Raiders player signing speculation 2023

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2023

Post by kiwi raider »

Euan Aitken apparently also available, another with Versatility who could do a job but would have to be at the right price
Choc Magic
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Choc Magic »

Aitken doesn't pass the ball, he'd fit into Rickys plan.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I don't mind Tuilagi but he's had a poor year

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Choc Magic wrote: September 7, 2023, 2:52 pm Aitken doesn't pass the ball, he'd fit into Rickys plan.
:clap:
:roflmao
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Tualagi definitely has thr highest ceiling. He was poached from the Tigers by Des Hasler. He has a lot of talent. He's definitely a good pick up if we could get him even if it just means depth. Guessing we could get him cheap too.
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

The Daily Telegraph says we are very keen on Koloamatagi but also mentions:

The Raiders have also been linked with North Queensland back rower Luciano Leilua and are among several clubs keeping an eye on developments with young Cowboys back rower Kulikefu Finefeuiaki, who has been one of the finds of the season.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... cef93d17cf
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Bluesbrother wrote: September 7, 2023, 5:27 pm Tualagi definitely has thr highest ceiling. He was poached from the Tigers by Des Hasler. He has a lot of talent. He's definitely a good pick up if we could get him even if it just means depth. Guessing we could get him cheap too.
Manly benched him and dropped him before the end of the yr. Then had to bring him back because of injuries.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Are they "Raiders taxes"?
Or
Are we genuinely in the hunt?
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Matt wrote: September 7, 2023, 6:56 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: September 7, 2023, 5:27 pm Tualagi definitely has thr highest ceiling. He was poached from the Tigers by Des Hasler. He has a lot of talent. He's definitely a good pick up if we could get him even if it just means depth. Guessing we could get him cheap too.
Manly benched him and dropped him before the end of the yr. Then had to bring him back because of injuries.
Playing under Seibold in the basket case that is Manly I wouldn't be reading too much into this season. Fact is, he is a monster, got talent and we could probably land him cheap. Worth a punt even if he plays NSW Cup and takes Clay Webb's spot in the squad.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

UncleDrew wrote: September 7, 2023, 6:09 pm The Daily Telegraph says we are very keen on Koloamatagi but also mentions:

The Raiders have also been linked with North Queensland back rower Luciano Leilua and are among several clubs keeping an eye on developments with young Cowboys back rower Kulikefu Finefeuiaki, who has been one of the finds of the season.

Leilua's manager linking him to the Raiders I suspect. Seems to be past his peak already. Kulikefu Finefeuiaki is interesting.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: September 7, 2023, 9:05 pm
UncleDrew wrote: September 7, 2023, 6:09 pm The Daily Telegraph says we are very keen on Koloamatagi but also mentions:

Leilua's manager linking him to the Raiders I suspect. Seems to be past his peak already. Kulikefu Finefeuiaki is interesting.
LL is only 27 GE. I wouldn't write him off yet.

Leilua isnt quiet as flamboyent as his brother, but does have the ability to do it himself. He has played left edge for Cows though. That said, both he and Huddo have played right side previously, so might be ok.

Finefeuiaki needs a half to set him up. He has played right edge, mostly off the pine, for Cows this yr. Outside Fog he might be ok, but doesn't Strange prefer the right too (Fog can play left)? I wouldn't want 2 rookies next to each other defensively and Strange isn't really the style of half Finefeuiaki needs.

As far as contracts, we got coin.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I have it on pretty good authority that the club enquired about Luciano as a mid year transfer when we needed an edge.
So yeah im not surprised they're sniffing around him and the cowboys who have surplus at the position

It does again go to show that Stuart does at least seem to understand he made grave mistake with his edge forward situation this year.
It'd be a bold bet but man i'd sign Finefeuiaki tomorrow and run with Young, Finefeuiaki and CHN from the bench as our middle/edge tweener and EW taking up Croker's role as NSW Cup captain and mentor as we see out his final days.

Unless EW has a time turner on hand, in which case, if we can get 2019 EW back, he can stay in FG. Otherwise, it's time to put him out to pasture as we did with Croker in his final days.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Someone will take the money soon....Surely
greeneyed
Don Furner

Raiders player signing speculation 2023

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote:I have it on pretty good authority that the club enquired about Luciano as a mid year transfer when we needed an edge.
So yeah im not surprised they're sniffing around him and the cowboys who have surplus at the position

It does again go to show that Stuart does at least seem to understand he made grave mistake with his edge forward situation this year.
It'd be a bold bet but man i'd sign Finefeuiaki tomorrow and run with Young, Finefeuiaki and CHN from the bench as our middle/edge tweener and EW taking up Croker's role as NSW Cup captain and mentor as we see out his final days.

Unless EW has a time turner on hand, in which case, if we can get 2019 EW back, he can stay in FG. Otherwise, it's time to put him out to pasture as we did with Croker in his final days.
My guess is we will see Whitehead as a first choice second rower until the end of next year. I doubt he will go around again in 2025. I think the club is preparing for life after Whitehead, but will be surprised if he’s playing NSW Cup next year, or being regularly “rested”.

I’ll admit I’m surprised about Leilua.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Raiders have 26 signed for next year. Surely Puru will take up 1 of those remaining positions in the top 30, leaving 3 additional players to make up the top 30.

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: September 7, 2023, 9:50 pm
Botman wrote:I have it on pretty good authority that the club enquired about Luciano as a mid year transfer when we needed an edge.

My guess is we will see Whitehead as a first choice second rower until the end of next year. I doubt he will go around again in 2025. I think the club is preparing for life after Whitehead, but will be surprised if he’s playing NSW Cup next year, or being regularly “rested”.

I’ll admit I’m surprised about Leilua.
No i agree... EW aint going anywhere until he retires at the end of next year... and he'll continue to hurt our football team as a result.
It is what it is.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

The impression I got from a recent interview is that he doesn't see himself as an 80 minute player anymore but felt compelled to do so once CHN had his episode. So I think he'll play first grade, but will spend time on the pine
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

It would be a no to Luciano for me. Talent yes, work rate and involvement no. He just tunes out too often.

If there is no one local willing to sign, then look to UK, Pacific Islands, PNG or NZ for some up and comers who want opportunity.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

FROG wrote: September 7, 2023, 11:29 pm The impression I got from a recent interview is that he doesn't see himself as an 80 minute player anymore but felt compelled to do so once CHN had his episode. So I think he'll play first grade, but will spend time on the pine
If we accept he's in the team regardless, which i think it is the case, then yeah that's sort of how it HAS to happen
However it shakes out he's got to be playing very limited minutes unless injury forces the issue
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Leilua isn't perfect but he's a big strong tackle breaking second rower who regularly makes metres, If he's available he's a far better option than pretty much any other off contract second rower
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’d be excited to once again have a Leilua in our squad.

it’s not a coincidence that our attack has been ordinary whilst Leilualess.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

New age Ricky is focused on players who do the 1%ers, so I’m not sure he is a fit.

This 1%ers theory ignores the fact the other 99% of the skill set may not be suited. See Kris at Fullback, Hoppa at wing for 20 games, Toots, Whitehead, Saulo, Levi re-signing…
Choc Magic
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Choc Magic »

yeah but with a whole team of 1%ers, we are only giving up an 83% line each match... we can grind that out
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

We are in a _need_ situation for edges where we are not sitting pretty or even with a half competent backup so we can look for best ever options.

I'd take Leilua for sure. There's nothing too concerning in his defensive output. Edge is a position where you see the odd whiff and it'll look awful at times as they misread a play. But overall his stats aren't bad for defence, more mid pack for linebreaks. Actually good for try causes. Errors again mid pack. Tackle efficency at 90% again not quite elite but also not bad at all.

Plenty to work with in his attack. If you want a guy to share minutes with Whitehead then LL in 25 minute stints could be quite a good choice among what's left.

I'd take a punt on any of the Cowboys edges actually. At different entry prices, for sure.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Leilualess :lol:

Nice one Jules..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote:I was going to say the same... and the BJ relationship soured very quickly and got ugly. Likely because he put faith in a guy and it cost him a premiership and he might never get another shot at one.

Also for all of Rapana's crazy plays, they're not typically "flair" plays
His crazy plays are relentlessness and reckless abandonment for his own safety... it's not like Rapana kicks for himself, or takes on a winger on the outside and backs his pace or what have you.. those guile/flair plays. Rapana is a hard carry, relentless lunatic, and he's always been a bleed green/culture guy. He plays what he sees but what Rapana sees is that he's harder and tougher than the bloke in front of him. Very much a Stuart player and nothing like Savage in terms of his style
Thanks bot, you basically just made my point.

Rapana absolutely had/has flair and is clearly given the green light to play what's in front of him.

It's also all the other stuff he brings that sees him as the first player named each week.

Savage needs to be more consistently involved in the tough stuff, because that's what successful First Graders do. He definitely has the talent.

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Totally agree with Bot, Rapana is an out and out Sticky type player. Almost the quintessential Ricky player. He brings the core Ricky traits to the table, and anything else he does is peripheral and yeah an added bonus, including the flair plays
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 8, 2023, 2:29 pm
Botman wrote:I was going to say the same... and the BJ relationship soured very quickly and got ugly. Likely because he put faith in a guy and it cost him a premiership and he might never get another shot at one.

His crazy plays are relentlessness and reckless abandonment for his own safety... it's not like Rapana kicks for himself, or takes on a winger on the outside and backs his pace or what have you.. those guile/flair plays. Rapana is a hard carry, relentless lunatic, and he's always been a bleed green/culture guy. He plays what he sees but what Rapana sees is that he's harder and tougher than the bloke in front of him. Very much a Stuart player and nothing like Savage in terms of his style

Rapana absolutely had/has flair and is clearly given the green light to play what's in front of him.

It's also all the other stuff he brings that sees him as the first player named each week.

Savage needs to be more consistently involved in the tough stuff, because that's what successful First Graders do. He definitely has the talent.
This has been argued and rebutted already though, hasn't it? Some of the most influential and high flying players, Ponga, Walsh, Drinkwater, Paps, Keary and others, are not tough stuff players. Ok yes their attack is so good that they just can't afford to be left out. I think that's what Savage should aim for, rather than trying to up the tough stuff. I think his carries are fairly good anyway. Or maybe he should do a half half, be a half Rapana, half flair player. I suspect it'll be another club's issue soon enough anyway
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

BadnMean wrote: September 8, 2023, 11:24 am We are in a _need_ situation for edges where we are not sitting pretty or even with a half competent backup so we can look for best ever options.

I'd take Leilua for sure. There's nothing too concerning in his defensive output. Edge is a position where you see the odd whiff and it'll look awful at times as they misread a play. But overall his stats aren't bad for defence, more mid pack for linebreaks. Actually good for try causes. Errors again mid pack. Tackle efficency at 90% again not quite elite but also not bad at all.

Plenty to work with in his attack. If you want a guy to share minutes with Whitehead then LL in 25 minute stints could be quite a good choice among what's left.

I'd take a punt on any of the Cowboys edges actually. At different entry prices, for sure.
Agree with all that.

I think Luciano is suffering from his big brother’s legacy a bit in some of these reviews.

Just last week, Payten tore his team’s attitudes to shreds after their loss to the Panthers EXCEPT for Luciano who he said was the only one of his players having a crack. And he was too. He was going hard at both ends and trying to gain his team some momentum in the face of the relentless Panthers juggernaut.

He’s a really good player who has attacking flair but some genuine ticker too and we’d be insane not to sign him if we can.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Sid wrote: September 7, 2023, 9:51 pm Raiders have 26 signed for next year. Surely Puru will take up 1 of those remaining positions in the top 30, leaving 3 additional players to make up the top 30.

It's 27, Puru would be 28.

1. Papa
2. Taps
3. Horse
4. Guler
5. Saulo
6. Mooney
7. Hola
8. Ata
9. Whitehead
10. Huddo
11. CHN#
12. Cotric
13. Rapa
14. Hoppa
15. Kris
16. Timoko
17. Savage
18. Schiller
19. HSS
20. Morkos (upgraded already for '24)
21. Stewart (upgraded already for '24)
22. Strange (upgraded already for '24)
23. Fogarty
24. Woolford
25. Starlo
26. Levi
27. Simi Sasagi (new recruit)
28.?Hohepa Puru*?
29. ?Sanders?
30. ?Edge TBA?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Thanks Seif. I think you missed the point entirely.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 8, 2023, 2:43 pm

This has been argued and rebutted already though, hasn't it? Some of the most influential and high flying players, Ponga, Walsh, Drinkwater, Paps, Keary and others, are not tough stuff players. Ok yes their attack is so good that they just can't afford to be left out. I think that's what Savage should aim for, rather than trying to up the tough stuff. I think his carries are fairly good anyway. Or maybe he should do a half half, be a half Rapana, half flair player. I suspect it'll be another club's issue soon enough anyway
Bolded: yes.

Savage's carries? As you said, fine. Good like Hoppa or Rapa? Not yet. Ok like Schiller, Cotric, yeah probably.

Is his purpose grunt carries? No. Are there other players who can do grunt carries? Yes. Are there other players who can do Savage things? Not even close.

But yeah it's 27 rounds in and a few tough yards should fix it! Where's my clapper emoji?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Canberra Milk wrote:

I'm not saying Savage has to be a hard carry player, I'm saying he also needs to get involved in the one percenters and do his job in defence.

What I'm reading from many posters though is that they think the likes of Papenhuyzen, Ponga and Keary are flair players and don't display the other stuff required at NRL level. I just fundamentally disagree with that. Great players are great because they do the job in all aspects of the game, not just one or two.

I would also like to see Savage in the team, but there are a few signs there that he still has work to do. It's not like opposition coaches are knocking down his door for an early release.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote:

Thanks Seif. I think you missed the point entirely.
Nope, don't think so. I appreciate you were disagreeing with what I was saying and indicated Rapa is one type of player and Savage is another.

I'm saying Savage needs to show a few things that Rapana does to etch out a decent first grade career, and you happened to describe what some of those things are.

Until then, I fear Savage won't get a start at any club and I suggest that's why he hasn't been inundated with contract offers from rival clubs.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

There are an endless supply of examples of players won’t don’t do things anything close to what Rapana does and they are valuable, useful and successful footballers. There many different shapes, sizes and styles of player in this game, of which Rapana is one and Savage is entirely another

He doesn’t need to play like Rapana to be successful. He needs to play his game to his strengths as a footballer.

Where you are correct is this coach does not IMO want players of Savage’s style. He wants them in Rapana’s style
And to that point if savage wants a future here he’s going to likely have to play a style that he isn’t suited to and thus will likely not succeed

The fact the coach has so few moulds of players he’s wanting to work with is an indictment on him, not the talent who don’t fit his mould in my view