Footy Social: 2017 Rd 1 V Cowboys

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

russman095
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: josh hodgson

Footy Social: 2017 Rd 1 V Cowboys

Post by russman095 »

Any tips for travelling to see the game in Townsville? I'm thinking of taking the young fella to watch the green machine at the Cowboys. Has anyone got any tips or is the club doing anything for fans planning to travel.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Footy Social: 2017 Rd 1 V Cowboys

Post by greeneyed »

I've only been once before... It surprised me how far away from the city the ground was, but there's really not much alternative but to stay in the city (best place to stay) and travel out to the ground. Some places seem to offer buses to the ground. The only seats you'll be able to get are on the eastern side, the western side is tiny and taken up with sponsors boxes and ticket holders. It's a poor stadium and poorly located, which is why they're building a new one.

I'll try and remember to ask someone at the club if there will be any members event (eg training) in Townsville, at the very least via Ask the Raiders.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

This will be my 3rd trip , agree with GE that the stadium is way way out of town , there are buses from the league's club or hire a car(that's what we do)

Stay in the city , lots for you to do then before the game and the next day before you go home

Unlike GE , I love the stadium ! The crowd is friendly and safe. And you get pretty close to the field . Food options are pretty good too with very fair prices , red rooster is there at red rooster prices , plus all your normal stuff. They had frozen coke too last time which is great as it will be fairly warm.

If you and your youngster want chats with players and autographs/photos wait after the game behind the grand stand near the fence . All the boys will stop and say hi

The team are going up early so not sure what the club will do but you might see the boys around town if you go up early

Out of all of my away games townsville is one of my favourites if not favourite

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Vaccinated
Bullraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by Bullraider »

Some good info there thanks Cat. Never been to a game there before.
Victor05
Gary Coyne

Post by Victor05 »

1300 Smiles is a good stadium but as mentioned out of town and parking isn't great - finished the last game with a nice $49 "present" from the QLD Government so just double check the signs. Would be good to know if the boys do an event up there...there isn't much else to do in Townsville!
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Bullraider wrote:Some good info there thanks Cat. Never been to a game there before.
Marc Zaccaria

if you are driving out use a map and dont stress if you feel like your going a long way and ending up in a residential area

depends how long you go up for the aquarium isnt too bad and maggie island is a lot of fun otherwise plenty of beaches and parks to go to

I'm staying at the rydges, pretty good value and not a bad area, lots of nice places to eat
Vaccinated
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Victor05 wrote:1300 Smiles is a good stadium but as mentioned out of town and parking isn't great - finished the last game with a nice $49 "present" from the QLD Government so just double check the signs. Would be good to know if the boys do an event up there...there isn't much else to do in Townsville!
$49 is cheap, parking fines here are about $97 at a minimum
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Cheap? Sounds like a great deal. Some paid parking in Sydney will cost you $125 for the evening.
Victor05
Gary Coyne

Post by Victor05 »

OH I know, got a $112 fine here in Canberra just before Christmas...but still was unwanted after a loss (after a great start)!
Krypto
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: All of them

Post by Krypto »

Booked my trip to Townsville for this game a few months back, can't wait! Never been to Townsville either so will be watching this thread for some tips :)

Been checking every week to purchase game tickets, still not available. Can only assume it won't be too long now. Guessing will have to be quick as it will sell out pretty fast, decent tickets anyway.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tip No. 1: Run to the top of Castle Hill every morning you're in Townsville. It's just a hop, skip and jump and you're at the top!
Krypto
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Krypto »

I will not be doing that, that sounds like hard work, I'm on holidays! :)
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote:Tip No. 1: Run to the top of Castle Hill every morning you're in Townsville. It's just a hop, skip and jump and you're at the top!
So you want to walk up together the Sunday morning :)

One thing I did forget they are super careful checking bags, will in roll flags to check nothing is in it

Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tip No. 2 - When you see this sign, don't worry... Townsville doesn't have crocodiles!

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tip No. 3 - When you go snorkelling in Townsville, don't worry if this happens... they don't hurt you!

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tip No. 4 - Don't worry about these guys in Townsville... it's just part of the Townsville experience!

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BTW I asked yesterday if there'd be some sort of event for members in Townsville. Still being worked out what will be done for members in Queensland this year. I've suggested that just being invited to training and a chance for photos etc after is all the members are looking for.
Victor05
Gary Coyne

Post by Victor05 »

I think tickets are on sale on the 13th
Krypto
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Krypto »

I see Ticketek has the link up now but no option to purchase as yet. Away supporters bay?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I checked the away supporters bay... it's in the back corner of the east stand. Worst seats in the house. I'll just buy the best seat I can. They go on sale Monday... presale for Cowboys members on now.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I am going up. I have a friend who lives in Cranbrook about 20 out from town along the Ross River Rd a bit closer to the ground so i stay there.

If you haven't been to North Qld before you really need to go to the reef. Personally I think it is better to go from Cairns and as someone who's partner comes from Cairns I get plenty of opportunities to go out so I won't be going this time, but it is well worth it.

I don't mind the ground but it is very hard to get seats on the Eastern side. We used to warm up at Brothers next door which was great because there was a bar right at the side of the field but they tend to use the main field these days.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote:Tip No. 4 - Don't worry about these guys in Townsville... it's just part of the Townsville experience!

Go inside the stinger nets and you will be ok. Water is so warm. We went to Port Douglas on Boxing Day (which I know is five hours from Townsville) and the water was 29 degrees. Really too hot.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote:Tip No. 1: Run to the top of Castle Hill every morning you're in Townsville. It's just a hop, skip and jump and you're at the top!
It's no harder than Mt Ainslie.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Victor05 wrote:1300 Smiles is a good stadium but as mentioned out of town and parking isn't great - finished the last game with a nice $49 "present" from the QLD Government so just double check the signs. Would be good to know if the boys do an event up there...there isn't much else to do in Townsville!
It's like all the stadiums in Qld. They are run by the Qld Govt and they really discourage driving to the ground.

My friend always has a seasons car park ticket behind the Eastern stand. Not sure if you can pay as a once off.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Guys coming, I booked my tickets today and a lot of the seated areas are sold out so I would buy them soon guys :)

Vaccinated
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Guys coming?
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

EJ wrote:Guys coming?
Guys , you know like fans, people, dudes ....

Vaccinated