Ricky Stuart hit with $20,000 fine over press conference

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Re: Ricky Stuart hit with $20,000 fine over press conference

Post by cat »

BJ wrote:Unlike the fine, This was nothing like the worst ref bagging or coach behaviour in NRL history.

NRL commission know it is easier to come down heavy on Canberra than other clubs. Hell they were too scared to properly investigate Brisbane over total salary cap cheating.
That's the thing , toovey , hasler and co are just as bad as Ricky

I still support Ricky doing it , yes it comes out of our grant and therefore costs us money but staying silent and saving money wasn't helping!
Vaccinated
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The nrl finds a new way to say to the raiders ; you're irrelevant and we know it.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Geez if Ricky is getting fined for saying nothing I suggest he rips into these muppets next time. Slap 10k on the desk and go nuts.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Will be interesting to see what happens this weekend. Whether we actually get the rub of the green or if we are penalized into oblivion.

I'm also concerned that if the players feel like referees are the only reason they are losing games then they aren't working on the glaring deficiencies with their game.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

dubby wrote:The nrl finds a new way to say to the raiders ; you're irrelevant and we know it.
We will always be the ugly step-sister until we force our way into the ball. That comes with solid results and being contenders at the business end of the season.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Sticky needs to Bennett the **** out of todays press conference. mumbled 1 or 2 word answers thick with contempt.
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
dubby wrote:The nrl finds a new way to say to the raiders ; you're irrelevant and we know it.
We will always be the ugly step-sister until we force our way into the ball. That comes with solid results and being contenders at the business end of the season.
I thought we were the ugly duckling. :hmmm
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Green eyed Mick wrote:Sticky needs to Bennett the **** out of todays press conference. mumbled 1 or 2 word answers thick with contempt.
That would be **** sensational! We all know that the NRL would hit him with a 30k fine though.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Should just mass email Archer with emails titled "I saw what Ricky saw, you jerk".

Maybe leave off the jerk bit.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

No, I like the jerk bit. It's punchy.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I don't really agree with the reasoning but I'm definitely up for call Archer a jerk. I'm out if that's not what we're doing though
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

The more I think about this the more it concerns me. If the coach is complaining about how unfair the referees are on us, regardless of the legitimacy of the claim, the more the players will buy into this mentality.

We may have eventually lost to the dogs on the back of a bad call but we also have up a 26 point lead! Similar against the broncos.

If we could sort out the fact that our edge defense is complete rubbish and the fact that we only ever seem to be able to be switched on for 60 minutes of the game we would be taking the chance of these kind if calls being so important.

If this team thinks recent results are down to poor calls they are kidding themselves and externalising the problem will do nothing to make it go away.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Don Furner says the Canberra Raiders will wait until Monday to decide whether to appeal the 20,000 fine imposed on the club. They will review similar cases and the fines imposed in those cases.
godofcheese
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by godofcheese »

This week, win lose or draw, Stick needs to walk in, sit down and say

"The refereeing this season is ******* atrocious, there's my $10K fine, so I've saved myself $10K this week and got that question out of the way. What's next?"
Interstate Member #3382
How is 2017 Looking?: 1. J Wighton, 2. J. Rapana, 3. J Croker (C), 4. J. Leilua, 5. N. Cotric, 6. B Austin, 7. A. Sezar, 8. S. Boyd, 9. J Hodgson, 10. J. Paulo, 11. J. Papalli, 12. E. Whitehead, 13. S. Soliola, 14. K. Baptiste, 15. J. Tapine, 16. D. Taylor, 17. L. Bateman = Looking Good
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

Or he can say "the referees are the best in the world" and then wink at the camera
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
godofcheese
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by godofcheese »

Aero wrote:Or he can say "the referees are the best in the world" and then wink at the camera
"I'm not sure what Voldemort was up to today. He is certainly working in mysterious ways."
Interstate Member #3382
How is 2017 Looking?: 1. J Wighton, 2. J. Rapana, 3. J Croker (C), 4. J. Leilua, 5. N. Cotric, 6. B Austin, 7. A. Sezar, 8. S. Boyd, 9. J Hodgson, 10. J. Paulo, 11. J. Papalli, 12. E. Whitehead, 13. S. Soliola, 14. K. Baptiste, 15. J. Tapine, 16. D. Taylor, 17. L. Bateman = Looking Good
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Or he could y'know, talk about the game, areas we need to improve in, areas he is happy with, and clearly and calmly point out errors with the officiating if there is any, without blowing his stack and also prefacing it by saying as a team we are striving to be a team that are good enough to over come it 50/50 calls

What... What if he did that?
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Boring
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Pigman wrote:Or he could y'know, talk about the game, areas we need to improve in, areas he is happy with, and clearly and calmly point out errors with the officiating if there is any, without blowing his stack and also prefacing it by saying as a team we are striving to be a team that are good enough to over come it 50/50 calls

His done that. It doesn't generate much interest.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

He was actually copping some flak for that
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Pigman wrote:Or he could y'know, talk about the game, areas we need to improve in, areas he is happy with, and clearly and calmly point out errors with the officiating if there is any, without blowing his stack and also prefacing it by saying as a team we are striving to be a team that are good enough to over come it 50/50 calls

Probably because he doesn't really have a case.
2014 Golden Boogs Award Winner
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

bileduct wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:

What's your opinion on hunts try last night compared to Croker's no try?
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

Dr Zaius wrote:
bileduct wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:

Didn't see it and don't really care.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote:

And what interest did this generate?
media personalities cracking wise, the NRL laughing at us at fan forums and the interwebz a buzz at the club and coaches latest sook, and we paid 20k for the privilege?
Doesnt sound like a productive use of our time, money or energy to me.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Should have gone the pigman route.

Keep taking what the NRL are dishing and just be better. You know, you weren't trying to be better before. Just be better guys.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

greeneyed wrote:
cat wrote:Also archer believes they are reviewed publicly cause he does a little talk on nrl.com every week
He didn't talk this week. And it is hardly being reviewed publicly, he's interviewed by a bloke employed by the NRL, to talk about a range of issues he's prepared to talk about, on the NRL website.
Regardless, I'd like to thank archer and the bloke from The NRL for their time.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Sticky needs to fulfill the NRL press conference requirement. He and the Club have definitely been made an example of with the size of the fine imposed on the Raiders. He needs to take questions and answer about the game. If he has a problem with the refereeing he should simply say he will take it up with the NRL.

I would not be grand standing this week. I can't remember if Elliott was ever fined for comments about the refs but I know the past three Raiders coaches have all thought, at times, we have been on the receiving end of a raw pineapple colonoscopy. The Raiders though need to focus on what they can control. Don't give the players an 'easy out' by focusing on the refs. Be upfront and say areas of our game are not yet at FG standard and we are working to correct those areas. Regardless of the result of todays game, the press conference will have added interest due to Sticky's performance last week. I think it has increased the pressure on the players going into this weeks game. Time will tell how the side reacts to that pressure.
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

This is where having a strong team captain is needed. Cameron Smith sets the standard with the way he approaches and interacts with referees during the game.

We shouldn't have players like Blake Austin complaining to referees that they should be giving penalties just because the crowd is booing. We have one of the most biased crowds in the NRL.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote:Should have gone the pigman route.

Keep taking what the NRL are dishing and just be better. You know, you weren't trying to be better before. Just be better guys.
We'd be in the same position, with a little less track record of sooking and 20k richer than we are today, so yeah I reckon my method is probably better than stomping out of a presser, denying the press access to the player group, sooking over a game where there wasnt actually much to sook about and being slapped with a 20k fine for our efforts.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

bileduct wrote:This is where having a strong team captain is needed. Cameron Smith sets the standard with the way he approaches and interacts with referees during the game.

We shouldn't have players like Blake Austin complaining to referees that they should be giving penalties just because the crowd is booing. We have one of the most biased crowds in the NRL.
We have the most educated crowd in the NRL.
RaiderMeadow
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Sam Williams

Post by RaiderMeadow »

BlameItOnTheBooger
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by BlameItOnTheBooger »

Dr Zaius wrote:
bileduct wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:

Agreed. I have I idea how they all one a try and one not a try. But don't worry, apparently there're getting 94% of calls correct. Just not with the identical situations
RaiderMeadow
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Sam Williams

Post by RaiderMeadow »

Top of my head....

Teams getting the "ref's rub" each year.... Broncos, Dragons, Storm, Sea Eagles, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Bulldogs.

The rest: Don't get the 50-50 calls.

Agree with list?
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Pigman wrote:
gangrenous wrote:Should have gone the pigman route.

We'd be in the same position, with a little less track record of sooking and 20k richer than we are today, so yeah I reckon my method is probably better than stomping out of a presser, denying the press access to the player group, sooking over a game where there wasnt actually much to sook about and being slapped with a 20k fine for our efforts.
Look, that's a fair enough point of view and I have trouble arguing with the points made. I too thought it was a strange game to blow up about.

However, he's frustrated. Things constantly and consistently go against the club that he has the strongest voice at. If he doesn't stand up and say something, no one will and we're more irrelevant than ever. While i don't agree with everything Ricky does, and acknowledging at times he can be a petulant child, he has actually been trying to made a stand for our causes, even to the detriment of his own reputation. As a fan I appreciate that.

At the end of the day, the money thing isn't great but I still think it was worthwhile that it happened at some point this year. I say this because next year if we do add the key signings to this group, we have every chance to be up there and he's campaigning for a fairer go now, before it actually really matters. I'm sort of glad he's forcing it already. The grave danger is that the NRL goes the other way and really tries to stick the knife in. I wouldn't be surprised, judging by this particular incident, no doubt Greenberg has taken offence to being called out and I reckon gone after Sticky to show who's boss. What he did isn't worth $20k when you consider what people get away with in this game, and again, others have gotten away with much worse scot free. Which sort of proves Ricky's point about being irrelevant and copping the pineapple all the time.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

End of the day he got people talking and a bit of pressure on the NRL and the refs with how they are officiating lesser teams. Worth the fine if we start to see a reversal of the ordinary calls.