POLL: Strongest 2024 line up: Savage re-vote

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

In which position should Xavier Savage start in 2024?

Fullback
58%
Winger
42%

Total votes: 66

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: POLL: Strongest 2024 line up: Savage re-vote

Post by Botman »

Worth mentioning that there will be people who vote in this year's ACT elections who were not even born yet when Stuart won that GF (with a sqaud largely of Gould's creation mind you) and went to 3 of 4 of those GFs

The 2019 GF and reasonable success around that period is relevant to raise but i dont think anything he did literally 2 decades ago holds much water here in 2024 imo.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Botman wrote: February 9, 2024, 7:55 pm Worth mentioning that there will be people who vote in this year's ACT elections who were not even born yet when Stuart won that GF (with a sqaud largely of Gould's creation mind you) and went to 3 of 4 of those GFs

The 2019 GF and reasonable success around that period is relevant to raise but i dont think anything he did literally 2 decades ago holds much water here in 2024 imo.
Well it quite clearly does. He won the comp then coached that side to another 2 grand finals. He's also coached for over 20 years now at the NRL level with varied success. I think he knows a bit more than some bloke (you) who probably didn't make it past the under 14's and watches a bit of fox league on weekends. Stick hasn't just gone and coached glamour clubs, he's gone to struggling clubs after the Roosters and he has improved them.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dont know what Fox League is but that feels genuinely insulting. :lol:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

You don't get a medal for making finals, it's not a measure of success
Ben & Sev Love Milk
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana and Josh Papali’i

Post by Ben & Sev Love Milk »

I just don’t get all the negativity, we haven’t even had a trial yet and the coach is getting hammered.Just have some optimism lads.
Since Ricky has been in charge I think overall he has done a very good job.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Ben and Sev Love Milk wrote: February 9, 2024, 9:54 pm I just don’t get all the negativity, we haven’t even had a trial yet and the coach is getting hammered.Just have some optimism lads.
So do the people that matter so don’t be put off by the opinions of those that don’t.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Bluesbrother wrote: February 8, 2024, 7:20 pm
julian87 wrote: February 8, 2024, 7:02 pm Rapana, Cotric, Savage, Asomua, Schiller are all far and away better than Hopoate.

Hoppa shouldn’t even be considered unless something drastic happens and only one of them is available. He’s a horrific defender, terrible under the high ball, doesn’t have great hands, would be one of the least agile outside backs in the comp and has an absolute stinker in him most games. He’s good rucking the ball out but that’s the only thing he has under any of the others and all his shortcomings far outweigh that. At this point the club would be best of using him to mentor NSW Cup players in working hard and what it takes to come back from adversity.
Lol far and away better - Schiller? Savage? Asomua? Get off the high horse. Hoppa is 22 years old, had several serious injuries and just came off a season where he averaged 150+ running metres a game and 3rd on our tackle breaks list. It's reasonable to think he has something to offer, not to mention some growth in him at 22 years old.
Did you watch the game tonight champion?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

julian87 wrote: February 17, 2024, 7:52 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: February 8, 2024, 7:20 pm
julian87 wrote: February 8, 2024, 7:02 pm Rapana, Cotric, Savage, Asomua, Schiller are all far and away better than Hopoate.

Hoppa shouldn’t even be considered unless something drastic happens and only one of them is available. He’s a horrific defender, terrible under the high ball, doesn’t have great hands, would be one of the least agile outside backs in the comp and has an absolute stinker in him most games. He’s good rucking the ball out but that’s the only thing he has under any of the others and all his shortcomings far outweigh that. At this point the club would be best of using him to mentor NSW Cup players in working hard and what it takes to come back from adversity.
Lol far and away better - Schiller? Savage? Asomua? Get off the high horse. Hoppa is 22 years old, had several serious injuries and just came off a season where he averaged 150+ running metres a game and 3rd on our tackle breaks list. It's reasonable to think he has something to offer, not to mention some growth in him at 22 years old.
Did you watch the game tonight champion?
I did. He had a shocker and most of the others looked very good.
Raoul Duke
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papalii

Post by Raoul Duke »

Ben and Sev Love Milk wrote: February 9, 2024, 9:54 pm I just don’t get all the negativity, we haven’t even had a trial yet and the coach is getting hammered.Just have some optimism lads.
It's because we should have rebuilt far earlier and now that we are rebuilding, a lot of people are skeptical that Stick is able to take off his green tinted glasses and put in place a strategy for building sustained success into the future. We haven't been win-now since 2020 - 3 seasons of either missing or scraping into the finals without looking threatening against the top teams is not what we should be shooting for.

We aren't winning the comp this year...this year is about building for the future.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Raoul Duke wrote: February 25, 2024, 8:17 am
It's because we should have rebuilt far earlier and now that we are rebuilding, a lot of people are skeptical that Stick is able to take off his green tinted glasses and put in place a strategy for building sustained success into the future. We haven't been win-now since 2020 - 3 seasons of either missing or scraping into the finals without looking threatening against the top teams is not what we should be shooting for.

We aren't winning the comp this year...this year is about building for the future.
And I feel like that’s where most fans head is at - we need to use this year to put ourselves in a position in 25-26-27 to be contending.

However - I’m fully expecting neither Stewart or Strange to be playing round 1, with Kaeo and Rapa in the spine and Schiller in centre, and for Ricky to kick the can of an actual rebuild down to the road some more.
Raoul Duke
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papalii

Post by Raoul Duke »

Coastalraider wrote: February 25, 2024, 10:35 am
Raoul Duke wrote: February 25, 2024, 8:17 am

And I feel like that’s where most fans head is at - we need to use this year to put ourselves in a position in 25-26-27 to be contending.

However - I’m fully expecting neither Stewart or Strange to be playing round 1, with Kaeo and Rapa in the spine and Schiller in centre, and for Ricky to kick the can of an actual rebuild down to the road some more.
Hence the skepticism