Homesick Canberra Raiders youngster Anthony Milford eyes Brisbane Broncos move

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Re: Milford refusing to play for Canberra in 2014

Post by Captain Punish »

Exactly Kiwi. He is worth very little value. If anything he detracts more than he adds.
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

kiwi raider wrote:a 19 year old superstar fullback who doesn't to be here and at best is here for 12 months is quite different.
People are really forgetting that he was FINE to sign a contract, was looking to move them down here, then SUDDENLY (as they didn't want to move down here, allegedly) he HAS to be home, he MUST be in Brisbane... Yeah... I'm sure no money or goods were promised/traded hands before this all started AT all... He just had a MASSIVE and sudden change of mind to that extent....

For people who weren't here, the original rumour was that some Broncos staff meet them at the airport on return from Canberra...
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

He has no loyalty to anyone other than himself.
baz
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Wighton

Post by baz »

I just made the mistake of picking up a courier mail on my lunch break. Not only did the banner read 'rage against the green machine' but it also compared stickys situation to milfords of course. And then said that we should simply ask for 100k and be done with it.

I was originally agreeing with worms points but from the outside the club is already being dragged through the mud by news Ltd so why not try to take it to court in the background ala sbw .

I think this goes past the current playing group and we need to let the nrl know we wont take any more of this treatment from other clubs and their media interests.

I think we need to make a stand now so that the 2014-16 rebuilding will again end this way and the cycle will continue. That the nrl has not once come to our defence in any way speaks volumes of their inability to take positive action towards the smaller clubs in the competition.
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

I still say this is just season 2015 going from bad to spoon material... People keep saying "it won't affect anyone" but these are quotes from YESTERDAY:
Stuart said he was confident Milford would remain focused. ‘‘I’ve got no concerns at all that he’ll be 100 per cent committed.’’

Raiders legend Alan Tongue believes the Mal Meninga medallist can take his game to the next level without distractions about his future hanging over his head. ''No doubt he'll rip in next year for us, he'll be a lot more settled with his decision now..."

Canberra Raiders prop Tom Learoyd-Lahrs insists the playing group has no doubts departing star Anthony Milford will give his all for the club next season.
Pretty sure, considering our playing group has the mental strength of a box of tissues, that this could even **** up 2015....
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Worm wrote:
Timbo wrote:
Worm wrote:If they don't have clauses that can be executed to begin with the issue will not rise.

In addition this is different to the others.

We are taking a season worth of ill discipline issues out on a kid that is leaving for an entirely different and somewhat understandable reason..

What are you guys not getting?
Wait, you buy into this Halo Milford Bull?

I'm calling it, worm is a Broncos spy.
Just before you get cheeky, have a read of all my posts on this matter.

I am in no way naive enough to believe that halo is unwell. But I will go on the record and admit that if he wants to go home cause his dads not 100% and yeah, he may not be that sick now, but anything can happen, well he has the right to want that. People have the right to change their minds. They have gone about this the wrong way, and they are in the wrong, but they will get thewir way whether you like it or not and whether the club stands firm or not. the only thing that is 100% assured when it comes to Canberra is the club will comeout of this whole affair looking like the bad guy.

It will not make the current players under contract think they better not mess with the Raiders like you all believe.. All it will prove is this club has no idea about player welfare and they take their crap out on the easy targets whilst they allow ill disciplined players that should have been pulled into line a hell of a lot earlier to get away scot free.

The current players will only look at the club for the joke it already is and leave on the own accord. It will not make them more passionate. It will ust lose them further and make us even more undesirable to those players not yet with us. Geez, if our own junior wouldn't stay for the most part of a mill, who the **** would?
Sorry Worm but I have to disagree. We already look like the bad guy. Brisbane already tossed the Raiders under the bus via the courier mail when they printed quotes from his mother.

The Raiders have already taken the publicity hit when they refused the release when it was first requested. Now he has signed a $450K deal, an increase of more than $300K on the final year of his deal with the Raiders. Nobody is going to believe his sob story.

"The extra $300K the Broncos will pay me if I can get released has nothing to do with me wanting out of my contract" not a compelling case IMO and the only media outlet that will keep pushing the sob story will be the Courier mail.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Worm wrote:
Timbo wrote:I'm glad the consensus here seems to be, **** this guy and **** him hard.

As for the folks worried about this derailing our 2014 season... I hate to be the bearer of bad news guys, but 2014 walked out the door a while ago.
So let's **** it harder is your suggestion?

**** me.. There is a lot guys on this forum that need to open their eyes a little more and remove the feel sorry for Canberra blinkers..

The amount of bull*** being thrown around this forum seeking retribution or digging in etc is laughable.

The kid wants nothing to do with Canberra.. So yeah.. Great idea, let's dig our heels in, look pathetic, drag this out into the season proper and prove to the league what most clubs suspect. That we are a joke. Or let him go, move on, concentrate back in footy and try and get the year back on track..
Worm you are so wrong in this.

If the Raiders give in, you will have every player who wants more money breaking contracts and leaving our club.

Then we can develop players like Cornish, Cronin, Ahearn only to have them leave cause they want more money.

If we give in, we f*** ourselves even further.

There is a contract in place, if you want to honour it, it is there, if you don't, then you can sit out the year because why would we want him playing against us when we can prevent it
ForeverMcCrone
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: #Forever McCrone

Post by ForeverMcCrone »

Ultima wrote:Oh and one more thing, on Hoffman - It's already been said in the papers that "The Broncos told the Bulldogs they wouldn't release Hoffman unless they got Milford for this year" basically confirming that they have been trying to get him to breach his contract (which we all knew but first time I've seen it acknowledged anywhere apart from this forum, although they did also just breese over it)... As this will benefit the Broncos and the Bulldogs, does anyone really think the NRL is going to stand up for the Raiders?
What a surprise. Of course the nrl won't stand up for us.
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley

Post by Captain Punish »

I doubt that GEM. The DT and SMH will be riding it just as hard.. It's a player welfare story.. look at how they played the role of care giver to Carney, Fergo, Dugan and the many others from many other clubs.. This is going to hurt, and hurt bad if they pursue this.

It will not make us look better as a club. It will only reinforce everyones thoughts - we are a poorly runclub with massive internal issues and we take it out on the THIRD person who leaves in a year when he is the one who has a clause.. Poor form.
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
ForeverMcCrone
John Ferguson

Post by ForeverMcCrone »

Wiggy wrote:
Timbo wrote:I posed this question last night:

What can we get from the Broncos by way of compensation that would make it worthwhile?

Because if it's anything short of a 19 year old superstar fullback then frankly we've been had.
I'd take Andrew McCullough, the full costs of Milfords 2014 contract, and an agreement that Milford cannot play against the Raiders until 2017
Is McCullough any good? I'd take the cost of Milford's contract for this year too and I'd love to see him play against us down here. Let the bloke suffer with the Canberra crowd. #scumbag #Milford
ForeverMcCrone
John Ferguson

Post by ForeverMcCrone »

Toviii wrote:
robtheraider wrote:
This may not be all about money, but i'll bet its 90% of it...so hit him where it hurts. (mind you i'll bet London to a brick the broncs are forwarding funds already...alleged trip to the world cup to watch your son play ?)
Just on that note, did anyone else hear the rumour that Milford is now driving a new $80,000 car? If true, I wonder where it came from?
You know exactly where it came from. 3rd party Broncos deals.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

TBH milford's manager sounds more reasonable then milford.

I going to really struggle to cheer the bloke on next year.
ForeverMcCrone
John Ferguson

Post by ForeverMcCrone »

papabear wrote:TBH milford's manager sounds more reasonable then milford.

I going to really struggle to cheer the bloke on next year.
He better not be in a green jumper next year. He either sits out here or leaves.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

If the broncos are left with barba playing 5/8 on last years form they are in for a world of hurt.

Make him sit out just on that basis alone. This is a business and we will be in the mix with the broncos for positions 7-10 on the ladder.
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Worm wrote:It will not make us look better as a club. It will only reinforce everyones thoughts - we are a poorly runclub with massive internal issues and we take it out on the THIRD person who leaves in a year when he is the one who has a clause.. Poor form.
Yeah looking bad is not a **** excuse for not doing something... Stop trying to blame the victim for what others are doing... Please do tell how ANY club could have handled this particular situation differently, based on what is known externally, with-out letting contracts, already worth less than a promise from Abbott and Co., be a total farce? You can't let people just walk out when they **** feel like it... He signed a contract, he was going to move his parents here, suddenly everything changed, and apparently it's due to poor management by the Raiders... Nothing to do with the scum Broncos at all...
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley

Post by Captain Punish »

Regs Revolution wrote:
Worm wrote:
Timbo wrote:I'm glad the consensus here seems to be, **** this guy and **** him hard.

As for the folks worried about this derailing our 2014 season... I hate to be the bearer of bad news guys, but 2014 walked out the door a while ago.

**** me.. There is a lot guys on this forum that need to open their eyes a little more and remove the feel sorry for Canberra blinkers..

The amount of bull*** being thrown around this forum seeking retribution or digging in etc is laughable.

The kid wants nothing to do with Canberra.. So yeah.. Great idea, let's dig our heels in, look pathetic, drag this out into the season proper and prove to the league what most clubs suspect. That we are a joke. Or let him go, move on, concentrate back in footy and try and get the year back on track..

If the Raiders give in, you will have every player who wants more money breaking contracts and leaving our club.

Then we can develop players like Cornish, Cronin, Ahearn only to have them leave cause they want more money.

There is a contract in place, if you want to honour it, it is there, if you don't, then you can sit out the year because why would we want him playing against us when we can prevent it
I think you are missing the point. They will leave regardless. Proving a point for the sake of proving a point does not make you right. It also does not make you desirable, be it to those that are contracted ot those that are one day likely to be.

But you know what.. Vent away. The Club will no doubt make their mind up and our opinions mean little. But in my opinion if they pursue this its lose / lose.. If we finish it, be the good guy and safe face now, we have a chance to recoup some faith.
cholztrad
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by cholztrad »

Regs Revolution wrote:
Worm wrote:

Agree Regs, we don't need to put even more reasons in our players heads on how they can get out of a contract. It's a lose / lose situation but a bigger loss if we just keep bending over backwards.
Last edited by cholztrad on November 29, 2013, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cholztrad
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by cholztrad »

Worm wrote:
Regs Revolution wrote:
Worm wrote:

I think you are missing the point. They will leave regardless. Proving a point for the sake of proving a point does not make you right. It also does not make you desirable, be it to those that are contracted ot those that are one day likely to be.

But you know what.. Vent away. The Club will no doubt make their mind up and our opinions mean little. But in my opinion if they pursue this its lose / lose.. If we finish it, be the good guy and safe face now, we have a chance to recoup some faith.
So your saying lets just letting keep letting these selfish players get away with it and keep looking like a bunch of cats that are scared to face up to the big dogs. It's got to stop somewhere, If it was an isolated case it will be a different story but it's became a pretty common practice.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Ultima wrote:Got a lot of work on ATM so just posting a quick few thoughts:

Milford = Disloyal ****... How long until he pulls a SBW on the Broncos and goes to another sport/club offer more money? Apparently he is "only" on $450K a year at the Broncos.

"It must be a Raiders cultural thing" = So **** over hearing this... It's just blame the victim BS! Do people who say this realise that's like saying "it must have been the way she was dressed" to a rape victim (I realise rape is a lot worse than all of this but it was the first example that came to mind that people would recognise)

"Just let him go, over it" = Um... No... That's the problem, similar things keep happening, we keep getting bent over and they go on to the next club with basically no disadvantage.

"We should at least get financial combo!" = Yes, however that will NOT make it OK... I'm glad some people here are happy being a breeding ground for the rest of the league, I'm not. We do not want to become a development club who just gives people a start/brings them back from the brink/etc then takes a cash payment and lets them move on... We need to fight not **** lay down!

As for why we released that press statement, I'm going to say it's because his manager (who appears fine with it all, I wonder if he was in on this too just to make us look even worse in the media?) told us that's what was going on... A lot of players, former players, people in the media have come out talking about it as well, can't wait to hear Belcher's rebuttal (see his original article on nrl.com) to Milfrauds backflip on this matter.

Also my vote is for Milford.
Comparing the Canberra Raiders culture being questioned in any way to a female rape victim is absolutely bizarre. And actually very offensive to those questioning our culture.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

This whole thread is bizarro world to be honest.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The raiders are picking a fight with the biggest, wealthiest, most powerful club in the NRL.

This is a real David and Goliath fight
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Worm wrote:I doubt that GEM. The DT and SMH will be riding it just as hard.. It's a player welfare story.. look at how they played the role of care giver to Carney, Fergo, Dugan and the many others from many other clubs.. This is going to hurt, and hurt bad if they pursue this.

It will not make us look better as a club. It will only reinforce everyones thoughts - we are a poorly runclub with massive internal issues and we take it out on the THIRD person who leaves in a year when he is the one who has a clause.. Poor form.
The club is going to get it in the ear no matter what they do. Why hand Milford an extra $300K and the Bronco's their player if the end result will be the same?

If you think the media will do a 180 on this should the Raiders release him you are mistaken.
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley

Post by Captain Punish »

A fight we are losing already and will be absolutely destroyed by the end.

For what? A kid that's going to use emotional reasons to play the victim to win the war, when he doesnt want to be here anyway??
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley

Post by Captain Punish »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Worm wrote:I doubt that GEM. The DT and SMH will be riding it just as hard.. It's a player welfare story.. look at how they played the role of care giver to Carney, Fergo, Dugan and the many others from many other clubs.. This is going to hurt, and hurt bad if they pursue this.

The club is going to get it in the ear no matter what they do. Why hand Milford an extra $300K and the Bronco's their player if the end result will be the same?

If you think the media will do a 180 on this should the Raiders release him you are mistaken.
No they won't do a 180. They will just not start. It willbe dead by chrissy and we can get on with it.. End of story..

What are we really fighting for? Simply to be a ****. That's why!! We are never going to win.. In any way.
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Worm wrote:A fight we are losing already and will be absolutely destroyed by the end.

For what? A kid that's going to use emotional reasons to play the victim to win the war, when he doesnt want to be here anyway??
... No one here wants wants Milford, we aren't fighting for him, we are fighting for everyone else.... Three players in one year pull the same **** with a different spin on it and you think it will never happen again?
Last edited by Ultima on November 29, 2013, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yarnos20
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yarnos20 »

Worm wrote:A fight we are losing already and will be absolutely destroyed by the end.

Can you point out any harsh criticism the Raiders have been succumbed to? Courier Mail excluded...

From the majority of stuff I've seen in Sydney media people are feeling sorry for the Raiders.

I think you are greatly exaggerating this 'Backlash' we will face if we try and stand up for what's right.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

That's just sad Worm, we should man up and take them to court.

You need to read our posts, nobody on here expects Milford to play for us again.
yarnos20
Brett Mullins

Post by yarnos20 »

If we don't fight this we might as well scrap contracts completely. People can just come in and play for us until they get a better offer then leave. We could be like a big rugby league drop in centre
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm very disappointed in you Anthony.

You have shown no respect to your employer

If you were my son I'd ground you until 1st November 2014

when you start acting like a man I will start treating you like one
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

If we fight this my guess is we'll have 14 other clubs and their fans hoping we win just for the precedent it would set if he's just allowed to break his contract (plus the fact it's against the Broncos)
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
yarnos20
Brett Mullins

Post by yarnos20 »

Manbush wrote:If we fight this my guess is we'll have 14 other clubs and their fans hoping we win just for the precedent it would set if he's just allowed to break his contract (plus the fact it's against the Broncos)

Exactly... Anyone with half a brain can see that we aren't in the wrong.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Worm wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:

No they won't do a 180. They will just not start. It willbe dead by chrissy and we can get on with it.. End of story..

What are we really fighting for? Simply to be a ****. That's why!! We are never going to win.. In any way.
We are fighting to prevent a rival club from gaining a significant advantage. Simple as that really

If we let Milford go he gets to earn an extra $300K that he doesn't deserve. Broncos get rewarded for their arseholery. And the biggest issue is it gives Brisbane an advantage on the field that is not just unfair to the Raiders but unfair to all clubs. We also send a strong message to all player managers that they are free to seek out better deals for their clients at anytime during the contract period because Canberra is afraid of some hack newspaper.
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley

Post by Captain Punish »

They will gain it anyway. Milford will be there come round one.

So we either drag ourselves through the mud for no point, or we drag ourselves through the mud for no point.. Your choice..
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Worm wrote:They will gain it anyway. Milford will be there come round one.

So we either drag ourselves through the mud for no point, or we drag ourselves through the mud for no point.. Your choice..
How so?
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

I don't know how we can explain it any clearer.....