Homesick Canberra Raiders youngster Anthony Milford eyes Brisbane Broncos move

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Re: Milford refusing to play for Canberra in 2014

Post by Captain Punish »

Shadow Boxer wrote:That's just sad Worm, we should man up and take them to court.

You need to read our posts, nobody on here expects Milford to play for us again.
Yeah, you are right... We should all get worked up and yell really loud and bang things and be men.. It will definitely chane things..
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Why are you so afraid of the Courier-Mail worm?

What does it matter if they write mean things about us? Who cares?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Worm wrote:
Shadow Boxer wrote:That's just sad Worm, we should man up and take them to court.

You need to read our posts, nobody on here expects Milford to play for us again.
Yeah, you are right... We should all get worked up and yell really loud and bang things and be men.. It will definitely chane things..
Seriously dude, slow down and read, I didn't say any of that.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Better I guess if we just bend over and take it
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Manbush wrote:Better I guess if we just bend over and take it
I'm glad Worm isnt in charge.
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley

Post by Captain Punish »

Come on.. That kind of condescension is not necessary. It's the long term repercussions this has for the club. Like SB said, I don't know how I can explain this any clearer??
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
Choc Magic
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Choc Magic »

@nphony Milf@rce
jedski
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Post by jedski »

Worm wrote:
Regs Revolution wrote:
Worm wrote:
Timbo wrote:I'm glad the consensus here seems to be, **** this guy and **** him hard.

As for the folks worried about this derailing our 2014 season... I hate to be the bearer of bad news guys, but 2014 walked out the door a while ago.
So let's **** it harder is your suggestion?

**** me.. There is a lot guys on this forum that need to open their eyes a little more and remove the feel sorry for Canberra blinkers..

The amount of bull*** being thrown around this forum seeking retribution or digging in etc is laughable.

The kid wants nothing to do with Canberra.. So yeah.. Great idea, let's dig our heels in, look pathetic, drag this out into the season proper and prove to the league what most clubs suspect. That we are a joke. Or let him go, move on, concentrate back in footy and try and get the year back on track..
Worm you are so wrong in this.

If the Raiders give in, you will have every player who wants more money breaking contracts and leaving our club.

Then we can develop players like Cornish, Cronin, Ahearn only to have them leave cause they want more money.

If we give in, we f*** ourselves even further.

There is a contract in place, if you want to honour it, it is there, if you don't, then you can sit out the year because why would we want him playing against us when we can prevent it
I think you are missing the point. They will leave regardless. Proving a point for the sake of proving a point does not make you right. It also does not make you desirable, be it to those that are contracted ot those that are one day likely to be.

But you know what.. Vent away. The Club will no doubt make their mind up and our opinions mean little. But in my opinion if they pursue this its lose / lose.. If we finish it, be the good guy and safe face now, we have a chance to recoup some faith.
Sorry Worm, but taking the holier-than-thou approach here is wrong. If this was a genuine case where Halo had genuinely deteriorated or was unable to leave Brisbane, I think that management would have sat down with him to work out a way for him to enact the exit clause in his contract. But with Halo traveling unhindered, allegedly even following his son to the UK for the World Cup, it's apparent that Milford/Ayoub/Milford's family have been trying to play up these emotional excuses to get out of his contract.

I can see the logic with saying that if a player doesn't want to be here, that he shouldn't be made to stay and disrupt everyone else, however these kids need to be held accountable for their actions, much the same as if you or I signed a contract and then tried reneging. If he wants out, he needs to find a way to buy out of his contract or be prepared to sit out a season.
* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Worm wrote:They will gain it anyway. Milford will be there come round one.

So we either drag ourselves through the mud for no point, or we drag ourselves through the mud for no point.. Your choice..
I don't see how. Unless you are on the NRL conspiracy wagon what makes you think the NRL will force the Raiders to release him?

Milford requested a release months ago. If the NRL were going to intervene and grant it Milford would not have even finished the season with the Raiders.

I am pretty comfortable the Raiders position that he plays or sits out is supported by the NRL. If it wasn't we wouldn't even be having this discussion because Milford would be on the Broncs payroll already
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

DBOT187 wrote:Milford, MILFARCE, Milbull, scumford,
Milford wins.
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley

Post by Captain Punish »

Bipolar Bear wrote:
Worm wrote:
Regs Revolution wrote:
Worm wrote:
Timbo wrote:I'm glad the consensus here seems to be, **** this guy and **** him hard.

As for the folks worried about this derailing our 2014 season... I hate to be the bearer of bad news guys, but 2014 walked out the door a while ago.

**** me.. There is a lot guys on this forum that need to open their eyes a little more and remove the feel sorry for Canberra blinkers..

The amount of bull*** being thrown around this forum seeking retribution or digging in etc is laughable.

The kid wants nothing to do with Canberra.. So yeah.. Great idea, let's dig our heels in, look pathetic, drag this out into the season proper and prove to the league what most clubs suspect. That we are a joke. Or let him go, move on, concentrate back in footy and try and get the year back on track..

If the Raiders give in, you will have every player who wants more money breaking contracts and leaving our club.

Then we can develop players like Cornish, Cronin, Ahearn only to have them leave cause they want more money.

There is a contract in place, if you want to honour it, it is there, if you don't, then you can sit out the year because why would we want him playing against us when we can prevent it
I think you are missing the point. They will leave regardless. Proving a point for the sake of proving a point does not make you right. It also does not make you desirable, be it to those that are contracted ot those that are one day likely to be.

But you know what.. Vent away. The Club will no doubt make their mind up and our opinions mean little. But in my opinion if they pursue this its lose / lose.. If we finish it, be the good guy and safe face now, we have a chance to recoup some faith.
Sorry Worm, but taking the holier-than-thou approach here is wrong. If this was a genuine case where Halo had genuinely deteriorated or was unable to leave Brisbane, I think that management would have sat down with him to work out a way for him to enact the exit clause in his contract. But with Halo traveling unhindered, allegedly even following his son to the UK for the World Cup, it's apparent that Milford/Ayoub/Milford's family have been trying to play up these emotional excuses to get out of his contract.

I can see the logic with saying that if a player doesn't want to be here, that he shouldn't be made to stay and disrupt everyone else, however these kids need to be held accountable for their actions, much the same as if you or I signed a contract and then tried reneging. If he wants out, he needs to find a way to buy out of his contract or be prepared to sit out a season.
I disagree. But I have said that already I believe.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

Nobody is saying he suits up next year. Everyone is saying he has played his last game for the Raiders.

If he was on $800,000 a season and there was an $800,000 a season player available to replace him I think everyone would agree that releasing him makes sense. But he isn't, and there isn't. The only two groups that benefit from him leaving are the Broncos and Milford himself.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Timbo wrote:Nobody is saying he suits up next year. Everyone is saying he has played his last game for the Raiders.

If he was on $800,000 a season and there was an $800,000 a season player available to replace him I think everyone would agree that releasing him makes sense. But he isn't, and there isn't. The only two groups that benefit from him leaving are the Broncos and Milford himself.
And **** both of them in the ear
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

stay strong don, hold your ground. he plays for us or not at all....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

We are a development-focused club, that can't afford to let clubs like the Broncos just waltz in and steal our players. By fighting this, we are letting other clubs know that they can't pull this s**t on us without a whole lot of trouble.

I couldn't give a flying F about the kid anymore. But if we roll-over then other clubs will continue slime in and pinch our juniors. Why make it easy for them.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Bipolar Bear wrote:
Worm wrote:
Regs Revolution wrote:
Worm wrote:

Wise words Humphrey, wise words
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

green94 wrote:stay strong don, hold your ground. he plays for us or not at all....
No, his attitude has seen to the fact he should not play for us ever again. He should be forced to sit next season out.
raiders8294
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by raiders8294 »

Hi All,

I'm really suprised by the latest update from Milford and agree it will be hard to let him go.

But what kind of "Morale" ground do we have? Our esteemed coach used pretty much the same excuse to get out of his Parra deal after one year and now we take the morale high ground.

While I agree that he should honour his contract, we kind look like a pack of mongrels if we allow the whole Stuart thing to pass and not allow Milford to go back to Brissy.

N.B. I guess the obvious thing here is why are we not calling for the sacking of Don Furner, he has handled this absoultely terribly and should fall on his sword so that the Raiders organisation can start fresh.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Timbo wrote:
green94 wrote:stay strong don, hold your ground. he plays for us or not at all....
No, his attitude has seen to the fact he should not play for us ever again. He should be forced to sit next season out.
that's what I just said.... :nooo
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

raiders8294 wrote:Hi All,

I'm really suprised by the latest update from Milford and agree it will be hard to let him go.

But what kind of "Morale" ground do we have? Our esteemed coach used pretty much the same excuse to get out of his Parra deal after one year and now we take the morale high ground.

While I agree that he should honour his contract, we kind look like a pack of mongrels if we allow the whole Stuart thing to pass and not allow Milford to go back to Brissy.

N.B. I guess the obvious thing here is why are we not calling for the sacking of Don Furner, he has handled this absoultely terribly and should fall on his sword so that the Raiders organisation can start fresh.
There is a MASSIVE difference between Ricky and Milford. Milford has an enforceable contract Ricky did not. End of story

If Ricky's contract was enforceable the Raiders would have either had to pay compensation to Parra or choose a different coach. The fact that Ricky's contract allowed him to leave at any time makes all the difference.
Last edited by Green eyed Mick on November 29, 2013, 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Decorous Muse
Ruben Wiki

Post by Decorous Muse »

thanks for pointing that out raiders8294, I can see how it's just like the Stuart thing now that you mention it and yeah we should let him go
The Vindicated wrote:You would be hard pressed to find anyone who hasnt committed some kind of vandalism in their life, leaving your car to avoid getting breath tested is actually quite smart
Bay56 wrote:cant understand people who come in here and whinge
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley

Post by Captain Punish »

green94 wrote:
Timbo wrote:
Ignore Timbo.. He is just pushing his point of view whether he realises it's the same or not..
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

greeneyed wrote:Anthony Milford's Canberra Raiders return in doubt

Anthony Milford is threatening not to return to Canberra in 2014, conflicting with the statements made by the Raiders and his manager Sam Ayoub on Wednesday.

But Fairfax Media spoke to Milford's manager, Sam Ayoub, on Wednesday, when he he was well aware of the Raiders' statement and that Milford was "satisfied with the outcome".

"Like a game of footy there's one winner and a loser, there aren't even draws these days because of [golden-point] ... In this one it's probably the closest thing to a draw," Ayoub said.

Asked how committed Milford, the Mal Meninga Medallist in 2013, would be to Canberra next season, Ayoub said: "I'd like to see him be player of the year again in 2014".

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/canb ... z2lzWVWva5
Yes fairfax, fight fire with fire :)
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Broncos Troll, **** off. A player who was find and his family was moving down here until some magical moment happened and he suddenly wanted to be a Bronco all his life, ignoring the fact they told him to get **** as a kid. Only think I have against Furner is not attacking the Broncos and the NRL MORE on this issue.
Decorous Muse
Ruben Wiki

Post by Decorous Muse »

you all know what's going to happen if he sits out next year anyway. He's going to come back in '15 and destroy us time and time again for many years to come. He'll win Dally M's and be a media darling all over the shop, he'll retire a champion of the game. But that's OK, because we got him to sit out a year once.

let him go, who cares. We'll just get screwed over again anyway, chucking a hissy fit hasn't made jack all difference in the past
The Vindicated wrote:You would be hard pressed to find anyone who hasnt committed some kind of vandalism in their life, leaving your car to avoid getting breath tested is actually quite smart
Choc Magic
Peter Jackson

Post by Choc Magic »

'we' lol
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Decorous Muse wrote:you all know what's going to happen if he sits out next year anyway. He's going to come back in '15 and destroy us time and time again for many years to come. He'll win Dally M's and be a media darling all over the shop, he'll retire a champion of the game. But that's OK, because we got him to sit out a year once.

let him go, who cares. We'll just get screwed over again anyway, chucking a hissy fit hasn't made jack all difference in the past
Surely that is better than it happening in 2014?

It isn't a hissy fit. It is enforcing a contract.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

green94 wrote:
Timbo wrote:
Sorry, misread what you said.
Decorous Muse
Ruben Wiki

Post by Decorous Muse »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Decorous Muse wrote:you all know what's going to happen if he sits out next year anyway. He's going to come back in '15 and destroy us time and time again for many years to come. He'll win Dally M's and be a media darling all over the shop, he'll retire a champion of the game. But that's OK, because we got him to sit out a year once.

yeah but what difference is it going to make? We're just prolonging our own pain for a year. Then it will just hurt more when he bashes us in 2015 because it'll be like he gets his revenge on us
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

I think it's becoming less and less about the player, for the Raiders.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

@TimGavel: Raiders say they have a written agreement from Anthony Milford to play for Canberra in 2014 which has been backed by NRL.

Backed by the NRL. We might have them on our side yet
raiders8294
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by raiders8294 »

Ultima wrote:

Broncos Troll, **** off. A player who was find and his family was moving down here until some magical moment happened and he suddenly wanted to be a Bronco all his life, ignoring the fact they told him to get **** as a kid. Only think I have against Furner is not attacking the Broncos and the NRL MORE on this issue.
Really, is that all you can say. Don't forget what "The Don" did to his very own brother, David. Or have you forgotten that little part.

The sooner that we are rid of the Funrer legacy the better. It isn't 1982 anymore need to move with the times.
Choc Magic
Peter Jackson

Post by Choc Magic »

Decorous Muse wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:

yeah but what difference is it going to make? We're just prolonging our own pain for a year. Then it will just hurt more when he bashes us in 2015 because it'll be like he gets his revenge on us

The difference is we dont come out of this whole thing looking as weak as usual
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Manchild wrote:@TimGavel: Raiders say they have a written agreement from Anthony Milford to play for Canberra in 2014 which has been backed by NRL.

Backed by the NRL. We might have them on our side yet
I believe if the NRL weren't backing the Raiders on some level Milford would have been gone months ago. We know Brisbane came calling 4 or 5 months ago and Ayoub wanted him released then.

The Raiders didn't budge, the NRL didn't force them to. Nothing has changed other than Milford has signed a big contract in 2015, making him even less likely to receive sympathy from the NRL knowing if they release him he will walk into an approx $300K upgrade and every club with a player signed at a rival club in 2015 will be up in arms.
Last edited by Green eyed Mick on November 29, 2013, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

raiders8294 wrote:
Ultima wrote:

Really, is that all you can say. Don't forget what "The Don" did to his very own brother, David. Or have you forgotten that little part.

The sooner that we are rid of the Funrer legacy the better. It isn't 1982 anymore need to move with the times.
No it's not... If it was 1982 people might actually be concerned about looking like a self important over privileged little **** and contracts actually meant something. It was also the glory days before the stain which is the Broncos existing in the competition. If someone stood out of line in 1982 they would have been told to harden the **** up, be clipped over the side of the head and either get over it or get on the dole.

Don Jr has done well in this entire thing. They said "**** off we won't play this out in the media" Milford and his manager are the ones who had a permanent morning meeting with News Ltd. They get the yes from his manager, then suddenly the little **** decides he isn't getting enough attention and goes crying to News Ltd. yet again and all your Broncos fanboys eat it up.

Maybe as a Broncos fan you can't fathom hard word or not getting your way. We have been **** stood on and used as a doormat for too **** long and the club needs to make a **** stand and tell every other player out there that you can not **** hold the club to ransom! If this was the army he would be looking at jail time for breaching his contract. While it will never go that far, contracts need to mean something for the rest of the world as well, we can't keep letting people just not show up for work and get a better offer elsewhere! Can you imagine if this happened where you work? There is no **** hope in hell anyone would not be pissed at them and they wouldn't be sued so why should this be any different???