Re: Canberra Raiders ramp up bid for David Fifita

Post by -TW- »

It's not really trolling when it's blatantly wrong

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

FROG wrote: November 28, 2022, 5:11 am I agree that it would be a risky move for Fifita to go to the dolphins and its why I think we are a good chance to pick him up...

I think the problem with the dolphins recruitment isn't bennet or a perception that he is past it, it's the realisation that no one wants to play for a crap team and a belief that they don't have the roster to do something special. I happen to believe they will surprise many next year and do well, but that's just me. Players however seem to think otherwise and no good player wants to be that player which signs foe them to turn that perception around. And for the record, I'm not sure if fifita can be that player, given they are desperate to improve their spine
Why would you sign for the dolphins if you are a rep player? Look what happened to Ado Carr, let’a face it the top notch play makers aren’t going to switch from a roosters or Melbourne to go to the Tigers or knights. Salary cap or not.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

greeneyed wrote: November 30, 2022, 3:21 pm
UncleDrew wrote: November 30, 2022, 1:42 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: November 30, 2022, 10:53 am David Fifita has been sighted in Braddon.
Seriously? Or are you trolling?
Trolling.
Not trolling. Seen leaving Assembly pub during the day late last week. Not a certain sign he was here negotiating with the Raiders but he has been in the ACT recently. Make of it what you will but he was here.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Sure he was

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

-TW- wrote: November 30, 2022, 5:51 pm Sure he was

It's true. He said it was the most incredible nightspot he'd ever been to. Then he hopped onto a lime green Malvern Star and could not believe the way down to new Raiders HQ was 100% safe cycle pathed. Sounded ready to leave the glitter strip behind if you ask me.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Bluesbrother wrote:
Bluesbrother wrote: November 30, 2022, 10:53 am David Fifita has been sighted in Braddon.
Trolling.
Not trolling. Seen leaving Assembly pub during the day late last week. Not a certain sign he was here negotiating with the Raiders but he has been in the ACT recently. Make of it what you will but he was here.
He was filming the CNK piece for Fox.

That's the kind of guy he is.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He was looking for somewhere to... assemble
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Not sure why everyone is so quick to rubbish this claim. It makes sense he would visit Canberra. Raiders have said they have ramped up efforts to secure him. Even if he has no interest in coming here he’d be mad not to tour the facilities and create an urgency for the dolphins to pitch a good deal.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

He was here - no spin. Take it or leave it, I am just letting you know as I thought raiders fans would be interested.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: November 30, 2022, 7:52 pm Not sure why everyone is so quick to rubbish this claim. It makes sense he would visit Canberra. Raiders have said they have ramped up efforts to secure him. Even if he has no interest in coming here he’d be mad not to tour the facilities and create an urgency for the dolphins to pitch a good deal.
I think it's just people trying to temper their expectations.

You're right, the "tour the suitors facilities" is part of the whole process, whether it's legit or just looking for a bump in pay from where you'd really like to end up.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BadnMean wrote: December 1, 2022, 9:48 am
Billy Walker wrote: November 30, 2022, 7:52 pm Not sure why everyone is so quick to rubbish this claim. It makes sense he would visit Canberra. Raiders have said they have ramped up efforts to secure him. Even if he has no interest in coming here he’d be mad not to tour the facilities and create an urgency for the dolphins to pitch a good deal.
I think it's just people trying to temper their expectations.

You're right, the "tour the suitors facilities" is part of the whole process, whether it's legit or just looking for a bump in pay from where you'd really like to end up.
Agreed. There is actually no reason to disbelieve that he would take time during the off season to tour our facilities.
Billy is spot on here. Even if he has absolutely no intention on coming here, it's a day out of his life, on our dime and helps create the market.

And FWIW i think we have a legitimate shot to land him.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

We all know he was here to inspect the mountain bike tracks and the fantastic public transport services to get him down to Tuggeranong.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bluesbrother wrote: November 30, 2022, 5:28 pm
Trolling.
Sorry, I had you confused with someone who trolls about John Folau and others being spotted at cafes in Canberra.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:We all know he was here to inspect the mountain bike tracks and the fantastic public transport services to get him down to Tuggeranong.
I hope he spent a whole weekend here familiarising himself with the transport network and sussing out future routes to EPIC, Gungahlin and Bruce. I'm sure he was at Eddison Park with a tape measure to throw his support behind my location suggestion.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

We very rarely sign big names...People are just sceptical
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I think it is common knowledge we are interested and he is entertaining our offerings.

Whether that relates in Fifita eventually signing is another matter.
Conor
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Conor »

Can love lure Gold Coast Titans forward David Fifita to the Canberra Raiders?

The Titans are facing a huge battle to retain David Fifita with the Raiders launching a $2.7 million poaching bid for the Queensland Origin wrecking ball. The Raiders also hope to recruit his partner Shaylee Bent for their NRLW team.

It is understood the Raiders are armed with a multi-year offer and prepared to pay up to $900,000 a season to lure Fifita to Canberra. The Raiders are keen to fly the Titans back-rower to the nation’s capital for a tour of their headquarters and a meeting with coach Ricky Stuart.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... d41c898b1d

https://www.codesports.com.au/nrl/nrl-s ... d41c898b1d

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 4bc948ef99

Reports that we’re talking $2.7m at $900,000 per year.

Possibly overs, but I think I’d cope. Optimism bias and all that. Fingers crossed!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

But Riaan assured us it was $750k and even claimed that was too much for a player out of form…..

I know he isn’t a spine player but I’m happy if we land him for $900k. He’s a big gun!
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

It’s overs if he produces what he did this year next year.

If he delivers on what he’s actually capable of, it’s about right for a forward.

Million plus is reserved for elite spine players.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Just don't show him the stadium.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Too much money…. We need someone like Bateman… someone to fight for everything….
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Finchy wrote: December 2, 2022, 2:35 pm It’s overs if he produces what he did this year next year.

If he delivers on what he’s actually capable of, it’s about right for a forward.

Sums it up. He's capable of being a $900k player. To date he's not performed like one.

We shouldn't forget that he's only 22 so plenty of upside. At the same age Liam Martin and Kikau were only just establishing himself in 1st grade. Same with Hudson Young. Olakau'atu was in reserve grade at Manly. Point being that not many 2nd rowers have achieved what Fifita has at the same stage.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Ilanraiders wrote:Too much money…. We need someone like Bateman… someone to fight for everything….
We got one fantastic year out of Bateman and I loved every minute of it. He's past it now though. However I think you may mean just a similar player to him, not him. They're very hard to come by.

I think Fifita would be a great addition to the club, could potentially take us from making up the numbers to being a contender.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

gergreg wrote: December 2, 2022, 4:36 pm
Ilanraiders wrote:Too much money…. We need someone like Bateman… someone to fight for everything….
We got one fantastic year out of Bateman and I loved every minute of it. He's past it now though. However I think you may mean just a similar player to him, not him. They're very hard to come by.

I think Fifita would be a great addition to the club, could potentially take us from making up the numbers to being a contender.
Yep like I said someone like Bateman….
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Ilanraiders wrote: December 2, 2022, 4:52 pm
gergreg wrote: December 2, 2022, 4:36 pm

Yep like I said someone like Bateman….
I think every team would love someone like that. You can only sign who's available though. Not sure anybody on the open market fits the category.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Finchy wrote: December 2, 2022, 2:35 pm It’s overs if he produces what he did this year next year.

Agree Finchy. The issue I have with $900K for Fifita is that he is reported to be 'offered' that following a poor year. What must Young be worth considering his year? I doubt any other club would offer even close to that considering his output at the Titans. It's a free market and I don't begrudge players making what they can from the game. I have concerns what a high paid low performer with no Raiders Club history will do to the mindset of the playing group. A tough one for Sticky/Madge to manage if he produces a '2022 Titans' performance in 2023.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

absolutely comfortable with 900k

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:
Trolling.
Sorry, I had you confused with someone who trolls about John Folau and others being spotted at cafes in Canberra.
Wait… so they weren’t spotted?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: December 2, 2022, 6:26 pm
greeneyed wrote:
Trolling.
Wait… so they weren’t spotted?
John Folau no. We also now know David Fifita hasn't been to Canberra to look at Braddon HQ. (I guess he may have been in Canberra.)
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

One of the greatest eyes for talent, Peter Mullholland rated fifita as the best junior he has ever seen. What else is there to say. If we can pick him up I'd be ecstatic. That said you wouldn't want to pay a whole lot more than 900k.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

FROG wrote: December 2, 2022, 7:33 pm One of the greatest eyes for talent, Peter Mullholland rated fifita as the best junior he has ever seen. What else is there to say. If we can pick him up I'd be ecstatic. That said you wouldn't want to pay a whole lot more than 900k.
I would wager that assessment from the late Mullholland is a contributing factor to the clubs eagerness to get this done. There is no doubt Stuart and co had absolute trust and faith in Mullholland as a talent scout and if they've got a chance to get a guy he rated that highly, they'll leave no stone unturned
Kermit
John Ferguson

Post by Kermit »

Ilanraiders wrote: December 2, 2022, 3:59 pm Too much money…. We need someone like Bateman… someone to fight for everything….
Couldn’t agree more……and would love to see him back here. Sadly don’t think it will ever happen. $900k would be unders for what Bateman offers the team and culture!
Golden Boogs Winner 2006 - Best Newcomer
Golden Boogs Winner 2008 - Best Couple

"Nobody's looked better in the Lime Green except maybe Kermit the Frog..." - Reg Reagan.

"this is just Groundhog Day for the Raiders" (Laurie Daley 2/6/12 on 40-0 defeat to Wests)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

What does John Bateman offer the Canberra Raiders in terms of our team culture? Surely we learned long ago he was a negative for club culture. Right from the day he used Grand Final week to boost his desire for a renegotiated contract. He was a negative for club culture even after leaving!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: December 2, 2022, 8:39 pm What does John Bateman offer the Canberra Raiders in terms of our team culture? Surely we learned long ago he was a negative for club culture. Right from the day he used Grand Final week to boost his desire for a renegotiated contract. He was a negative for club culture even after leaving!
I suspect many will disagree with you, but I think you’re right. It isn’t like Bateman landed us a raft of premierships but he did his best to derail us and fairly succeeded for a while.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Kermit wrote: December 2, 2022, 8:20 pm
Ilanraiders wrote: December 2, 2022, 3:59 pm Too much money…. We need someone like Bateman… someone to fight for everything….
Couldn’t agree more……and would love to see him back here. Sadly don’t think it will ever happen. $900k would be unders for what Bateman offers the team and culture!
Back here? He did nothing in his last year here and both shoulders are gone.