2015 Rd 25 V Panthers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win between the Canberra Raiders and Penrith Panthers?

Raiders 13+
31%
Raiders 1-12
31%
Draw
No votes
Panthers 1-12
No votes
Panthers 13+
38%

Total votes: 13

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: 2015 Rd 25 V Panthers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by The Nickman »

Hbomb wrote:
charlie11 wrote:
BadnMean wrote:Most of the tries last week were scored down BJ's side as I remember. If Brenko can improve that he can really press a case for next year.
I see more of the same tbh.
I see youve met brenko and have an opinion on him? Whats the word Charlie?
The word is that Cronin is better, obviously
Thombre
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!

Post by Thombre »

The Nickman wrote:
Hbomb wrote:
charlie11 wrote:
BadnMean wrote:Most of the tries last week were scored down BJ's side as I remember. If Brenko can improve that he can really press a case for next year.
I see more of the same tbh.
I see youve met brenko and have an opinion on him? Whats the word Charlie?
The word is that Cronin is better, obviously
Maybe in attitude versatility and defemce....
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Three killers of winning are injury, suspension, loss of form. We have seen all of them recently. Once more they impact our side this week. I just want to see the Raiders have a red hot go. No more crap about 'stolen seasons' which delivered a 'woe is me' attitude. I want to see professional footballers playing FG standard tough hard football. Two games to go in our season. Get those four competition points Raiders.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Let's face it, we have not had significant injury or suspensions. Those things are no excuse.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

greeneyed wrote:Let's face it, we have not had significant injury or suspensions. Those things are no excuse.
agreed
novak djokovic
Glenn Lazarus

Post by novak djokovic »

Edit
Last edited by novak djokovic on October 29, 2015, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:Let's face it, we have not had significant injury or suspensions. Those things are no excuse.
Thank god we can blame the referees and the NRL then this year!!
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

The Nickman wrote:
Everything from here on in is the fault of the missed offside call against Manly.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Toviii wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
Everything from here on in is the fault of the missed offside call against Manly.
There is more to complain about than that call, but yes, its 1 of a few key calls we didn't get.
That doesn't excuse some of the poor performances and/ or poor professionalism we showed at times this yr; I mean the 2 penalties Shillo gave away prior to the Stewart non-call, far out!
goodgolly

Post by goodgolly »

I actually got a very good endorsement of Brenko's skills and footballing abilities off someone who's word I trust 100%.

Brenko's skills and abilities are up there with the best in the team and its more maturity/approach to life problems that hold him back from showing his true potential.

Here is hoping he can overcome these hurdles and achieve what he may be capable of.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

goodgolly wrote:
I actually got a very good endorsement of Brenko's skills and footballing abilities off someone who's word I trust 100%.

Brenko's skills and abilities are up there with the best in the team and its more maturity/approach to life problems that hold him back from showing his true potential.

Here is hoping he can overcome these hurdles and achieve what he may be capable of.
For sure gg, early bloomer physically but he's still only a kid
Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Matt wrote:
Toviii wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
There is more to complain about than that call, but yes, its 1 of a few key calls we didn't get.
That doesn't excuse some of the poor performances and/ or poor professionalism we showed at times this yr; I mean the 2 penalties Shillo gave away prior to the Stewart non-call, far out!
Yes, exactly... giving up 18-0 leads against the Dragons and Cowboys come to mind, giving away blatant penalties when up by 8 against the Sea Eagles with ten to go, letting a reserve grade strength team in the Bulldogs get out to a 26-0 lead before we decided to start playing, the list goes on and on...

Plenty of things to blame for why were' not playing finals football in 2015!
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Our spine has been intact pretty much the whole season.

Soliola has been our worst injury and tbh redwards would have made a decent replacement but he doesn't get picked.

its not a matter of injuries, its becoming a matter of we are a garbage football side. Next year should be interesting, how long is Rickys contract?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

papabear wrote:Our spine has been intact pretty much the whole season.

Soliola has been our worst injury and tbh redwards would have made a decent replacement but he doesn't get picked.

its not a matter of injuries, its becoming a matter of we are a garbage football side. Next year should be interesting, how long is Rickys contract?
But that's the issue, we're NOT a garbage football side, in my opinion. No team that leads the attacking stats for the majority of the season can be called a garbage side.

Our problem is 90% defense, and that comes down to coaching and attitude. You could say attitude largely comes down to coaching too.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this team, this year, should be playing finals football. And the reason we're not I put mainly down to coaching
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Nickman wrote:
Matt wrote:
Toviii wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
Yes, exactly... giving up 18-0 leads against the Dragons and Cowboys come to mind, giving away blatant penalties when up by 8 against the Sea Eagles with ten to go, letting a reserve grade strength team in the Bulldogs get out to a 26-0 lead before we decided to start playing, the list goes on and on...

Plenty of things to blame for why were' not playing finals football in 2015!
Agreed
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Nickman wrote:

But that's the issue, we're NOT a garbage football side, in my opinion. No team that leads the attacking stats for the majority of the season can be called a garbage side.

Our problem is 90% defense, and that comes down to coaching and attitude. You could say attitude largely comes down to coaching too.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this team, this year, should be playing finals football. And the reason we're not I put mainly down to coaching
I agree with this too.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I like you, Matt
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Nickman wrote:I like you, Matt
Sometimes you just make good sense, other times... well.... :hmmm :? :lol:
novak djokovic
Glenn Lazarus

Post by novak djokovic »

Edit
Last edited by novak djokovic on October 29, 2015, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

goodgolly wrote:

Thats the insiders view and to be perfectly honest its exactly the same impression he gives to those looking in from the outside.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

The Nickman wrote:

I agree to regarding what we could have done, considering the amount of talent we have shown in attack.

However, imo our ability to lose the unloseable, and our inability to defend remotely like an nrl football club is why I call us garbage.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Edrick and Brenko Lee to play together for the first time with Canberra Raiders

They spent their childhood years running around with each other in the backyard, but Canberra Raiders cousins Edrick and Brenko Lee will finally play together for the first time when the side takes on Penrith Panthers at Canberra Stadium on Monday.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... z3juPwqRfU
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Brenko and sisa will smash Waqa Blake and Mansour
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Matt’s Match-ups Round 25: Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers

The NRL is again looking at the shoulder charge, and again changing its mind about the whole thing. All I see is everyone else fighting the charge and getting off, while Raiders players take the guilty plea. Hmmmmm?!

The Panthers have been battling a injury crisis all year, and it is reflected in their position on the ladder. That injury toll got worse last week with Taylor breaking his wrist in the first couple of minutes of the Panther's game. They have been rotating players in an out all year, combinations changing for week to week. Basically they have been a shambles all year.

The Raiders have been one of the most consistent rosters all year, and yet, they are still a shambles. They are one of the best attacking sides in the competition, one of the best road teams in 2015, and they boast a few of the potential "buys of the year". However, they are one of the worst defensive teams in the competition; they currently have the worst home record of any Raiders' side ever, and have totally capitulated for about the last 90 minutes of football.

This could be a seriously ugly game to watch on Monday, so I apologise in advance, but let’s look at the sides.

Panthers V Raiders

Will Smith 1. Jack Wighton
Josh Mansour 2. Edrick Lee
Waqa Blake 3. Jarrod Croker ©
Lewis Brown 4. Brenko Lee
David Simmons 5. Sisa Waqa
Apisai Koroisau 6. Blake Austin
Jamie Soward 7. Sam Williams
Sam McKendry 8. Frank-Paul Nuuausala
James Segeyaro 9. Josh Hodgson
Reagan Campbell-Gillard 10. David Shillington
Bryce Cartwright 11. Josh Papalii
Tyrone Peachey 12. Jarrad Kennedy
Isaah Yeo 13. Shaun Fensom

Interchange
Tupou Sopoaga 14. Kurt Baptiste
Jeremy Latimore 15. Luke Bateman
Leilani Latu 16. Paul Vaughan
Sika Manu 17. Shannon Boyd

(Bolded players are the winners of the skin. The extended bench is excluded.)

Matchups:

Fullbacks:
Jack Wighton is proving to be a very reliable fullback these days, especially under the high ball, and in one on one tackling situations. I won’t go as far as to say his conversion to fullback is complete, but I would imagine that in 2016 he will be starting to focus on the more technical and minor aspects of the role.

His opponent this week is Will Smith, not the award winning actor, but a small, agile, pocket rocket of a kid. Usually a five eighth, Smith, like Wighton, has had to learn the new role due to lack of half opportunities at the Panthers. He is doing a reasonable job. Plus, it’s fun to use various Will Smith puns when referring to him.

Wingers:
The other "Fresh Prince", Edrick Lee, will line for the Raiders, again partnering Sisa Waqa. Edrick made zero tackles last week and was almost never seen in the diabolical game against the Titans. Waqa didn’t have a happy game either. He and Joey Leilua were found out by Faifai Loa and Nene MacDonald down the right flank. Both will need to do more, and be better this week.

For the Panthers, it’s the 2015 not so barnstorming Josh Mansour, and ever present try scorer Simmons. Mansour has been dogged by injuries in 2015, and his form hasn’t even come close to that of 2014. Simmons, on the other hand, has been one of a few constants in the Panthers' outfit this year, and continues to find his way to the try line in 2015.

Centres:
Lewis Brown and Waqa Blake will be the centre pairing for the Panthers this week. Brown produced a magical flick pass to setup a try in Round 24, and continues to prove his versatility. He's played backrow, hooker and centre in 2015. Waqa Blake is having a good rookie year, and looks a handful with ball in hand.

Jarrod Croker was nearly the only Raider deserving of a pay cheque last week. He scored a good try, came close on a couple of other occasions, and defended very well against James Roberts. He was easily the Raiders' best, and did whatever he could to try and inspire a terrible green outfit last week. Due to another shoulder charge incident for Joey Leilua, Brenko Lee will get his first taste of NRL footy for 2015. It will be the first time in his career that he lines up alongside his cousin Edrick, and with defensive issues on the right flank, it’s a perfect chance for Brenko to stake a claim on the role.

Halves:
Another week, another poor effort by the Raiders' halves. Both Blake Austin and Sam Williams have gone off the boil lately. Austin’s only highlight in the past month was the try he scored two weeks ago, and for Williams, it’s probably the try he scored last week. Their kicking games have been particularly poor, releasing a lot of pressure on the opposition. These two really need to fix that for the last two weeks if the Raiders are to avoid the possibility of "winning" the spoon.

Another week, another halves partner for Jamie Soward. The Panthers have tried everyone in the halves lately, with Peachey, Cartwright, Koroisau and Segeyaro all spending time in the role in recent weeks. Koroisau will get a third or fourth shot at it for this year. Without a recognised halves partner, plenty rides on Soward to create opportunities. He is the key, and if you shut him down, the Panthers usually crumble.

Prop:
Paul Vaughan and Shannon Boyd are doing a fantastic job in green, and have done all year. Both would have received pass marks last week. However, their "partners in crime", Frank Paul Nuuausala and David Shillington wouldn’t have. Both have been poor for a few weeks now and it is really starting to cost the Raiders dearly. They need to step it up big time!

For the Panthers, it’s the experience of McKendry, Manu and Latimore, mixed with the youth of Campbell-Gillard and Latu. Campbell-Gillard will be among the best rookies of 2015, and is a talent. Manu has also been good in recent weeks, although he has had a case of ‘the dropsies’ lately too. This is one area of the Panthers squad that seems to be avoiding the injury crisis at the moment.

Hooker/ Utility:
It was a case of third time lucky for Baptiste this week, having spent the last two games riding the pine for the whole 80 minutes. However, both he and Hodgson had little impact in what was a terrible team performance.

The Panthers have one of the best in the business, when fit, in Segeyaro, and a much better than ‘handy’ backup in Koroisau; even if he is at five eighth this week. These two are some of the best young hookers in the competition. I for one expected some sort of super sub arrangement for the Panthers at No. 9 this year and have been sadly mistaken.

Backrow:
Jarrad Kennedy had what is probably his best game for the Raiders this past week making 157m and 31 tackles. Shaun Fensom spent some time off the field this past week for a concussion test, but he was still one of the better Raiders last week. Luke Bateman was almost non-existent in impact. Josh Papalii was terrible, outside of one huge hit in Round 24. If memory serves, he dropped two in the process of scoring last week and missed six tackles.

For the Panthers, it’s a young, talented and versatile back row with Cartwright, Peachey, Yeo and Sopoaga. With Brown in the centres and Koroisau at five eighth, I can see a lot of positional changes for the Panthers this week. Even if that aren’t named changes, I can see all these guys swapping and changing roles throughout the course of the game: Yeo, Cartwright and Peachey swapping within the backrow; Brown and Yeo between centre and backrow; and both Peachey and Cartwright swapping with Koroisau at five eighth and backrow. I think to call the Panthers backrow ‘fluid’ this week is an apt description.

Result
The tally is Panthers 8 and Raiders 9. Given both sides are in the race for the spoon, this is probably a fair enough reflection. However, given the injury toll the Panthers have endured this year, and for this game, it shouldn’t be a close contest. This, of course, means the Raiders are in serious trouble this week, and playing at home isn’t going to help.

Result, the Raiders, finally notching a win at home (by 12-18).

The GH's exclusive Round 25 preview: http://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php ... 3#p1289883
The Hooter Round 25: http://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php ... 4#p1290424
Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
TheSportress
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Gary Belcher

Post by TheSportress »

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Don't leave out the combination of these things with 'loss of form' GE. The halves in particular are not in form. This late in the season some would be selected with injury. eg Baptiste's shoulder. I know all sides have this hurdle, but in our case the injury, suspension, loss of form trifecta came to a head at the time we needed to be largely free of them. There are still four competition points on offer. I hope we get them.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Tell me matt didnt take jk over peachey
Edrick The Entertainer
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

bonehead wrote:Tell me matt didnt take jk over peachey
He also took Cartwright over Paps.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

JK had a once in a blue moon blinder last week. I'm sure next week will return to your regularly scheduled program :D
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
He also took Cartwright over Paps.
Have you been watching Papa lately?!?! He hasn't been good.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

as our season winds down to it's end, Matt is in mid season form with that ****! :lol: :lol:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

papabear wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

I agree to regarding what we could have done, considering the amount of talent we have shown in attack.

However, imo our ability to lose the unloseable, and our inability to defend remotely like an nrl football club is why I call us garbage.
Yep, and both those issues rest largely on the coaching staff's shoulders IMO.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Members Appreciation Round at GIO Stadium

The Canberra Raiders will use their final home match of the season on Monday night against the Penrith Panthers to thank their most loyal supporters, with the annual member appreciation round at GIO Stadium.

The Raiders are hoping for a big crowd to end the 2015 home season and will use the final home game to showcase the wonderful contribution members have made in 2015.

18 lucky Canberra Raiders members have been selected at random from members who attended every home game of the 2015 season to receive a jersey straight from the players back, with the presentation to occur at fulltime on Monday night.

Each of the Raiders players involved in Monday night’s game will present the lucky member with the jersey worn in the match, as a personal thank you for being at every home game this year. The concept also took place at the end of last season, with some very happy members getting a match worn jersey as a personal keepsake from the season.

In addition to this, another 40 members who have attended every game have been selected to line the tunnel as the players run onto the ground on Monday night, giving them an up close experience as a thank you for their support.

The full list of members who have attended every game will also appear on the big screen during the night, while one lucky member will pick up an all expenses trip to the NRL grand final as part of the Bleed Green Competition which has been running all season.

The Grand Final of the Huawei high ball challenge will occur at halftime, where two members will face off to win another all expenses trip to the grand final. The winner will be determined in a knock-out style challenge of catching the ball from Huawei high ball machine.

The Raiders will also be paying tribute to departing players after the jersey presentation, with fans encouraged to stay at the ground and say goodbye to players who are departing at the end of the season.

Canberra Raiders Captain Jarrod Croker said he hoped to see as many of the club’s 10,000 members at the game on Monday night, so the players could thank them for their support this season.

“It hasn’t been the best season for us at home this year but we really do appreciate the support of our loyal members and we want as many of them there on Monday night so we can thank them for their support,” Croker said. “I truly believe we have the best supporters in the game and we’d love to have a vocal crowd at GIO Stadium for our final home game of the season.”

Full season Members can bring-a-mate to the game for FREE on Monday night. Details for this promotion can be found HERE

List of Members who will receive a player worn jersey on Monday night

Member No. Member Name Membership type

RAI-1283536 James Wilson 2015 Premium Grandstand

RAI-1283110 Ewen Cameron 2015 Gold Grandstand

RAI-1284379 Mark Power 2015 Gold Grandstand

RAI-1285279 John Bannon 2015 Gold Grandstand

RAI-2255620 Tristan Melhuish 2015 Silver Inner Bowl

RAI-2725416 Mark Hankinson 2015 Bronze GA

RAI-2811363 Jodie Tolson 2015 Bronze GA

RAI-123456 Rob Gutterson 2015 Gold Grandstand

RAI-2812126 Ian Duve 2015 Gold Inner Bowl

RAI-2659773 Kimberley Logan 2015 Silver Inner Bowl

RAI-2913234 Maggie Hanson 2015 Gold Inner Bowl

RAI-2076307 Peter Lette 2015 Gold Grandstand

RAI-2811799 Catherine Fletcher 2015 Gold Inner Bowl

RAI-2912666 Reece Harrigan 2015 Premium Grandstand

RAI-2911491 Michael Simms 2015 Bronze GA

RAI-2913021 Janice Ogilvie 2015 Silver Inner Bowl

RAI-2913267 Lee Colson 2015 Bronze GA

RAI-2911562 Mackenzie Bennett 2015 Season Ticket Gold Inner Bowl

Canberra Raiders media

The GH's exclusive Round 25 preview: http://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php ... 3#p1289883
Matt's Match-ups Round 25: http://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic ... 3#p1290333
The Hooter Round 25: http://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php ... 4#p1290424
Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Matt wrote:
JK had a once in a blue moon blinder last week. I'm sure next week will return to your regularly scheduled program :D
And he still can't run a decent line
Edrick The Entertainer
Thombre
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!

Post by Thombre »

Congrats cat. Also at lwast we know there will be 17 people there
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)