Post by greeneyed »

2016 Rd 25 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles
Brookvale Oval
Saturday 27 August 3:00pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox Sports live
Radio: ABC, 2CC

Round 24. It didn't go to plan. Or maybe it did. The Raiders trailed 18-4 at half time, but a stunning comeback produced the 28-18 win. The comeback was led by captain Jarrod Croker, who scored a stunning try, sheer pace and acceleration, six minutes into the second half. And then proceeded to set up his winger, Brenko Lee, through some skillful passing - ending the day with three try assists. Brenko, well, he scored four tries all up, and three in the space of 15 minutes in the second half. It turned the game.

More on Round 23: As I saw it

The Canberra Raiders are on the road for the final two matches of the regular season and first up, meet the Sea Eagles at Brookvale. Josh Hodgson (suspension), Edrick Lee (calf) and Paul Vaughan (sternum) return to the Raiders squad. Junior Paulo has been cleared of serious injury (back), but will miss this week. Vaughan starts at prop in his place. With the return of Hodgson, Adam Clydsdale drops back to Mounties. Brenko Lee and Shaun Fensom are 18th and 19th men on an extended bench.

The retiring Manly Sea Eagles captain, Jamie Lyon (hamstring) has not named for a match that would have been his final home game. It had been thought that Dylan Walker (shoulder) would be out for the season, but he has been named at centre. Brayden Wiliame moves to the wing, with Brad Parker dropping out. Apisai Koroisau returns at hooker, with Blake Leary dropping back to the extended bench.

Late changes: Canberra Raiders five eighth Blake Austin broke his hand at training on Wednesday, so Sam Williams comes into the side. Austin may be out for the season. For Manly, Dylan Walker is struggling to be fit for the match, described as a "slight chance" to play by coach Trent Barrett.

Matt's Match-ups: Click here

History: Canberra has won 19 of 50 matches against the Manly Sea Eagles. Including matches against the Northern Eagles, doesn't make it look better either. In that case it is 21 wins for Canberra from 56 matches. The Raiders have won just three of the last 10 matches played. Two of those wins have been in the last two years: the victory in Round 13 this year at Canberra Stadium, and the win at Albury in Round 5 last year. No doubt Raiders fans also well remember the loss in Round 23 last year, which would have been a win, but for an illegal try to the Sea Eagles in the final minutes. Canberra has won only nine games from 25 matches at Brookvale Oval, the last being a 24-22 victory in 2010.

2016 Round 13 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

2015 Round 23 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

2015 Round 5 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

This week's "History Happens" first goes back to Round 9 of 1990 and a clash at the WACA in front of over 23,000 people. Sit back and enjoy!

1990 Round 9 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

Form: The Raiders have now won eight matches in a row, and it's the first time that has happened since 1995, 20 odd years ago. That year, the Raiders won their first nine matches of the season, and then finished the season with eight in a row... faltering at just the wrong time in the finals. The Sea Eagles are on a WWLLL form line. They had narrow losses to the Eels and Bulldogs, but suffered a 38-18 loss in Round 24 to the Melbourne Storm at Brookvale.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.36 favourites in this match; the Sea Eagles are paying $3.15. The Sea Eagles have 8.5 points start.

Our tip: It is third versus 12th on the ladder and the Sea Eagles are now out of contention for the finals. In addition, this season, the Sea Eagles have only won one match from 11 against a top eight team. However, it is the final home game before Manly captain Jamie Lyon retires. There will likely be a big crowd, even though Lyon is not playing, to say farewell. And the Sea Eagles will be doing their all to give him a win.

Attack: The Raiders are No. 1 in attack, scoring at 27 points a match; the Sea Eagles rank outside the top eight, at 19 points per match. The Raiders score an average five tries per match, the Sea Eagles three. It's the same for line breaks. The teams are about on par for running metres (Raiders 1532m, Sea Eagles 1542m per match) and kicking metres (Raiders 401m, Sea Eagles 419m per match).

The Raiders and Sea Eagles both average a little less than 50 per cent possession and both average nine errors a match. The Raiders are completing at 76 per cent, the Sea Eagles at 78 per cent. The Raiders concede an average of seven penalties per match, the Sea Eagles eight.

Defence: The Raiders concede 19 points on average per match, the Sea Eagles 22. The Raiders let in 18 points against the Eels, but have conceded less than the magic 16 points mark during their eight game winning streak, and 13 in the past five matches. The Sea Eagles have conceded over 19 points per match in the last five. The Raiders average 22 tackles per match, the Sea Eagles 28.

The Raiders are again expected to win, but, as Ricky Stuart says, there's no easy team to beat in the NRL. Some of the statistics are not far apart, but Canberra certainly has more strike in attack and a bit better defence. The Sea Eagles have their problems with injuries, with the likes Lyon, Brett Stewart, Steve Matai on the sideline. But then the Raiders also have Blake Austin and Junior Paulo missing through injury. If Canberra win its final two matches of the season, they have a chance at a top two spot - provided the Sharks drop at least one of their matches. The Raiders will need to be more mentally switched on than in the first half of the Eels match. But they should have too much at stake. Raiders by six.

What they're saying:

Shannon Boyd: "There's no individuals, it's a group game and everyone's got to do it together, not just one person. Stick [Ricky Stuart] has done a really good job down here. He's got all the boys in line, and everyone's playing well for each other and we're all good mates so it's all working for us."

Blake Austin on Canberra's road trips for the final rounds: "We really enjoy each other's company getting away. We'll spend a bit of time by the beach in Manly and then out to Leichhardt. Two pretty traditional grounds in our game, and it should be enjoyable."

Ricky Stuart on Blake Austin's injury: "It was a very simple accident and very unfortunate for Blake. As I said last week we are not a one man team and Sam Williams will come into the team now and we know he’ll do a great job for us. This will challenge us and everybody has to buy in and assist in picking up the slack.”

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton 2. Edrick Lee 3. Jarrod Croker 4. Joey Leilua 5. Jordan Rapana 6. Blake Austin 7. Aidan Sezer 8. Paul Vaughan 9. Josh Hodgson 10. Shannon Boyd 11. Josh Papalii 12. Elliott Whitehead 13. Sia Soliola

14. Kurt Baptiste 15. Luke Bateman 16. Clay Priest 17. Joe Tapine 18. Brenko Lee 19. Shaun Fensom

Manly Sea Eagles

1. Tom Trbojevic 2. Jorge Taufua 3. Lewis Brown 4. Dylan Walker 5. Brayden Wiliame 6. Matthew Wright 7. Daly Cherry-Evans 8. Addin Fonua-Blake 9. Api Koroisau 10. Nate Myles 11. Martin Taupau 12. Jamie Buhrer 13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Matt Parcell 15. Josh Starling 16. Frank Winterstein 17. Siosaia Vave 18. Blake Leary

Officials:

Referees: Ben Cummins, Tim Roby
Sideline Officials: Ricky MacFarlane, Adam Reid
Video Referees: Bernard Sutton, Bryan Norrie, Jason Robinson

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLManlyRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2016 #FromAllAngles

NSW Premiership teams: Click here
Holden Cup teams: Click here

Follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum, Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Greenheart
Ken Nagas

Re: 2016 Rd 25 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by Greenheart »

Hi guys.

Haven't posted on here for a while. but read/browse every day.

Where do away supporters sit at brookvale oval? The website doesn't seem to have a set set area. Is it just general admission and then the raiders fan flock together. If so... what part of the ground would this happen?
I'm posting this question in numerous areas as I need an answer asap to buy tickets tonight. Cheers for the help.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

From what I've seen, raiders fans congregate on a section of the grass hill!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

It would be good to see the raiders s ore first in this game to take the crowd out of it. There will be a lot of emotion from manly and the last thing we want to do is feed that.

Good to see Vaughn named. This is his chance to absolutely tip in and prove he deserves a spot in the 17. I'm expecting big things!

With the Sharks losing to the bunnies and with 2 very tough games to go we need to win to put them under even more pressure!
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Need to show a lot of urgency around the ruck. They have a few big boys who love to drop it out the back
Dont delete this GE
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Agreed pick, but have you noticed in recent weeks the more angry the boys are made the better they play? Feeding off the hostile crowd next two weeks should see us fired up from kickoff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sanur Raider
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Josh Vaughn

Post by Sanur Raider »

How's our luck with Austin! Injured at training!

A little left field but I wouldn't have minded seeing Hodgson and Baptiste share the halves role with Seizer and maybe bring in Clydesdale onto the bench or even went back to Whitehead in the halves. Love Williams but he doesn't really provide that X factor where I think Hodgson/Whitehead could. However, Williams is the safe play and with our outside backs on fire and Wighton finally being able to catch we have plenty of attacking weaponary there.

Good to see Vaughn back, my favorite player. Not too sure why he's been out for so long (think he was injured for a bit)! He could make the difference in this one!

Caaaarn the Raiders!
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Game day, bitches!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Game day! Let's get the job done boys!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I think we'll be ok.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
AJL
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by AJL »

Looking forward to seeing Edrick back and how we go with Sam.
Canberra Raiders
Member No. 1130

Breeding Raiders members since 2010
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day........ Yes!!!!! Go the Raiders
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

This is ridiculous. For the second time in three weeks I'll miss the game (I'm playing my annual game of rugby kicking off at 3pm :( ).

Complete media blackout until the 10pm Fox replay.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Thombre
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!

Post by Thombre »

Game day peeps and I just reakon california has this one in the bag!
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
CRR

Post by CRR »

dont worry folks, i bet on the raiders today, we are all good for a win
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

CRR wrote:dont worry folks, i bet on the raiders today, we are all good for a win
How does that help us? Chuck $100 on Manly please, worked last week!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

T_R wrote:This is ridiculous. For the second time in three weeks I'll miss the game (I'm playing my annual game of rugby kicking off at 3pm :( ).

Complete media blackout until the 10pm Fox replay.

Does your hospital have Fox?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I figure I'll be in an induced coma anyway

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Sydney_Raider
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Sydney_Raider »

Quite a bit of rain last night but fine this morning. Walked past Brookie yesterday looks in good shape but what it's like under foot is anyone's guess.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

T_R wrote:This is ridiculous. For the second time in three weeks I'll miss the game (I'm playing my annual game of rugby kicking off at 3pm :( ).
huh, next it'll be a musical or sumthun
I don't post facts
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

This will be tight for a while but the 3rd placed Raiders will be too strong.
14pt margin in our fav and Hodgo to rip them apart..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

NSW superstar Dylan Walker has been ruled out.

Probably requested by Bun Fulton and Laurie Daley, so Croker / Leilua don't make their selection blunder so obvious.
CRR

Post by CRR »

DJ89 wrote:NSW Dylan Walker has been ruled out.
Fixed that for you
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Some good reading in the tele today

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Mullins_y2k
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Mullins_y2k »

Very excited. If Sammy has a great game just wait and watch the love pour in from every corner. We know he's a little too good for reserve grade. If he comes in and performs when we need him most, we'll all be stoked!

As said earlier really excited for Vaughn and Lee to rip in!
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

The beauty of sammy coming in, manly will know he is a very capable first grader, so they'll be watching for him to run it early, so that he gives his outside men space, but them thinking that way already gives them space. It's going to be really hard for them to defend and I hope he brings a running game later in the game when it may be needed.
Rads1984
Brett Mullins

Post by Rads1984 »

Just heard on Triple M that Paulo might be a late inclusion. They most likely have no idea though.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rads1984 wrote:Just heard on Triple M that Paulo might be a late inclusion. They most likely have no idea though.
Sighting of Paulo at the hotel, heading out with kit.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Hope they don't risk him. A fresh Paulo smashing Gallen and Fifita at Canberra Stadium in week 1 has me very excited :evil:
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Disappointing if Vaughan misses out too. Be tempted to rest Boyd and play Vaughan I think at this stage of the year.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Where's the team??
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Regs Revolution wrote:Where's the team??
Raiders website having issues. Tim Gavel tweeted only change for us is Sammy in for Blake. Walker out for Manly.
Homer
David Grant
Favourite Player: Alan Tongue

Post by Homer »

Regs Revolution wrote:Where's the team??
At Brookvale I hope
The Greenhouse

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of today's NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and Manly Sea Eagles. Here's the final Raiders' line up:

1. Jack Wighton 2. Edrick Lee 3. Jarrod Croker 4. Joey Leilua 5. Jordan Rapana 20. Sam Williams 7. Aidan Sezer 8. Paul Vaughan 9. Josh Hodgson 10. Shannon Boyd 11. Josh Papalii 12. Elliott Whitehead 13. Sia Soliola

14. Kurt Baptiste 15. Luke Bateman 16. Clay Priest 17. Joe Tapine
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

The last couple of games Junior Paulo has been so impressive in defence, better than his attack. I hope Vaughan can show the same urgency and sting.