Homesick Canberra Raiders youngster Anthony Milford eyes Brisbane Broncos move

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

ForeverMcCrone
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: #Forever McCrone

Re: Ayoub guarantees Milford will be in Canberra in 2014

Post by ForeverMcCrone »

green_queenslander wrote:what a season it has turned out to be!
your telling me lol and it hasnt even begun yet....
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

While ever there is a contract in existence, the Raiders MUST honour their side of it, so as not to give Milturd a legal or moral leg to stand on. Pay him as per contract. If he doesn't turn up, sue him to the floor, and if possible, drag the Broncos through mud too.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

From Sticky's radio interview today we wait to see what happens on 19 December when the World Cup players return for orientation. He has spoken to Milford and as a result expects him to be in Canberra on the 19th. We are holding to our side of the contractual arrangement as we should do. Both the Raiders and Sam Ayoub are on the same page about where Milford will be playing in 2014. Interesting comment about Bronco propagandist and 'journalist' Peter Badel of the Courier Mail. No love lost there.

As long as Milford is physically and mentally fit, I want to see him turn out for the Raiders. He is an electrifying attacking talent.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Andrew gee is in a massive hole, the new recruitment manager has the glory boys without any quality halves.

You can see why he is getting desperate.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

I don't want the Raiders to bend over backwards with this whole Milfarce thing, however by the same token I don't want him anywhere near the club in 2014. I genunely don't see the point. He doesn't want him here, and if a player doesn't want to be here, fans shouldn't want him here.

Best case scenario is he is sent packing, but sits out next year. Or we hold onto him next year, but just as 18th man. I hate the Broncos. Best to move and look to Ahearn (or Hoffman or Locke).
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Shadow Boxer wrote:Andrew gee is in a massive hole, the new recruitment manager has the glory boys without any quality halves.

You can see why he is getting desperate.
Must admit he's pretty good at accumulating fullbacks
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Haha, yes. barba is a massive risk though.

He's not a lightning quick teenager any more and was awful last season.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Shadow Boxer wrote:Haha, yes. barba is a massive risk though.

He's not a lightning quick teenager any more and was awful last season.
I wouldn't say awful but average.

He's had one good year off the back of a dominat forward pack, he's not guaranteed to be quality.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Yes, Barba has lost some of his quickness. Opposition are reading him better too. Serious risk that his best is behind him even at a young age. Doesn't have the guile of a player like Matt Bowen who could compensate in other areas when his speed diminished.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

It's hard to maintain brilliance consistently. Weasel will always have that x factor, but it will be diminished somewhat after a season or so when coaches work him out. Dude is just like McClindon
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

You blokes are pretty game righting off a dally M winner after one poor year which included injuries and significant off field distractions

My only issue with Barba and Milford is i dont think they are a good fit together. Both are jack in box style players who rely heavily on structure to chime in do their unpredictable stuff. With Milford being in the halves and Barba trying to work off him, i dont know how they get on the same wave length, given neither will know what the other is going to do on any given play.

IMO they'll have games where it clicks and they will score a lot of points and be very entertaining . But IMO they'll have stretches where it doesnt click and they'll be pretty awful. I think the Broncos future with Milford and Barba is basically what we've seen out of Benji Marshall and the tigers... unless they have a really good structure for him to work off, its flashes of brilliance and a lot of crap in between
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Don't think anyone's writing Barba off Nick just saying he's no sure thing to recapture the good form hes displayed in only 1 season of first grade
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Manbush wrote:Don't think anyone's writing Barba off Nick just saying he's no sure thing to recapture the good form hes displayed in only 1 season of first grade
What he said
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I'm not writing him off. Just don't think we will see the 2012 version again.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Especially if he is at 5/8 as the primary playmaker.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Barba 2012 was like campese 2008 and Hayne 09

ForeverMcCrone
John Ferguson

Post by ForeverMcCrone »

dubby wrote:Barba 2012 was like campese 2008 and Hayne 09
I'd take a 09 Hayne... Get on it Ricky lol
Green Machine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by Green Machine »

EDIT
Last edited by greeneyed on November 30, 2013, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Over the top comment
2011 Bronze Member - #8066
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Maybe send a copy of that to the Raiders to show all young players, it really puts into perspective what the players are doing and how immature they seem to others.

Pretty powerful post :clap:
Vaccinated
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Powerful post?

I'm sorry but this is one of the most ridiculous posts I've read.

The comparison is from another time, this generation has no affiliation to war, and the comparison is down right insulting.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Green Machine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by Green Machine »

Our generation has no affiliation to war? Go look at some of the young men weve lost in Afghanistan and then you will realise which one of us is insulting.
2011 Bronze Member - #8066
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Milford has been here since he was 13, no? Not since 2012.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
BrisbaneRaider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by BrisbaneRaider »

Toviii wrote:Milford has been here since he was 13, no? Not since 2012.
I think he's been contracted to the Raiders since he was 13, but only moved down to play SG Ball in 2011 I think it was.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

He was in our system but living in Brisbane
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Manbush wrote:
He was in our system but living in Brisbane
Righto. That makes sense.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Seriously ?

These players call themselves heros, think what they are doing playing footy makes them brave and above the average person.

What young men today and yesterday do by serving our country in war shows them to be a hell of a lot braver and mature then the likes of Milford and co.

Footy players think they have to give up scarifies to play footy, and yeah they do but not as many as a serving soldier over in Afghanistan who go over there to truly make a difference with more danger and less pay then footy stars get,

You think those overseas serving don't get homesick? Yep they do but they don't go "bring me home" they tough it out and do the job they chose to do.

And this generation has no affiliation with war? Look at the ages of the brave men we lost overseas serving, look at the young people on ANZAC day marching in uniform.

Maybe if the likes of Dugan, Milford and Fergo spent time looking past their own reflection in the mirror they would see how small their shadow is across the world compared the shadow of our servicemen cover making a difference to so many lives
Vaccinated
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Gee you're drawing a long bow there mate, comparing a WW1 digger to some [insert expletive here] from Inala.

Milford sold out. He and his parents were swooned and impressed by the Broncos dollars and promises. they didn't even think to let the Raiders counter or better the offer Brisbane made. Shows a sincere lack of insight, intelligence, and they also clearly succumbed to the pressure Brisbane applied. (I can hear the Broncos officials saying "must sign this now!) You can only wonder what kickbacks Ayoub received.

But I think you've insulted every digger who served his country, every soldier who has made sacrifices by comparing him to this Weasel.

Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Umm….
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Now Milf is a suicide risk if he returns to Canberra :shock:
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

Justin Beiber is made of sterner stuff than Milford. Don't need to go as far as comparing him to a digger.
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

Nick wrote:You blokes are pretty game righting off a dally M winner after one poor year which included injuries and significant off field distractions

My only issue with Barba and Milford is i dont think they are a good fit together. Both are jack in box style players who rely heavily on structure to chime in do their unpredictable stuff. With Milford being in the halves and Barba trying to work off him, i dont know how they get on the same wave length, given neither will know what the other is going to do on any given play.

IMO they'll have games where it clicks and they will score a lot of points and be very entertaining . But IMO they'll have stretches where it doesnt click and they'll be pretty awful. I think the Broncos future with Milford and Barba is basically what we've seen out of Benji Marshall and the tigers... unless they have a really good structure for him to work off, its flashes of brilliance and a lot of crap in between
I agree, they are very similar and, unless they develop other skills than they have shown thus far it could be a shambles.
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

Worm wrote:I just believe from a general point of view this will have a hell of a lot worse backlash than the Dugan/Fergo fiascos. If we were going to prove a point, they were the ones to do it to. They were the ones to hold without pay, to not sack etc..

We as a club have created this. By being way too lenient in the past to players that did not show the right level of commitment in return. And now, we have a bloke, who for all intents and purposes I see why he would stretch the truth to get the sumptuary in in his favour is the one paying for it. Yes, he has a year to go, but so did the others (I know Fergo had a clause).. Why did we not push it with Dugan?
Yes Halo is not a sick as being played out.. But it's his family. If it were your family in the same situation and were given the opportunity to take an offer like this closer to home, would you? I know I'd change my mind and attempt to get out if my contract too. In fact, I'm doing something similar now, which is why I've changed my tune. Sometimes you believe in things and things change. They have not gone about it the right way, but is there ever a right way to go back on your word?

He is no longer wort anything to us. He is a Bronco. Let him go. We get nothing from this..
We did push it with Dugan... We SACKED him... That's supposed to be a bad thing... But then the NRL turned around and rewarded him with a massive contract with the dragons and state of origin payments on top... It's no good to sack Milford because it rewards him... It's the opposite of what he deserves... Once Dugan was sacked it was out of the raiders' hands... So now they know this course of action doesn't work...

The club doesn't need to spend every waking minute thinking about this... They just refuse to pay him when he doesn't show up to work ... Other than that, it's business as usual... Even if Milford wanted to go to court, he'd have no grounds and very little sympathy...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

No use getting too upset about it or ragging out the guy IMO. He is just a 19 year old who plays football.

Time to move on. Better off spending our energy cheering on the players who want to be here.

It was killing me hearing this kids name called out in our lineup last year knowing this was eventually going to happen. I've had a gutful of players like Dugan, Ferguson and Milford. Hopefully now we can have a team player in the role and someone we can be truly proud of.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Does anyone actually want this **** at our club next season? ****, after the dramas of last season the last thing I want are uncommitted players, players who don't want to be here and players who think it is all about themselves. I'm sorry, but what I want above anything else, is a team who are proud to be representing Canberra and the Canberra Raiders.

Get rid of this ungrateful little ****. And honestly, contrary to what I said earlier, him being at Brisbane next season would give us Raiders fans the perfect chance to absolutely rip into him at our home game next season. He deserves it for treating the club the way he has...

I don't see what we gain by delaying the development of a Jack Ahearn to 2015. It just means that we are in for far more pain due to inexperience again down that track. And it is not like Jack is an untalented hack... the complete opposite IMO.
ForeverMcCrone
John Ferguson

Post by ForeverMcCrone »

I don't want him here. He can be 18th man.