Homesick Canberra Raiders youngster Anthony Milford eyes Brisbane Broncos move

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

CJ42
Laurie Daley

Re: Milford returns to Canberra for 2014 preseason training

Post by CJ42 »

I'm a glass half full kinda guy when it comes to my sport teams, but I'm pretty excited that we have Milford for the year. Gives us a year to develope/hunt a replacement and I love watching him play, it will suck next year but bring on this one.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

every time Milford get the ball or puts on some amazing footwork or scores a try I hope we are not going to hear the words "Brisbane bound".
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

green94 wrote:every time Milford get the ball or puts on some amazing footwork or scores a try I hope we are not going to hear the words "Brisbane bound".
we will hear that all year, they will talk about it every game just as they did when maloney was roosters bound. it never mattered what he did good for the warriors it was always "and thats why the roosters have signed this special talent, the roosters are going to be a great side with this guy there, go the rooster etc"
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders star Anthony Milford denies seeking release from club

Canberra star Anthony Milford denies he sought a release to join the Brisbane Broncos this year and wants to finish his career with the Raiders ''on a big note''.

In his first press conference since confirming he would honour the final year of his contract with the Raiders before joining the Broncos from 2015, Milford said he hadn't asked to be granted an early exit so he could be closer to his Brisbane-based family.

''No, (I am) just focusing on the Raiders and the training for the games coming up,'' Milford said.

''I'm concentrating on this year and trying to go out on a big note.''

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 30jwz.html
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

At this point, if Anthony Milford or his manager released a presser telling me the sky was blue, i'd walk out and check it myself.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don't know who was giving those quotes to The Courier Mail then...
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I might be sweet and naïve but as long as Milford is playing for the Raiders this year there is still hope he stays on beyond 2014.

We all thought Papa was gone and look what happened, I don't care how "water tight" the contract is, we have seen time and again they are not worth the paper they are written on

I for one am going to give Milford lots of Raiders love this year and enjoy seeing him play.
Who knows what will happen here and at the broncos
Vaccinated
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Nick wrote:At this point, if Anthony Milford or his manager released a presser telling me the sky was blue, i'd walk out and check it myself.
I'd like to hear Pillington's thoughts before I checked.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

PrimetimeRaider wrote:
Nick wrote:At this point, if Anthony Milford or his manager released a presser telling me the sky was blue, i'd walk out and check it myself.

on the sky being blue or milford not asking for a release? ;)
Vaccinated
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

PrimetimeRaider wrote:
He is on a total media ban by the looks of things is he even around any more? Lol
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

greeneyed wrote:I don't know who was giving those quotes to The Courier Mail then...
I wouldn't put it past the CM to just make **** up. They do it all the time during the SOO period :P
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
greeneyed wrote:I don't know who was giving those quotes to The Courier Mail then...
I wouldn't put it past the CM to just make **** up. They do it all the time during the SOO period :P
Can't recall them being denied...
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

You can't have it both ways GE, either the CM is a rag that prints lies all the time OR they print the truth about Milford and the QLD team.

It's laughable to think they turn into angels come SOO.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Bay 67
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Elliot Whitehead

Post by Bay 67 »

The anger that people have on this situation needs to be directed towards the Broncos.

They were trying to manipulate a situation to get a kid out of a contract. The Courier Mail and News Ltd was more than happy to help out.

Facts and Rugby League reporting are very distant and estranged cousins.

I agree he hasn't handled it well, but I know I didn't handle most things well, and made some bad choices at the age of 19.

Anyone who boos Milford this year is not a true fan of the club.

Any action that demotivates a potential star player is dumb.

Not sure about everyone else, but I want every player to play to their talent while they play in the green.

Save your boos for the Broncos. I'll be letting rip at Canberra Stadium from 7.00pm on Monday 9 June.
Raiders Lime, what they really drink in the dressing room.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Bay 67 wrote:The anger that people have on this situation needs to be directed towards the Broncos.

They were trying to manipulate a situation to get a kid out of a contract. The Courier Mail and News Ltd was more than happy to help out.

I agree he hasn't handled it well, but I know I didn't handle most things well, and made some bad choices at the age of 19.

Not sure about everyone else, but I want every player to play to their talent while they play in the green.

Save your boos for the Broncos. I'll be letting rip at Canberra Stadium from 7.00pm on Monday 9 June.
with us booing the sharks, broncos, eels, dragons and roosters there is going to be a lot of feeling in Canberra stadium this season :P
Vaccinated
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

All we can ask is that he puts in , has the right attitude.

Time will tell , I think he will though , he's young and he wants to prove himself as a professional footballer.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:
That's exactly my thoughts. If it really was the Courier Mail "just making **** up" then surely SOMEONE would've denied it.

Smoke, fire, blah blah blah.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Milford returns to Canberra for 2014 preseason training

Post by Toviii »

First he asked for a release, now he denies it, who cares? He's back in Canberra for 2014 and that seems to be final.

I'm prepared to keep all the off-season BS in the past if he continues to put in for the Raiders next year.
Last edited by Toviii on January 9, 2014, 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

How can he say he didn't ask for a release. I remember when he signed with the Broncos the same day the Raiders released a statement saying he would be here in 2014 and he was still in Samoa, he then came home from Samoa and was upset that the Raiders released a statement saying he would remain at the club on 2014 and said he hadn't confirmed he was staying.

Anyway glad he is playing, could be the difference between making the 8 or not. Can't wait for the footy.
In Ricky We Trust
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Campese tips big 2014 for Milford

Brisbane-bound utility Anthony Milford is expected to put in a big year at fullback in his last season at the Raiders, according to club captain Terry Campese.

"This happens all the time in football, it's a professional sport. His decision was family-based, you can't hold that against people, it's about getting out there and playing football," Campese told reporters as the Raiders returned to training on Thursday.

"He wants to make this a big year, he wants to play Origin, he's going to put his best foot forward with the team and the players are excited to play with him."

"He's a footballer, footballers are competitive and when they get out on the football field they want to win games," he said. "It's no different with Tone – he's a competitor, he wants to win and I can't wait to play alongside him again this year."

Read more: http://www.nrl.com/campese-tips-big-201 ... fault.aspx
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I love how they're all tipping each other for a big season.

Has anyone tipped Tilsey for a big one yet??
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It's a wonder pillow hasn't been out and said they want to build the gio fortress
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I want fullback jersey at Canberra Raiders, declares star youngster Anthony Milford

HE'S been earmarked as a future NRL halves star, but young gun Anthony Milford wants to stay at fullback in his final year for Canberra and has no intention of breaking up the combination between captain Terry Campese and Josh McCrone.

"They've got a good combo going, I'm happy at the back,'' Milford said at Raiders pre-season training today.

"But that will come down to injuries. Wherever I can do my thing for the team, that's where I'll be.''

"At fullback he can learn a lot, and he did win the Mal Meninga Medal when he played fullback,'' Raiders captain Terry Campese said. "But he's definitely a half for the future.''

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/i-want ... 6798352658
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Tim W wrote:It's a wonder pillow hasn't been out and said they want to build the gio fortress
He's still trying to get his money back from the last fortress he tried to build.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

greeneyed wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:
Where's the quote from Milf denying it, can't find one.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

Let Milf play fullback for the hole year in the 20's tho lol
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

cat wrote:
Bay 67 wrote:The anger that people have on this situation needs to be directed towards the Broncos.

with us booing the sharks, broncos, eels, dragons and roosters there is going to be a lot of feeling in Canberra stadium this season :P
Let's hope so :lol:

One thing to keep in mind with the CM: it's a News Ltd rag and News Ltd is the Broncos' major shareholder. All of those rags pander to whichever city they happen to be in.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
ForeverMcCrone
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: #Forever McCrone

Post by ForeverMcCrone »

I don't understand. His manager asked for a release and advised you wanted to be back home because your homesick and want to be with your family, but then you say this in the article which is it Milford?
In his first press conference since confirming he would honour the final year of his contract with the Raiders before joining the Broncos from 2015, Milford said he hadn't asked to be granted an early exit so he could be closer to his Brisbane-based family.
ForeverMcCrone
John Ferguson

Post by ForeverMcCrone »

I want fullback jersey at Canberra Raiders, declares star youngster Anthony Milford
Well then you should have signed on for 2015. I want a million dollars but didn't your parents teach you I want doesn't get. I wanted you to talk to the fans to be honest about what was going on but you were cryptic and now say you didn't seek a release. Just be honest, and prove to the fans and the coaches you deserve it and earn it for 2014. Because your going it shouldn't just be given to you. Sure if you earn it and your the best player on the park you can have it. But I ain't cheering or booing you, it will just be a meh but I'll cheer the other 16 players on the field and the team when your on.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, get into 'im, Dazza!
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

DBOT187 wrote:I don't understand. His manager asked for a release and advised you wanted to be back home because your homesick and want to be with your family, but then you say this in the article which is it Milford?
Lot's of possibilities. Best not to think about it.

Of course it won't be the end of the whole Milford saga. I expect in the lead up to June 30 we will hear more from Milford, Ayoub and the Broncs
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Anthony Milford says he determined to depart Raiders 'on a big note'

Canberra star Anthony Milford denies he continued pushing for a release to join the Brisbane Broncos in 2014 and is committed to finishing his time with the Raiders ''on a big note''.

In his first press conference since confirming he would honour the final year of his contract with the Raiders before joining the Broncos from 2015, Milford also expressed his desire to continue at fullback for the Raiders.

Milford's contractual drama at the Raiders has been drawn out since August, when he initially asked Canberra for a release to be closer to family in Brisbane.

Despite signing with the Broncos for 2015, Milford denied he continued to pursue an early transfer.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 30kmf.html
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

that's a great attitude Milf, wait till he starts stepping through defensive lines and making opposition players look stoopid. how can anybody not cheer that ?

4 weeks till trials, bring it.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

the **** couldnt lie straight in bed.
ForeverMcCrone
John Ferguson

Post by ForeverMcCrone »

The Nickman wrote:Yeah, get into 'im, Dazza!
Hahaha Ohh Nick keep up the good work. Love it :-D just annoys me the way it's played out. I get that players leave and that's fine, just wish he had of respected the club and the fans and announced his intention to leave the right way. Of course I'd still be annoyed at him leaving but as a fan I would respect the way he had treated the club and fans in handling his career move. Look at the way the brumbies player did it Milford.