Post by greeneyed »

2017 Rd 16 V Broncos: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Brisbane Broncos
Saturday June 24 5:30pm, Gates open 3:00pm
Canberra Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League live Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC
Weather: Cloudy. Patchy fog in the early morning. Areas of morning frost. Light winds becoming westerly 15 to 20 km/h in the morning then becoming light in the late afternoon. Chance of any rain: 0 per cent. Possible rainfall: 0 mm Min - Max 12

Round 14 2017. A 24-20 last gasp loss. It was, sadly, one of the worst in Raiders history. Canberra led by eight points with around two minutes remaining. A try was almost scored by Nick Cotric after a kick to the corner. The Penrith Panthers then proceeded to score two four pointers, with Matt Moylan calling the shots. It was gut wrenching, heart breaking. We saw it, but it was hard to believe it happened, inconceivable.

2017 Round 14 Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers

More on Round 14: As I saw it

The Raiders have had the bye weekend to put that behind them, and they now meet the Brisbane Broncos at home in Round 16. Josh Papalii will back up from State of Origin duty for the Raiders, while Shannon Boyd returns from injury at starting prop. Luke Bateman drops back to the bench, with Royce Hunt named on the reserves list. For the Broncos, Anthony Milford (dislocated shoulder) is replaced at five-eighth by Benji Marshall, with Ben Hunt named in the top 17 on the bench. Darius Boyd, Matt Gillett and Josh McGuire will back up from Origin II.

Late changes: Lachlan Croker and Scott Sorensen were omitted on Friday from the Raiders squad, with Dave Taylor and Royce Hunt remaining on the reserves list. The Broncos reshuffled their top 17, with injury to Darius Boyd, moving Jordan Kahu to fullback, and bringing David Mead onto the wing. Jayden Su'A has also dropped out of the Broncos' squad, but there's still no official announcement about which other reserve has been omitted.

Matt's Match-ups: Which players win the skins?

Franko's Five: Five things the Raiders should do to beat the Broncos

History: The Canberra Raiders have won just 19 of 50 matches against the Brisbane Broncos and drawn one. They have won just three of the last 10 matches - and the last four in a row. That includes an an agonising one point loss to the Broncos at Lang Park in Round 4 earlier this year. The Raiders lost the only clash last year, 28-18, in Round 14 - after the Broncos went out to a 24-0 lead after 45 minutes.

The Raiders have won 12 of 23 matches played at Canberra Stadium, and drawn one. The Broncos won't have too many concerns about playing in Canberra, having won their last two matches in the national capital.

2017 Round 4 Canberra Raiders V Brisbane Broncos

2016 Round 14 Canberra Raiders V Brisbane Broncos

In this week's "History Happens", we go back to Round 2 of 2010. It was a 22-14 win at Canberra Stadium, in front of 14,200 people... and it was all topped off by a try to Josh McCrone in the final seconds!

2010 Round 2 Canberra Raiders V Brisbane Broncos

Form: The Raiders have a LWWLL record in the past five matches, while the Broncos have a WWLLW form line. The Broncos have lost to both the Warriors and the Roosters in recent weeks, while they managed to hold on against the South Sydney Rabbitohs, 24-18, in their last start.

Betting: The Raiders are favourites in this week's match, paying $1.53. The Broncos are paying $2.58 - and have 5.5 points start.

Stat attack: It's a match up between fourth and 10th on the competition ladder - with the Broncos having won nine, the Raiders just six.

Attack: The Raiders rank third in the league for average points (22.6) and equal third for average tries scored (3.9). The Broncos rank sixth for points (21.5) and seventh for tries scored (3.6).

The Broncos average a 52 per cent share of possession (the Raiders 49 per cent) and have a better completion rate than the Raiders (76-73 per cent). Only the Sharks have a worse completion rate than the Raiders - and that says more about the grittiness of the second placed Sharks than anything. Both teams receive 15 per cent more penalties than they concede - and around 11 errors per match.

The Broncos are top of the league for running metres (1525 per match, 1398 for the Raiders). Both average 9.3 metres per run - but the Broncos average two more sets with the ball per match than the Raiders. Brisbane also rank second for kicking metres, Canberra 14th (520 per match, 406 for the Raiders).

No team makes more tackle breaks than the Raiders (34 per match) - but the Broncos are still top four (31). The Raiders also produce more try assists (3.6-3.2 per match) and line breaks (4.8-4.6 per match) - while the Broncos make more offloads (10.9-10.3 per match). However, there's not much difference in any of that.

Defence: The Broncos have the better defence, ranking third in the league - the Raiders ninth. They concede just over 16 points (2.8 tries) per match - while Canberra concedes over 19 (3.4 tries) per match. The Broncos concede more running metres than the Raiders (1443-1396 metres per match) - which partly offsets their advantage in metres gained. The Raiders miss fewer tackles (24 per match, compared to 27.2 for the Broncos), but the tackle efficiency for the two teams is line ball. Both teams concede around 3.5 line breaks per match, and the Raiders concede around one more offload per match.

Our tip: Most of the statistics point in favour of a Broncos win in this one. Their attack is in the same ball park as the Raiders, and they are a better defensive outfit. However, there was only one point difference between the teams when they met earlier in the year. And when you look at the points differential for the two teams, the gap is not as large as ladder positions suggest. The Broncos are +76, the Raiders are +46.

The other variables are State of Origin and injury. Canberra has one player backing up, the Broncos three. With Shannon Boyd's return, the Broncos are probably more affected by injury as well. I said last week that the Raiders are not performing to their potential and not performing consistently. That's still the case. But I think Canberra, at home on a winter's night, will be the more desperate to win. Raiders by four.

What they're saying:

Josh Hodgson: "We spoke a bit about game management before Penrith but in a couple key areas we just lost the plot a little bit, two breaks costs us two tries and it can happen as quick as that in this league. We're definitely learning but it would just be nice to win a few of these close ones, especially those golden point ones. Losing a few late can affect your back end of the year so we definitely know we need to fix things up.

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Junior Paulo
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Shannon Boyd
11. Josh Papalii
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Sia Soliola

14. Kurt Baptiste
15. Luke Bateman
16. Clay Priest
17. Joe Tapine

19. Royce Hunt
20. Dave Taylor

Brisbane Broncos

5. Jordan Kahu
2. Corey Oates
3. James Roberts
4. Tautau Moga
21. David Mead
6. Benji Marshall
7. Kodi Nikorima
8. Korbin Sims
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Adam Blair
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Matt Gillett
13. Josh McGuire

14. Alex Glenn
15. Tevita Pangai
16. Joe Ofahengaue
17. Ben Hunt

18. Jai Arrow
20. Herman Essese
22. Jonus Pearson

Officials:

Referees: Henry Perenara, Chris James
Sideline Officials: Dave Ryan, Russell Turner
Video Referees: Luke Patten, Jared Maxwell

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersBroncos

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2017 #FromAllAngles

NSW Premiership teams: Click here
Holden Cup teams: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Re: 2017 Rd 16 V Broncos: Game Day

Post by Lucky »

ok ok so theres 10 games left and we have to win 8, maybe 9, to scrape into the 8.... the run begins here! theres a 98% chance we will win this, the other 2% involves Boyd carving us up like he usually does... Raiders by 10 :thumbsup
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

7 wins should get into the 8
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Six could even get us into the top eight.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Ok who's bored enough to work out if 5 is mathematically possible?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I just rewatched the last 10 minutes of the Penrith game
5 isn't possible
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Pigman wrote:I just rewatched the last 10 minutes of the Penrith game
5 isn't possible
Hang on, I just ran the NRL ladder predictor and we can get as high as 6th, assuming everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) goes our way and we win 5 more games

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I watched the last 10 minutes of the Penrith game

Winning 5 more games isn't possible
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Pigman wrote:I watched the last 10 minutes of the Penrith game

Winning 5 more games isn't possible
hahaha
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

No Boyd, our chances of winning just sky rocketed :thumbsup
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

So kahu to fullback and mead in? That's handy depth to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Sid wrote:So kahu to fullback and mead in? That's handy depth to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's easy to have depth when you don't have a salary cap

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Mead would be in most NRL teams. You'd think Newcastle could make him a decent offer

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

dubby wrote:Mead would be in most NRL teams. You'd think Newcastle could make him a decent offer

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Newcastle has made everyone who even owned a pair of footy boots at any point in their life money. They can't sign anyone to save their lives. Ponga and Guerra is all they've managed and they've thrown millions around.

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Pigman wrote:I just rewatched the last 10 minutes of the Penrith game
5 isn't possible
:D

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Why would you do that to yourself...
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

Playing at home with the media attention of the Broncos missing Boyd and Milford - this has all the classic hallmarks of a Raiders team turning up complacent - I hope I'm wrong.

Get it done lads.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote:
Sometimes I just need to feel pain so I know I'm still alive

And for the attention
Ginga
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Ginga »

Pigman wrote:
Canberra Milk wrote:

And for the attention
I couldn't even log on, listen or watch anything that had the possibility of mentioning that game for the past 12 days let alone invite a stroke by watching it again
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

Dave Taylor still there...

Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

scotchberry wrote:Playing at home with the media attention of the Broncos missing Boyd and Milford - this has all the classic hallmarks of a Raiders team turning up complacent - I hope I'm wrong.

Get it done lads.
Maybe. If we had won a few straight, but I reckon after disappointment and a bye, we a primed for a big win at home!
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Ginga wrote:
Pigman wrote:
Canberra Milk wrote:

And for the attention
I couldn't even log on, listen or watch anything that had the possibility of mentioning that game for the past 12 days let alone invite a stroke by watching it again
Yes if I'm to rewatch it I'd need to be in a padded cell
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Game day preview and team lists updated for Friday's late changes, latest weather and odds.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day......FINALLY!!!!! Go the Raiders!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm ready for a solid 78min performance...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-PJ- wrote:I'm ready for a solid 78min performance...
Which will be sufficient if we're up by 14
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Game day and I am not feeling confident. Benji seems to always play in teams that beat us and we are making a habit of finding innovative ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Prove me wrong raiders!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote:
-PJ- wrote:I'm ready for a solid 78min performance...
Which will be sufficient if we're up by 14
Ya reckon...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If we lose this we should sack the entire HQ staff, coaching staff and top 17, then crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside
Blow it up and start fresh, new club, new players, new fans

We sacrifice ourselves for the good of the club
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Side issue. When do they announce the schedule for rounds 21-26? It's only a month away. Makes it hard to plan ahead for any trips to games.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

Now is the time for the Master Coach to prove he is worth his current contract and his ludicrous (reward for mediocrity) 2 yr extension.
I can't believe the Raiders are favourites??
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Green thumbs »

Game day! Taking 3 grandkids and hoping this is enough to get us over the line.
Weather in Canberra is fine, clear, still. By 5:30 it should be still fine and clear and about 5 deg. I dont think the broncos will like that. I hope Blakey has his studs on tonight - there's going to be some slipping and sliding with the dew.
Great night for the footy. Go Raiders!
green_queenslander
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: mal meninga

Post by green_queenslander »

Awesome positivity to start the game day... this place has lost it!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote:Side issue. When do they announce the schedule for rounds 21-26? It's only a month away. Makes it hard to plan ahead for any trips to games.
Don Furner said last week we will know by the end of this month.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Pigman wrote:If we lose this we should sack the entire HQ staff, coaching staff and top 17, then crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside
Blow it up and start fresh, new club, new players, new fans

We sacrifice ourselves for the good of the club
Sounds reasonable