The Politics Thread 2016

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: The Politics Thread 2016

Post by gerg »

Politicians have more ego than a bunch of NRL players at a Ladies night in a niteclub.

There were whispers of a June/July election a while back but with all the in fighting and poor polling it might be after the footy season - which would be absolutely wonderful from my perspective.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Was sitting near Tony Burke at the game tonight. Seems like a sensible bloke on Qanda.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Shadow Boxer wrote:Well this is awkward

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-0 ... ak/7297964
You should write them all long, rambling and largely incoherent posts about how they're not doing their share. That'll teach 'em.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Were you implicated in that story, TR??
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I'm Lucy, not Vladimir Putin.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote:I'm Lucy.
We all are now
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Rename this place the LH
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Trump, in his own voice, as your drunk neighbour....

https://www.facebook.com/conservativemi ... 040657287/

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote:Trump, in his own voice, as your drunk neighbour....

:lol: the BEST thing about that video is that he's drinking beers with Marko.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

The best.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

T_R wrote:
Shadow Boxer wrote:Well this is awkward

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-0 ... ak/7297964
You should write them all long, rambling and largely incoherent posts about how they're not doing their share. That'll teach 'em.
No outrage ? No long articles about disagreeable organisations ? No comment on any of it ?

This is your hard done by mates.

One of the big three named is a large Earth moving company, maybe they felt the need to move the funds so they didn't have to pay any meal allowance perks when the dirt shifters stay behind for overtime.

I think we can nail the lid shut on this one.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Maybe I should ignore the message of the article and just fill pages of posts here with long, incoherent snipes about how the ABC is a leftist organisation and produces articles that, while factually accurate, have the wrong, you know, tone?

But if your question (and it's always hard to tell) was whether or not I approve of people off-shoring funds into tax havens, I would generally say that while I am sympathetic to the frustrations of high income earners shouldering massively more than their share of the tax burden, it is obviously the wrong thing to do.

See how to answer a question, SB? Try it some time.

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Nice, a poll had 64% of voters against tax exemptions for religions and only 24% approve (no idea on poll size).

http://www.crikey.com.au/2016/04/05/ess ... exemption/
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Thank you as always for your timely non sequitur, Manbush

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Anytime TR :)
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

T_R wrote:Maybe I should ignore the message of the article and just fill pages of posts here with long, incoherent snipes about how the ABC is a leftist organisation and produces articles that, while factually accurate, have the wrong, you know, tone?

But if your question (and it's always hard to tell) was whether or not I approve of people off-shoring funds into tax havens, I would generally say that while I am sympathetic to the frustrations of high income earners shouldering massively more than their share of the tax burden, it is obviously the wrong thing to do.

See how to answer a question, SB? Try it some time.
Its more about truth than fact or tone. This is the bit you choose not to understand.

Apart from that I have no great interest in the big business or trade union worlds, just not really my sort of people.

I think I had this discussion with my kids when they were in year 7.
Social Psychology of Betrayal:.
Discerning between Facts and Truth
by Matt Moody, Ph.D.

Facts and truth are commonly equated, but there is an important and practical difference: Consider the way facts are used in courts of law to bring about injustice, or how politicians intentionally mislead by using out-of-context fact-fragments. For these very reasons, Truth needs to be more than just a synonym for fact. "Truth" needs its own identity apart from "fact."

The Oxford Dictionary defines "fact" as "A thing that is indisputably the case." And the Merriam-Webster Dictionary offers this definition: "the quality of being actual; something that has actual existence." The word “fact” is often used to mean “reality” — the way things ARE, the way the world IS.

But then what word should represent the politically-loaded fact-fragments that are used to deceive the public? Or what word should represent the legal facts used to mislead a jury? In legal and political arenas, the "facts" are sometimes far from a truthful representation of reality. Since we already have the word Reality to represent “the way things are,” and because all Facts are inevitably expressed via written or spoken words, therefore, a practical definition of Fact can be framed thus: “technically correct statements that correspond to something actual and real.”

Again, Truth and facts are commonly equated, but there is an important and practical difference: Truth is always honest to the core, whereas Facts can be used in service of the Truth, or to support a Lie — the best Lies are always lined with Facts.

Facts are technically accurate statements
made by the mouth or penned by the hand.
Truth is a larger statement, a holistic statement.
Truth is not just factually accurate, but also utterly honest.
Truth is the whole statement of one’s total being:
a unified expression of word, deed, motive,
and emotion — all of which are True.

Should "the Truth, the whole Truth, and nothing but the Truth" be anything less?

When a clear distinction is made between facts and Truth, we realize that words can be factual yet untrue at the same time; a person's words may be technically correct but when inward intent is not true . . . then only fact-speaking can occur — as opposed to Truth-telling. The distinguishing element is this: When the motive behind the message is false, then superficially accurate words are false from their foundations — this is the very meaning of empty rhetoric: words expressed without wholeness of heart.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Do they also find you tedious and slow on the uptake?

Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

haha, nice deflection.

They probably do, i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Deflection??? From what?? Your confused and misdirected treatise on the difference between 'truth' and 'fact', introduced as some kind of revelation after 4 pages (now mostly and mercifully deleted after GEMs erotic photo collection mishap) of foundering and weaving and refusing to address even simple questions?

If the only way you can defend your position is by hair-splitting from an obscure PhD thesis, submitted to a long discredited Mormon run 'university' on the nature of 'truth', then the argument is already over. Did you bother to source the article, from a pop-psychologist religious fanatic from Utah, who tries to weave 'religious truth' into pseudo scientific psycho-babble to help sell his online books? The fact that you choose to draw inspiration from this hideous, bigoted homophobe is revealing in itself. I hope your children are more discerning.

Perhaps you'd be inspired by some of his other deep observations...

"Being false, the way I experience the world is colored
by my falseness: I see darkness in my world,
because of the darkness in me. My thinking, my emotions,
and how I behave are all tainted by betrayal.
My search for solutions is skewed,
It is wrong, . . . because I am wrong."

I'm sure there's a message there for you, SB.

This is the shallow end, sport, and you're already way out of your depth.

Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

T_R wrote:Deflection??? From what?? Your confused and misdirected treatise on the difference between 'truth' and 'fact', introduced as some kind of revelation after 4 pages (now mostly and mercifully deleted after GEMs erotic photo collection mishap) of foundering and weaving and refusing to address even simple questions?

If the only way you can defend your position is by hair-splitting from an obscure PhD thesis, submitted to a long discredited Mormon run 'university' on the nature of 'truth', then the argument is already over. Did you bother to source the article, from a pop-psychologist religious fanatic from Utah, who tries to weave 'religious truth' into pseudo scientific psycho-babble to help sell his online books? The fact that you choose to draw inspiration from this hideous, bigoted homophobe is revealing in itself. I hope your children are more discerning.

Perhaps you'd be inspired by some of his other deep observations...

"Being false, the way I experience the world is colored
by my falseness: I see darkness in my world,
because of the darkness in me. My thinking, my emotions,
and how I behave are all tainted by betrayal.
My search for solutions is skewed,
It is wrong, . . . because I am wrong."

I'm sure there's a message there for you, SB.

This is the shallow end, sport, and you're already way out of your depth.
Yeh I didn't think you would get it,
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

:D

Oh dear. Your bigot guru really DID have all the answers, and you were the only one bright enough to see it!

Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Cool story bro,

I have concluded you actually don't understand why someone might have an issue with article and I'm pretty much out of ammo.

You keep doing what you think is right in terms of tax, I might go for a walk with kids.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I can just imagine the embarrassed look on those kids faces when Dad rolls out a "cool story, bro" thinking he's cool but not really knowing that hasn't been in for about half a decade :lol:
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Haha, I have twin 13 year old girls, you should have seen their face this afternoon when I didn't know what dabbing was.

Laughing face emoticons are out btw, I'm advised we just use haha now
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Thankfully I've got another 5-10 years before my kids realise I'm a dork and 15 years before I can make their life a living hell pretending to be cool around their friends
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Haha, it is fun
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Shadow Boxer wrote:Cool story bro,

I have concluded you actually don't understand why someone might have an issue with article and I'm pretty much out of ammo.

You keep doing what you think is right in terms of tax, I might go for a walk with kids.
Well, that would make you ignorant.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Shadow Boxer wrote:Haha, I have twin 13 year old girls, you should have seen their face this afternoon when I didn't know what dabbing was.

Laughing face emoticons are out btw, I'm advised we just use haha now
I'm not sure your 13 year old girls should be into dabbing yet, they been hanging around their Uncle Manbush??

Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Hahaha, it appears i misspelt it, and I'm not the first to do so

https://www.leafly.com/news/lifestyle/d ... abis-consu
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Well, my advice stands. Keep your girls away from Manbush
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

The Nickman wrote:

:lol: the BEST thing about that video is that he's drinking beers with Marko.

:o

Makes more sense than Pigman's claims I am Brett Morris.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

You look a LOT like the Morris boys though too, Marko!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:You look a LOT like the Morris boys though too, Marko!
Only one of them though
Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

My wife thinks Josh Hodgson looks a bit like the Serb too
Which is disconcerting given how much I want to **** Josh Hodgson