Edrick The Entertainer
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Re: The Politics Thread 2016

Post by Shadow Boxer »

bonehead wrote:I only know one nikolic and he's a mafia type
Haha, I can guess, I think this one is this bloke

Mr John Nikolic
Director Industrial Relations/In-house Legal Counsel Master Builders Association of the ACT
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Shadow Boxer wrote:
bonehead wrote:I only know one nikolic and he's a mafia type
Haha, I can guess, I think this one is this bloke

Mr John Nikolic
Director Industrial Relations/In-house Legal Counsel Master Builders Association of the ACT
Actually i was thinking danny lol
Edrick The Entertainer
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Yeh I know, good jockey though
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Although we are all used to the farcical central wages bargaining environment in Australia, this Gillard/Shorten union-front tribunal has now decided that it can set prices that independently owned small businesses can charge. Small business owners do not join unions, and the TWU wants anyone driving a truck to be a member. Their solution? Close down the small business sector in the transport industry.

What the hell is going on in Australia???

Federal Court pay order spells ‘ruin’ for truckies

TWU national secretary Tony Sheldon seized on the Federal Court decision yesterday to remove a stay order on the new pay rates as an endorsement of the tribunal.

Thousands of self-employed truck drivers say they face ruin after the Federal Court handed the Transport Workers Union a legal victory by giving the green light to a new pay regime.

The pay rates, promoted by unionists as being needed to make roads safer, came into force at 4.15pm yesterday, prompting independent senator Glenn Lazarus to warn the decision would trigger convoy protests across the nation.

Owner-drivers warn the mandatory pay rates will price them out of the market, and Nat­ionals MPs are planning to introduce legislation to abolish the Road Safety Remuneration Tribunal that set the new prices.

Australian Competition and Consumer Commission chairman Rod Sims said while the new pay regime fell outside the scope of his responsibilities, the tribunal’s order would lead to price increases and would be likely to have an adverse effect on competition in the sector.

TWU national secretary Tony Sheldon seized on the Federal Court decision yesterday to remove a stay order on the new pay rates as an endorsement of the tribunal, which was established by the Gillard government in 2012.

Mr Sheldon called on the government and industry bodies, which had argued for the pay rates to be delayed, to ­support the regulator and end the “scaremongering and lies” about the effect of the new rates.

“It will address pressure drivers are under to speed, drive long hours, skip mandatory rest breaks and skip maintenance on their vehicles because of financial squeeze placed on them by major clients,” Mr Sheldon said.

Drivers have told The Aus­tralian that on some long-haul routes, the new rates would force them to charge 100 per cent more.

As revealed in yesterday’s The Australian, the body representing independent contractors has prepared a High Court challenge against the tribunal on grounds that it is unconstitutional.

Independent Contractors Aus­tralia executive director Ken Phillips said the commencement of the order gave new urgency to his High Court application, which he hoped would freeze the new minimum rates: “Now is the start date for the bankruptcies, family breakups, people losing their houses and the suicides.”

Employment Minister Michaelia Cash said the government was disappointed at the decision of the Federal Court and shared “widespread concerns” about the impact of the new laws on owner-drivers.

“It is now essential that the Senate pass the government’s legislation to delay the commencement of any payments order until 1 January, 2017,” Senator Cash said.

NSW Nationals senator John Williams said the decision was “extremely concerning” because it could be the end of the month before the government’s legislation was passed. He said the conduct of the tribunal justified its abolition.

Small Business Ombudsman Kate Carnell said the decision would cause “great upheaval for thousands of owner-drivers”.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

DiNatale wants to ban all gambling ads..

I think they definitely need some reigning in, but complete ban?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I have kept an eye on this thread for some time now without getting too involved and without going back through pages and pages to check - am I right in assuming that the previous Labor Government copped a hiding in this thread with every single thing they managed to **** up (which there was a bit of) however there doesn't seem to be the same level of scrutiny or criticism of the Liberal Government - despite the similar issues/failures. Both parties have screwed themselves from within with leadership turmoil yet there didn't seem to be such abuse when the Liberal party did it. I know Abbott to Turnbull is a winner regardless of the leanings but the "challenge act" itself was jumped upon by the Liberal opposition (and public including on this forum/thread) when the Labor party did it.

The NBN is looking likely to be a massive failure and going to cost almost as much as the better one proposed by the Labor party. Little talk of it here.

I remember Nickman getting very bolshey with Labor because of its mining policy and the potential for him to lose his job - and how Liberal would improve the situation (or Labor possibly worsening the position). I read in another thread that he could possibly lose his job. No comment about how the Liberal party didn't save his job. Going back to the previous election I vaguely recollect Nickman being extremely vocal of how the Labor party was going to **** up his future employment prospects????

From afar it looks as though a few industries are going under but there is no attack on the Government like there would have been with Labor. Plenty of talk about corruption in Unions though.

The talk of ceasing funding for Public schools and the Chaplain funding in schools. Sure they have been mentioned in this thread but there doesn't seem to be same barrage of criticism that the Labor party received while they were in government.

Just to make it clear I have been a swinging voter all my life - I have voted for each of the three main parties at different times dependant on the leaders and policies at the time.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The clique are Liberal voters. Case closed.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Gerg wrote:I have kept an eye on this thread for some time now without getting too involved and without going back through pages and pages to check - am I right in assuming that the previous Labor Government copped a hiding in this thread with every single thing they managed to **** up (which there was a bit of) however there doesn't seem to be the same level of scrutiny or criticism of the Liberal Government - despite the similar issues/failures. Both parties have screwed themselves from within with leadership turmoil yet there didn't seem to be such abuse when the Liberal party did it. I know Abbott to Turnbull is a winner regardless of the leanings but the "challenge act" itself was jumped upon by the Liberal opposition (and public including on this forum/thread) when the Labor party did it.

The NBN is looking likely to be a massive failure and going to cost almost as much as the better one proposed by the Labor party. Little talk of it here.

I remember Nickman getting very bolshey with Labor because of its mining policy and the potential for him to lose his job - and how Liberal would improve the situation (or Labor possibly worsening the position). I read in another thread that he could possibly lose his job. No comment about how the Liberal party didn't save his job. Going back to the previous election I vaguely recollect Nickman being extremely vocal of how the Labor party was going to **** up his future employment prospects????

From afar it looks as though a few industries are going under but there is no attack on the Government like there would have been with Labor. Plenty of talk about corruption in Unions though.

The talk of ceasing funding for Public schools and the Chaplain funding in schools. Sure they have been mentioned in this thread but there doesn't seem to be same barrage of criticism that the Labor party received while they were in government.

Just to make it clear I have been a swinging voter all my life - I have voted for each of the three main parties at different times dependant on the leaders and policies at the time.
Gerg, I was a Labor voter most of my life up until Rudd/Gillard. Hell, I was a very active member for a while.

Through their ham-fisted policies during the Rudd/Gillard/Rudd years, they destroyed the industry I work in and very nearly cost me everything I have. It has pretty much taken us until now to recover, but a lot of others didn't - I know a lot of people who lost their homes because of utterly stupid legislation.

The Libs came to power, made a few very minor policy tweaks and we were back on an even keel.

I know that sounds twee, but it's letter and verse the truth. If there's a negativity towards Labor here, it was well and truly earned.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I think in my lifetime I've either directly or indirectly voted for Labor as many times as I have the Liberals.

Gerg really should sit down and stop yelling at clouds here.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

You're welcome
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Is indirectly code for a massive dong on the ballot paper?
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Raider Bell wrote:Is indirectly code for a massive dong on the ballot paper?
'Massive'

Very revealing.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

One man's "massive" is another man's "average"
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher

Post by Raider Bell »

:lol:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:Image
You're welcome
You're always there for me, Doc
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

T_R wrote:
Gerg wrote:I have kept an eye on this thread for some time now without getting too involved and without going back through pages and pages to check - am I right in assuming that the previous Labor Government copped a hiding in this thread with every single thing they managed to **** up (which there was a bit of) however there doesn't seem to be the same level of scrutiny or criticism of the Liberal Government - despite the similar issues/failures. Both parties have screwed themselves from within with leadership turmoil yet there didn't seem to be such abuse when the Liberal party did it. I know Abbott to Turnbull is a winner regardless of the leanings but the "challenge act" itself was jumped upon by the Liberal opposition (and public including on this forum/thread) when the Labor party did it.

Gerg, I was a Labor voter most of my life up until Rudd/Gillard. Hell, I was a very active member for a while.

Through their ham-fisted policies during the Rudd/Gillard/Rudd years, they destroyed the industry I work in and very nearly cost me everything I have. It has pretty much taken us until now to recover, but a lot of others didn't - I know a lot of people who lost their homes because of utterly stupid legislation.

The Libs came to power, made a few very minor policy tweaks and we were back on an even keel.

I know that sounds twee, but it's letter and verse the truth. If there's a negativity towards Labor here, it was well and truly earned.
The point I was trying to make though is both governments have made mistakes but the mistakes being made by the current government seem to get a free pass on this forum. I realise everyone votes with their own interests at heart but that shouldn't prevent open and objective discussion about politics. Unfortunately politics and religion are subjects that people seem to take too personally and everybody loses their **** minds.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:I think in my lifetime I've either directly or indirectly voted for Labor as many times as I have the Liberals.

Gerg really should sit down and stop yelling at clouds here.
But as noted if Labor was in power and there was a threat of you losing your job you would (and have in the past) squealed like a little bitch.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Not sure where this should go but did Channel 9 really spend $115,000 to kidnap some kids in Lebanon?

Julie Bishop going to have an interesting time tomorrow..
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Was reading about that a couple of days ago, pretty **** up if true. Be interesting to see what happens to all parties involved, the journalists who got arrested there and the heads back here that paid and authorized it.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Manbush wrote:Was reading about that a couple of days ago, pretty **** up if true. Be interesting to see what happens to all parties involved, the journalists who got arrested there and the heads back here that paid and authorized it.
I think the best point that's been said numerous times is "Imagine if a Lebanese TV crew came to Australia and paid a mob to try kidnap some kids off the street"

We had the 4 Corners crew detained in Malaysia a few weeks ago, but that was for flat out asking the PM why he had 100s of Millions in his bank account :lol:

This could be far, far more serious.. Especially if all that cash changed hands...
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Telstra has backed away from support of same sex marriage due to a threat of a boycott by the Catholic Church

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business ... e5327569ff

Bit of a hollow threat as supposedly all telcos support it :doubt:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Im confused, why the **** are telstra dipping into politics in this fashion and why should we care one way or the other?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

A lot of businesses have a social conscience, nothing wrong with them speaking up for equality.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Clearly there are no problems at all within the Catholic Church if they have this much time on their hands..

Anyway Marriage Equality isn't a political statement, it's pretty much a **** test.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher

Post by Raider Bell »

What are you amateurs discussing in here, Aussie and global Politics? Pfffffft. Please.

Should be focusing on something real, like the upcoming GH election, not some boring Bill "I'm a massive whiny baby" Shorten and Malcolm "I don't care for those beneath me, which just so happens to be everyone" Turnbull back and forth.

Vote 1 - Professor and the Qunt party
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

^^^

What he said
Thombre
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!

Post by Thombre »

Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Not sure if this confirms an early election. It's a funny story though.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

"AFL is the most exciting football code" says PM Turnbull...

Go get him GE!!!
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Schifty wrote:"AFL is the most exciting football code" says PM Turnbull...

Go get him GE!!!
Yes! So much yes!!!!

GE gon' blow deluxe
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Raider 85 wrote:

Go get him GE!!!
Yes! So much yes!!!!

GE gon' blow deluxe
He needs to stand up for the GH.

I know #CaptainWaffles likes to go on and on, but usually there's no actual message.

This is too far, GE can't allow this from someone who currently resides in our beautiful capital.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Schifty wrote:
Raider 85 wrote:

Go get him GE!!!
Yes! So much yes!!!!

GE gon' blow deluxe
He needs to stand up for the GH.

I know #CaptainWaffles likes to go on and on, but usually there's no actual message.

This is too far, GE can't allow this from someone who currently resides in our beautiful capital.
I would have thought it would have been edited out by now.

Also, just quietly, I love from you the "our beautiful capital". You're a true Canberran, Schifty. Love ya long time!
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

:lol: Worst news piece I've read in a while. We should be celebrating the one thing that Malcolm isn't excessively pretentious about!
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/nationa ... o6azy.html
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

The liberals copped the same posting under abbott. Because no one liked him.

Rudd got the same, free ride turnbull has got for a while now that is turning on him.

Fundamentally though, for labor to rise from the dead and be more then just a party who governs when people get jack of the liberals, they have to.

- Cut there strong connections with unions. Have people voted into positions by party members not put there by unions.
- Move away from the notion that you can tax your way to a better economy.

They are already pretty progressive in respect of their social policy but whilst their economic policy / union position remain so conservative they are only going to win via a massively popular leader or a massively unpopular liberal leader.