Zac Hosking signs with the Raiders on three year deal from 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Penrith Panthers second rower Zac Hosking tours Canberra Raiders HQ ahead of potential move

Post by dubby »

Cronk never stood onside a day in his life!
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Penrith Panthers second rower Zac Hosking tours Canberra Raiders HQ ahead of potential move

Post by Northern Raider »

There's a lot of Cooper Cronk debate going on in the Zac Hosking thread. Couldn't be bothered reading it all. Can someone please paraphrase the points being made?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Penrith Panthers second rower Zac Hosking tours Canberra Raiders HQ ahead of potential move

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote:There's a lot of Cooper Cronk debate going on in the Zac Hosking thread. Couldn't be bothered reading it all. Can someone please paraphrase the points being made?
Proposition 1: Non halfback Cooper Cronk was transformed into a top line halfback through great coaching from Craig Bellamy and Matthew Johns and hard work from Cooper.

Proposition 2: Cooper Cronk was already a top line junior and rugby league talent before joining the Storm and. Craig Bellamy is overrated and had little to do with Cronk becoming a top halfback.

The correct answer is 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: December 22, 2023, 8:05 am
Northern Raider wrote:There's a lot of Cooper Cronk debate going on in the Zac Hosking thread. Couldn't be bothered reading it all. Can someone please paraphrase the points being made?
Proposition 1: Non halfback Cooper Cronk was transformed into a top line halfback through great coaching from Craig Bellamy and Matthew Johns and hard work from Cooper.

Proposition 2: Cooper Cronk was already a top line junior and rugby league talent before joining the Storm and. Craig Bellamy is overrated and had little to do with Cronk becoming a top halfback.

The correct answer is 1.

Thanks, although I feel the truth lay somewhere in between.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:

The correct answer is 1.

Greeneyed you should practice what you preach about Strawmen and misrepresentation.
Your Proposition 2 is nothing like what I was saying.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: December 21, 2023, 5:01 pm
Botman wrote:There is always an underlying level of talent with NRL players and the elite ones in particular, the majority of them are the very best of their age brackets right through their life. So yeah, Cronk wasnt some beer bum in the shower with no talent. The guy got where he got because he was very talented.

But absolutely no one had that guy pegged as a superstar NRL half, let alone being as great as he was. He was a solid utility player, and no one thought he was much more than that based on play.
And he didnt look anything like the player he was stylistically or skill/talent in his first 2 years in NRL. I think you're doing yourself a great disservice acting as if Bellamy didnt have a whole god damn lot to do with the player Cronk became.
I’m not saying that at all. I’m just quoting a mate who had some involvement in both league and union in Brisbane and highlighting that Cronk was a junior state and country representative in the halves and that he thinks the Cronk story has taken on a life of its own.
Put bluntly i think your mate is reaching badly. The story is the story. What happened, happened
Cronk like most young NRL players was a talent guy, you don't get to the NRL without talent, these are the best of the best, and a large % of them have junior rep footy in their background because... well they reason they've made it all the way to the NRL is because they were very talented junior footballers.
And 99% of those guys don't make... of the 1% that do, 99% of that group are not as good as Cooper Cronk ended up being. And critically, Cooper Cronk spent the first 2 years of his career looking very much like the other 99%... he was a league average footballer, bench utility that was not a game changing footballer, even when given opportunities in the starting side. You couldnt find me a soul alive who was watching this kid come off the bench and not move the needle in 2004-2005 who would have said he this was a superstar in the making. Because he wasn't, his trajectory was that of a 50-100 game journeyman.

What changed was he was given the role to be the teams primary halfback and through excellent coaching and structure and of course his own hard work and dedication, he developed into one of the best halfbacks to ever lace a boot.
That he played rep football as a junior, like virtually every other NRL footballer alive, doesn't diminish Bellamy's role in that evolution. You wont find a clearer example imo of how influencial a coach can be on a player.
Last edited by Botman on December 22, 2023, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BJ wrote: December 22, 2023, 8:46 am
greeneyed wrote:

The correct answer is 1.

Greeneyed you should practice what you preach about Strawmen and misrepresentation.
Option 1 also misses some key contributors. If that was all then Bellamy and Johns could manufacture an elite half out of any player willing to do the hard work. Cronk needed the talent and football smarts to be as successful as he was.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

...also, what has Cooper Cronk got to do with Zac Hosking?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: December 22, 2023, 9:06 am ...also, what has Cooper Cronk got to do with Zac Hosking?
I have to say this stuff always drives me crazy, especially in the off season! :lol:
It's a forum... it's an open conversation, conversations naturally evolve... do you sit around at the pub with your mates and say "hang on, we were talking about X, why are we now talking about Y? Can we get back on topic please?" :P
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: December 22, 2023, 9:13 am
Northern Raider wrote: December 22, 2023, 9:06 am ...also, what has Cooper Cronk got to do with Zac Hosking?
I have to say this stuff always drives me crazy, especially in the off season! :lol:
It's a forum... it's an open conversation, conversations naturally evolve... do you sit around at the pub with your mates and say "hang on, we were talking about X, why are we now talking about Y? Can we get back on topic please?" :P
Yes but in this situation I was in the conversation at the pub, left for a pee, returned to find a completely different topic being debated and I don't know what caused the shift.
valiant_raider
David Furner

Post by valiant_raider »

Yes, That's exactly what I do!

Probably explains why I don't have any mates :cry: ..... Thanks for bring up that sore point Botman . You have ruined Xmas

Now please back to the topic of signing Cooper Hosking!!!
2005 Golden Boogs Newbie Award Winner
2006 Finites Caption Contest Winner
2006 Golden Boogs Most Improved Poster
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: December 22, 2023, 8:46 am
greeneyed wrote:

The correct answer is 1.

I was making it simple.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Are we signing this bloke or not ?
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Neeeegz wrote: December 22, 2023, 8:43 pm Are we signing this bloke or not ?
I believe Rick is still waiting for the results of Hosking’s blood tests from his medical.

Apparently there’s some uncertainty around how green it can potentially be, and his willingness to bleed it.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Rickmando wrote: December 23, 2023, 10:08 am
I believe Rick is still waiting for the results of Hosking’s blood tests from his medical.

Apparently there’s some uncertainty around how green it can potentially be, and his willingness to bleed it.
Cool, I'd hate to sign a player that didn't bleed the right amount or shade of green
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:
I have to say this stuff always drives me crazy, especially in the off season! Image
It's a forum... it's an open conversation, conversations naturally evolve... do you sit around at the pub with your mates and say "hang on, we were talking about X, why are we now talking about Y? Can we get back on topic please?" Image
Yes but in this situation I was in the conversation at the pub, left for a pee, returned to find a completely different topic being debated and I don't know what caused the shift.
How long since you've had your prostate checked?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Anyone bleeding red is not wanted here.

It must be green.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Clubs shut up shop until mid Jan so dont expect news until then at the earliest.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

NoMan wrote: December 23, 2023, 5:56 pm
Clubs shut up shop until mid Jan so dont expect news until then at the earliest.
Good point
Kermit
John Ferguson

Post by Kermit »

For what it’s worth, the Mole reporting Hosking would only be for 2025.

Interestingly, Luke Garner may also be on the way out :hmmm

Panthers 'struggling' to keep another grand final star as salary cap bites premiers

Rumours began late last year that Hosking is set for an immediate move to the Raiders but Ricky Stuart set the record straight.

"He was just having a look around but there is no suggestion he will be here in 2024," Stuart said. "We are talking to him about 2025 and showed him around - nothing more."

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/mole-news- ... 43c8521994
Golden Boogs Winner 2006 - Best Newcomer
Golden Boogs Winner 2008 - Best Couple

"Nobody's looked better in the Lime Green except maybe Kermit the Frog..." - Reg Reagan.

"this is just Groundhog Day for the Raiders" (Laurie Daley 2/6/12 on 40-0 defeat to Wests)
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

garner is deadset hopeless

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

bonehead wrote: January 4, 2024, 4:06 am garner is deadset hopeless

Agreed
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Why would you have a b grade second rower tour the facilities and look to sign them a year out from when we need them ?
Makes no sense unless he's already blown us off and Ricky's trying to save face with another rejection
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Neeeegz wrote: January 4, 2024, 5:51 pm Why would you have a b grade second rower tour the facilities and look to sign them a year out from when we need them ?
Makes no sense unless he's already blown us off and Ricky's trying to save face with another rejection
Fair logic.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Neeeegz wrote: January 4, 2024, 5:51 pm Why would you have a b grade second rower tour the facilities and look to sign them a year out from when we need them ?
I hope Hosking spreads the word about how good the facilities are in Canberra to some Panther juniors. They can't keep them all
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Penrith think he’s better than Hosking so that’s not a great sign.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

RedRaider wrote: January 4, 2024, 8:26 pm
I hope Hosking spreads the word about how good the facilities are in Canberra to some Panther juniors. They can't keep them all
That would be nice of him red, but we pretty much need a starting edge player by the end of this year when EW retires, we have enough juniors already.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

julian87 wrote: January 5, 2024, 6:35 am

Penrith think he’s better than Hosking so that’s not a great sign.
Didn't Garner spend half they year in reserve grade while Hosking was in Firsts?
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

BadnMean wrote: January 4, 2024, 8:11 pm
Fair logic.
No it isn’t. Are you trying to say that we shouldn’t speak to anyone that isn’t available for the 2024 season????

This place is a clown show sometimes 😂
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Riaan wrote: January 5, 2024, 8:46 am
BadnMean wrote: January 4, 2024, 8:11 pm
Fair logic.
No it isn’t. Are you trying to say that we shouldn’t speak to anyone that isn’t available for the 2024 season????

This place is a clown show sometimes 😂
Yeah this place sometimes 🤣🤣
People like you making up something in your head then saying it's a clown show... put your clown face on and head to your circus.
Dont forget your clown shoes
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

Hosking has started following the club on instagram.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Done deal then.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

:lol:
Out of interest. How do you know this? Is it manually checking? Or is there some other way?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Signed effective immediately.

Zac Hosking signs with the Raiders

The Canberra Raiders can confirm the signing of Penrith Panthers backrower Zac Hosking on a three-year deal effective immediately.

Hosking will join the Raiders until the end of the 2026 season, after playing 25 NRL games for both Brisbane and Penrith.

Hosking appeared in 21 matches in 2023, playing a pivotal role in Penrith's premiership winning season.

The 26-year-old will bring vital experience and depth to the Raiders squad, having played in both the second row and centres.

Raiders NRL Recruitment Manager Joel Carbone said Hosking would be a great addition to the squad and is excited to see him join the club for the remainder of the pre-season.

“The Canberra Raiders are incredibly excited to announce the signing of Zac Hosking. In the brief time we’ve known Zac, and through watching him play in the NRL over the last few seasons, it’s evident that his work ethic, ability, and character will be great additions to our Club," Carbone said.

"He also adds some versatility to our squad having played several positions in his career and we’re delighted to have him on board."

"We’d like to take this opportunity to thank the Penrith Panthers for their professionalism and transparency throughout this process.”

Canberra Raiders media release

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2024/01 ... sNkrvgf__o
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Egg on my face again, hope this turns out to be a great signing