Todd Carney sacked... again

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

If it's an option, would you want him back?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 51

Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Re: OFFICIAL: Todd Carney sacked... again

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Some of the bush lawyers on here are funny.

"I'm sorry I robbed that bank your honour but that bloke over there robbed a bigger bank therefore I am innocent".
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

After plenty of attempts the Raiders couldn't save Carney from himself, the Chooks couldn't save him from himself either and now the Sharks.
The reason he was given so many chances was his footballing talent. But he has lost even that in 2014. As mentioned earlier, the Sharks have won one game less than the Raiders. Carney has played in 9 of their games including two where he played 80 minutes and they were beaten with Zero to show on the scoreboard. He is no longer the Dally M player of 2010. Just as Campo is no longer the player of 2008 or 2010. In 2014 there is no evidence that Carney is a footballing improvement on Campo or JMc.

I want to see the NRL stick to its Code of Conduct for the betterment of the game. The new ARLC Management have an opportunity to make decisions the old Management would not. The ARLC cannot retrospectively go back to actions of other players who have been dealt with by the previous Management. Unless and until the likes of those mentioned as also being grubs, again break the Code there is nothing for the current Management to do with them over their previous behavior. Carney however, has again breached the Code of Conduct, so his prior behavior can now be taken into account. They have already said 'No' to Ferguson's re-registration before the June 30 deadline. Time will tell what they do with the Registration of Todd Carney.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Totally agree red, it's all moot anyway, carney is finished.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ugly-a ... 6972939893
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

VictorTheViking wrote:Love it how a lot of you are just sitting here and assuming he won't be seen again in the NRL.....lol
What makes you think he will be back? If he serves a two year ban he will be close to 30 when he comes back, the guys career is over IMO.

I don't think some people realize how this type of stuff affects EVERY team in the NRL. I used to work for a fairly large national company and when they were looking at sponsoring a club rugby league was ruled out because a couple of directors wives didn't like the Joel Monaghan pic that was floating around at the time, so a six figure sum went to the Brumbies instead.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

Shadow Boxer wrote:Some of the bush lawyers on here are funny.

"I'm sorry I robbed that bank your honour but that bloke over there robbed a bigger bank therefore I am innocent".
Don't you find it odd Lui, Bird and co can still play after what they did, yet Carney is to be banned for life? I'm also struggling to see how Carney can be banned when scumbags like Bellamy and Cameron 'the accountant' Smith barely got a mark on their names. What they did was far worse as they lied and cheated every single person with a interest in the game for years.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Thanks for the link Shadow Boxer I had not seen any of that before. At this point in time, there is no club looking to recruit Carney so there is no decision for the NRL to make because there is no registration in the offing. It will be interesting to see what happens from the NRL should any Club try to sign him. One interesting point from the Carney interview was he referred to himself as being 'stronger than that'. It's a shame he loses such resolution when it comes to alcohol. I still remember the stories of him having cups of tea with his mum after he won the Dally M. A pity he later went back to anything stronger than a Lipton's tea bag.

Hi DJ89, that was all handled by the prior NRL management. Unless they do something from now on under the new Management, then it has been dealt with and they are free to play on.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Rodman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Rodman wrote:No-one will ever convince me that Todd Carney is less entitled to a career than Greg Bird, Robert Lui, or Blake Ferguson.

He's a bell-end, but he's not sub-human.
None of those people are entitled to an NRL career.
Greg Inglis, Joel Thompson?
I know the list.

Without knowing all the facts, I'm not prepared to put Thompson and Inglis in the same category as those scumbags.
Oh I forgot Ben Teo as well. I was actually hoping that GE would answer, but you seem to have a double standard there. Where do you draw the line? Bird was never convicted, so I take it that proven guilt isn't your threshold.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

Bird plays for NSW, doctor.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

OFFICIAL: Todd Carney sacked... again

Post by Raidersrawesome »

NRL 'unlikely' to welcome Todd Carney back

Todd Carney has effectively been banned for life by the NRL after the competition's governing body declared it was "highly unlikely" the sacked Cronulla five-eighth would be allowed back.

The fallout from the termination of Carney's $650,000-a-season contract with the Sharks continued on Monday as Cronulla's training session was called off, Sharks players visited him at his apartment and a Twitter user going by the name of @MarkRaider1 was identified as the person who was responsible for uploading the vile photo of the player on social media that has cruelled his career.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z36ABaO79E
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Ugly antics mean Carney has played his last game of NRL of NRL, and he has only himself to blame

TODD Carney has been effectively banned for life from the NRL, with officials on Monday declaring they would be highly unlikely to ever again register a playing contract for him.

The 28-year-old had his contract with Cronulla torn up on Sunday night following the release of a photograph showing Carney performing a vulgar act at a nightclub urinal.

The incident has cost the disgraced footballer at least $3 million and other codes have indicated they won’t grant him a lifeline.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6972939893
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Does anyone else realise this markraider1 is the bloke Dugan told to end himself, and that he should let Dugan have a go at his missus?
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Please
Gary Belcher

Post by Please »

What a legend
Well, at least Jack got paid.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Its an interesting story either way.

The fact that we are interested shows how bad we are going.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

papabear wrote:Its an interesting story either way.

We are interested ?
-LG-
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by -LG- »

Raider Bell wrote:Does anyone else realise this markraider1 is the bloke Dugan told to end himself, and that he should let Dugan have a go at his missus?
Really, that is interesting. :hmmm

Rather ironic that a bitter Raiders fan was Carney's ultimate undoing.
Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Rodman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Rodman wrote:No-one will ever convince me that Todd Carney is less entitled to a career than Greg Bird, Robert Lui, or Blake Ferguson.

He's a bell-end, but he's not sub-human.
None of those people are entitled to an NRL career.
Greg Inglis, Joel Thompson?
I know the list.

Without knowing all the facts, I'm not prepared to put Thompson and Inglis in the same category as those scumbags.
Oh I forgot Ben Teo as well. I was actually hoping that GE would answer, but you seem to have a double standard there. Where do you draw the line? Bird was never convicted, so I take it that proven guilt isn't your threshold.
I draw the line at smashing a glass into a woman's face and then trying to get your 'mate' to take the rap.

I couldn't give a rats whether or not Bird was 'found' guilty. Only a complete buffoon doubts his guilt.
#BoneMcCrone
cholztrad
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by cholztrad »

It's just been reported the Sharks coach has just quit.
Arnie
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Arnie »

cholztrad wrote:It's just been reported the Sharks coach has just quit.
Yeah saw that too. Sad to say this but it gives me a little bit more comfort that there might be another club doing it tougher than ours.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Arnie wrote:
cholztrad wrote:It's just been reported the Sharks coach has just quit.
Yeah saw that too. Sad to say this but it gives me a little bit more comfort that there might be another club doing it tougher than ours.
Really?. We are just as **** as them but at least they appear somewhat committed to changing things. The Raiders and a large chunk of their fans are deluded. We think we can change our fortunes without fundamentally changing the way we do business.

Top to bottom we are a club of losers. We have forgotten how to win and more importantly why we MUST start winning. The Raiders are dying a death of 1000 cuts. Most of which are self-inflicted.

**** its depressing to be a Raiders fan ATM.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

This article is spot on for me.

Three million reasons enough was enough when it came to troubled star Todd Carney
Paul Kent

TODAY’S sermon comes from the finance department, a public service announcement to all those believing Todd Carney was hard done by. Chances are, I’ve heard it already ...

He only harmed himself. Can’t a guy have a night out without it ending up in the papers? No-one else was involved. Who else’s business is it? Surely an incident this small can’t cost him his career?

It’s an argument old enough to buy wrinkle cream, and goes around every time a players is sacked for poor behaviour. And while the momentum is slowly shifting it keeps being repeated, a fading voice in the wind of reason.

So that’s why today we are in the finance department. Maybe people will understand better if we put it in terms different to what you or I find socially acceptable.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/three-m ... 6972851877
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
5tumpy
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by 5tumpy »

Raider Bell wrote:Does anyone else realise this markraider1 is the bloke Dugan told to end himself, and that he should let Dugan have a go at his missus?
That is nuts... If that's true he's like a career assassin...
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

NRL: Carney not banned for life

THE playing future of Todd Carney remains to be seen, but the NRL say they have not banned the disgraced five-eighth for life.

Carney was sacked by the Sharks after a disturbing photo of him performing a lewd act appeared online on Saturday night.

However, when asked on Tuesday if Carney would be banned for life, NRL chief operating officer Jim Doyle said: “No, I wouldn’t say a life ban, because you never say never.

“But from our point of view . . . based on what he’s done and his past, we would find it first and foremost surprising if any team wanted him to be part of their club.

“Even if they did, obviously we would have to take into consideration everything he has done.”

Read more: http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/nrl-carne ... nned-life/
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

papabear wrote:Its an interesting story either way.

I think you need to look up the meaning of the word "fact".
2014 Golden Boogs Award Winner
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher

Post by Raider Bell »

Why so happy today Bduct?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Rodman wrote:I draw the line at smashing a glass into a woman's face and then trying to get your 'mate' to take the rap.

I couldn't give a rats whether or not Bird was 'found' guilty. Only a complete buffoon doubts his guilt.
Ok so that's where you draw the line. mashing a glass into a woman's face is unacceptable, but smashing a fist into a woman's face is? I'd argue that neither are acceptable, but that's just me.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Raider 85 wrote:
T_R wrote:I know I'll get flamed, but so be it.

Carney is a decent, loyal and good hearted man who has absolutely no control of himself when drinking, and utterly lacks the ability to stop drinking.

Alcohol will take everything he values and loves away from him.

I feel sorry for him and contempt for him that he can't or won't stop drinking. In the end, it'll kill him.
Paul Kent said something very similar on Fox Sports this evening. Like you, it wasn't without hesitation through fear of getting caned for having sympathy for him.
I feel sorry for the people Carney treated like **** throughout his life. Like the young fans that got hassled or even assaulted by Carney and his mates for daring to interact with the arrogant dips**t.

The kid needed serious help years ago and unfortunately the NRL has never had the kahunas or the foresight to help the Raiders help players like him for the future benefit of the code.

It is rare for people from his background to get the support and innumerable opportunities he has had. He is a massive tool who deserves everything he gets IMO.
-LG-
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by -LG- »

I hate it when people sweep away a multitude of sins by reference to "oh he was just p*ssed". It's so naïve and hints at a sheltered existence and a lack of actual exposure to alcoholism/binge drinking/mental illness.

These people choose to drink in spite of their knowledge of what happens when they drink. They are responsible, therefore, for all that follows when they make that choice.

Many of their actions and words whilst drunk are a manifestation of their actual thoughts and desires whilst sober (Carney barking at women in a club whilst drunk indicates to me a poor attitude towards women in everyday life, for example).

I'm sure - as with the Raiders - the Sharks have a thick dossier on Carney's recent behavior. There have been rumblings for a while. This was the tip of the iceberg.
Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Rodman wrote:I draw the line at smashing a glass into a woman's face and then trying to get your 'mate' to take the rap.

Ok so that's where you draw the line. mashing a glass into a woman's face is unacceptable, but smashing a fist into a woman's face is? I'd argue that neither are acceptable, but that's just me.
No, it's not "just you" - both are unacceptable.

However, I don't know all of the facts of those other cases, and thus I am not comfortable putting those players in the same category as Bird. I have absolutely no doubt that Bird glassed his ex-girlfriend, irrespective of whether he was found guilty or not.

You can hop off of your pedestal now.
#BoneMcCrone
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

Seiffert82 wrote:
Raider 85 wrote:
T_R wrote:I know I'll get flamed, but so be it.

Carney is a decent, loyal and good hearted man who has absolutely no control of himself when drinking, and utterly lacks the ability to stop drinking.

Alcohol will take everything he values and loves away from him.

I feel sorry for him and contempt for him that he can't or won't stop drinking. In the end, it'll kill him.
Paul Kent said something very similar on Fox Sports this evening. Like you, it wasn't without hesitation through fear of getting caned for having sympathy for him.
I feel sorry for the people Carney treated like **** throughout his life. Like the young fans that got hassled or even assaulted by Carney and his mates for daring to interact with the arrogant dips**t.

The kid needed serious help years ago and unfortunately the NRL has never had the kahunas or the foresight to help the Raiders help players like him for the future benefit of the code.

It is rare for people from his background to get the support and innumerable opportunities he has had. He is a massive tool who deserves everything he gets IMO.
I don't disagree. I was just giving TR the heads up that someone within the field of sports had already offered an opinion not dissimilar to his.

Paul Kent also followed it up, however, with a piece in the paper titled "3 million reasons Carney had to go", which for me, summed things up perfectly.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Rodman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:

No, it's not "just you" - both are unacceptable.

However, I don't know all of the facts of those other cases, and thus I am not comfortable putting those players in the same category as Bird. I have absolutely no doubt that Bird glassed his ex-girlfriend, irrespective of whether he was found guilty or not.

You can hop off of your pedestal now.
I'm on no pedestal mate and I don't believe for a second that you believe punching a girl in the face is acceptable. The reality is you don't know all the facts for any of those cases. Inglis' story sounded equally as BS as Birds. Your system for deciding who should and shouldn't play in the NRL seems to be based on whether you think that they are guilty or not, despite what the courts say. Like it or not, they were found not guilty in a court of law. Carney on the other hand has handed over photographic proof of his shenanigans. I agree that in comparison, like Monaghan, his actions were minor. The difference is that there is no doubt of his guilt.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Just because Greg Bird isn't deserving of a place in the NRL (and in an ideal world would be in prison) isn't a reason not to sack Carney, someone who while less criminally culpable, is still completely undeserving of a place in the NRL.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Michael wrote:Just because Greg Bird isn't deserving of a place in the NRL (and in an ideal world would be in prison) isn't a reason not to sack Carney, someone who while less criminally culpable, is still completely undeserving of a place in the NRL.
Michael, we've gone over Bird before, and I'm not interested in doing it again. However, suffice to say, using Bird as the example to make a point with Carney aside, well said - completely agree.

Only a complete buffoon would make a case (in the manner which you've suggested above) for Carney still deserving of a spot within the NRL.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher

Post by Raider Bell »

I think which side of the Carney sacking you're on depends on the basis for the sacking you believe. I've seen a lot of people saying that no way he should be sacked for a photo that only hurts himself, and in a way there's a small amount of merit to that.

The other camp is judging the sacking on his prior, rather lengthy, list of offences, of which it is quite understandable that he was sacked. It was really the only decision if you think about the big picture.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Put me down for the latter, RB.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher

Post by Raider Bell »

No problems R85, just updated it in my spreadsheet.