All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Boyd, Leilua, Paulo named in NSW Emerging Blues squad

Post by Matt »

Peter Sterling to pick NSW emerging camp

Peter Sterling's first job as NSW State of Origin adviser will be to help canvas the next generation of Blues talents for the annual emerging camp in late January.

Kangaroos Shannon Boyd and Jake Trbojevic, Jake's brother Tom, Bryce Cartwright, Ryan James and Joseph Leilua are all expected to take part.

Read more: http://www.nrl.com/peter-sterling-to-pi ... fault.aspx
Matt
Don Furner

Re: Boyd and Leilua on Sterling's radar for NSW emerging SOO c

Post by Matt »

Pretty sure both Leilua and Stuart didn't take kindly to a 'development' tag. So this should be interesting.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Boyd and Leilua on radar for NSW emerging SOO camp

Post by greeneyed »

Boyd's a Kangaroos Test player!
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

They are **** themselves if they dont pick boyd.

Also Leilua or Croker barring a **** start one of which you would think will get selected.

tbh though we want a good origin period so i am happy for laurie to snub us.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

You could add Paulo, Croker and arguably Wighton to the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

RTW wrote:You could add Paulo, Croker and arguably Wighton to the list.

And Sezer and Austin

In Ricky We Trust
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

If Boyd doesn't play Origin they(Daley&Sterling) are clearly having a lend....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Pretty pointless having C Vs C when there are all these development camps anyway. Glad they're scrapping it.

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

The only thing that would make more sense than these guys being picked in the emerging origin camp would be to hand out gold stars and a certificate of participation.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Tell the two big noses to jam it like Jordan.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

But for injury or a massive reversal in form, all of the NSW players in the Australian squad should be Origin bound in 2017. NSW will be a match for Qld in the forwards and backs, but as usual countering the trick shots of the Qld spine will take some doing. They can put opportunities on either with structure or instinct. Early season form will be crucial to see who partners Maloney in the halves.

Hooker will also be interesting. I didn't think Peter Wallace would be able to play at the level he did for Penrith last year. He has more big game experience than Peats. But whoever they pick they won't be a match for Smith so it may as well be someone who will make few errors and provide opportunity to the outside men by not hogging the ball like Farah.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Pearce will partner Maloney. They love him.

I'm not sure I've ever heard Sterlo praise Peats. While I'd still take Wallace right now, I reckon Farah will have his "new lease of life" and thus "deserve his chance".

And NSW will lose again, 2-1.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I'm the first guy to throw some hate at Wobbie, but I also can see a possibility that this move might change how he approaches his game, and he forms a decent partnership with Adam Reynolds, giving us our Blues pairing.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Coastalraider wrote:I'm the first guy to throw some hate at Wobbie, but I also can see a possibility that this move might change how he approaches his game, and he forms a decent partnership with Adam Reynolds, giving us our Blues pairing.
Yes, but Reynolds will get passed over for Pearce! The decent partnership will be for the Rabbitohs, not the Blues.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Emerging? Wankers.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

The Emerging Camp didn't work out too well for QLD this year.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Good to see a team that has been flogged for a decade has the chutzpah to name internationals in their "emerging" talent squad.

Idiots.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

This whole thing would be fine if they changed the name to extended squad camp. Using emerging in the title belittles any player who isn't 20 years old.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The 17 players Peter Sterling should select for the NSW Blues emerging Origin camp

4. JOSEPH LEILUA

For years Leilua has been on the cusp of breaking into the Blues side. The 2016 centre of the year, the Samoan representative was 19th man for the Blues back in 2012 at the age of 20.

8. SHANNON BOYD

This selection is a given. As sure as the sun will rise in the morning, the Canberra wrecking ball will don the sky blue next year providing he is fit and healthy.

16. JUNIOR PAULO

He played for the NSW under 20s side back in 2013 but it’s only since leaving Parramatta for Canberra that Paulo has really asserted himself as a serious player for the future.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state-o ... mpaign=crm
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Croker still doesn't get a mention.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Emerging Origin should be guys coming into their first, maybe second season of first grade. It should be a reward for a break out season not some meaningless, tokenistic exercise to justify having full-time coaches and paid selectors for a 3 game series.

For 10 year NSW has tried to build combinations and look to the future but it's the wrong approach IMO. They need to base their selections, first and foremost on form.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Lui_Bon wrote:Pearce will partner Maloney. They love him.

I'm not sure I've ever heard Sterlo praise Peats. While I'd still take Wallace right now, I reckon Farah will have his "new lease of life" and thus "deserve his chance".

And NSW will lose again, 2-1.
Maloney will be halfback with either Hayne or Moylan five-eighth.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

greeneyed wrote:The 17 players Peter Sterling should select for the NSW Blues emerging Origin camp

4. JOSEPH LEILUA

For years Leilua has been on the cusp of breaking into the Blues side. The 2016 centre of the year, the Samoan representative was 19th man for the Blues back in 2012 at the age of 20.

8. SHANNON BOYD

This selection is a given. As sure as the sun will rise in the morning, the Canberra wrecking ball will don the sky blue next year providing he is fit and healthy.

16. JUNIOR PAULO

He played for the NSW under 20s side back in 2013 but it’s only since leaving Parramatta for Canberra that Paulo has really asserted himself as a serious player for the future.

QLD would put 50 on that side.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It's downright embarrassing for a Kangaroos player with five Tests under his belt to be invited to "an emerging Blues" camp. It's ridiculous. Same for a 24 year old who was the centre of the year in 2016.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
greeneyed wrote:The 17 players Peter Sterling should select for the NSW Blues emerging Origin camp

4. JOSEPH LEILUA

8. SHANNON BOYD

16. JUNIOR PAULO

QLD would put 50 on that side.
True, but to be fair as good as Boyd, Leilua and Paulo are, they are only 3 players.

magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

I don't get all the love for moses. From what I've seen he's got a long way to go before I'd consider him for origin.
Austin would be ahead of him if I was selecting the squad. If Blakes form is good leading into this origin series I'd reckon he's a good chance of a bench spot.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I thought Moses finally started showing what all the hype is about second half of this year. Still had the odd shocker, like against us, but I consider him a true emerging Blue.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

EJ wrote:I thought Moses finally started showing what all the hype is about second half of this year. Still had the odd shocker, like against us, but I consider him a true emerging Blue.
I wouldn't be considering anyone an emerging Origin player who can't tackle.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

These are the selections I agree with:
T. Trbojevic - young, skilful, has the potential.
Mitchell - can totally see the GI comparison, however, he looks to have the niggling injuries too
French - Can see the talent. However, we know what happens to small guys at SOO level.
Cleary - Gun! Super Gun! Was extremely impressed with him last yr. Needs another big yr though.
Cartwright - Was the development player last yr (instead of BJ), so is probably ok to stay in the emerging bracket for this yr. Oh...and a gun (not guns only attack, no shield attached :-P)!
Peachey - Has probably been around long enough not to be on the list, but at the same time, really only came into his own this yr.
Funicane - Like Peachey, probably shouldn't be on the list due to time in FG, but really only stepped up in the last 18 months or so.
McLean - Was very good for the Strom last yr. The McKinnon accident was a potential career ending moment mentally, and he came through it.
RCG - Another probably on the cusp of 'emerging' status. I think he was better last yr TBH, but a solid player.

Don't agree:
Roberts - He was good in like 4 games last yr. He is fast, that's it. Croker gives him a bath every time they play against each other.
Leilua - Centre of the yr isn't 'emerging'. He also turned down the 'development' tag last yr (FWIW, Croker shouldn't be in an emerging camp either).
Moses - 8 good games in 2016, does not a player make. Lets see him produce that same form all of next yr. Ill admit that he has improved considerably since coming into the NRL.
Boyd - Has 5 Test caps, NOT emerging.
Peats - How many yrs in the league is he now? 5? Has been the 'heir apparent' for a while, not sure he will be though.
James - NOT emerging. Prop of the yr in 2016 wasn't he?
J. Trbojevic - 1, 2, 3? Test caps, same as Boyd.
Jr Paulo - The guy has about a dozen Samoan caps, NOT emerging.
bleedgreen99
Brett Mullins

Post by bleedgreen99 »

julian87 wrote:
EJ wrote:I thought Moses finally started showing what all the hype is about second half of this year. Still had the odd shocker, like against us, but I consider him a true emerging Blue.
I wouldn't be considering anyone an emerging Origin player who can't tackle.
Isn't that what a development camp is for? Oh right emerging now means "complete package, just hasn't played origin yet"
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Based on 2016 form and Four nations selection:

Forwards: Woods, Boyd, Klemmer, Merrin, Cordner, J. Trbojevic, Frizell - Additional options Paulo, Tamou + hooker Peats/Wallace. I've left out Fifita because he has been dropped from the Australian side. I would not have Farah in the side. Laurie showed a lot of loyalty to him, but he is no longer at this level imo.

Backs: Tedesco (surely), Ferguson, BJ, Dugan, Morris, Maloney, Jack Bird - Mansour injured, Jennings not enough involvement. Moylan possibly on the bench given he can play a number of spots. Hayne may be an option but it depends where his form and head is at around selection time.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Joey would be massive for the Blues. What centre or any player in the NRL can create something out of nothing like Leilua can? He's on another level to everyone else.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

There would have to be half a dozen halves infront of Moses. Nowhere near SOO level IMO.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Boyd and Leilua on radar for NSW emerging SOO camp

Post by Sid »

Jnr Paulo added to the emerging NSW squad. Mightn't have been on there first time around due to his boxing training regime.

2017 Emerging VB Blues Squad

NSW VB Blues coach Laurie Daley and his Origin adviser Peter Sterling have unveiled the Emerging Blues squad for 2017.

A 13-man squad, a smaller group than in previous years, will assemble in January ahead of the 2017 season.

Daley said the squad was an impressive one, possessing players who will each likely challenge for VB Blues spots in the upcoming Origin series.

“The Emerging VB Blues squad is an exciting group full of talented players,” Daley said.

“Each of the players has a realistic chance of making the Origin team for 2017 and we look forward to working with them and learning more about them during our camp in January.”

The 2017 Emerging NSW VB Blues Squad is:

Shannon Boyd (Canberra Raiders)
Reagan Campbell-Gillard (Penrith Panthers)
Bryce Cartwright (Penrith Panthers)
Nathan Cleary (Penrith Panthers)
Ryan James (Gold Coast Titans)
Joey Leilua (Canberra Raiders)
Jordan McLean (Melbourne Storm)
Latrell Mitchell (Sydney Roosters)
Junior Paulo (Canberra Raiders)
Nathan Peats (Gold Coast Titans)
James Roberts (Brisbane Broncos)
Jake Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
Tom Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)

Origin tickets, as well as The Star-backed Blatchys Blues memberships, are now on sale. Visit http://www.NSWRL.com.au for more information.

Read more: http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2016/12/07 ... vb_bl.html

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

How did Croker miss out? Last years excuse of no big game experience is a bit out of date now.