Post by 1992 »

That was beyond awesome.

Anyone know if it is staying?
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Viking clap

Post by greeneyed »

Talking about "big games" with big crowds at least.
Nadruku
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Nadruku

Post by Nadruku »

Would be amazing every game during the game a few times

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Anything over 15k they should do it.
Ideally if we keep playing this level of football, maybe that 15k+ becomes the norm at home games.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I would love to be a part of it again. Was amazing
Dont delete this GE
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Pigman wrote:Anything over 15k they should do it.
Ideally if we keep playing this level of football, maybe that 15k+ becomes the norm at home games.
Yeah, it'll look terrible with 8500 (after they've inflated it)
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Was bloody awesome. Will we be able to get it done when NRL takes over the ground for finals games? With the bloody fat pizza crew on the microphones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phoenix_Raider
David Grant

Post by Phoenix_Raider »

I was wondering if there was any way we could take it into finals with us... first hurdle would be getting the timing right with the clapping. My thoughts were that if you could somehow setup a live audio stream of the drum beat at a pre-determined time (around kick off time?), share the link and promote the **** out of it over social media.
RAIDERS MEMBER #5036
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

It was a great, but as has been mentioned it probably won't have the same effect with a sparse crowd. I like the idea of limiting it to big crowds or big occasions, less could be more here.

Improvements:

- Needs a proper demonstration, with the noise after clap included, as opposed to the cock up we saw from the Raiders game day staff
- Should be done right before the boys run out, so as to build on the feeling and excitement, and remove the dead space between the two
- It'd be stronger if it were supporter/crowd led as opposed to club
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

Loved being a part of it, too.

Would prefer the ground announcer kept quiet during, though. Probably some feedback we can provide for future.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Professor wrote:Loved being a part of it, too.

Would prefer the ground announcer kept quiet during, though. Probably some feedback we can provide for future.
yeah definitely once we have it downpat he wont be needed
Dont delete this GE
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

Another reason to hope we can finish second and get a home final.

Imagine 25,000 doing that.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Imagine 50000+ in Garema place when we win the premiership
Fair Cop
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Raps

Post by Fair Cop »

-TW- wrote:Imagine 50000+ in Garema place when we win the premiership
#The Clap #The Team #The Vibe
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I wasn't there but - agree with Affa that it needs to be a crowd thing. The ground announcer adds nothing to anything.

My question is, does it need a drum? If so, there must be several.

Surely it should be a spontaneous crowd gesture, ie a fulltime victory salute, or a halftime thing, or with minutes to go when the team REALLY need a lift. And if that's the case, how does the crowd get it going? I saw a lot of lamos on tv who didn't seem to know how to lift their arms above the horizontal plane...

...oh and yes, it looked absolutely **** amazing. And now it's ours, no other team can get it going without looking like stupids.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Fair Cop wrote:

Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

CJ42 wrote:
Fair Cop wrote:

I'll be in Japan :(
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Notaroboticfish wrote:
CJ42 wrote:
Fair Cop wrote:

I'll probably be in a coma.

luke
John Ferguson

Post by luke »

CJ42 wrote:
Notaroboticfish wrote:
CJ42 wrote:
Fair Cop wrote:

I'll probably be in a coma.

I'll be at the Mt Ainslie lookout surveying my kingdom
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Id love it to become 'a thing'. However, as others have mentioned, it needs a big turn out to really work.
rusty83
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Austin

Post by rusty83 »

I thought it was a bit cringeworthy, but perhaps that's because I've been accustomed to the fan culture in some European soccer games, so the "viking clap" doesn't really measure up. Youtube Ultras and you'll see what I mean.

A start though I guess..
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

^^^
"Cringeworthy" ... really ?

Ultras .. yup can understand why they need a fence around the playing field
Last edited by Raidersfan on August 24, 2016, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't post facts
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

As a follower of the A-league in the off season, I have long wished the NRL would improve its fan participation like this. Its a great addition to the game day experience, and things like this will draw part time fans to games to experience the theater of it themselves.

Given this first installment had very little preparation (I'll bet 18,800 pax weren't all on facebook or the GH) and given a large majority of fans had no idea what the viking clap was to start with, I think it was an absolutely awesome first attempt. I was trying to explain to people around me in the stands what to do before hand, no one near me had even seen it before. It is definitely something we should continue with, but a few points for improvement are

-The team must be involved somehow. Im sure all involved could feel the vibe generated when the entire stadium was in unison, and I thought it was a massive waste to have both teams in the sheds when it happened. This clap has to be more unsettling than the Hakka.

-I dont think minimum numbers should be an issue, the below video shows how Iceland made it work in an away bay during the Euros, and it was still moving and powerful. Something to think about for our away Finals.

-It doesn't necessarily need a drum, but a leader. Again, the video shows the team leading the crowd in the clap. I could see Blake leading this, and man, it would have to pump the boys up in such a massive way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVq0MrmezpI

Edit - video has been disabled for viewing on other platforms, so you need to follow the link.
Last edited by Coastalraider on August 24, 2016, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Ole rusty coming in here swinging around his sad sack. If you dont like the clap you can geeerrt eerrrt
Dont delete this GE
luke
John Ferguson

Post by luke »

being more like European football fans not really a good direction, I'm thinking
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

Good post CR .. some points

I can't see how the players can get involved. They warm up and are back in the sheds for last minute instructions. At the end of the game people tend to rush to their cars and head home.

I think a minimum number of 15k is required at a ground like Bruce where the crowed spreads out .. unlike the enclosed stadiums in Europe. When we get an enclosed stadium you can reduce the number to 10k and I think it will be easier to organise. I'm sure that when we get the indoor stadium crowds of 15 - 20k will be the norm at Raiders games. The game on the weekend did not exceed 20k due to the weather (families like the Pigs would have stayed home).
I don't post facts
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

I'm hopeful that the last two crowds at Bruce and the Viking-Clap "event" will encourage the ACT Government to proceed with the Indoor Stadium development sooner than later. I'm really hopeful of a PPP to get the project going.
I don't post facts
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

rusty83 wrote:I thought it was a bit cringeworthy, but perhaps that's because I've been accustomed to the fan culture in some European soccer games, so the "viking clap" doesn't really measure up. Youtube Ultras and you'll see what I mean.

A start though I guess..
:lol: piss taker.

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Raidersfan wrote:Good post CR .. some points

I can't see how the players can get involved. They warm up and are back in the sheds for last minute instructions. At the end of the game people tend to rush to their cars and head home.

I think a minimum number of 15k is required at a ground like Bruce where the crowed spreads out .. unlike the enclosed stadiums in Europe. When we get an enclosed stadium you can reduce the number to 10k and I think it will be easier to organise. I'm sure that when we get the indoor stadium crowds of 15 - 20k will be the norm at Raiders games. The game on the weekend did not exceed 20k due to the weather (families like the Pigs would have stayed home).
Hi RF, By involved they dont necessarily need to lead, but at the very least be present when it happens. Hell, Victor could lead it, or someone from the club as we did on the weekend, but it seemed such a waste to create that atmosphere and the boys not even witness it. Can you imagine being a travelling team witnessing that from the pitch? Bloodyt hell, you might as well just get back on the bus!

But if the team were to lead it, I would picture something similar to the Wanderers post game celebration (thats the only time you will hear me talk positively of those goons!@). Due to the fact the fans KNOW there is something coming up after the game, they hang around to be involved.

Ideal situation is for a full house to do the clap as the team are running on to the field awaiting kickoff - but if it is to become a signature raiders thing, we need to figure a way to do it both away and at home, and figure a way to do it with a crowd of under 15000, otherwise it will fade away as a short term novelty. These were just some ideas to try to keep it going.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Now that's a great idea! Players to lead it on the eastern side as a victory celebration! The fans there would definitely gather by the fence for it.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

greeneyed wrote:Now that's a great idea! Players to lead it on the eastern side as a victory celebration! The fans there would definitely gather by the fence for it.
I hope the fence is stronger than those at Penrith Park.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

reptar wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Now that's a great idea! Players to lead it on the eastern side as a victory celebration! The fans there would definitely gather by the fence for it.
I hope the fence is stronger than those at Penrith Park.
Great scenes :lol:

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Coastalraider wrote:As a follower of the A-league in the off season, I have long wished the NRL would improve its fan participation like this. Its a great addition to the game day experience, and things like this will draw part time fans to games to experience the theater of it themselves.

Given this first installment had very little preparation (I'll bet 18,800 pax weren't all on facebook or the GH) and given a large majority of fans had no idea what the viking clap was to start with, I think it was an absolutely awesome first attempt. I was trying to explain to people around me in the stands what to do before hand, no one near me had even seen it before. It is definitely something we should continue with, but a few points for improvement are

-The team must be involved somehow. Im sure all involved could feel the vibe generated when the entire stadium was in unison, and I thought it was a massive waste to have both teams in the sheds when it happened. This clap has to be more unsettling than the Hakka.

-I dont think minimum numbers should be an issue, the below video shows how Iceland made it work in an away bay during the Euros, and it was still moving and powerful. Something to think about for our away Finals.

-It doesn't necessarily need a drum, but a leader. Again, the video shows the team leading the crowd in the clap. I could see Blake leading this, and man, it would have to pump the boys up in such a massive way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVq0MrmezpI

Edit - video has been disabled for viewing on other platforms, so you need to follow the link.
By Blake, do you mean Ragnar Lothbrok?
I feel he may have gone the way of Samson.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

hahaha YES! I was up just off the top right of that photo. god, I can only remember Sandor's try and Campo's try from that game...