Post by greeneyed »

2017 Rd 4 V Brisbane Broncos: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Brisbane Broncos
Friday 24 March 8:05pm AEDT 7:05pm local
Lang Park
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League live Channel 502, Nine
Radio: ABC, 2CC
Weather: Partly cloudy. High (70%) chance of showers. Light winds. Max 30 Min 22

Round 3 2107. A big 46-6 win over the Wests Tigers and the Raiders are suddenly no longer on the bottom of the ladder, but are in the top eight. It was the sort of result that the team and fans needed. Eight tries to one. It was a real fillip for team confidence and we saw the re-emergence of some 2016 attacking form. The Wests Tigers had a good game plan and it was working well in the first half. But once the Raiders scored two quick tries just before half time, the spirit of the Wests Tigers' in defence was broken. From that point on they were shot ducks.

2017 Round 3 Canberra Raiders V Wests Tigers

More on Round 3: As I saw it

The Raiders head to Brisbane in Round 4 to face the Broncos - and they have named an unchanged team 1-17. The only change in the squad of 21 is the surprise inclusion of Joe Tapine (broken finger). It had been expected that he would not return until Round 6-7, but he must be rated some chance to be fit - otherwise coach Ricky Stuart would not have named him in the squad. It at least gives Stuart the option of making Tapine a late inclusion.

Canberra Raiders junior Tevita Pangai Jnr is the only change for the Broncos top 17, named on the bench. Benji Marshall drops back to the Brisbane reserves list. Half Anthony Milford is another Raiders junior in the Broncos squad.

Jarrod Croker is on a significant potential milestone: with one more try, he will have scored 100 career tries in first grade.

Late changes: For the Raiders, Dunamis Lui and Scott Sorensen are the two players to drop out on match eve. It suggests Joe Tapine is still a chance of a late inclusion... or that the lineup 1-17 is very settled. The Broncos have indicated they are likely to line up 1-17... and have dropped Benji Marshall and Jonus Pearson from their squad of 21.

Matt's Match-ups: Which players and which team win the skins?

Franko's Five: Five things the Canberra Raiders should do to beat the Brisbane Broncos

History: In the nineties, the Raiders and Broncos were major rivals, but no longer. Canberra has won just 19 of 49 matches against Brisbane and drawn one. In the last 10 matches, Canberra has won four - but lost the last three straight. The Raiders have won just four times in 16 matches at Lang Park - in 1988, 1995, 2004 and 2010. Canberra also won just once in six matches at QEII Stadium. It's not a great record in the northern State capital.

2016 Round 14 Canberra Raiders V Brisbane Broncos

2015 Round 12 Canberra Raiders V Brisbane Broncos

So in this week's "History Happens", we recall one of the Raiders' best - and one of the few - wins at Lang Park - a Round 26 match in 2010 which cemented a finals place for Canberra, and sent the Broncos off to celebrate their Mad Monday. What a night!

2000 Round 17 Canberra Raiders V Wests Tigers

Form: The Raiders have a WLLLW record in the last five matches; the Broncos a WLWLL form line. The Broncos started the season with a win over the 2015 premiers at Cronulla, but lost to the Cowboys in a tough golden point match at home. They then suffered a narrow two point loss to the Storm in Melbourne in Round 3.

Betting: The Broncos are clear favourites in this match, paying $1.65; the Raiders $2.25. Canberra has a 3.5 points start.

Our tip: Both teams are on two competition points, the Raiders in eighth and the Broncos in ninth, on points differential. And while both have lost two matches, the Broncos have the more consistent form - losing by two points or less.

It's difficult to discern statistical trends after just three rounds, but there are a few points to highlight. While the Raiders are now top two in attack, and are averaging 26 points and five tries per match - but most of that is down to the big win over the Wests Tigers. Brisbane has looked more solid in defence than Canberra. The Broncos have conceded around 18 points per match, while the Raiders have conceded 23 points per match. Brisbane has also made fewer errors per match (10-12 per match) and are completing at 78 per cent - compared to a 71 per cent completion rate for Canberra. Finally, Brisbane has been making more running metres (1674m-1401m per match) and kicking metres (570m-329m per match) than the Green Machine.

The Raiders will need to cut the silly errors and penalties and lift the completions. If they can, and win the battle up front, it will give the opportunity for the Raiders' backs to unleash.

On the other side of the coin, we can expect that Brisbane will play it tight, minimise errors, complete sets and kick long. They will try to force the Canberra big men to work hard in defence, put them on the back foot and tire them out. The plan will be to grind and capitalise on mistakes.

The Raiders will already be tired because of a five day turnaround - while the Broncos have had eight days to prepare. Coach Ricky Stuart has said the Raiders will likely have only one training session before the game. One thing in Canberra's favour is that the Broncos have had a tough start to the season - and would have expended a lot of energy in their past two games.

But when you add in the advantage of a big home crowd at Lang Park - and the associated flow of penalties - it is going to be a very difficult night for Canberra. The heart says the Raiders, but the head says Broncos by six. Hopefully, the Raiders prove that wrong!

What they're saying:

Blake Austin on Canberra's five day turnaround: "I'd play three games in a week if they asked me to. It wasn't long ago we were kids and playing three and four games on a Saturday backing up for any team you could. For myself it's not a very big issue and we just go out there and play a game of footy."

Jordan Rapana on the Broncos: "I'm hoping that it's going to take off from here [the Wests Tigers victory] and we're going to be better next week. They're a quality team [the Broncos]. If we hand over the ball as much as we did against the Tigers when we're playing teams like the Broncos or Sharks, quality teams, it's definitely going to cost us so we've got to be better in that area."

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton 2. Nick Cotric 3. Jarrod Croker (C) 4. Joey Leilua 5. Jordan Rapana 6. Blake Austin 7. Aidan Sezer 8. Junior Paulo 9. Josh Hodgson 10. Shannon Boyd 11. Josh Papalii 12. Elliott Whitehead 13. Luke Bateman

14. Adam Clydsdale 15. Sia Soliola 16. Clay Priest 17. Dave Taylor

18. Jordan Turner 22. Joe Tapine

Brisbane Broncos

1. Darius Boyd C 2. Corey Oates 3. James Roberts 4. Tautau Moga 5. Jordan Kahu 6. Anthony Milford 7. Ben Hunt 8. Korbin Sims 9. Andrew McCullough 10. Adam Blair 11. Sam Thaiday 12. Matt Gillett 13. Josh McGuire

14. Alex Glenn 15. Tevita Pangai 16. Herman Ese’ese 17. Jai Arrow

19. George Fai 20. David Mead

Officials:

Referees: Ashley Klein, Adam Gee
Sideline Officials: Brett Suttor, Nick Morel
Video Referees: Bernard Sutton, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLBroncosRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2017 #FromAllAngles

NSW Premiership teams: Click here
Holden Cup teams: Click here

Follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum, Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2017 Rd 4 V Brisbane Broncos: Game Day

Post by -PJ- »

It's on boys and girls.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Is Tapine a chance of playing? Hasn't dropped out of the squad yet.

If he does it would freshen the pack up nicely. Priest played big minutes last week to allow Batmen and Boyd a rest so he would surely be the one to drop out.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Game day! It's just a shame there's a day of work to get through before this one. Come on raiders! Smash those donkeys!
Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by Jake »

I'm in Italy and will be watching this at 10am :) happy days.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

At the local cafe I go to every morning in Brisbane the chef just streamed the Green machine song through the cafes speakers!

Going to be a good day!

(No highway to hell)

always bleed green
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by always bleed green »

I'm a shift worker and was originally working 2p-10p. I changed my shift to 6a-2p just so I can watch the game. I'm always changing my shift around the raiders. Don't think I've ever changed shifts or took sickies for my family. God dammit I love the raiders, I live and work QLD, am copping a lot of crap for this game but am very confident we will get up. Go u green machine
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day......YES!!!!! Go the Raiders!!!!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

It feels super weird being a work and game day today.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Green_Hammock wrote:It feels super weird being a work and game day today.
I know! It's tough dressing for work and raiders game day all in one

Full day at work then pizza and TV !

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Vaccinated
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Jake wrote:I'm in Italy and will be watching this at 10am :) happy days.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
The single most interesting post I've read in eons, now where abouts in Italy??
This place is woke.
The_Green_Hope
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by The_Green_Hope »

RTW wrote:At the local cafe I go to every morning in Brisbane the chef just streamed the Green machine song through the cafes speakers!

Going to be a good day!

(No highway to hell)

What a great story! We do have a lot of support in Brisbane that many might not realise exists.

Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde

Post by Green_Hammock »

cat wrote:
Green_Hammock wrote:It feels super weird being a work and game day today.
I know! It's tough dressing for work and raiders game day all in one

Full day at work then pizza and TV !

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
You have also just described my day and evening!
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

I'd love for Tapine to play but if he's better off with an extra week or two recovery I'd rather not take the chance. As long as we cut out errors and complete sets this team can beat the Broncos any day of the week

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Game day you 3 inch Hillary Clinton supporters!

Can we please stop dropping the ball? Thanks Raiders.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

The bronx might be pretty riled up over kent calling Bennett a liar and milford a lazy fatty. Queenslanders have a chip on their shoulders at the best of times.

So we cant start like we did against the tigers.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Not confident. With the 5 day turn around and still seeming a bit prone to dumb errors / being slow starters this early in the season we might struggle. Still, hope I'm wrong!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Yeah I'm already cranky about this match and it hasn't even been played yet.
Already looking forward to the press conference more than the game.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Preview now updated for reduced squads for both teams.
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

I think the boys might lift for this one. Aside from when we play the Tigers obviously we only tend to blow or let it get close with teams at the lower end of the ladder. At full strength we lifted for the big games last year. Even against the Broncs last year before we got on our roll and without Wighton we only lost by 8 points

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Green Jamey
Dean Lance

Post by Green Jamey »

Azza wrote:Not confident. With the 5 day turn around and still seeming a bit prone to dumb errors / being slow starters this early in the season we might struggle. Still, hope I'm wrong!
I'm with you.
We've been quite poor this far, and need to improve significantly to win tonight

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
jozzas
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by jozzas »

Get to go along tonight, should be good. Pre-drinks at Caxton hotel and then in the away supporters bay (of course). I just hope they put in a good performance.
Ginga
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Ginga »

I have quite the dilemma regarding tonight's game as it's my 5th wedding anniversary today and I'm not sure how to get through a romantic dinner whilst simultaneously watching the game and avoiding a divorce...
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde

Post by Green_Hammock »

greeneyed wrote:Preview now updated for reduced squads for both teams.
Looks like a good ol fashion smoke screen with Tapine to come in.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Not confident at all for this game.

5 day turn around is never good especially not when you have to play the Broncos up at Suncorp on a Friday night.

If we don't start well, I think this will get ugly real quick.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Ginga wrote:I have quite the dilemma regarding tonight's game as it's my 5th wedding anniversary today and I'm not sure how to get through a romantic dinner whilst simultaneously watching the game and avoiding a divorce...
Sorry to hear that mate.

What can I say though? Five years was a pretty good effort Image
Ginga
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Ginga »

gangrenous wrote:
Ginga wrote:I have quite the dilemma regarding tonight's game as it's my 5th wedding anniversary today and I'm not sure how to get through a romantic dinner whilst simultaneously watching the game and avoiding a divorce...
Sorry to hear that mate.

Hahahahaha, hopefully I get full custody of the TV
gilby_gillard
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker, 2019 team

Post by gilby_gillard »

James Hooper on twitter

LATEST: Looks like big in for @RaidersCanberra tonight with Joe Tapine set to force his way into the final 17 @FOXNRL @FOXSportsNews

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

While I like Priest long term the notion on here that he played big minutes last week to preserve Bateman, Boyd and the other middle third boys is probably correct...and smart coaching.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
dreaming09
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sami Sauiluma

Post by dreaming09 »

Dave Taylor had his girls with him this morning, really happy that all is working out for him thus far.
''It's probably the greatest collection of brain explosions ever been created in a game of first-grade football,'' McIntyre said.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

We need to be at our best early as I can see Soliola, Tapine (assuming he plays) and Taylor causing the Broncos a heap of trouble when they come on. Discipline is key - hold the ball and work hard in the ruck while defending to eliminate as many of the bulls**t penalties the Broncos will be awarded as possible. Leilua and Rapana need to run from dummy half as much as possible from our end.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Going to the game tonight with 14 people. 3 raiders 4neutral 7 boncos. Can't wait to see the looks on the boncos supporters faces when I tell them I bought our tickets in the away supporters bay.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Ginga wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
Sorry to hear that mate.

Hahahahaha, hopefully I get full custody of the TV
Easy, just say the restaurant had a problem and had to rebook you for tomorrow night!

Either that or media black out until you can watch a recording of the game, it's not worth getting divorced over the Raiders getting shafted by the refs for 80 minutes!
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

always bleed green wrote:I'm a shift worker and was originally working 2p-10p. I changed my shift to 6a-2p just so I can watch the game. I'm always changing my shift around the raiders. Don't think I've ever changed shifts or took sickies for my family. God dammit I love the raiders, I live and work QLD, am copping a lot of crap for this game but am very confident we will get up. Go u green machine
It's like looking into a mirror. You just described me.lol
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Would be very astute coaching from Stuart if he has managed the game time of the forwards well in the knowledge Tarpine would likely be back this week. If he does play the pack better keep an eye on the king of the grubs, no doubt he will be looking for the thumb in the first tackle.

I don't mind watching the Raiders like this, full expectation of losing but stoked if they win!