Homesick Canberra Raiders youngster Anthony Milford eyes Brisbane Broncos move

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Re: Homesick Raiders youngster Milford eyes Broncos move

Post by Walt Flanigan »

Not reading too much into it. If he was going to leave for family reasons then I'd say it would have been when his father had the heart attack last year. Seems to be happy here.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Michael wrote:
julian87 wrote:Milford to Brisbane.
Are you going to actually come through with any solid information on this, or are you just going to be a massive cat and post that and not elaborate?
it's just from a bloke that lives and breathes rugby league. also coupled with the same rumour from the broncos forum I've been told. last night it was said that: Brisbane will announce the signing of a young spine player tomorrow who has been released by his current club on compassionate grounds...starting 2014, obviously.

I thought it was barba after the months of speculation, but the same bloke then said it was Milford.

there is absolutely no official source or anything at all. I hope it doesn't happen, he's an absolute machine, I've just been told he's gone and I believe it.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

Don't they want Cameron Smith aswell? Would love to have their salary cap. Would be up there with the Roosters.
tragic
Brett Mullins

Post by tragic »

I will be gutted if this happens.
More reason to despise the broncos.
Raiders member no# 2278.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

This is the inherent disadvantage for us in the salary cap. Brisbane can source loads of third party money because of their ludicrously unfair situation of being a one town team in Australia's second largest rugby league city.

Second Brisbane side plz nrl.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

"At this stage we have had no approaches from anybody and Anthony is focusing on his football at Canberra," Ayoub said.

"The only reality is the fact that, yes, over the last 18 months, Anthony has been homesick.

"At one stage last year, he was keen to pack up and head back home. He has since settled and is playing NRL.

"His dad has had health issues since his heart attack last year and I can understand why people might put two and two together."
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6686826179

Quotes from Milford's manager last night, who simply says that these rumours are just people putting 1 + 1 to get 3. Says he is now settled here.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Walt Flanigan wrote:Don't they want Cameron Smith aswell? Would love to have their salary cap. Would be up there with the Roosters.
NRL would always turn a blind eye as having a 'successful' Brisbane helps them justify having them 21 Friday night games a year.

Meanwhile the NRL will fine us 20k if Don shouts the team Wagagmama after a home win.
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

Wasn't there are story a few weeks ago about Milford trying to move his entire family down to Canberra?
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Raiders Lim! wrote:Wasn't there are story a few weeks ago about Milford trying to move his entire family down to Canberra?
Reports yesterday said they are staying in Brissy
Hadugan
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: steve walters

Post by Hadugan »

Any one else see the statement bumping round on the broncos forum showing Milford expressing that the opportunity to play5/8 and be coached by hook is to good an opportunity to pass up? Absolutely gutting. I don't post often but this absolutely soul destroying to me. We've had this kid signed since he was 11, developed him and like many of players he's being poached while the nrl does nothing to support us! I hope that its all a mistake but I'm not feeling positive at all.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Why would being coached by Hook be too good an opportunity to pass up on, he might not be there by next year :lol:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

What's the nrl supposed to do. His dads sick and he wants to be closer to him. The nrl didn't force that clause into his contract.
fish1973
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: josh dugan

Post by fish1973 »

I hope its not true and its Barba to the Broncs!
If we do lose him i wld like to see Fergo at Fullback and Jack into the Centre's!!!
Hadugan
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: steve walters

Post by Hadugan »

While I agree the nrl can't do anything about this specific case, it doesn't change how they treat us in general. I still think that the broncos play by a different set of rules when it comes to recruitment and retention.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

The Broncos have obscene advantages in the current system that's a fact. In this specific case its just hard luck. Milford tried to move his family down here afterall.

If they do sign all the players they are after that's got to be like 4 million dollars in contracts
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

how about the shillo to broncos rumour ? fair dinkum these journos make some -/and@ up just to sell papers don't they ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think there was something to the Shillington to the Broncos rumour.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

It would be a shame to lose Milford but it could open the way for some interesting positional shifts.

Fergo at fullback, Wighton or Brenko Lee into the Centres could work out pretty well
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

julian87 wrote:
Michael wrote:
julian87 wrote:Milford to Brisbane.
Are you going to actually come through with any solid information on this, or are you just going to be a massive cat and post that and not elaborate?
it's just from a bloke that lives and breathes rugby league. also coupled with the same rumour from the broncos forum I've been told. last night it was said that: Brisbane will announce the signing of a young spine player tomorrow who has been released by his current club on compassionate grounds...starting 2014, obviously.

I thought it was barba after the months of speculation, but the same bloke then said it was Milford.

there is absolutely no official source or anything at all. I hope it doesn't happen, he's an absolute machine, I've just been told he's gone and I believe it.
It all leads to Barba, his ex has moved back to Queensland with their kids.

As GEM has pointed out if it is Milford then we have plenty of kids coming through the ranks, I'd be disappointed but its not the end of the world, we have Ahearn who is another talented kid.
WorkChoice
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

@Tuxy81: Having said that, after speaking to Milford's manager on Friday I'm far from convinced he's going anywhere.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

If the broncos do in fact get Milford and Barba, and play them both in the spine expecting amazing results, they are far dumber than i ever imagined. Both players are the anti structure. But they do need that typical RL structure so they know where to be to get the ball in the best position to do freakish things

If Milford is in the halves, Barba is going to be wasted at fullback because he's not going to know where to stand and be in order to get ball from Milford, same if the roles reversed. IMO there is really only room for one of those type of players in your spine. Two would create too much confussion for the rest of the team. You see it with the tigers when their primary play maker is this type of player, it results in some stunning tries but ultimately poor results... 2 of them being your primary play makers is going to be a very dumb and unsuccessful move
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Another reason why its Barba is because there is a good chance that Dugan is going to the Dogs next year.
WorkChoice
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

I would adore that.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

That would be absolute gold if Dugan left the Dragons to go the Dogs - I would howl with laughter.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Michael wrote:That would be absolute gold if Dugan left the Dragons to go the Dogs - I would howl with laughter.
Id laugh, and id laugh and id laugh... ****, id take the week off work and spend the entire time walking around Dragons territory laughing at everyone single fan in dragons gear :lol:
yarnos20
Brett Mullins

Post by yarnos20 »

Nick wrote:
Michael wrote:That would be absolute gold if Dugan left the Dragons to go the Dogs - I would howl with laughter.
Id laugh, and id laugh and id laugh... ****, id take the week off work and spend the entire time walking around Dragons territory laughing at everyone single fan in dragons gear :lol:
:lol:
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

Yeah heard that rumour this morning too. That would be hilarious.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Yeah barba to broncos and Dugan to bulldogs sounds pretty legit. Especially with Dugan walking around the field last night crying. I'd piss myself laughing at all those f**kwit dragons supporters with their Dugan signs. Half a season service hahaha.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

wouldn't the dragons spew chunks if Jed left. especially after all the feel good stories the club created by given this wayward young man a second chance.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Broncos will go crazily for smith which does give us an advantage
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

fish1973 wrote:I hope its not true and its Barba to the Broncs!
If we do lose him i wld like to see Fergo at Fullback and Jack into the Centre's!!!
Yep me too
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Not sure about Fergo at fullback

If Milf goes, its probably Reece's time to shine again, with Ahearn pushing him for a spot in the off season
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Raider47 wrote:
"At this stage we have had no approaches from anybody and Anthony is focusing on his football at Canberra," Ayoub said.

"The only reality is the fact that, yes, over the last 18 months, Anthony has been homesick.

"At one stage last year, he was keen to pack up and head back home. He has since settled and is playing NRL.

"His dad has had health issues since his heart attack last year and I can understand why people might put two and two together."
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6686826179

Quotes from Milford's manager last night, who simply says that these rumours are just people putting 1 + 1 to get 3. Says he is now settled here.
The whole article seems to have no basis in fact. Normally its the manager spreading these rumours but in this case he's pouring cold water on them.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It sounds like Barba to the Broncos is done deal. That'd be the young player heading home for sure.

Milford to the Broncos could go either way, but like Nick said, Barba and Milford in the same team is just ridiculous.

The Broncos have seriously lost the plot since Bennett dropped the ball with them years ago. How that team is in the position it currently is astounds me.
Please
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Please »

Dogs have bought that young Dragons fullback who carved up in 20s last night. Good signs for us
Well, at least Jack got paid.