Canberra Raiders seek second female board member

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders seek second female board member

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders seek second female board member as NRL demands more representation for women

The Canberra Raiders want to become just the second NRL team with two female board members as the NRL takes steps to make female representation on club boards compulsory to help clean up the game's image.

Canberra Raiders chairman Allan Hawke confirmed the club is investigating suitable female candidates to join Raiders Group chief financial officer Yvonne Gillett, who was elected onto an eight-person board this year.

The Raiders have one board spot vacant and Hawke confirmed they have identified a number of female candidates worthy of filling the position.

"We are examining that issue [second female board member] right now, we just haven't got to the end of that process,'' Hawke said.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... zszs3.html
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Canberra Raiders seek second female board member

Post by -TW- »

I don't think making it compulsory to have a female board member will do jack all..

I support the move to have women as board members, but having a lot harsher penalties such as suspensions, fines and deregistering players a lot sooner such as 1st or 2nd offences would be a bigger deterrent
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

"That issue" :lol:
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

I'm all for equality but why does this make news. We should live in a world where the best qualified gets it. If a lady is deemed most qualified, good luck to hear! Why do we need to read a story about it?
Last edited by deanoman on July 8, 2014, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Raiders board needs a real outsider and I can't think of a greater outsider than another woman board member. So bring it on. If they honestly choose the best person for the job, then all the better.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

deanoman wrote:I'm all for equality but why does this make news. We should live in a world where the best qualified gets it. If a lady is deemed most qualified, good luck to hear! Why do we need to read a story about it?
Backwards positive pr I guess
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

LOL at talking about 'best qualified' when the Raiders board consists of mouth-breathing, moronic dinosaurs.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Raider 85 wrote:"That issue" :lol:
You'd struggle to phrase it worse than that :lol:

"that issue" Is something you use when talking about Todd Carney.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

deanoman wrote:I'm all for equality but why does this make news. We should live in a world where the best qualified gets it. If a lady is deemed most qualified, good luck to hear! Why do we need to read a story about it?
I guess it's because the talent in half the population has to date been overlooked.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Does deflect attention away from what is happening on the field.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Schifty wrote:
Raider 85 wrote:"That issue" :lol:
You'd struggle to phrase it worse than that :lol:

"that issue" Is something you use when talking about Todd Carney.
I know, right!?

Fair dinkum, every time someone from the Raiders speaks it's like their mouth is falling down the stairs.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

greeneyed wrote:
I guess it's because the talent in half the population has to date been overlooked.
"Overlooked" / "excluded" appear to be popular terms. Question - has our club had an overt policy by which we only employ men in said positions, thus the aforementioned terms being regularly used?
GreenSquad Goldcoast
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by GreenSquad Goldcoast »

Erin molan :thumbsup :cmon :welcome:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raider 85 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
"Overlooked" / "excluded" appear to be popular terms. Question - has our club had an overt policy by which we only employ men in said positions, thus the aforementioned terms being regularly used?
Ever heard of unconscious or unrecognised bias? Question: if half the talent for boards is female, and there's no "overt policy that only men should be appointed", why has the first female board member only been appointed this year? After 35 years? And it's not like women have not been heavily involved in football clubs, is it? Or are they only fit to run the canteens?
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

greeneyed wrote:
Raider 85 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Ever heard of unconscious or unrecognised bias? Question: if half the talent for boards is female, and there's no "overt policy that only men should be appointed", why has the first female board member only been appointed this year?
I'll take that as a no, GE.

Anyway, I'm not particularly interested in getting in this with you - I've seen you go back and forth with others until blue in the face in another thread. I just find it amazing how people can be so confident in using terms such as "overlooked" and "excluded" when, in fact, it cannot be proven to be the case.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Raider 85 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Raider 85 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Ever heard of unconscious or unrecognised bias? Question: if half the talent for boards is female, and there's no "overt policy that only men should be appointed", why has the first female board member only been appointed this year?

Anyway, I'm not particularly interested in getting in this with you - I've seen you go back and forth with others until blue in the face in another thread. I just find it amazing how people can be so confident in using terms such as "overlooked" and "excluded" when, in fact, it cannot be proven to be the case.
Can't be proven but the fact our Board was a sausagefest for 30 years is very interesting evidence.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raider 85 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Raider 85 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

I'll take it that you've not heard of unrecognised or unconscious bias then. I find it amazing that some choose not to see or even ask why.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

@ Shifty

For which a range of factors may have contributed. Anyway, as I said above, I really don't want to do this :lol:

Perhaps when billyt returns home from shredding his Clubsport's tyres, he can shed his well educated views on this topic - suffice to say I'll have whatever he's having - how could I not.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@Schifty

And it's not like women have not had heavy involvement in rugby league over those 30 years. Or there have been no women in the business community who would have brought their skills and experience to the club over the past 30 years. It's strange, isn't it?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Ive got no problem with it. Agree 100% with GE
In a perfect world, you'd just have the most qualified people and roughly half of them, give or take, would be women... But we dont live in a perfect world and RL clubs have been boys clubs for years, until they break that cycle and women being involved at the highest level is par for the course, mandating their presense on boards is IMO an entirely acceptable proposition.

As Schifty suggested, it's not a coincidence that until this year our board has been a total sausage fest.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I might get the wife to apply for this position. A move to Canberra and free tickets for life.

She wants to know more about the salary package though...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

They could bring in Germaine Greer and introduce the Feminine Mystique as required reading and it wouldn't make any ****ing difference if she doesn't have the backbone to stand-up to the nepotism, cronyism and gross incompetence that is strangling this club.
robtheraider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Chris O'Sullivan

Post by robtheraider »

I agree, definitely need more women involved.

Apparently Bonehead and the had to get his own tea and bikkies, causing him to stack on another blue.

Oh wait....you want the females to vote and have a say..... :shock:
To all the people with telekinetic powers...please raise my hand.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I got my own tea and bikkies, Off the woman in the tuck shop where all female employees belong.
*Jokes*

In all honesty though I've been the victim of this kind of thing, position I was well and truly qualified for was given to an unqualified woman because they wanted more females on the staff. She subsequently stunk up the joint and I was promoted above her but that was no great shock to me.
Edrick The Entertainer
tubs
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Milford

Post by tubs »

Why does it have to be a female?
Should go to the most qualified person.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Male or female, I only hope she is independent and was not picked to be another family farm lackey.
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

papabear wrote:Male or female, I only hope she is independent and was not picked to be another family farm lackey.
Is there a Furner sister?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Wheres Loz? She could make the climb from GH member > GH Mod > Raiders Board Member
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Raiders Lim! wrote:
papabear wrote:Male or female, I only hope she is independent and was not picked to be another family farm lackey.
Is there a Furner sister?
There is. Cathy.
She is a delightful lady who did a lot of really good work for some of Canberra's most vulnerable children.
KBW
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by KBW »

greeneyed wrote:
Raider 85 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Ever heard of unconscious or unrecognised bias? Question: if half the talent for boards is female, and there's no "overt policy that only men should be appointed", why has the first female board member only been appointed this year? After 35 years? And it's not like women have not been heavily involved in football clubs, is it? Or are they only fit to run the canteens?
There are no canteens on the family farm, just relatives and cattle.

Maybe a woman in the dairy will teach the players how to milk it like some other teams I could mention.
Apologies for occasionally weird posts. I use voice recognition.
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

GreenSquad Goldcoast wrote:Erin molan :thumbsup :cmon :welcome:
:hmmm