'We definitely 1 million per cent want to keep Trey': Raiders keen for Mooney to stay

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 'We definitely 1 million per cent want to keep Trey': Raiders keen for Mooney to stay

Post by Botman »

Trey Mooney with 50 games of first grade under his belt as Saulo has, is not going to be the player he is now with 7 to his name

Some of which were under 10 minute stints
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: 'We definitely 1 million per cent want to keep Trey': Raiders keen for Mooney to stay

Post by Seiffert82 »

I've never ever understood the disdain for Saulo.

I must be watching a different player to everyone else. From day one he was better than Guler. He always turns up to play and has been progressing well.

I love Horsburgh too, but I'd almost have Saulo above Hors for consistently good performances.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

My post wasn’t a shot at Saulo
It was simply to say a player with 7 games to his name and still acclimatising to FG speed due to limited minutes in those 7 games is not going to be the same player as when he’s got nearly 2 full seasons under his belt

I mean saulo himself is not the player he was when he first arrived either
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote: April 17, 2024, 5:02 pm My post wasn’t a shot at Saulo
It was simply to say a player with 7 games to his name and still acclimatising to FG speed due to limited minutes in those 7 games is not going to be the same player as when he’s got nearly 2 full seasons under his belt

I mean saulo himself is not the player he was when he first arrived either
Wasn't targeting my response to anyone in particular. Just a general vibe about Saulo being poor until now.

I'm certainly not off the Mooney bandwagon. There's potentially a good front rower in there. I'm personally not sure he's the home run prospect others might be seeing, but he has some great upside as a high-impact style middle. He definitely needs more opportunities, which I'm almost certain he will.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

I like Saulo - he belongs in our top 17. I think Mooney looks the goods also and would continue to pick him. He seems to be in the James Schiller category in terms of prioritisation though. Looks the goods, but other blokes preferred.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

I don't get the saulo love, part of the reason we lose forward ascendency when papa and tapine go off is because of him, and while he has improved a bit this year, I'd still have Mooney ahead of him

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

I'll be surprised if the Panthers don't have a sniff now. Back to Sydney, successful club. He'd be a good pick up for then.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

VictorTheViking wrote: April 17, 2024, 6:33 pm I don't get the saulo love, part of the reason we lose forward ascendency when papa and tapine go off is because of him, and while he has improved a bit this year, I'd still have Mooney ahead of him

No, he is not Tapine / Papa level at all. Very very few props are. But without going into the market for a $800k plus back up prop Saulo is in good shape as a second string prop attempting to hold the fort when one of the top pairings in the game take their spell.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Cranky Old Man wrote: April 17, 2024, 7:46 pm
VictorTheViking wrote: April 17, 2024, 6:33 pm I don't get the saulo love, part of the reason we lose forward ascendency when papa and tapine go off is because of him, and while he has improved a bit this year, I'd still have Mooney ahead of him

No, he is not Tapine / Papa level at all. Very very few props are. But without going into the market for a $800k plus back up prop Saulo is in good shape as a second string prop attempting to hold the fort when one of the top pairings in the game take their spell.
Yeah he has been good. He is a different style of prop - he’s not heavy in the collision like Papa, or making post contact meters like Tarps, but he takes quick hit ups and gets fast play the balls. Sometimes is about what happens next after one of his carries as a result of his quick play the ball rather than what does on the carry. He’s never going to be an elite of the game but he’s good and his doing a great job!
Bloody_Burnham
Gary Coyne

Post by Bloody_Burnham »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 17, 2024, 7:01 pm I'll be surprised if the Panthers don't have a sniff now. Back to Sydney, successful club. He'd be a good pick up for then.
I'm fully expecting he signs with the Panthers or Chooks (maybe the dogs) in the coming weeks. The Schiller news just demonstrates this club can't have nice things despite not really having a "star" player outside of Tapine.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Bloody_Burnham wrote: April 17, 2024, 8:22 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: April 17, 2024, 7:01 pm I'll be surprised if the Panthers don't have a sniff now. Back to Sydney, successful club. He'd be a good pick up for then.
I'm fully expecting he signs with the Panthers or Chooks (maybe the dogs) in the coming weeks. The Schiller news just demonstrates this club can't have nice things despite not really having a "star" player outside of Tapine.
Good news is we have more than 1 star emerging. Strange and Stewart could take us back to the promised land. Get hopeful Mr Burnham.
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

The Nickman wrote: April 17, 2024, 10:48 am Hahaha that was such a weird flex by Colk then.
Not so much a flex as just a total misread
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

I get that it is frustrating to lose players but I wouldn’t we only have one star player. I would argue for instance that Timoko is one of the better centres going around.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 17, 2024, 10:34 am
Colk wrote: April 17, 2024, 10:30 am
Bluesbrother wrote: April 17, 2024, 10:19 am
Rick wrote: April 17, 2024, 10:14 am
The Nickman wrote:I certainly think calls for Mooney to start in front of Tapine or Papalii are a bit misguided.

Let’s see if he can adjust to the speed of NRL before we start making changes like that.
So you would keep with the status quo and have a big drop off for the middle 40 minutes when the experienced guys are off?

18 zip against the sharks and lost.

12 zip against the titans then ended up in golden point

I get that they like playing together but the team goes into survival mode when they are off together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you've got a point Rick. However, it's not Mooney that should be starting - its Mariota or Saulo as they are better players.

I do think we will see Papa on the bench for certain games much like the Eels are doing with Paulo. This weekend against Brisbane might be an opportunity for that. Their middle is pretty lean without Haas and Flegler.
Flegler plays for the Dolphins now
Yes, so he won't be there.
Yeah sorry misread your comment.
Bloody_Burnham
Gary Coyne

Post by Bloody_Burnham »

Colk wrote: April 17, 2024, 9:24 pm
I get that it is frustrating to lose players but I wouldn’t we only have one star player. I would argue for instance that Timoko is one of the better centres going around.
Agreed Timoko is certainly at least an emerging star but it just beggars belief that clubs like the Panthers can at least build a great side which won one or two comps before the cap really started to bite. We are supposedly in a rebuild year now yet, one top young player has just walked out the door and another could soon follow (the silence is troubling). Can't help but feel the raiders climb back up the mountain seems to be tougher/steeper than most.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Bloody_Burnham wrote: April 17, 2024, 9:37 pm
Agreed Timoko is certainly at least an emerging star but it just beggars belief that clubs like the Panthers can at least build a great side which won one or two comps before the cap really started to bite. We are supposedly in a rebuild year now yet, one top young player has just walked out the door and another could soon follow (the silence is troubling). Can't help but feel the raiders climb back up the mountain seems to be tougher/steeper than most.
Well I think with the Schiller thing rightly or wrongly they might think that Asomua might have more of a future. They might have also just made an error by re-signing a bloke like Cotric.

On the Trey Mooney (assuming he is leaving) it might be a mistake. He might not become a super player but I think he is more likely than say Saulo and Guler.

Notwithstanding, the proof will be what we do after Schiller and (potentially) Mooney leave. Who knows we may replace them good young players from elsewhere.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Bloody_Burnham wrote: April 17, 2024, 9:37 pm
Mooney is years away from being a top tier prop and Schiller is a good centre but I'm not getting rid of Timoko or Seb Kris while also considering Ethan strange could end up in the centres . People need to calm down. If we lose both of them I would not lose a ounce of sleep over either.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Finchy wrote: April 17, 2024, 2:12 pm I feel like Saulo has either been told (or realised himself) that there are some young guys gunning for his spot. Guler has been dropped, so if he didn't start providing a bit more impact he could suffer the same fate. He's certainly playing with more noticeable intent the last few weeks.
That's got to play a part but players coming back from significant injury generally hit their stride after the next pre-season. He's more comfortable in first grade and more confident in his body.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Apparently Dogs and Tigers are interested in Trey
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Of course they are. And they wouldnt be the only ones.
Hopefully Trey looks at the age of the spine we are signing up and the age of our top props and sees the plan there. We are transitioning and he can be a massive part of that.
Dont delete this GE
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

LimeGreenMachine wrote:Apparently Dogs and Tigers are interested in Trey
I felt slightly more comfortable when I saw it was those 2 sides.

NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Dogs he can be a walk up starter and they will overpay him. Tigers would have a bit more competition for spots unless their big brained Stefano clause gets activated.

Looks like social media and forum smoke so far though.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

I think whilst we should be making all efforts to retain him at the appropriate price, he needs to be given an extended run in the top grade to show what he can give us.
raider1981
David Shillington

Post by raider1981 »

LimeGreenMachine wrote:Apparently Dogs and Tigers are interested in Trey
Link?
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 17, 2024, 4:59 pm I've never ever understood the disdain for Saulo.

I must be watching a different player to everyone else. From day one he was better than Guler. He always turns up to play and has been progressing well.

I love Horsburgh too, but I'd almost have Saulo above Hors for consistently good performances.

Very disappointed with Horse. He has let the team and his mates down. Knowing that you were suspended and not being there for the team, he should have made every effort to be in prime condition for his first game. Instead he was unfit and not ready. That’s inexcusable almost. And then cause he’s not fit and ready, likely injured himself.

He should spend minimum 4 weeks in Cup when he’s back from injury giving Mooney and Saulo the chance to form a combination.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

With all the JFH noise and now the Panthers being in the market for a prop, I think some movement will ensue. Mooney's value has risen without him doing a thing.

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Yeah I’m intriguing to see where the Horse career ends up. We saw the highs last year, his ceiling is great. But we also heard last year via his podcast interview that it seems Ricky puts a lot of onus on him to control his own path, sometimes they don’t speak, he loses focus on health and training etc.

I fear we are seeing more ‘loan to the bulldogs’ Red than Qld rep Red this year.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Regs Revolution wrote: April 18, 2024, 9:30 am
Seiffert82 wrote: April 17, 2024, 4:59 pm I've never ever understood the disdain for Saulo.

Very disappointed with Horse. He has let the team and his mates down. Knowing that you were suspended and not being there for the team, he should have made every effort to be in prime condition for his first game. Instead he was unfit and not ready. That’s inexcusable almost. And then cause he’s not fit and ready, likely injured himself.

He should spend minimum 4 weeks in Cup when he’s back from injury giving Mooney and Saulo the chance to form a combination.
Agreed. From day one he looked like a player you want in your team for that aggression and impact, however he is far from professional in his preparation.

I do worry that the Origin appearance came too early for him. It's really a mental game for Horsburgh. Stick obviously loves him, but he really needs to step up his training attitude.

Mooney looks like a good kid and is reportedly keen to stay here and play with his mates. The club clearly wants him to stay, but if another team comes out and makes a ridiculous offer to take a punt on him it's hard to compete.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

I'd agree too. It's disappointing for Horse and really, the one hardest hit will be him. I think Ricky was being kind to him by saying publicly that he needed a week or 2 in NSW as the ideal preparation for "all front rowers". Clearly, this was a cover up to protect/not oust Hors for his lack of diligence. If he was professional and diligent like a Tapine he would have come straight back in. He's got a lot to work with and he already is a great player but I'm disappointed he hasn't come back a lean machine with the desire we need. A tough one to manage for the coaches. Hopefully he is ripping into his rehabilitation as we speak.
MJY
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by MJY »

I'm confused on the Hors critics..
Poor against sharks (whole team was) but 6 runs for almost 100m and 16 tackles 0 missed against Parramatta. 2nd game back I was pretty happy to see that
He's played 60 minutes of football in 7 months and people saying his career is in jeopardy. The suspension was also extremely rough IMO.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

MJY wrote:I'm confused on the Hors critics..
Poor against sharks (whole team was) but 6 runs for almost 100m and 16 tackles 0 missed against Parramatta. 2nd game back I was pretty happy to see that
He's played 60 minutes of football in 7 months and people saying his career is in jeopardy. The suspension was also extremely rough IMO.
Not a single person is saying his career is in jeopardy.

He's a big part of what can make this an elite forward pack, but there are quite a few examples of where his off-field preparation could be better.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha that's possibly the greatest strawman of 2024 so far!
jimmy82
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

He’s played pretty well the last two weeks, sign him up
Juz
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Josh Papali'i

Post by Juz »

I think he was ok in his role for the 2 games, nothing special yet. It'll be interesting to see how he goes with a few more NRL games under his belt.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Bloody_Burnham
Gary Coyne

Post by Bloody_Burnham »

Thought he was pretty decent again tonight in a well beaten side without setting the world on fire. Bends the line more than Guler and has defended reasonably well.