Homesick Canberra Raiders youngster Anthony Milford eyes Brisbane Broncos move

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Re: Milford refusing to play for Canberra in 2014

Post by Ultima »

afgtnk wrote:Use the money to pay Teflon Don out of his contract, with the remainder contributing towards the wages of a competent CEO who can drag us out of this quagmire we're in.
Notice how you and Broncos fans are the only ones wanting this? Please state what some other CEO would have done instead? I mean with all your wealth of qualifications and experience in the subject....

Try looking at the subject here....

Milford - "I haven't given any guarantees. Now all this has come out ... when I get home there will be some conversations going on."

Anyone who says that obviously think they are in a position of power above everyone else, so **** them. I'm still trying to work out what the Raiders could have done different.... I'm assuming you would have been happier for us to take no chances on development and just sit in the bottom four week in and week out? You don't appear to post much when we win...
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: Ayoub guarantees Milford will be in Canberra in 2014

Post by Schifty »

Is there a way of seeing how many title changes this thread has had? :lol:
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Apparently Milford is back in Brisbane , flew in last night
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Reading through a bunch of **** now, the NRL will do nothing... It's frustrating as **** being a fan but I would not be the CEO or a member of the board right now for any **** money.... I mean where do they turn? The media is painting them as ****, blatantly lying half the time and they never get called up on it or post retractions. Even some fans are, for some reason, kicking them while they are down because they think it will play into their agenda... No **** idea what that agenda even is but they are going for it... Then the NRL picks it up and runs with it... Half the "articles" on their webpage may as well be written by the players/clubs they are talking about... "Dugan, who joined the Dragons in mid-2013 amid some controversy after falling out with then Canberra coach David Furner" Really? That's how it's being reported now? Not "after he decided he wanted to drink on a roof top while injured and on an alcohol ban instead of showing up for work" (that's being nice)?

**** the NRL, **** the Broncos, **** News Ltd. This competition is seriously dead....
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Ultima wrote:Reading through a bunch of **** now, the NRL will do nothing... It's frustrating as **** being a fan but I would not be the CEO or a member of the board right now for any **** money.... I mean where do they turn? The media is painting them as ****, blatantly lying half the time and they never get called up on it or post retractions. Even some fans are, for some reason, kicking them while they are down because they think it will play into their agenda... No **** idea what that agenda even is but they are going for it... Then the NRL picks it up and runs with it... Half the "articles" on their webpage may as well be written by the players/clubs they are talking about... "Dugan, who joined the Dragons in mid-2013 amid some controversy after falling out with then Canberra coach David Furner" Really? That's how it's being reported now? Not "after he decided he wanted to drink on a roof top while injured and on an alcohol ban instead of showing up for work" (that's being nice)?

**** the NRL, **** the Broncos, **** News Ltd. This competition is seriously dead....

I keep wanting to write more but it all comes down to the last line above for me.
Ham67
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Campo

Contracts

Post by Ham67 »

In North America it is not uncommon for teams with players who do not wish to honor contract obligations to try and force a trade to another team. Similar to what a certain young man is trying to do to a certain NRL team. On these occasions it is not uncommon for said team to appeal and be rewarded with the player being forced to honor such contract either in that year or if the decision to sit out a season the following year and so on. If said player is determined to play NRL again possibly in Brisbane in 2015 should he not be asked nicely to honor said contract before he can move on to GREENER pastures. After all he did sign a contract without having a revolver held to his head. Interested in what others think of this in relation to any player making a commitment to a team a la SBW.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

It's funny how ayoub and even the broncos are pretty much condemning /distancing from little Tony's blow up late yesterday.
This is all becoming pretty funny.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Ruben Daley wrote:
Ultima wrote:Reading through a bunch of **** now, the NRL will do nothing... It's frustrating as **** being a fan but I would not be the CEO or a member of the board right now for any **** money.... I mean where do they turn? The media is painting them as ****, blatantly lying half the time and they never get called up on it or post retractions. Even some fans are, for some reason, kicking them while they are down because they think it will play into their agenda... No **** idea what that agenda even is but they are going for it... Then the NRL picks it up and runs with it... Half the "articles" on their webpage may as well be written by the players/clubs they are talking about... "Dugan, who joined the Dragons in mid-2013 amid some controversy after falling out with then Canberra coach David Furner" Really? That's how it's being reported now? Not "after he decided he wanted to drink on a roof top while injured and on an alcohol ban instead of showing up for work" (that's being nice)?

I keep wanting to write more but it all comes down to the last line above for me.
I'm stealing the last line for my signature.

It is exactly how I feel.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Four NRL clubs on hunt for disgruntled Brisbane Broncos backline star Josh Hoffman

JOSH Hoffman is a man in demand with four NRL rivals, including the Titans, ready to pounce on the disgruntled Broncos fullback.

But Brisbane have issued a hands-off edict to suitors, insisting the Kiwi Test custodian will not be granted an early release under any circumstances.

The hunt for Hoffman is intensifying, with Canterbury, Cronulla and the Gold Coast having contacted his management since The Courier-Mail revealed his disenchantment last month.

Canberra officials have also informally expressed interest, but none of the quartet can lodge formal offers as Hoffman is contracted to Brisbane until the end of 2015.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/four-nr ... 6771709342
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

@BuzzRothfield: When will NRL step in and stop Broncos pinching under-contract players - then refuse to let unhappy Josh Hoffman go. #MASSIVE #CRISIS
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Wow something from Buzz that won't have Raiders fans up in arms :lol:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Manbush wrote:Wow something from Buzz that won't have Raiders fans up in arms :lol:
Going against his paymasters News Ltd as well.

#BuzzOffTheChain.
SLeAKeR
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Sticky

Post by SLeAKeR »

He's a good player no doubt.

I think a lot of people here getting all cranky and worried need to chill out.

We have Robbo, I believe if he is given the good word that Fullback is his, he will perform like he has in the past. We weren't too shabby then.

Gives Sami or Hawkins a look in on the wing.

**** Milford. Given that he has signed with the Broncos already we should just make him sit out and concentrate on the players that WANT to be here.

TL;DR - REECE ROBINSON!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Raidersrawesome wrote:@BuzzRothfield: When will NRL step in and stop Broncos pinching under-contract players - then refuse to let unhappy Josh Hoffman go. #MASSIVE #CRISIS

Buzz! My office, now!

RM

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Yeah, buzz is in the **** for that. Surely he knows the Broncos are a News Limited team. The editor must be on work experience ore something.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raidersrawesome wrote:@BuzzRothfield: When will NRL step in and stop Broncos pinching under-contract players - then refuse to let unhappy Josh Hoffman go. #MASSIVE #CRISIS
That's a joke tweet isn't it RRA? You made it up!
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

greeneyed wrote:
I had to check it was legitimate as well .

He'll probably get banned from reporting on NRL now :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Confusion reigns over Anthony Milford's future

We now know from his boxing debut that sacked Raiders star Blake Ferguson couldn't knock the top off anything but an alcopop. But let's try to make it clearer why everyone is fighting over Anthony Milford.

For those of you living under a rock - or similarly, in Queensland - let me fill you in.

Raiders chief executive Don Furner on Friday claimed Milford's contract with Canberra for 2014 is confirmed again - apparently in writing from Milford and his manager Sam Ayoub.

The reaction from Raiders fans on social media ranged from a tired acceptance and good riddance to outright spleen-venting anger. Some on the popular fan site Greenhouse agreed to brand him Milford.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/c ... z2m2KulGkA
ForeverMcCrone
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: #Forever McCrone

Post by ForeverMcCrone »

I hope he plays for us next year....as 18th man.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

did i read somewhere that there was a 300k carrot for Milford if he broke his contract with us ?
ForeverMcCrone
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: #Forever McCrone

Post by ForeverMcCrone »

country raider wrote:did i read somewhere that there was a 300k carrot for Milford if he broke his contract with us ?

Would explain why he signed with Brisbane......

P.S as horses like carrots.
86 invader
David Grant

Re: Contracts

Post by 86 invader »

Ham67 wrote:In North America it is not uncommon for teams with players who do not wish to honor contract obligations to try and force a trade to another team. Similar to what a certain young man is trying to do to a certain NRL team. On these occasions it is not uncommon for said team to appeal and be rewarded with the player being forced to honor such contract either in that year or if the decision to sit out a season the following year and so on. If said player is determined to play NRL again possibly in Brisbane in 2015 should he not be asked nicely to honor said contract before he can move on to GREENER pastures. After all he did sign a contract without having a revolver held to his head. Interested in what others think of this in relation to any player making a commitment to a team a la SBW.
:hmmm You would think so...
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

I may be reading too much into a couple of previous posts a couple of pages back but just a thought for those who are of the opinion that 'we sacked Dugan and Ferguson so we should just sack Milford and be done with it'...

I think it's important to acknowledge that the raiders were strong when they sacked Dugan... They were massively let down by the NRL who let him sign an enormous contract with the dragons and play state of origin... If the NRL had have been more supportive then, Milford wouldn't be as petulant as he is being...

This is why the raiders have to be firm on this issue... Keep Milford under contract and let him know in no uncertain terms that he is expected to be at training to earn his money... He can make his own decisions from there... If he doesn't front up to training, he'll be fined accordingly... Then Milford can decide what is more important... Living in Logan in 2014; or having an income...

This stance doesn't make the raiders look bad... It forces the NRL to confront the issue of what they want contracts in their competition to actually mean...
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

86 invader wrote:I may be reading too much into a couple of previous posts a couple of pages back but just a thought for those who are of the opinion that 'we sacked Dugan and Ferguson so we should just sack Milford and be done with it'...

I think it's important to acknowledge that the raiders were strong when they sacked Dugan... They were massively let down by the NRL who let him sign an enormous contract with the dragons and play state of origin... If the NRL had have been more supportive then, Milford wouldn't be as petulant as he is being...

This is why the raiders have to be firm on this issue... Keep Milford under contract and let him know in no uncertain terms that he is expected to be at training to earn his money... He can make his own decisions from there... If he doesn't front up to training, he'll be fined accordingly... Then Milford can decide what is more important... Living in Logan in 2014; or having an income...

This stance doesn't make the raiders look bad... It forces the NRL to confront the issue of what they want contracts in their competition to actually mean...
Just read another 8 pages but you are dead right (mostly). Dugan was rightly sacked and it was the NRL who were as weak as Pearce. Carney walked away and was on the other hand rightly stood down for a year (so he's copped his ban and fair play, sadly). Flake walked away and hasn't yet seen what sort of NRL punishment he rightly deserves for walking away, regardless of his civil action. Milford appears to be walking away and to my mind sits firmly in the Carney camp of precedence.

I don't get why Worm is so firmly attached to the idea that we should somehow enhance our club's standing by letting Milfedit go. Possibly Worm was on the early sack the spanner wagon and now arguments have become conflated: I don't know, but I don't think their is any honour for the Raiders in acceding to the Broncos' wishes. There's certainly no honour in bowing before this Peter Badel character. Is there an "anti-walkely award"?

I also don't think that a decision to make Milfedit sit out the season would have any effect whatsoever on the rest of the Raiders squad. It's not like the guy will be heckling from the sidelines on Battye Street. He'll be earning NOTHING in Logan. Brown envelopes aside.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote:

:lol:

I had to check it too. Buzz must have been on the drink
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote:Confusion reigns over Anthony Milford's future

We now know from his boxing debut that sacked Raiders star Blake Ferguson couldn't knock the top off anything but an alcopop. But let's try to make it clearer why everyone is fighting over Anthony Milford.

For those of you living under a rock - or similarly, in Queensland - let me fill you in.

Raiders chief executive Don Furner on Friday claimed Milford's contract with Canberra for 2014 is confirmed again - apparently in writing from Milford and his manager Sam Ayoub.

The reaction from Raiders fans on social media ranged from a tired acceptance and good riddance to outright spleen-venting anger. Some on the popular fan site Greenhouse agreed to brand him Milford.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/c ... z2m2KulGkA

Good article
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

just how many times has this threads main heading changed ?

I'm onto it...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

green94 wrote:just how many times has this threads main heading changed ?

I'm onto it...
you know what, screw that. I just started scrolling through this whole thread and after 7 pages its just to much :nooo
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
yarnos20
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yarnos20 »

Schifty wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
I had to check it was legitimate as well .

He'll probably get banned from reporting on NRL now :lol:
From everything that has come out recently (Queensland media excluded) everyone is saying he should honor the last year of his contract. Everyone except the courier mail is not buying into the tired 'family reasons' excuse... Even Nathan Hindmarsh was saying he should stay in Canberra for 2014...

I'm not buying for a second that our image will be tarnished by sticking firm with this... Having Buzz **** Rothfield take our side should be evidence enough of that.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

With everything that has come out since, that CM article with the Milford interview seems seriously dodgy. Even more dodgy than usual for that publication.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

I like Milford as the name
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I really don't know why anyone thinks the Raiders will cop it over this one. Brisbane have done the dirty on the Raiders and everyone knows it, including the NRL.

Personally I would like to see a more organised media and club driven campaign to address this. Starting with a code of ethics for player managers. If this issues highlights one thing it is the need for player managers to be held accountable when they blatantly undermine contracts.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Nick wrote:I like Milford as the name
It's my least favorite of the 3, I prefer Milfarce and Lui's new Milfedit
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Green eyed Mick wrote:I really don't know why anyone thinks the Raiders will cop it over this one. Brisbane have done the dirty on the Raiders and everyone knows it, including the NRL.
As long as those aligned to neither club are sticking up for the Raiders in this it's great. Don should be on the phone to all anti Bronco journalists and the other 14 clubs CEOs to garner support for the **** fight that's about to begin.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'm loving how the title suggests that Sam Ayoub can guarantee anything in this Milfarcical situation.

If the kid simply decides not to turn up in 2014 I'm sure he and his family won't be short of a dollar and I'm equally sure the NRL won't do a damn thing to investigate why that is.

Most of the players are happy to see him go, and that's from the horses mouth. The best we can hope for is either a) he sits out 2014 and we don't pay him a cent or b) we get compensation from the Broncos. At this stage I just can't see him putting the boots on for Canberra or giving us what we need next season. It'll turn out like the Ben Barba story at the Dogs, and that was a complete disaster for them last season.

It's a joke. The whole thing became way too much of a circus months ago.