All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Jack Wighton considers retirement from representative football

Post by radicalraider »

Canberra Raiders star Jack Wighton considers quitting representative football

Jack Wighton is considering dropping another bombshell with the Canberra Raiders star contemplating making himself unavailable for NSW. Several sources have confirmed that Wighton has been mulling over his representative future which could lead to him walking away from higher honours permanently. It is understood the Blues hierarchy are aware of Wighton’s potential unavailability as they ramp up plans for their opening State of Origin team.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 4d5f902a52

Origin legend stunned as Wighton set to make shock rep footy call: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... fc2116beb9
Rick
Steve Walters

Re: 2023 Rd 7 v Dragons: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Rick »

Weird. Anyone got access to the article?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Probably Jack driving up his contract value. Look I will be likely be available during the rep games. That should be worth another $100k a season for a club. Doesn’t stop him playing though.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I could understand Jack being unhappy with Fittler. He was MOTM in Game 1 last year, then missed Game 2 due to Covid and was not selected in the 17 for Game 3. That would have hurt.

Also Origin footy is as hard as it gets, so he may be considering his longevity in the game. I am a Blues supporter, but I can't recall a Qld player ever making themselves unavailable for Origin, as people like Jamie Lyon did and now possibly Jack. Happy to be corrected if that's not right.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Still gets paid.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Pretty sure Jason Smith turned down QLD when selected, when he was playing for us
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
jimmy82
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

princess go to dolphins please
FROG
Brett Mullins

Re: Raiders offer Jack Wighton a four year $4.4 million deal

Post by FROG »

I agree. I hope he goes somewhere else too. We win more games without him for a reason and it ain't because frawley is some superstar. He was lucky to be on 800k. No way we should offer him a cent more
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

RedRaider wrote: Also Origin footy is as hard as it gets, so he may be considering his longevity in the game. I am a Blues supporter, but I can't recall a Qld player ever making themselves unavailable for Origin, as people like Jamie Lyon did and now possibly Jack. Happy to be corrected if that's not right.
Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk both retired from rep footy before finishing at club level.

Australia halfback Cooper Cronk announces shock representative retirement: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/austra ... 50a2398a97

Smith: Why I'm retiring from rep football: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/15/cam ... mediately/
Last edited by greeneyed on April 15, 2023, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: It is a site requirement to include an indication of the contents of a link, minimum a headline.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Cam Smith killed Qld with a late pull out on Kevvy

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Choc Magic
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Choc Magic »

The timing of this origin snub is suss as. Not a certainty to be selected, so makes himself 'unavailable'. Retaining the 'Origin star value' on potential contracts.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk

NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Maybe he just doesn't want to go into camp just to ride the bench as 18th man. It would definitely help in his sales pitch to the Dolphins though.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

gangrenous wrote: April 15, 2023, 8:06 pm
RedRaider wrote: Also Origin footy is as hard as it gets, so he may be considering his longevity in the game. I am a Blues supporter, but I can't recall a Qld player ever making themselves unavailable for Origin, as people like Jamie Lyon did and now possibly Jack. Happy to be corrected if that's not right.
Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk both retired from rep footy before finishing at club level.

Australia halfback Cooper Cronk announces shock representative retirement: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/austra ... 50a2398a97

Smith: Why I'm retiring from rep football: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/15/cam ... mediately/
Thanks Gangers.
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Was this a claws in his 4 yr contract. Has he agreed to terms
greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders five eighth Jack Wighton retires from representative football

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders five eighth Jack Wighton retires from representative football

Canberra Raiders star Jack Wighton has retired from representative football, ruling himself out of Origin contention in a massive blow to the NSW Blues. His decision was confirmed on Monday morning, just six weeks before the Origin opener on May 31.

“Jack spoke to Freddy and has told him of his disappointing decision to retire from representative football,” NSW selector and assistant Greg Alexander said. “He has said that he wants to focus on family and club footy. It’s a blow for us. He has been an important part of our squad for the last five years and would have been in the mix again. We’ve loved having Jack in camp and in the team.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state- ... 7aef7ceb7f

Jack Wighton has informed NSW coach Brad Fittler that he has retired from representative football, just six weeks out from the first game of the State of Origin series: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/blues- ... 5d101.html

Canberra Raiders star Jack Wighton retires from NSW Blues and State of Origin: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Odd timing to me. Comes across as less marquee if retires from rep footy now
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Lube mobil will come to you, that's Furdeen Firdy Firdy Two.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 17, 2023, 11:28 am Odd timing to me. Comes across as less marquee if retires from rep footy now
He also looks at his best in rep football. I suppose he already knows the two teams driving his price up though and they're both thirsty.
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Coz Wayne said so if he wants the 5 yr 5 million $ deal.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders five eighth Jack Wighton retires from representative football

Post by greeneyed »

Hearing that the reasoning is that he wants to focus on winning a premiership.

This is speculation only, but it sounds an awful lot like Wayne Bennett is in his ear.
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Re: Canberra Raiders five eighth Jack Wighton retires from representative football

Post by deanoman »

Wighton in his career has won a Clive churchil, Dally M, a World Cup and a few origins series. The only thing he hasn’t achieved is a grand final win.

It makes perfect sense to me this decision. Besides making himself more valuable to which ever club picks him up, he puts his team in the best chance of playing finals footy and winning a GF.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 17, 2023, 11:28 am Odd timing to me. Comes across as less marquee if retires from rep footy now
Trying to emulate Cooper Cronk. Only one real flaw in that approach. Well maybe more than one.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

While we're at it I'd also like to take this opportunity to declare myself unavailable for NSW or the Kangaroos.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

nachopants wrote: April 17, 2023, 12:07 pm While we're at it I'd also like to take this opportunity to declare myself unavailable for NSW or the Kangaroos.
Nek minnit. Qld announce nachopants as their latest debutant.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

I don't get it. Does anyone really think Jack's rep duties are what's stood between him and a premiership? I could've sworn he played all three games in 2019 when he had his best club year and made the GF.

I could understand Turbo doing this because of his injury record but I can't see how it helps Jack personally other than as a potential selling point to a suitor. But I think his people should be telling him to be wary of any club who wants him to give up rep footy. Doesn't seem like they've got Jack's best interests at heart.

And also we're talking the Dolphins here. Jack not playing a couple of games of Origin - noting he probably wouldn't have got selected for Game One - isn't going to make a difference to their premiership chances.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Considering he'll likely be leaving for a pay cut at the Dolphins compared to what we offered him, turning down potential match payments for Origin and Test matches will cost him maybe more than $100K per year. Crazy.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote:Hearing that the reasoning is that he wants to focus on winning a premiership.

This is speculation only, but it sounds an awful lot like Wayne Bennett is in his ear.
That's exactly what it sounds like.

Wayne Bennett is the idiot football whisperer.

Wayne Bennett has the ability to tell a player what Wayne Bennett wants, but make the player believe that it is actually what the player wants.

I don't care if Wighton stays or goes. In fact, it's absolutely time Stuart moves on from Jack Wighton in the halves. What I can't cop is some sort of Bull argument that the Dolphins will help Wighton achieve his goals of winning a premiership, nor do I believe that Bennett would advise Wighton the same way if he was Jack's origin coach.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Can he retire from 5/8 too?
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

Just some more comments regarding Jack ruling himself out of State of Origin

Jack Wighton pulls pin on Origin in huge Blues blow: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/jack- ... e727fa7997
Green Hornet
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine / Josh Papalli

Post by Green Hornet »

Isn't Bennett only coaching for 2 years before handing the reins to Kristian Wolf?

Dolphins aren't winning the comp next year, let's be honest and this will leave him with an inexperience NRL coach for the remainder of his contract.

If he goes, then so be it.

The delayed annoucement after offering him the Raiders deal smells like he is going to move as he will get his money either way from the Raiders or Dolphins.

The retirement from rep football is a strange one and can't see the logic behind it with at least 4 years left in the game.

If you are wanting the million dollars, then you should be winning a premiership for your team not relying on a team to be winning it for you.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Something isn't well here.

I've been ridiculously vocal about how woeful I think Jack has been.

And whether he goes or stays is pretty meh in terms of his well being.

To play like he did yesterday, to have this contract saga, to announce retiring from rep football - something's up.

I don't know what it is, but as a person - I hope he's okay.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Kudos charch on Benny being the idiot footballer whisperer

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Could be Matt Rose’s advice. Being seemingly available for club through the origin period makes him a better proposition for the clubs bidding for him. Sign a contract and announce a rep footy comeback….
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

nachopants wrote: April 17, 2023, 12:07 pm While we're at it I'd also like to take this opportunity to declare myself unavailable for NSW or the Kangaroos.
And thus my Tomb should be inscrib'd above,
Here the forsaken Virgin rests from love.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
jimmy82
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

Billy Walker wrote: April 17, 2023, 1:48 pm Could be Matt Rose’s advice. Being seemingly available for club through the origin period makes him a better proposition for the clubs bidding for him. Sign a contract and announce a rep footy comeback….
So you’re going to turn down Nathan Cleary because he plays origin? Or pay him less because he misses 3 games.
It sounds silly when you read it doesn’t it