Jack Wighton to join South Sydney Rabbitohs in 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Choc Magic
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Rapana

Re: Jack Wighton to test the open market for 2024

Post by Choc Magic »

If Jack goes, regardless of who replaces him, they will have a higher IQ. Which is a step in the right direction IMO.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: March 31, 2023, 9:00 am the market doesnt appear to be that strong for Wighton.
I remain as convinced as ever this ends in a 3 year extension here... whether that's good, bad or indifferent for the club is in the eye of the beholder.
How I see it too.
The question then turns to: are we going to add what we need around him to make the most of it?
Or are we going to sit on our hands waiting for the next Fafita?
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

So if he decides to stay, is he on 900k next year ? Or can we drop his offer to 650k ?
Still gets paid... less
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Neeeegz wrote: March 31, 2023, 9:55 am So if he decides to stay, is he on 900k next year ? Or can we drop his offer to 650k ?
Still gets paid... less
If he was serious about winning something, that's what he'd ask for....then ask Ricky to move him to lock and go make an offer for William Kennedy and Trindall...
But we know that won't happen.
Ricky will hand him the albatross 'Good Bloke' upgrade of 4 years at $4 million and a lifetime supply of three quarter pants..
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Neeeegz wrote: March 31, 2023, 9:55 am So if he decides to stay, is he on 900k next year ? Or can we drop his offer to 650k ?
Still gets paid... less
If he's not exercised his player option, then he has no contract... we can offer whatever we think he's worth, be it 120k or 1.2m

Wighton and agent will likely view (fair or unfairly) any offer that is less than he's earning right now to be fairly insulting and i suspect if we did that, they'd take their chances at the Dolphins/Tigers/whoever.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Boomercm wrote: March 31, 2023, 5:43 am We can revisit the Keary vs Jack value discussion in 2-3 years. I think the Roosters have been managing concussion better than most clubs for a long while and the players have missed more games, and been more honest about their symptoms.

That part of the bet aside, he is the style of player we need
If you're talking a 3 year deal for Keary starting in 2025 then the conversation may need to be shelved for 4-5 years to determine the outcome.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

GreenMachine wrote: March 31, 2023, 9:53 am
Botman wrote: March 31, 2023, 9:00 am the market doesnt appear to be that strong for Wighton.
I remain as convinced as ever this ends in a 3 year extension here... whether that's good, bad or indifferent for the club is in the eye of the beholder.
How I see it too.
The question then turns to: are we going to add what we need around him to make the most of it?
Or are we going to sit on our hands waiting for the next Fafita?
I’m almost certain they will sit on their hands and that’s why I wouldn’t hold it against Wighton if he left. For a start, its mind blowing that the club is comfortable with our current hooker situation.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Choc Magic wrote: March 31, 2023, 9:26 am If Jack goes, regardless of who replaces him, they will have a higher IQ. Which is a step in the right direction IMO.
We do have way too may lunatics and not enough players with good match awareness.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Botman wrote: March 31, 2023, 10:04 am
Still gets paid... less
If he's not exercised his player option, then he has no contract... we can offer whatever we think he's worth, be it 120k or 1.2m

Wighton and agent will likely view (fair or unfairly) any offer that is less than he's earning right now to be fairly insulting and i suspect if we did that, they'd take their chances at the Dolphins/Tigers/whoever.
That's what I thought, good, he's overpaid for what he delivers, and when all his other options have dried up, he will lose money by not taking his option.
He really is mentally challenged
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Northern Raider wrote: March 31, 2023, 10:18 am
Boomercm wrote: March 31, 2023, 5:43 am We can revisit the Keary vs Jack value discussion in 2-3 years. I think the Roosters have been managing concussion better than most clubs for a long while and the players have missed more games, and been more honest about their symptoms.

If you're talking a 3 year deal for Keary starting in 2025 then the conversation may need to be shelved for 4-5 years to determine the outcome.
My comment has been given far too much serious consideration!

But if taken seriously, lets be accurate about what I said. Which was a player swap beginning next year
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We'd pay more than $1million for Jack Wighton: Redcliffe Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett

Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett says the club will pay more than $1million for Canberra playmaker Jack Wighton if they think he is the right fit.

"If we thought he was the right fit for the club and brought the things that we need then we would probably pay more than $1million," Bennett said. "That's not the issue. The issue is, 'Does he fit our needs? Do we suit him?' They are the things that we've all got to talk about and work out.

Read more: https://canberraweekly.com.au/bennett-s ... r-wighton/

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14274

READ AND AUDIO: The Daily Telegraph’s David Riccio revealed that the Canberra Raiders are becoming increasingly worried that star Jack Wighton will leave the club at the end of the season: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/03/30/ ... huge-step/

Latrell wants Wighton at Souths ‘but we don’t have a sombrero’: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 507457977f

‘Keen to talk’: Bennett confirms Dolphins’ Wighton play... with one big stumbling block: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f3abfa8499
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Boomercm wrote: March 31, 2023, 11:05 am
Northern Raider wrote: March 31, 2023, 10:18 am

My comment has been given far too much serious consideration!

But if taken seriously, lets be accurate about what I said. Which was a player swap beginning next year
Apologies as I missed the player swap part. In that context I'm not seeing Roosters entertaining the scenario. Unless of course you mean Roosters sign Wighton and let subsequently let Keary seek offers elsewhere. Regardless it's the same argument brought forward 1 year about aging player and damaged goods.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Clint Eastwood flapping his gums more than usual…

Reading between the lines, I don’t think the sea donkeys want him in the halves, hence the statement about “fit”.

Hopefully Don and Ricky don’t take the bait, but the form guide isn’t great when dealing with our “good blokes”..
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Looks like the Dolphins have now done five minutes investigation and now understand Wighton is more than $1 million. I agree they don’t see him in the halves.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: March 31, 2023, 12:26 pm Looks like the Dolphins have now done five minutes investigation and now understand Wighton is more than $1 million. I agree they don’t see him in the halves.
Or they’ve figured out what we’ve known all along…his best position is centre and you can’t pay a centre $1M per season…
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Without the puppet master crying on his shoulder about he's like a son to him and all that garbage, I'd like to hear Jack come out and say I love the 5/8th position.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Question wrote: March 31, 2023, 12:37 pm Without the puppet master crying on his shoulder about he's like a son to him and all that garbage, I'd like to hear Jack come out and say I love the 5/8th position.

I think he likes the colour of money more..
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Question wrote:Without the puppet master crying on his shoulder about he's like a son to him and all that garbage, I'd like to hear Jack come out and say I love the 5/8th position.

I actually think Jack getting out from under Rocky’s wing could be the best thing for the final years of his career.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

GreenMachine wrote: March 31, 2023, 9:59 am
Still gets paid... less
If he was serious about winning something, that's what he'd ask for....then ask Ricky to move him to lock and go make an offer for William Kennedy and Trindall...
This is the worst idea ever.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GreenMachine wrote: March 31, 2023, 12:28 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 31, 2023, 12:26 pm Looks like the Dolphins have now done five minutes investigation and now understand Wighton is more than $1 million. I agree they don’t see him in the halves.
Or they’ve figured out what we’ve known all along…his best position is centre and you can’t pay a centre $1M per season…
But Wayne is saying they're prepared to pay more than $1 million.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: March 31, 2023, 1:27 pm
Wayne is really saying somebody else should pay him more than $1m.
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

Riaan wrote: March 31, 2023, 1:23 pm
Still gets paid... less
Yep. Kennedy has been great lately, but he has the benefit of playing on the end of an incredibly slick attack (Fitzgibbon is an attacking wizard). Put him in our ‘structures’ and I’m confident he’d be very average.

Trindall has been around for quite a while. He has improved, but I don’t see him suddenly becoming a regular first grader, especially with our coaches track record with halfbacks.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:
I know just the team!
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: March 31, 2023, 1:32 pm
yep.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Riaan wrote: March 31, 2023, 1:23 pm
Still gets paid... less
Never ceases to amaze me how many times our supporters overate our own players and underrate players from other teams.

Both those players are realistically obtainable and would improve us today if they were in our 13.

But hey, let’s try and sign Tedesco and Munster…
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Honest question…

Do you really think a back up talent like Trindall would come here and look like he does at the sharks?
Or do you think he’d come here and look a lot like Jamaal Fogarty has?

That’s why I think we need to overpay for a truly special talent. A talent that at least has a chance to be special enough to preserve through the coaching issue.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: March 31, 2023, 4:10 pm Honest question…

Do you really think a back up talent like Trindall would come here and look like he does at the sharks?
Or do you think he’d come here and look a lot like Jamaal Fogarty has?

That’s why I think we need to overpay for a truly special talent. A talent that at least has a chance to be special enough to preserve through the coaching issue.
That’s why the most important change we need is a new coach.

We can overpay for the next best talent in the halves…in fact, I agree that is exactly the approach we should take…
But whilst Ricky is still head coach here, that’s not happening…
And even if it did happen, chances are he destroy that youngsters career..
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

I think we should try sign Niwhai Puru from the sharks and continue investing in Hohepa Puru.

Other than that I don’t see any viable replacement who come off contract at the end for 2024. Maybe Toby Sexton or Thomas Weaver?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Wayne: hey Jack. I'm prepared to pay you over a million dollars a year to play centre.

Jack: cool. Did you know your mouth is on the side of your head?
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Dr Zaius wrote:..
well put Doc

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

bonehead wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:..
well put Doc

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Exactly. You know it.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Wonder how us supporter base could help encourage Sticky to go test the open market.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

If Stuart went on the open market, even West Tigers wouldn't bite.

AOB is even a better coach than him - LOL
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

Backline looked better tonight with a ball playing 6 than with Jack……then Hopoate dropped the easy inside ball from Kris and it all went to crap.