Coronavirus

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: Coronavirus

Post by gangrenous »

Coastalraider wrote:Doc, I did some number crunching of my own today, and it’s rough to be totally clear, but I couldn’t find the actual data anywhere else.

I used ‘current hospitalised’ numbers from June to now, added each day ‘higher’ numbers as new that day, and compared that with daily covid cases. Seems for the first few weeks we were averaging somewhere 6-8% of daily cases being hospitalised, now currently somewhere 2-3% of daily cases.

Does that sound legit? I’d imagine that the increase in vaccinations in the last 2 months would be starting to have SOME effect, it’s obviously not going to be a magic switch at 70% vac rate.
I think you have other factors at play in your data here.

Early on cases are more likely to be identified through being symptomatic -> they have higher likelihood of hospitalisation

As you increase the number of people getting preemptively tested due to being a contact, or regular screening, you recognise more asymptomatic cases. Early detection also introduces early intervention. Hospitalisation relative to cases drops.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: August 19, 2021, 7:51 pm
Northern Raider wrote:We've often heard about Israel being one of the leaders in vaccination rates. Supposed to be around 70% of the population but hard to work out exact numbers because total population includes 0-15 year olds. Delta strain is running through the place at the moment and getting around 1000 cases per day. Total active cases at 62,000 in a population of 9 million.

The interesting numbers are how many are listed as Serious, which is currently 600 out of those 62,000. Apparently a big chunk of the cases are being spread through children. That would certainly be a factor in the lower numbers of serious cases. A recent sample of the seriously ill cases had around 70% being unvaccinated, 21% partially vaccinated and 9% fully vaccinated.

Of course we don't all the detail of these numbers so any analysis based on the raw figures will be flawed. Regardless we can deduce that vaccination will significantly reduce the impact of COVID. However there will still be an impact.
Precisely. There are about 20 million Australians over 16. 20% of those unvaccinated is 4 million. Conservatively, 1/4 of them get covid next year - 1 million. 5% admission rate - 50,000. 0.3% die - 3000.

Small percentages of large numbers are still large numbers.
Friend of mine reckons Government should set a date in future and say everything reopens from that point. It's then up to the individual whether they get vaccinated or not. Those who choose not to can take their chances with COVID.
That's what the UK did. It works on the assumption of a competant roll out and thst everyone has had a chance to get jabbed by Freedom Day.

One things for sure, there will be less antivaxxers by the end of 2022, one way or another.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

As a doctor in a COVID unit, I’m running out of compassion for the unvaccinated. Get the shot

Last year, a case like this would have flattened me. I would have wrestled with the sadness and how unfair life was. Battled with the angst of how unlucky he was. This year, I struggled to find sympathy. It was August 2021, not 2020. The vaccine had been widely available for months in the U.S., free to anyone who wanted it, even offered in drugstores and supermarkets. Cutting-edge, revolutionary, mind-blowing, lifesaving vaccines were available where people shopped for groceries, and they still didn’t want them.

Read more: https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2 ... ssion=true
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

It’s frustrating enough for non doctors I can’t imagine how much more it would be for those actually dealing with the cases.

I had an argument over vaccinations with a manager from another branch, the indoctrination and crazy coming from an otherwise reasonable person was insane I didn’t realise how far gone she was until she told me to watch a video. After looking who made it and discovering it was a QAnon production I just laughed and gave up.

Some people are just too far gone, nothing will convince them. :doubt:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 19, 2021, 9:20 pm As a doctor in a COVID unit, I’m running out of compassion for the unvaccinated. Get the shot

Last year, a case like this would have flattened me. I would have wrestled with the sadness and how unfair life was. Battled with the angst of how unlucky he was. This year, I struggled to find sympathy. It was August 2021, not 2020. The vaccine had been widely available for months in the U.S., free to anyone who wanted it, even offered in drugstores and supermarkets. Cutting-edge, revolutionary, mind-blowing, lifesaving vaccines were available where people shopped for groceries, and they still didn’t want them.

Read more: https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2 ... ssion=true
Once the 80% fully vaccinated level is reached in Australia, I think the messaging with place heavy emphasis on stats that show the worst affected are the unvaccinated. Hopefully that message will hit home. There will be people who cannot have the vaccines for medical reasons but they are few in number. That will leave a rump of anti-vaxxers which I think will be much less that 20% of the population. Even so, I don't know of any nation which has the Delta variant under control at this point in time. Even at the 80% vaccination level, I think the wearing of masks, social distancing and hand washing/sanitizing will be with us for some time. I am still concerned that there is no vaccine approved for kids under the age of 12.
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

Read some random Houston chronical report suggesting unvaccinated people should have to pay 100% hospital costs without insurance coverage if they get covid

Likened it to not getting insurance if u burn your own house down.. Can't see that happening here but if Vax passports and no Medicare and no health insurance can't convince an anti vaxxer nothing would

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

greeneyed wrote: August 17, 2021, 9:18 pm
RedRaider wrote: August 17, 2021, 9:02 pm Australia now has over 10million first vaccine doses and 5.5million second vaccine doses given. More than 279,000 doses given yesterday. Still a long way to go but acceleration continuing.
https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-a ... ne-rollout
And sadly, thanks to the incompetence of the federal and NSW governments, huge numbers of Australians have been left with no option but to take a vaccine that risks very serious side effects. The massive failure of the federal government's COVID vaccine program is shown here: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ases-today
Is this still a thing?

I thought that massive study in Catalonia showed there was no difference in the vaccines for side effects.

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/astraze ... dy-1127179
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MrPosh wrote: August 20, 2021, 12:20 am
RedRaider wrote: August 17, 2021, 9:02 pm Australia now has over 10million first vaccine doses and 5.5million second vaccine doses given. More than 279,000 doses given yesterday. Still a long way to go but acceleration continuing.
And sadly, thanks to the incompetence of the federal and NSW governments, huge numbers of Australians have been left with no option but to take a vaccine that risks very serious side effects. The massive failure of the federal government's COVID vaccine program is shown here: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ases-today
Is this still a thing?

I thought that massive study in Catalonia showed there was no difference in the vaccines for side effects.

Don’t think there’s any such thing as a “massive study in Catalonia”. The warnings about AstraZeneca are pretty clear.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

gangrenous wrote: August 19, 2021, 8:52 pm
Coastalraider wrote:Doc, I did some number crunching of my own today, and it’s rough to be totally clear, but I couldn’t find the actual data anywhere else.

I used ‘current hospitalised’ numbers from June to now, added each day ‘higher’ numbers as new that day, and compared that with daily covid cases. Seems for the first few weeks we were averaging somewhere 6-8% of daily cases being hospitalised, now currently somewhere 2-3% of daily cases.

Does that sound legit? I’d imagine that the increase in vaccinations in the last 2 months would be starting to have SOME effect, it’s obviously not going to be a magic switch at 70% vac rate.
I think you have other factors at play in your data here.

Early on cases are more likely to be identified through being symptomatic -> they have higher likelihood of hospitalisation

As you increase the number of people getting preemptively tested due to being a contact, or regular screening, you recognise more asymptomatic cases. Early detection also introduces early intervention. Hospitalisation relative to cases drops.
Yep, 100% agree there are factors that I can’t track that’s for sure. The other is that the data I have only shows current cases, but I can’t track when someone is released. Now with a 5-6 week hospitalisation that’s not as big an error over an 8 week period as I first though, but it’s still an error.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

greeneyed wrote: August 20, 2021, 1:13 am
Is this still a thing?

Don’t think there’s any such thing as a “massive study in Catalonia”. The warnings about AstraZeneca are pretty clear.
It was more than a million people, so it's certainly bigger than anything else and enough to be statistically significant.

The study shows no greater threat from AZ than there is Pfizer.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I responded to your post earlier.

One million is dwarfed by the results of people getting it in the world. That’s your study.

One million people studying effects that occur in around 1 in 100000 are prone to noise and random fluctuations. You only expect ~10 cases.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MrPosh wrote: August 20, 2021, 6:02 am
greeneyed wrote: August 20, 2021, 1:13 am
Is this still a thing?

It was more than a million people, so it's certainly bigger than anything else and enough to be statistically significant.

The study shows no greater threat from AZ than there is Pfizer.
There’s a fair bit of discussion of it above. The real world experiences of many times the size are a better guide. Medical authorities around the world are setting rules and giving advice on relative safety on the basis of that. Even on Australian experience we know we have seven deaths attributed to AstraZeneca blood clotting. In relative terms, Pfizer is clearly safer. Seems to be more effective too.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

But the government tells me I should have AZ and not to listen to an independent body set up that look in to these things.
This place is woke.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

That's because they want you dead.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

12 new cases, 11 are linked to existing cases, one under investigation: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329

47 per cent of the ACT cases are in the 0-17 age group, which is deeply saddening, as vaccinations have not yet been approved for children under 12.

18000 odd close contacts, 5000 secondary contacts. Getting up to 25,000 in quarantine.

Just watching 7 News... it appears third jabs are going to be required as efficacy falls after three months.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

This sucks Steven
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Welcome to Gladystan..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

11 people test positive after attending an illegal beach party in Maroubra.
But I thought there was no issue with people hanging out on the beach?

Police have no info on party... imagine my surprise

https://www.news.com.au/national/breaki ... d829d58b8b
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 20, 2021, 3:31 pm 11 people test positive after attending an illegal beach party in Maroubra.

Are there people who seriously think that COVID does not transmit outdoors?

**** used your brain. The limo driver passed it to a lady at an outdoor cafe to start this whole thing ****.

Obviously there is a lower transmission risk being outside than being indoors.

But its so painfully obvious that it depends on the context. If you're outside having a beach party in Maroubra, sharing drinks and darts and debauchery, why would you think you're immune.

It is just a lazy claim by the outraged freedom fighters in this country.
Up The Milk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

And curfews are now in. You can time their decision making with a sundial.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Mickey_Raider wrote: August 20, 2021, 4:33 pm
If you're outside having a beach party in Maroubra, sharing drinks and darts and debauchery,

Oh stop it not now.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

First on my agenda is to ride naked tandem with azza on a mini mal.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I'm kinda sickened by this hero worship of nurses and all this sickening thankyou crap, it's your job, do it and stop bringing it into your workplace like st georges oncology unit, these **** have enough to worry about.
This place is woke.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Question wrote: August 20, 2021, 4:58 pm First on my agenda is to ride naked tandem with azza on a mini mal.
My pop-ups gone way backwards since I moved off the 8 footer softlite onto a 7ft fun board mate.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Coronavirus

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 20, 2021, 3:31 pm 11 people test positive after attending an illegal beach party in Maroubra.

**** used your brain. The limo driver passed it to a lady at an outdoor cafe to start this whole thing ****.

But its so painfully obvious that it depends on the context. If you're outside having a beach party in Maroubra, sharing drinks and darts and debauchery, why would you think you're immune.

It was a cheeky dig at Dr Chant not being worried about beach goers, when I was comparing PINs issued in the Eastern suburbs vs Western suburbs. Part of my “West Sydney is copping the hangover from Eastern Sydney’s party” series of rants.
Dr Zaius wrote:Are they breaking the rules? Aren't you allowed out exercising? Dr Chant said about 2 weeks ago that she was not concerned by people walking on the beach.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 20, 2021, 5:47 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:

It was a cheeky dig at Dr Chant not being worried about beach goers, when I was comparing PINs issued in the Eastern suburbs vs Western suburbs. Part of my “West Sydney is copping the hangover from Eastern Sydney’s party” series of rants.
Dr Zaius wrote:Are they breaking the rules? Aren't you allowed out exercising? Dr Chant said about 2 weeks ago that she was not concerned by people walking on the beach.
No I agree with you completely.

Just taking your dig further to the broader cohort who cannot wrap their little cells around the fact sharing cocktails at a beach picnic is not zero risk.
Up The Milk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I think that there is a clear difference between walking on the beach and partying on the beach.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The hardest part about this 7 day lockdown is the first 3 weeks.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Melbourne looking like Sydney did a month ago
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

At some point like in the movie titanic ya just gotta throw your arm over the missus put your head down on the pillow and close your eyes.
This place is woke.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Dr Zaius wrote:Melbourne looking like Sydney did a month ago
Yep, they’re looking in deep **** too. Ugh.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

The thing about 21,000 Canberrans told to quarantine is that it means their whole household has to quarantine.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

825 in NSW today..

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Wow. NSW and VIC in a world of pain.

Lockdown until Christmas sounded like an exaggeration not too long ago. Not so sure any more.
Up The Milk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Mickey_Raider wrote:Wow. NSW and VIC in a world of pain.

Lockdown until Christmas sounded like an exaggeration not too long ago. Not so sure any more.
Lockdown until 70-80% target achieved is a formality now.