Jarryd Hayne signs with Gold Coast Titans

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: Jarryd Hayne quits NRL for NFL trial

Post by Manbush »

Credit to Hayne for doing it for the right reasons, unlike the previous code hoppers Hayne will take a substantial paycut even if he does make a team over there unless he shines. What practice team members get about $100k, minimum wage for a roster member $400k?
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

Those are the figures quoted in this morning's paper, yes.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Manbush wrote:Credit to Hayne for doing it for the right reasons, unlike the previous code hoppers Hayne will take a substantial paycut even if he does make a team over there unless he shines. What practice team members get about $100k, minimum wage for a roster member $400k?
Yep he's taking a big hit

Roster spot will get you close to 500k, PS you should clear 100kish
that'll increase in 2017 when the new CBA kicks in, i think the min wage is going to 700k

Even if he smashes the testing and the team is utterly convinced he can be a gun, he wont get a cent over the minimum wage and it will be completely unguaranteed, which means at any moment, the team will be able to cut him without paying him a cent more.

It's a ballsy move, no question
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Read em last night wasn't 100% sure my memory was serving me correctly, minds still a bit jumbled.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Baywatch
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by Baywatch »

Pete Carroll was very guarded whilst talking about Hayne. Could just be reading something into nothing but I get a feeling he might have some sort of training squad gear paired up. Going to a great team would be best where he could get the culture and game knowledge down pat without pressure to perform.
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Baywatch wrote:Pete Carroll was very guarded whilst talking about Hayne. Could just be reading something into nothing but I get a feeling he might have some sort of training squad gear paired up. Going to a great team would be best where he could get the culture and game knowledge down pat without pressure to perform.
Richard Sherman made a general comment too. Must be something in it, even if its barely existent. He took a tour of the place. He obviously did the scouting physical at UTS, and by his admission, did pretty well. I think he might get a look in at a training camp or 2, but how far he gets will be 100% up to him and his fast learning of the game. I don't like his chances TBH.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

I can see the path clearly, one day the UTS training squad, and next the Seahawks special teams.

It's any wonder I'm not the Australian Cricket Captian yet. I'd be up for it, even if it meant parading around in Bonds underwear with retired tennis players.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think there is a very good chance Hayne will spend some time over the next 6 months training for the NFL, they'll figure out his best spot based on some testing, and train him for that spot, and then Carroll will bring him in to the Seahawks next year for TC as part of the 90 man TC rosters, and from there we'll find out
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

So, now you think there's some validity to the Seahawks' coach's comments yesterday, rather than the comments from the communication's officer which suggested TC doesn't even know who he is?
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

A Parra fan taking the news of Haynes departure pretty hard.

Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Have just seen a piece on fox sports news about the US media suggesting "Jarryd Hayne is over the hill" and "is a long shot at making it" etc.

So he's definitely being discussed within US NFL circles, but said circles are not necessarily backing him in.

Edit - one bloke backing him, provided he can learn the strategic side of the game, is one of the Seahawks' players.
Last edited by Professor on October 16, 2014, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote:I think there is a very good chance Hayne will spend some time over the next 6 months training for the NFL, they'll figure out his best spot based on some testing, and train him for that spot, and then Carroll will bring him in to the Seahawks next year for TC as part of the 90 man TC rosters, and from there we'll find out
Off current knowledge, this seems most likely.

Hayne mentioned WR in one of those articles this morning as his spot. I believe this is mostly based on speed in which he can learn and integrate into the game, and the fact that he likens himself to punt/ kick returners Hester and Harvin, who are both WR. However, given his physique, many commentators are looking at RB, and while there is a tendency to look for RB's around 5'10 and 210lbs like Marshawn Lynch, or LeSean McCoy these days, there are plenty of starting RB's with Haynes physique.

Best match is:
Matt Forte 6'2 and 218lbs, Chicago Bears.

Close in both counts are:
Adrian 'ALL DAY' Peterson 6'1 and 217lbs, Minnesota Vikings (arguably the best RB the NFL has ever seen).
Darren McFadden 6'1 and 218lbs, Oakland Raiders.
Arian Foster 6'1 and 227lbs, Houston Texans.

Other starters 6'0 plus:
DeMarco Murray 6'0 and 217lbs, Dallas Cowboys (current NFL leading rusher).
La'Veon 6'1 244lbs, Pittsburgh Steelers (I think he is still the #2 rusher, and for his size, is ridiculously agile).
Chris Ivory 6'0 and 222lbs, New York Jets (poor bastard).
Steven Jackson 6'2 and 240lbs, Atlanta Flancons ('last of the Mohicans'... where Mohicans = 'tank' running backs)
Rashard Jennings 6'1 and 231lbs, New York Giants (BOOOOOO! HISSSSSSSS!).
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Found some starting WR comparisons:
Miles Austin, 6'2 and 217lbs, Cleveland Browns.
Anquan Boldan, 6'1 and 220lbs, San Francisco 49ers.
Dwayne Bowe, 6'2 and 221lbs, Kansas City Chiefs.
Dez Bryant, 6'2 and 220lbs, Dallas Cowboys (YEAH BABY!).
Michael Crabtree, 6'1 and 214lbs, San Francisco 49ers.
Alshon Jeffery, 6'3 and 216lbs, Chicago Bears.
Julio Jones, 6'3 and 220lbs, Atlanta Flacons.
Jordy Nelson, 6'3 and 217lbs, Green Bay Packers.
Mohamed Sanu, 6'2 and 210lbs, Cincinnati Bengals.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Here's my prediction.

Hayne will line up for Parra in March after failing.

Thousands of young men on college scholaships don't make the grade and Hayne will end up back at Parra quick smart. my opinion only...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote:Found some starting WR comparisons:
Miles Austin, 6'2 and 217lbs, Cleveland Browns.
Anquan Boldan, 6'1 and 220lbs, San Francisco 49ers.
Dwayne Bowe, 6'2 and 221lbs, Kansas City Chiefs.
Dez Bryant, 6'2 and 220lbs, Dallas Cowboys (YEAH BABY!).
Michael Crabtree, 6'1 and 214lbs, San Francisco 49ers.
Alshon Jeffery, 6'3 and 216lbs, Chicago Bears.
Julio Jones, 6'3 and 220lbs, Atlanta Flacons.
Jordy Nelson, 6'3 and 217lbs, Green Bay Packers.
Mohamed Sanu, 6'2 and 210lbs, Cincinnati Bengals.
Id see him as a Josh Gordon type or receiver. Basically the same build. And i see them as a good comparison because Gordon is a very limited route runner.
I know you're just matching sizes, but those guys you listed, save for Jeffery, they are route runners.

Josh Gordon really only runs the basic route tree. Old school Dallas Cowboys 1-9 tree. And even then he doesnt run any Curls or comebacks, nor many flats, digs or outs. He mostly runs Slants, Go, Corner and Post routes

If Hayne was a naturally gifted returner and he may be, his skill set is quite good for that. But if he is, they could try and coach him up as they did Josh Gordon to run a few other routes and bank on his athleticism to beat DBs inspite of sloppy route running.

The trouble is he is never going to come to it naturally. And if he has to concentrate really hard on the route he's running, he'll be a step or two slower than he should be, which is all DB's need to make plays on the ball.

For those interested, basic route tree:
Baywatch
John Ferguson

Post by Baywatch »

Humorous listening to all the clueless people that say he would be a running back. Was having a think about it and the only bloke in the NRL i think who is even remotely suited to being a RB would be Konrad Hurrell.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Hurrell? As an NFL noob the reasoning I gathered for Hayne was he has a good combination of speed and strength, good at finding gaps, evasion and changing direction at speed plus he'd be able to throw the best lateral in the comp, where as Hurrell just has power which against those monsters wouldn't be enough, I can't see him running through those behemoths like he does NRL centres and wingers.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Baywatch wrote:Humorous listening to all the clueless people that say he would be a running back. Was having a think about it and the only bloke in the NRL i think who is even remotely suited to being a RB would be Konrad Hurrell.
Hurrell could only play a power back though, Jerome Bettis style. I reckon Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has the right attributes. Good physique, lower centre of gravity, speed off the mark and some Barry Sanders like moves.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Piggy, was only looking at physical traits. At this stage thats about the only comparison anyone can make. He will only ever have basic routes, because he wont have time to get complicated. His training will be the KISS principle - Keep it Simple Stupid.

If he was 21, maybe he has time to be a RB, but at 26, WR is his best chance.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote:
Baywatch wrote:Humorous listening to all the clueless people that say he would be a running back. Was having a think about it and the only bloke in the NRL i think who is even remotely suited to being a RB would be Konrad Hurrell.
Hurrell could only play a power back though, Jerome Bettis style. I reckon Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has the right attributes. Good physique, lower centre of gravity, speed off the mark and some Barry Sanders like moves.
Hurrell would be a really interesting goal line/short yardage back/fullback
Baywatch
John Ferguson

Post by Baywatch »

Manbush wrote:Hurrell? As an NFL noob the reasoning I gathered for Hayne was he has a good combination of speed and strength, good at finding gaps, evasion and changing direction at speed plus he'd be able to throw the best lateral in the comp, where as Hurrell just has power which against those monsters wouldn't be enough, I can't see him running through those behemoths like he does NRL centres and wingers.
Actually putting all those attributes as and utilising them effectively is immensely difficult, plus like Nick said learning everything about the playbook and schemes and the many nuances of playing the position to use all that, it almost can't happen for Hayne. Hurrell with the right physical training could work with a simple gameplan and leg drive.
Northern Raider wrote:Hurrell could only play a power back though, Jerome Bettis style. I reckon Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has the right attributes. Good physique, lower centre of gravity, speed off the mark and some Barry Sanders like moves.
Yeah, almost exactly what I was thinking. Or someone to come in and vulture some TD's from 1 or 2 yards out.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Hurrell would be the guy who ends up with 3 carries for 4 yards and 2 TDs
fantasy players would hate him :lol:
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

NFL interest in Jarryd Hayne exceeds 'wildest expectations' after NRL superstar announces code switch

Jarryd Hayne's manager Wayne Beavis has been inundated with interest from NFL franchises and offers by United States-based agents keen to assist the Parramatta superstar succeed in his attempted code switch.

As Beavis and Hayne begin planning on Friday for his move to Los Angeles, they will not have to worry about raising the 26-year-old's profile as the websites of NFL franchises and major sports news outlets in the US are carrying stories of his decision to quit the NRL in a bid to make it in the American game.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 1731i.html
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

In terms of exposure, Hayne's killing it - The NRL would be spewing, I'd imagine.

Here's a good article comparing, among other things, the management of both codes - http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/jarryd ... 17060.html
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

What a fantastic article
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep. There needs to be many, many, many more articles like that published. Straight to the point.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Got mail which indicates that the Seattle communication's officer was sandbagging...
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Might be reading too much into it, but Harvin is going to the Jets. All of a sudden Carrolls comments about Hayne are getting fishier...
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

Harvin WAS NOT moved on to make.room for Hayne. That's just stupid talk.
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Matt wrote:Might be reading too much into it, but Harvin is going to the Jets. All of a sudden Carrolls comments about Hayne are getting fishier...
You sir, are an idiot. If you think Seattle are cutting a Pro-Bowl wideout to make room for an Aussie nobody who's never played a single minute of competitive (american) football...goodness me.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Raider 85 wrote:In terms of exposure, Hayne's killing it - The NRL would be spewing, I'd imagine.

Here's a good article comparing, among other things, the management of both codes - http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/jarryd ... 17060.html
The fact that I sit at my desk at home and watch 12 live games concurrently on redzone channel, all in HD, while Channel 9 broadcasts one live game per week, two delayed, and all of them in standard definition, says it all really.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote:Might be reading too much into it, but Harvin is going to the Jets. All of a sudden Carrolls comments about Hayne are getting fishier...
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Meh, Seattle don't need Percy. We'll roll on just fine without
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Michael wrote:
Raider 85 wrote:In terms of exposure, Hayne's killing it - The NRL would be spewing, I'd imagine.

The fact that I sit at my desk at home and watch 12 live games concurrently on redzone channel, all in HD, while Channel 9 broadcasts one live game per week, two delayed, and all of them in standard definition, says it all really.
Yep, I've got mates who follow the NFL religiously who've been highlighting for quite a while the vast contrast in how both sports are presented.

I quite liked the above article also highlighting the manner in which both sports are commentated. It's refreshing to have someone in the media - particularly a journalist for the SMH - under which Gould is contracted - highlight the unprofessional manner in which Gould's little boy's club often commentate the game to us.

I do wonder, though, if in fact our gripes are actually shared more broadly - I mean, the game only recently secured a $1 billion television deal, which means the punters have still be tuning in. Perhaps said punters are like me - talk / bitch a big game about the failures of the NRL and 9 in how they present the game - non high def, delayed telecasts, immature commentating etc but when it actually comes down to it, they invariably cop all this sweet, as the product itself is what floats their boat.