Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders interested in David Fifita?

Post by Rick »

Article saying it’s between Titans, Dragons, south’s and Raiders.

$750,000 is what titans have offered, be interesting to see where he lands.

Can we load up his partners pay to sweeten the deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rick wrote: November 3, 2022, 2:20 pm Article saying it’s between Titans, Dragons, south’s and Raiders.

Now says… “at least the Raiders and Dragons”. Maybe Rabbitohs have denied.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

David Fifita’s $1.2m contract set to be slashed as four-club battle heats up for star’s signature

Four clubs are set to battle it out for the signature of Titans superstar David Fifita, who is set for a significant pay cut after a disappointing 2022 campaign. The 22-year-old signed a lucrative three-year deal ahead of the 2021 season, but his contract worth a reported $1.2 million per-season is set to be slashed to $750,000.

That salary has reportedly piqued the interest of the Raiders, Rabbitohs, Dragons and also the Titans who are desperate to retain the backrow gun.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ca785327a5

https://www.zerotackle.com/surprise-sui ... ta-125063/

AUDIO: Four clubs in the mix to sign David Fifita: https://www.triplem.com.au/story/riccio ... ita-208097

Titans coach Justin Holbrook insists David Fifita is going nowhere, with the Gold Coast to table a minimum two-year, $1.5 million deal: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 20e1eb3a68

Geyer says on audio the Raiders have signed Shaylee Bent (but that might not be true as well).
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

His form over the past 2 years has not been up to his 'gun' reputation. He got the big bucks and turned into Bronson Harrison. If the Raiders do have a serious crack at him, I hope there are some performance clauses which must be met to guarantee payment. E.g. number of carries per match, average meters per carry, tackle efficiency etc.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Rick wrote:Article saying it’s between Titans, Dragons, south’s and Raiders.

That’s what I was thinking, that’s probably our best bet but I can’t see him coming here

In Ricky We Trust
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Ideally we'll sign him from around August onwards for a tilt at the finals once Gold Coast realise they won't make it

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
David
Ken Nagas

Post by David »

So a Hodgson+Elliot+CNK+Sutton+Rushton = a Fifita???

Kermit
John Ferguson

Post by Kermit »

David wrote: November 3, 2022, 4:29 pm So a Hodgson+Elliot+CNK+Sutton+Rushton = a Fifita???

Have to agree. Recruitment has fallen off a cliff.

Would prefer us to go all out for Bateman….no coincidence our success was when he was here! And isn’t his Mrs from Canberra??!
Golden Boogs Winner 2006 - Best Newcomer
Golden Boogs Winner 2008 - Best Couple

"Nobody's looked better in the Lime Green except maybe Kermit the Frog..." - Reg Reagan.

"this is just Groundhog Day for the Raiders" (Laurie Daley 2/6/12 on 40-0 defeat to Wests)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kermit wrote: November 3, 2022, 4:41 pm
David wrote: November 3, 2022, 4:29 pm So a Hodgson+Elliot+CNK+Sutton+Rushton = a Fifita???

Would prefer us to go all out for Bateman….no coincidence our success was when he was here! And isn’t his Mrs from Canberra??!
It is never, ever happening. There is zero chance he would be recruited by the Raiders.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

If we signed Fifita, that's a solid upgrade on Elliott - and he's the only starting 13 player from 2022 in your list. Hodgson was injured practically all season and CNK couldn't make first grade. Sutton was mostly used as a reserve prop (made the 17 through injury usually) and we've got middles with talent like Mariota coming through. Rushton is a loss imo, but if he wasn't enjoying it here then he was never going to play his best footy for us.

I've been very critical of our recruitment pretty much every off-season I can remember but I would be satisfied for once if we got the Fifita deal across the line at around the $750k mark. There are other talented backrowers on the market like Nanai, Talakai, Radley... I'd imagine it would cost more than the $750k for Fifita to entice one of those blokes away from their current club. Fifita is at the Gold Coast Titans.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Kermit wrote: November 3, 2022, 4:41 pm

Shoulders are stuffed. Best to stay well away
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I thought I saw he signed with Tigers already (Bateman that is)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: November 3, 2022, 6:21 pm I thought I saw he signed with Tigers already (Bateman that is)
Bateman coy over links with NRL's Tigers: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... ls-tigers/
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

How nice of him to just want to talk about the important upcoming game instead of his contract…
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: November 3, 2022, 7:25 pm How nice of him to just want to talk about the important upcoming game instead of his contract…
Yet he actually even sought to hijack the Raiders’ captains call appearance for this finals series… after dissing the club at every opportunity last year.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

:lol:
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

This was the key bit:

"The Raiders' interest is logical given they recently secured the signature of Fifita's partner Shaylee Bent"

Not only does it look like a good sign, but it makes me wonder - Hey GE, are we going to get a dedicated thread for NRLW? Are you going to dare call it a "pathway"?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lui_Bon wrote: November 3, 2022, 9:01 pm This was the key bit:

"The Raiders' interest is logical given they recently secured the signature of Fifita's partner Shaylee Bent"

Not only does it look like a good sign, but it makes me wonder - Hey GE, are we going to get a dedicated thread for NRLW? Are you going to dare call it a "pathway"?
I thought we’d have the NRLW threads on the Canberra Raiders board. We have Tasha Gale Cup on the Pathways board (for NRLW). But I’m open to suggestions.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Getting Fifita would be massive. My fingers and toes are crossed
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

greeneyed wrote: November 3, 2022, 9:12 pm

I thought we’d have the NRLW threads on the Canberra Raiders board. We have Tasha Gale Cup on the Pathways board (for NRLW). But I’m open to suggestions.
wise person.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Matt wrote: November 3, 2022, 9:16 pm Getting Fifita would be massive. My fingers and toes are crossed
yes me too.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Lui_Bon wrote: November 3, 2022, 9:32 pm
Matt wrote: November 3, 2022, 9:16 pm Getting Fifita would be massive. My fingers and toes are crossed
yes me too.
Me three. Get it Don.

Knowing us though, we'll probably end up with Andrew's brother.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I hope Fifita joins us, we can make him realise his potential. He will see how Tapine, Papa and Young do it. He's a much better option than Bateman and Frizell.

We do need to make some signings other than players who are not really FG standard. We need to build on our 6th place finish.
Drandyt
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Drandyt »

Yep, he is a beast - would love to see him reach his potential at the Raiders - don't see it happening...
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

yeh raiders wrote: November 4, 2022, 12:01 pm
Lui_Bon wrote: November 3, 2022, 9:32 pm
yes me too.
Me three. Get it Don.

Knowing us though, we'll probably end up with Andrew's brother.
Wheres @coastalraider ????
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I've often said the edge forward in the icing on the cake position and spending big money on that when you've got major question marks at key spine positions is not how i'd build a team... but this is why teams keep doing it, when you got a chance to get someone like David Fifita, it's awfully hard not to say "**** it. Lets do this. It's going to be awesome" :lol:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Fifita as a player reminds me of what my coach said to me many years ago.

“You do the 1 percenters as well as anyone in the game. You just don’t do the other 99%”.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: November 4, 2022, 9:20 pm Fifita as a player reminds me of what my coach said to me many years ago.

“You do the 1 percenters as well as anyone in the game. You just don’t do the other 99%”.
I got the "I know footy is important to you, but school is important too" version of that
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:
BJ wrote: November 4, 2022, 9:20 pm Fifita as a player reminds me of what my coach said to me many years ago.

I got the "I know footy is important to you, but school is important too" version of that
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Hi Lui, Is there any confirmation from the Raiders of this signing?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

RedRaider wrote: November 4, 2022, 10:13 pm

It might have been a misunderstanding around language. The story I heard was Fifita’s manager asked him “how would you feel about moving to Canberra?” To which he replied “get Bent!”
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

RedRaider wrote: November 4, 2022, 10:13 pm

Not that I've seen. She was also profiled in The Australian a month or so ago and seemed very happy at the Dragons.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I wonder if this is why we are keeping the 30th spot open and not announcing the signing of Levi. DFJ may be 'wishing and hoping' for Bent and Fifita as a package deal. But this means both will have to leave their current homes and move to the ACT. I guess it's possible if the financial rewards are in it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RedRaider wrote: November 5, 2022, 11:38 pm I wonder if this is why we are keeping the 30th spot open and not announcing the signing of Levi. DFJ may be 'wishing and hoping' for Bent and Fifita as a package deal. But this means both will have to leave their current homes and move to the ACT. I guess it's possible if the financial rewards are in it.
Club has confirmed the 30th spot goes to Levi: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1897771

But still might have space for a couple of signings.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

RedRaider wrote:I wonder if this is why we are keeping the 30th spot open and not announcing the signing of Levi. DFJ may be 'wishing and hoping' for Bent and Fifita as a package deal. But this means both will have to leave their current homes and move to the ACT. I guess it's possible if the financial rewards are in it.
Fifita still has a year on his contract. If we are signing him it wouldn't be until next year

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk