Jack Wighton to join South Sydney Rabbitohs in 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Raiders offer Jack Wighton a four year $4.4 million deal

Post by Billy Walker »

The only smart thing I see about this offer is that it allows us to cut ties with him before his 35th birthday. His 25th and 30th haven’t been swell. $4.1m over 4 years - we’ve basically offered him to be the face of hate for all failures over the next 4 years.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

So what was he due to earn in 24 if he decided to stay on with his player option ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I reckon there are other clubs tempted to match the offer that have no intention of signing Jack but are curious to see just how stupid we are.

“Dolphins have matched - quick make it $5.7 over 5 years”
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote: April 4, 2023, 10:18 pm
Beejay wrote: April 4, 2023, 9:58 pm It’s big money, but I might be going against the grain here; I think his best footy is still in front of him.
I just can't see it. He's a big, physical player, but has nothing like the skills to compensate for the body slowing down in his 30s.
Agreed
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Just when I think it can’t get more depressing to support this club, they reach new levels of ineptitude.

On the plus side he’s the most well-paid airhead I know
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

RedRaider wrote: April 5, 2023, 12:28 am If we have that sort of money for a 5/8 I wonder why we didn't go after Munster with it when he was on the market.
Munster turned down $5.6mill pa over 4 years from the Dolphins, to take a pay cut for $4mill over 4 years to stay at the Storm.

If he wasn’t going to his home state of sunny QLD to be coached by Wayne for an extra $1.6mill, he certainly wasn’t coming to chilly Canberra to be coached by Ricky for only $1.1mill pa.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

dubby wrote: April 5, 2023, 8:03 am
T_R wrote: April 4, 2023, 10:18 pm
Beejay wrote: April 4, 2023, 9:58 pm It’s big money, but I might be going against the grain here; I think his best footy is still in front of him.
I just can't see it. He's a big, physical player, but has nothing like the skills to compensate for the body slowing down in his 30s.
Agreed
It really depends on the athlete. The sports science and conditioning these days is so good athletes can remain in peak physical condition well into their 30s. Look at athletes like Federer, Williams, Ronaldo etc, still at the top of their game even into their late 30s. Jack is lucky in the sense he has largely remained injury free for most of his career.

Of course none of the above matters if the motivation isn't there. But if Jack wants to remain a top footballer and puts in the effort I'm sure we will get value out of a four year contract.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-PJ- wrote:Jack gets paid..
Well he's on the record for saying he wants to win a premiership. If it was about the money they usually say that this is their last contract and they want to set themselves (and family) up for their future. But I'm guessing he'll take the money and not the offer from a real premiership contender.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Lol at all those who said Wighton was dumb for opting out. This deal smashes that myth - common sense operating from his manager. He wouldn't have got that $1mil at 34 if he opted in and waited another year.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Re: 2023 Rd 6 v Broncos: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by radicalraider »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wayne Bennett ups ante for Jack Wighton as $2 million war chest revealed

Wayne Bennett has formally contacted Wighton’s management to set up a meeting with the Raiders star in his quest to deliver a marquee player to the Dolphins.

Bennett has had preliminary talks with Wighton’s management with a view to setting up a formal meeting in the coming weeks before the former Dally M Medallist makes a definitive call on his future next month. The Raiders have tabled a revised $4.4 million package to Wighton but Bennett said he is open to matching Canberra’s latest offer, with the Dolphins possessing a $2 million salary-cap war chest.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... bb9cc3040d
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

-PJ- wrote: April 5, 2023, 6:34 am So what was he due to earn in 24 if he decided to stay on with his player option ?
Was 900k or something like that? As mentioned earlier 1.1 would be inline with a salary cap correction. If we had money to go after players before (eg fifita) then we should still have that available.
4 years is too long at that price. I wonder if the last 1-2 are player or club options.
Choc Magic
Peter Jackson

Post by Choc Magic »

FROG wrote: April 5, 2023, 6:29 am Right now I'm inclined to cancel my 4 memberships with the club as I'm happy to support them financially, but not so they can recklessly dish it out to grossly underperforming players
Your membership money doesn't contribute to the salary cap... it contributes to the gym equipment that Papali'i and Tapine don't use.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Wighton is reminding me of Blake Ferguson when he said he came to win a comp too.. we know how that ended..
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Choc Magic wrote: April 5, 2023, 11:25 am
FROG wrote: April 5, 2023, 6:29 am Right now I'm inclined to cancel my 4 memberships with the club as I'm happy to support them financially, but not so they can recklessly dish it out to grossly underperforming players
Your membership money doesn't contribute to the salary cap... it contributes to the gym equipment that Papali'i and Tapine don't use.
:roflmao I laughed hard at this!
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

We don't know how the contract will be structured.
It may scale down over the last 2 years , remembering the salary cap is increasing over the next couple of years as well

Moses is reported getting 1.25m.

If we let Jack go , what will it cost us to get an equivalent or better player.
Probably a lot more and more likely not at all.

4 years is a risk but if we don't take that risk then what are we left with?
Choc Magic
Peter Jackson

Post by Choc Magic »

Raiders Chief Negotiator: "Is this still available..?"
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: April 5, 2023, 12:39 pm We don't know how the contract will be structured.
It may scale down over the last 2 years , remembering the salary cap is increasing over the next couple of years as well

Clubs learnt pretty quickly front loaded contracts didn’t work
No one wants to take a pay cut year after year. Players on front loaded deals simply got pissed off and agitated for new deals because their pay went down despite performance being the same or better

Contracts scale up typically have stepped increases built in the structure
So a 3 year 1.5m deal isn’t usually a flat $500, or a 700k year 1 and 400k year 2-3

It’ll more look something like:
450k - 500k - 550k
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: April 5, 2023, 10:48 am Wayne Bennett ups ante for Jack Wighton as $2 million war chest revealed

Wayne Bennett has formally contacted Wighton’s management to set up a meeting with the Raiders star in his quest to deliver a marquee player to the Dolphins.

Bennett has had preliminary talks with Wighton’s management with a view to setting up a formal meeting in the coming weeks before the former Dally M Medallist makes a definitive call on his future next month. The Raiders have tabled a revised $4.4 million package to Wighton but Bennett said he is open to matching Canberra’s latest offer, with the Dolphins possessing a $2 million salary-cap war chest.

I hope they do match it or go above and Jack takes their offer. Whatever the case, I certainly hope we don't make a new offer that's higher than the current one if Dolphins do come up with a similar deal. Four years at $4.4 mil total is way too much for a 30 year old.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Botman wrote: April 5, 2023, 1:53 pm
LimeGreenMachine wrote: April 5, 2023, 12:39 pm We don't know how the contract will be structured.

No one wants to take a pay cut year after year. Players on front loaded deals simply got pissed off and agitated for new deals because their pay went down despite performance being the same or better

So a 3 year 1.5m deal isn’t usually a flat $500, or a 700k year 1 and 400k year 2-3

450k - 500k - 550k
Fair point , I wonder if this could be different due to the fact the last year of the contract will be his last year in the game.
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Blogger »

At least if he walks away we have driven the price up elsewhere.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

450k - 500k - 550k
Yeah, hoog point, I was about to say something very similar. Absolutely nobody, whether they're a football player, coal quality expert, gardener or helmet clipper for the ACT ambulence service, nobody ever wants to take a pay-cut moving forward. You either want your salary to be good and remain static, or (preferably) it increases with time.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

And you 'eard me... hoog point.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

The Nickman wrote: April 5, 2023, 3:08 pm

450k - 500k - 550k
Yeah, hoog point, I was about to say something very similar. Absolutely nobody, whether they're a football player, coal quality expert, gardener or helmet clipper for the ACT ambulence service, nobody ever wants to take a pay-cut moving forward. You either want your salary to be good and remain static, or (preferably) it increases with time.
Nobody wants to. But this is the sporting business. People generally take pay cuts when they transition from playing to coaching, for instance. And it's not uncommon for players to take a pay cut at the end of their careers in any sport, including the NRL.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

450k - 500k - 550k
Your bolded statement is true of younger players but I don't think it applies in this case because Jack will have decreasing leverage as the deal progresses. We're paying him for four years because we really need him for two years and need to outbid other clubs. He won't be in a strong bargaining position midway through this contract, so the club won't be compelled to respond if he agitates for a pay rise.

I think clubs learned more that back-ended contracts don't work. That's how Manly etc. got hamstrung for years.

So I'd love for the club to frontend load Jack but seriously doubt they did.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Fingers crossed the sea donkeys and coach side mouth convince Jack to leave…
I’m sure Paul **** will spin it positively in favour of his beloved buddy Ricky..
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

greeneyed wrote:Wayne Bennett ups ante for Jack Wighton as $2 million war chest revealed

This is insane, I have a few thoughts…..

$1.1 million is the absolute max I’d be paying for Wighton, I’d be ok at that price but anything more based on his last couple of seasons is crazy.

If the Dolphin’s had this war chest, why didn’t they throw it at Moses? A genuine half that can game manage, has a short and long kicking game and kicks goals…..

Where will the Dolphins plays Jack? All the talk is the Dolphins have O’Sullivan, Katoa, Milford and Nikorima to play in the halves. That makes Jack a $1million per year centre

This is going to drag on and from that article he isn’t making a decision until next month? I hope we can start winning a few games, I’d like to read about something other than this contract saga.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The risks and reward for Canberra Raiders with Jack Wighton contract offer

If the movie Moneyball taught us anything, it's that it's important to look past the dollar amount and instead at the value, and squeeze that for all it's worth. So if the reported value the Canberra Raiders have offered to Jack Wighton in his next contract is correct, the question Green Machine fans must ask is if he's worth it.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

John Bateman open to Jack Wighton reunion at Wests Tigers

John Bateman has rolled out the red carpet to Jack Wighton, relishing the prospect of linking with his former Canberra teammate at the Wests Tigers.

“He’s a very good player who’s gone on to play for NSW and won the World Cup last year,” Bateman said. “He’s a great bloke and if he wants to come here, he can feel free to come here. The better players – you’d take them in your squad. Jack’s 30 years old now so this will probably be the biggest (decision) in his career.”

Read more: https://canberraweekly.com.au/john-bate ... ts-tigers/
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The ego on Bateman right…..
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

People ask who I'd target in his place. How about throwing this money at joey manu after his contract expires at the roosters in 24. He is reported to be on about half that amount. Surely he has a price where he considers the move and surely 1.1m and a chance at a spine position gets you into a conversation
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

FROG wrote: April 5, 2023, 11:33 pm People ask who I'd target in his place. How about throwing this money at joey manu after his contract expires at the roosters in 24. He is reported to be on about half that amount. Surely he has a price where he considers the move and surely 1.1m and a chance at a spine position gets you into a conversation
Good call.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

FROG wrote: April 5, 2023, 11:33 pm People ask who I'd target in his place. How about throwing this money at joey manu after his contract expires at the roosters in 24. He is reported to be on about half that amount. Surely he has a price where he considers the move and surely 1.1m and a chance at a spine position gets you into a conversation
I couldn't believe they were able to hold him last time his contract was up. Warriors went hard as I recall? Just feels like the kind of guy who would move the needle for so many clubs across the NRL - including ours - was shocked someone didn't splash enough cash to lure him away from Bondi, Roosters sombrero jokes not withstanding. Absolute stud, and still only 26.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote:And you 'eard me... hoog point.
.Image

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Green Machine
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by Green Machine »

We have to spend what, 90/95% of our salary? We may as well give it to Jack because no one else nearly worth a mil are coming here.
2011 Bronze Member - #8066
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Azza wrote: April 5, 2023, 8:17 am Just when I think it can’t get more depressing to support this club, they reach new levels of ineptitude.

On the plus side he’s the most well-paid airhead I know
Luke Brooks??
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.