Sharks 13+
39%

Total votes: 18

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Re: 2024 Round 8 v Sharks: Teams and Previews

Post by Neeeegz »

I've been one of Schiller's biggest fans.
Up until now, what we need is a defensive winger and I think cotric played pretty good in cup.
Straight swap there for me
President Clinton
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

I don’t think Stuart for go for Pezet when he signed Weekes.

Though I don’t see how Weekes and Strange can work. Both ball runners.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 22, 2024, 2:38 pm
bonehead wrote: April 22, 2024, 1:52 pm be nice to have some height or size on a wing, Chevy and Sav bring the speed but I worry with Asomua we'd be quite height challenged

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
Chevy brings speed? Not sure about that yet. Seems to be "fast enough" like a Dugan or Karmichael Hunt. Nowhere near Savage
The way he cannonballed into the titans forwards tells me he has pace, but he will need a rest soon for his own sake
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

I agree we need some hight on the wing that can contest high balls. With the mods to the rules it's getting harder to stop contests.
If it was me I'm throwing some money to votano at the knights. He has no shot at fullback at the knights with ponga. Will take a couple of years to develop but he could be excellent.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Neeeegz wrote: April 22, 2024, 9:07 pm I've been one of Schiller's biggest fans.
Up until now, what we need is a defensive winger and I think cotric played pretty good in cup.
Can't say I watched the game on the weekend and came away thinking we're missing Cotric.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 23, 2024, 5:58 am
Neeeegz wrote: April 22, 2024, 9:07 pm I've been one of Schiller's biggest fans.
Can't say I watched the game on the weekend and came away thinking we're missing Cotric.
Happy to try a different winger to Schiller, but not Cotric.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

NSW cup report on Fox.

Still on returns, Albert Hopoate is back in action after suffering serious burns due to a cooking incident. Hopoate was busy for the Raiders in their 20-12 loss to the Bears, finishing with 197 metres off 22 runs and four tackle busts.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 35d072cb28

Only stat they can come up with is metres. Still cant offer anything else. Less than 10m a run , with the 4 tackle breaks.

No thanks
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Guy reminds me of David Howell.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: April 23, 2024, 8:41 am NSW cup report on Fox.

Still on returns, Albert Hopoate is back in action after suffering serious burns due to a cooking incident. Hopoate was busy for the Raiders in their 20-12 loss to the Bears, finishing with 197 metres off 22 runs and four tackle busts.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 35d072cb28

Only stat they can come up with is metres. Still cant offer anything else. Less than 10m a run , with the 4 tackle breaks.

No thanks
And unsurprisingly another favourite of Billy’s. “Statistically terrible” seems to be a prerequisite for him
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by PNGRaider37 »

Probably already posted somewhere here. But anyone with an Honest (non sarcastic or unfair) assessment of Weekes NSW Cup form, style of play and how well he will go this weekend?
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

PNGRaider37 wrote: April 23, 2024, 10:08 am Probably already posted somewhere here. But anyone with an Honest (non sarcastic or unfair) assessment of Weekes NSW Cup form, style of play and how well he will go this weekend?
He has been good. Bear in mind he has only played 4 games and two of them he came off early because he was 18th man so it's a not a huge sample size. The side was also absolutely wrecking teams in the middle those games.

He is a little quiet at times but that's a pretty standard criticism of five eighths when they aren't the dominant half in the side. He very much plays the secondary half role but his touches were quality and he put on a fair few tries. Defensively he has been solid and they don't run much traffic at him usually.

It will be interesting to see how he and Strange divide the work up and if either takes on the role of dominant half.
Last edited by NoMan on April 23, 2024, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

PNGRaider37 wrote: April 23, 2024, 10:08 am Probably already posted somewhere here. But anyone with an Honest (non sarcastic or unfair) assessment of Weekes NSW Cup form, style of play and how well he will go this weekend?
Has been a victim a little of being 18th man so hasn't had as many minutes in Cup as he would like. Adam Cook and Woolford have been controlling the side, but Weekes, when he plays, has had some nice touches. He is a good player. Fast, skilful, good footwork, but like all young players a few issues. He can go missing in stretches in games where he doesn't get involved. Defensively he will need a lot of help from those around him, he will be a target, and I think he is good for at least one line break or try conceded a game. His kicking game is not great and he can be quiet on the field.

Stuart will need to adjust the style of play without Fogarty. His kicking game forgived a lot of sins. With very little ball playing in the halves, we will have to rely a lot on the forward pack and second phase.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

It won’t happen but I do wonder if Puru would be more useful now with his ball playing given neither half will be able to get ball consistently on the outside.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Starling was modelling the Anzac jersey today for this weekend. He will be named
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

It will be same as last week, Weekes in for Fog. Would actually love to have whitehead - last week was a good example of why we need senior players to reduce the growing pains.

Just sucks that our first choice fullback and halfback are out for large parts of the season. Changes the expectation back to not making the 8 and just being playing tough footy with effort and enthusiasm.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

NoMan wrote: April 23, 2024, 10:30 am
He has been good. Bear in mind he has only played 4 games and two of them he came off early because he was 18th man so it's a not a huge sample size. The side was also absolutely wrecking teams in the middle those games.

He is a little quiet at times but that's a pretty standard criticism of five eighths when they aren't the dominant half in the side. He very much plays the secondary half role but his touches were quality and he put on a fair few tries. Defensively he has been solid and they don't run much traffic at him usually.

It will be interesting to see how he and Strange divide the work up and if either takes on the role of dominant half.
It will be interesting to see and how quickly they can form a conbination. That 18th man suit does upset the rhythm.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

TongueFTW wrote: April 23, 2024, 10:35 am
Has been a victim a little of being 18th man so hasn't had as many minutes in Cup as he would like. Adam Cook and Woolford have been controlling the side, but Weekes, when he plays, has had some nice touches. He is a good player. Fast, skilful, good footwork, but like all young players a few issues. He can go missing in stretches in games where he doesn't get involved. Defensively he will need a lot of help from those around him, he will be a target, and I think he is good for at least one line break or try conceded a game. His kicking game is not great and he can be quiet on the field.

Stuart will need to adjust the style of play without Fogarty. His kicking game forgived a lot of sins. With very little ball playing in the halves, we will have to rely a lot on the forward pack and second phase.
Hopefully we see a bit more line engagement (out of instinct) then as opposed to the usual (and very good from Fogs) kicking game.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote:It will be same as last week, Weekes in for Fog. Would actually love to have whitehead - last week was a good example of why we need senior players to reduce the growing pains.

Just sucks that our first choice fullback and halfback are out for large parts of the season. Changes the expectation back to not making the 8 and just being playing tough footy with effort and enthusiasm.
I don’t really think Whitehead reduces those growing pains. Not convinced any of the errors were due to heads down or lack of focus. They were just typical young player errors in atrocious conditions.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Like I’ve said, we actually played ok. Some basic errors that led to tries. Other errors that led to failed opportunities, Aka Savage sideline moves twice. He would usually convert those. Conditions were tough.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 23, 2024, 5:58 am
He made 10 runs in NSW Cup. Not exactly banging the door down with involvement to come back either.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Finucane announces immediate retirement

After an illustrious NRL career spanning 13 seasons, Sharks co-captain Dale Finucane has today announced his retirement, effective immediately.

The champion forward will finish with a tally of 251 NRL matches, two premierships and a reputation as one of the toughest and hardest-working players of his era.

Finucane confirmed at a press conference alongside head coach Craig Fitzgibbon on Tuesday that he'd been medically advised to hang up the boots due to his history of head knocks. He was contracted until the end of 2025.

"I'm announcing my medical retirement today," Finucane said to a full room including his Sharks teammates and staff.

"Over the last couple of weeks I've gone through the process of seeing a number of neurologists and neuropsychologists around the issues I've had with concussion.

"At the end of the day, there was no decision to be made. The medical advice was that I retire and don't continue to play and that was from two independent medical experts.

"I spoke with Clint Newton, (CEO) of the RLPA, around potential avenues to return to play and potentially go against that advice but at the end of the day it wasn't able to come to fruition.

"I'm obviously extremely disappointed about it but I'm excited about the next stage of life as well. It's been a stringent process to try and tick boxes to try and play but obviously it wasn't possible."

Read more: https://www.sharks.com.au/news/2024/04/ ... etirement/

Sharks playmaker Braydon Trindall fails roadside alcohol and drugs test

Cronulla Sharks playmaker Braydon Trindall has failed a roadside alcohol and illicit drugs test. Trindall will not play this weekend for the Sharks against Canberra on Sunday and the matter is under investigation with the NRL Integrity unit. He’s facing a court appearance in May after being charged by police for recording a mid-range blood alcohol reading. Trindall is waiting for a secondary test result to ascertain the level of illicit drugs in his system.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... e12ad9bc58

Sharks club statement

Sharks NRL squad member Braydon Trindall failed initial roadside alcohol and illicit drug tests early on Monday morning.

The club has since followed the appropriate protocols within the player's contract and CBA and continues to work with the NRL integrity unit, with the club, player and his management agreeing it is in Braydon's best interest to not participate in games or to train for the short term, and more importantly to attend to his welfare and health issues.

Trindall reported the result of the roadside tests immediately to Sharks management, who in turn informed the NRL integrity unit.

The matter has been referred for a court appearance in May where Trindall will face the allegations and charges levelled against him, noting that a secondary sample of the illicit drug test is yet to be confirmed.

The Sharks treat these issues extremely seriously, however they are providing Trindall with the necessary welfare support.

Until more information is available the club will make no further comment.

Cronulla Sharks media release
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

2024 Round 8 NRL teams: Raiders v Sharks

Canberra Raiders v Cronulla Sharks
Sunday 28 April, 4:05pm
Canberra Stadium
Gates Open: 11:45am
Jersey Flegg: 12:00pm
NSW Cup: 1:40pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine, Nine Now, Fox League, Kayo
Radio coverage: ABC, Mix106.3, 2CC

The Canberra Raiders have named their team to take on the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks at GIO Stadium Canberra on Sunday afternoon in ANZAC Round.

Kaeo Weekes will become Raider #397 after he was named to make his debut in place of Jamal Fogarty, who underwent surgery today on a biceps injury. Fogarty will miss between 12-14 weeks.

Simi Sasagi has been named to start in the second row, with Ata Mariota shifting back to the bench.

Canberra Raiders media

Canberra Raiders

1. Chevy Stewart
2. James Schiller
3. Matthew Timoko
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Xavier Savage
6. Ethan Strange
7. Kaeo Weekes
8. Josh Papalii
9. Danny Levi
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Simi Sasagi
13. Morgan Smithies

14. Tom Starling
15. Ata Mariota
16. Trey Mooney
17. Pasami Saulo

18. Albert Hopoate
19. Emre Guler
20. Zac Woolford
21. Nick Cotric
22. Peter Hola

Injury/Suspension
Elliott Whitehead, Calf (Round 9)
Corey Horsburgh, Groin (Round 11-13)
Jordan Rapana, Knee (Round 11-13)
Jamal Fogarty, Bicep (Round 20-22)
Zac Hosking, Shoulder (Indefinite)
Corey Harawira-Naera, Seizure (Indefinite)

Cronulla Sharks

1. William Kennedy
2. Sione Katoa
3. Jesse Ramien
4. Kayal Iro
5. Ronaldo Mulitalo
6. Daniel Atkinson
7. Nicho Hynes
8. Thomas Hazelton
9. Blayke Brailey
10. Oregon Kaufusi
11. Briton Nikora
12. Teig Wilton
13. Cameron McInnes

14. Jack Williams
15. Siosifa Talakai
16. Toby Rudolf
17. Braden Hamlin-Uele

18. Mawene Hiroti
19. Tuku Hau Tapuha
20. Samuel Stonestreet
21. Royce Hunt
22. Kade Dykes

Injury/Suspension
Braydon Trindall, Stood down (TBA)
Jesse Colquhoun, Foot (Indefinite)

Officials

Referee: Peter Gough
Touch judges: Jon Stone, Drew Oultram
Video referee: Gerard Sutton

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLRaidersSharks

NSW Cup teams: Click here
Jersey Flegg teams: Click here
The Greenhouse score update service
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

About time the NSW police helped us out.
Shiv
Peter Jackson

Post by Shiv »

Billy Walker wrote:About time the NSW police helped us out.
That’s really funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Team as expected.

EWs calf injury must be real annoying.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Interesting to see hoppa not coming straight back in and not back in after a loss. I'm sure that's surprised a few.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

$3.5M unavailable

Edrick The Entertainer
Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: 2024 Round 8 v Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Azza »

You know I know we sucked last week, but it's actually not a bad side IMO even though the spine is completely new and nowhere near gelling.

The hookers largely suck yes, I accept that. But we've dished up far worse dross over the years.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Interesting to see Ata back to the bench.

Maybe Simi offers another ball playing game to take pressure off Strange and Weekes?
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
President Clinton
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

That is such a young backline.

It is a worry to think how the side will look experience-wise when Papalii and Tapine are off the field.

Having Rapana, Fogarty, CHN and - as much as I hate to say it - Whitehead missing leaves us in a hole.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

President Clinton wrote: April 23, 2024, 4:33 pm That is such a young backline.

It is a worry to think how the side will look experience-wise when Papalii and Tapine are off the field.

Having Rapana, Fogarty, CHN and - as much as I hate to say it - Whitehead missing leaves us in a hole.

I did the sums
We have 204 games experience across the backs 1-7

2 players counted from the sharks and were already way over the 204 so gave up
Vaccinated
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

bonehead wrote: April 23, 2024, 4:10 pm $3.5M unavailable

and 800+ games experience probably.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

cat wrote: April 23, 2024, 4:51 pm
President Clinton wrote: April 23, 2024, 4:33 pm That is such a young backline.

I did the sums
We have 204 games experience across the backs 1-7

2 players counted from the sharks and were already way over the 204 so gave up
My first guess was under 100, but then I was surprised to see Timoko has 70 and Kris 71. That seems to have happened fast.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Papa the only player in that side over 30. (Tapine is only a week and a bit off)
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

Our forward pack, on paper is too good to get rolled like they did in the first Sharks game. A similar performance will likely see the worst scoreline of the season.