Broncos 13+
8%

Total votes: 12

Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Re: 2017 Rd 4 V Brisbane Broncos: Game Day

Post by Hazza »

Stating the obvious but we dropped far too much ball. Overall I thought we were very ordinary actually, I can't believe we only lost by 1. Guess our defence and the broncs ordinary attack kept us in it. Our forwards weren't great, it was mainly our outside backs working us out of trouble. Sezer was Sezer. I don't expect much more from him tbh. Since he's been with us he hasn't stepped up and won a big game for us. Not 1. So I didn't expect him to tonight. I'm bemused at the raps on the bloke. I just don't see it. Austo tried hard and looked likely. Rapa made some crucial errors but also had 17 runs for over 170 metres hard to be too critical.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Shortest turn-around in the game, against a team with over a week off at their home ground. One training session, and then a 1400 km trip. Played like busteds, lost our best player with 30 mins to go. Terrible short kicking game.

Lost by a point.

Not so bad. Twenty-two rounds left. When it clicks, we'll be **** unstoppable.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

What an awful game of football that was. Raiders didn't deserve to win. Can't say Broncos did either.

Not a terrible result for us though. In a game that was always going to hard win coming away with a 1 point loss isn't all bad.

Sent from my SM-G920I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Coastalraider wrote:
Raiders Lim! wrote:All those errors and to lose by one...
Disappointing but not devastating.

I'll need to watch the game again to see where all the Sezer hate is coming from. He didn't stand out but surely we can't pin it all on him?
Handling was poor all round which restricted us from finding any rhythm.
I agree, I thought Sezer distributed fairly well, and started all of our backline movements leading to try's once Hodgo went off and he finally got some early ball.

He is not supposed to play your typical halfback role in our structure.
Umm, we do not really have a structure, bro. We just...ah...you know....wing it.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: thurling

Post by exrefhollywood »

still we walk away with zero
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Northern Raider wrote:What an awful game of football that was. Raiders didn't deserve to win. Can't say Broncos did either.

Not a terrible result for us though. In a game that was always going to hard win coming away with a 1 point loss isn't all bad.

Sent from my SM-G920I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Probably gotta get that out of our system as well. It's ok to nearly beat Brisbane. At least we were competitive. Nearly got em. No . They weren't great. We should've won that game. If we have aspirations to win the comp we need to start winning these type of games.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

It was wet and we were trying to overcome a 5 day turnaround. I am confident we'll bounce back and string a few wins together.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

1992 wrote:
Coastalraider wrote:

I'll need to watch the game again to see where all the Sezer hate is coming from. He didn't stand out but surely we can't pin it all on him?
I agree, I thought Sezer distributed fairly well, and started all of our backline movements leading to try's once Hodgo went off and he finally got some early ball.

Umm, we do not really have a structure, bro. We just...ah...you know....wing it.
That's absolutely not true. It's unconventional, but we most definitely have left and right side structures, and Sezers job is to get it to either Austin or Whighton to link with our centres and backrowers.

Jump in the NRL website and watch Elliot assess our backline structure, its very interesting.

Admitted we do also play a hell of a lot of adlib footy though.
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

The short turn around didn't help but fair dinkum, could the Raiders play any worst? Dropped balls galore! Again I think they were overawed by the occasion and need to toughen-up if they want to be players in 2017. The 1st penalty goal to Bris was absolute BS!!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

Sucks to be 1 and 3 but I'm still confident about this season. Should probably have played more trials with such a tough start to the season.

Rounds 5 - 10 are all very winnable so I'd expect we will climb back up the ladder pretty quickly from here.
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

Raiders Lim! wrote:If we're going to blame anyone for the loss tonight what about that Croker fella missing the conversion?!
Drop him! :evil:
Jason?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BVRaider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by BVRaider »

That's a disappointing loss but I think a lot of the errors can be put down to fatigue and we showed great resolve to not let it turn in to a blowout like the Sharks game. I can't believe we got it level at the end, it's been a frustrating start to the season but we still look like we will be contenders.
Vintagecrop
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Vintagecrop »

Sid wrote:So now next week is must win so we're not 1/5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I disagree entirely. Every week is a must win, but I agree that the loss generates more pressure.

I really enjoyed the match. The team played hard and lost by 1. Austin and Rapana had a red hot go. Well done. No complaints.

VC
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Who the f**k do we play next week?
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

1992 wrote:Who the f**k do we play next week?
Parra
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I think we were crap in several basic areas and lost to a team who played average footy. No "noble defeat" or "moral victory" there.

We lost Hodgo but he spent the first half going left 45 times and throwing 4 fifth tackle crash balls. 2 of those in the dry should have been grubbers, let alone in the bloody wet.

Basic footy: who kicked and chase better? Broncos
Who held on to the footy? Broncos

Attacking footy: who threw more effective offloads? Broncos
Who set up a chance for a simple field goal like a team with a plan for winning? Broncos

Dumb footy: who kept coughing it up? Us
Who went wide when they should have set up a FG? Us
Who ignored their best side for 60 minutes? US

I hope to god they get a rocket and not a pat on the back for that, if we're gonna be a serious footy team.

The time for celebrating that sort of dross is past.
Last edited by BadnMean on March 24, 2017, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Those suckholes Parramatta.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

BadnMean wrote: Who went wide when they should have set up a FG? Us
We should go wide TBH. Nobody in our team can kick field goals.
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Walt Flanigan wrote:
Parra
F**k. Was hoping Wests.
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

Raider of d Lost Ark wrote:
Raiders Lim! wrote:If we're going to blame anyone for the loss tonight what about that Croker fella missing the conversion?!
Drop him! :evil:
Jason?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, that bloke - Jason Crocker. Can't tackle, can't kick goals.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

That was seriously one of the worst surfaces I've seen in the last 10 years. Both teams were trying to play footy on **** playdough. What a bludger.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I expected to realistically be 1 from 4 at the start of the year and that's how it's panned out.

We just never ever seem to win in North Qld or Brisbane it's so frustrating that I find it hard to watch those two games.

Parra are a plucky team but it's a must win. Actually the next 3 weeks we should win if we are fair dinkum.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

Anyone else not unhappy about that game?

Our attack was pretty pedestrian for most of the game - looked like we lacked cohesion, basic handling skills, and direction from our halves.

But for most of the game, our defence kept the Broncos out enough that we could level the game towards the end and keep the game tight. I'd say it was just the defensive line getting destabilised when Hodgo came off that let the 2 tries in from the Broncos. Once our defensive line stabilised again, we kept them out.

That kind of defensive effort is something we havent seen regularly from our team in far too long.

I'm still waiting for the day when we win a game without scoring 22 points or more, but with the defensive showings that we've had this season (barring the Sharks game), I think we're getting closer to it.

Our attack will come good, it always has, we have enough strike power across the park - but the one key ingredient we've been missing from being a true premiership threat is a consistently strong defence. But I'm liking what I'm seeing so far from our boys this year. Not quite there yet defensively, but much improved to the past few years.
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

Coastalraider wrote:
1992 wrote:
Coastalraider wrote:

That's absolutely not true. It's unconventional, but we most definitely have left and right side structures, and Sezers job is to get it to either Austin or Whighton to link with our centres and backrowers.

Jump in the NRL website and watch Elliot assess our backline structure, its very interesting.

Admitted we do also play a hell of a lot of adlib footy though.
Trying to find that video but looks like it's down.

Coincidentally The Breakdown video of the Titan's attacking structure when Sezer was there is still up there and in watching that, I think this is why people are so polarised by his performances. Sezer is absolutely that team's be all and end all. He makes the calls, he throws the passes, he puts up the kicks and he kicks their goals. I assume that's what many of us a waiting for him to do for us.

http://www.nrl.com/the-breakdown-with-m ... fault.aspx
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Aero wrote:Anyone else not unhappy about that game?
No, I'm actually not unhappy about it the more I dwell on it (though granted my current benevolence might be due to watching the "All The Tries Croker Special"). Mostly for the same reasons you are.

We never gave up on that game, ever. We showed ticker, heart and pride all the way through.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

whoever was the a defender for the mcluloch try should be dropped.
that was way too simples.

Also boyds try was a repeat of last year, sezer made a bad call sliding do close to his line instead of going up and trying to hit boyd early.

We are team with potential but we lack any intelligence.
CRR

Post by CRR »

ah those lossers are harder to take then the floggings. especially heading back on the train with a carriage full of boncos supporters. i just want a win at suncorp, is it too much to ask?
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Question guys , how many teams have won after a 5 day turn around and if they did win did they
A. Play a team also on a 5 day turn around?
B. Have a game at home and not needed to travel?
C. Play a bottom 4 team?

Relax guys

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Vaccinated
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

papabear wrote:whoever was the a defender for the mcluloch try should be dropped.
I put Mculloch's try up the middle as being due to Hodgo getting injured. The set (and a bit) leading up to that try, Hodgo was on the wing clutching at his rib. I think he just got back to the middle a tackle or so before Mculloch got through. Hodgo came off soon after (if not immediately after).

I didnt get to see the other try, but it being scored to close to the first try, I'd say our defensive line hadn't settled in yet from Hodgo coming off - I know Hodgo defends in the middle and and the try was outside, but defending out wide is done better when there's communication and commitment from the defenders further in.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

Also, anyone else here thinking that we should've gone for the 1 pointer at the end of the first half instead of a nuffy kick to the in goal?

Noone would've expected a field goal attempt at that time, if we get it, we go in to the break with a 1 point advantage and whatever psychological advantage that provides.
If we miss, they would've have enough time to make full use of a 7 tackle set (if the ball goes dead).

We really need our halves to control the game - be ready with 5th tackle options, find touch when our guys need rests, know which corners to kick to (i.e. not to our right side when Rapana had just made a run in field in the previous tackle). I still don't know why all most of our attacking bombs went towards Rapana's wing when he's up against a tall Origin winger. I'd have hedged my bets on Croker's side where we'd probably have the height and skill advantage over the defenders.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I thought the McCullock try was Bateman just being caught out plain and simple actually.
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

Clydesdale adds nothing for mine. Would rather have Taylor.

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

papabear wrote:whoever was the a defender for the mcluloch try should be dropped.

Also boyds try was a repeat of last year, sezer made a bad call sliding do close to his line instead of going up and trying to hit boyd early.

We are team with potential but we lack any intelligence.
Bateman and Soliola
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Thought Sia was at fault but only saw a backwards - side on replay that they are so keep on these days.

Anyone else hate the use of those "impressive" camera angles? They suck. Just keep it simple and on top of that you save money. Sort it out you over payed wank**s.
Last edited by 1992 on March 24, 2017, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Taylor > Bateman next week.

Those errors has resulted in me ageing 20 years tonight.