Post by greeneyed »

2017 Rd 9 V Bulldogs: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Canterbury Bulldogs
Saturday 29 April 5:30pm, Gates open 3:10pm, NSW Premiership 3:15pm
Stadium Australia
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League live Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC
Weather: Sunny. Light winds becoming south to southeasterly 15 to 20 km/h in the late afternoon then turning west to southwesterly in the late evening. Chance of any rain: 10 per cent. Possible rainfall: 0 mm. Max 23 Min 11

Round 8 2017. A 20-18 loss in golden point. That's two golden point losses this season and a one point loss. In eight matches that's more close losses than you'd like. The Sea Eagles came with a plan to hold the ball, force repeat sets, slow down the play and kick for the touchlines to keep the ball out of the hands of the Raiders' back three. And the plan worked. They forced the Raiders to get in the grind - and while the Raiders may be in the process of learning how to win the grinding matches, they're not fully comfortable doing it at the moment.

2017 Round 8 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

More on Round 8: As I saw it

The Raiders head to Sydney for the first time in 2017, taking on the Canterbury Bulldogs at Stadium Australia. Clay Priest (shoulder) returns on the bench for the Raiders, with Dunamis Lui dropping back to the reserves list. There's still no sign of Dave Taylor in the Raiders NRL or Mounties squads. For the Bulldogs, Will Hopoate (fractured cheekbone) has been included as a reserve. Former Canberra Raiders junior Matt Frawley is not named in the 17, but it is likely he will again take a bench spot. Brenko Lee is another former Raider lining up for the Bulldogs.

Late changes: Josh Papalii will play in the match after being found guilty on Thursday of a drink driving offence that took place early this year. He has been axed from the Kangaroos squad for the Anzac Test and will meet with the Raiders board on Monday regarding any further penalties. Makahesi Makatoa and Lachlan Croker have been omitted from the Raiders squad of 21.

Des Hasler confirmed on Friday afternoon that Will Hopoate (eye socket fracture) will return at fullback. Francis Tualau and Reimis Smith have dropped out of the Dogs' 21 man squad.

Matt's Match-ups: Click here

Franko's Five: Click here

History: The Canberra Raiders have won 28 of 66 matches against the Canterbury Bulldogs, around a 40 per cent win rate. Despite that, Canberra has won five of the last 10 games between the clubs - and they have a good record against the Bulldogs at Stadium Australia, winning five of the nine matches between the clubs at the venue. However, Canberra has not faced Canterbury at Homebush since 2011. In addition, Canberra has won just 11 of 31 matches against the Bulldogs in Sydney.

Canberra won both clashes in 2016 - a 22-8 win in Round 5 at a Belmore Sports Ground and a 32-20 victory in Round 12 at Canberra Raiders. The Raiders showed promise of what was to come last season in both matches. In particular, the match at Belmore showed the Raiders could deal with an intimidating environment and dominate an opposition forward pack with great defence.

2016 Round 5 Canberra Raiders V Canterbury Bulldogs

2016 Round 12 Canberra Raiders V Canterbury Bulldogs

In this week's "History Happens", let's choose the obvious game... the 1994 Grand Final! That was a win in Sydney!

1990 Round 9 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

Form: The Raiders have a LWWWL record in the last five matches - and the Bulldogs have exactly the same form line. Canterbury lost to the Wests Tigers at home last weekend in a close match, 18-12 - after the scores were locked at 12-12 with four minutes remaining. In the previous three weeks, they have beaten the Rabbitohs and Knights - but also some tougher opponents in the Broncos.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.48 favourites; the Bulldogs are paying $2.75. Canterbury has six points start.

Stat attack: The Raiders and Bulldogs both have a 4-4 record from the opening eight rounds of the season - with Canberra ahead on the ladder by virtue of their points differential. The Raiders' strength in attack continues, averaging 25 points and 4.4 tries per match. The Bulldogs have averaged just 15 points per match in 2017, and 2.9 tries.

The Raiders average 49 per cent possession - slightly worse than the Bulldogs (51 per cent). Both teams have a completion rate of 75 per cent - and average over 10 errors per match - and neither Ricky Stuart nor Des Hasler are probably happy with that. In terms of discipline, both teams concede around 6.5 penalties per match - and receive more than most (about 7.5 penalties per match).

The Bulldogs make more running metres (1555-1530 metres per match) - but there is not much in it. Canterbury has a more decided advantage in kicking metres (455-384 metres per match). Canberra does, however, make more tackle breaks (31-21 per match), line breaks (3.9-3.4 per match), and produces more try assists (3.3-2.0 per match).

The two teams are close to level pegging in defence - if anything, the Bulldogs have a slight advantage. The Raiders concede an average of 18 points per match (three tries) compared to 17 (a little less than three tries) for the Bulldogs. They both concede around 1360 metres per match. Canberra concedes 3.1 line breaks per match, the Bulldogs 2.6, the Raiders also miss a handful more tackles per match (27-22).

Our tip: Canberra is currently second favourite to win the 2017 premiership - but to be blunt, they are not playing like it. The goal line defence is definitely improving, and the coach and team are confident that they're in the process of learning how to win the tough, close matches. The sort of matches they'll need to win at the end of the season. But they'll need to start winning these close tussles, soon.

In this one, attack is the area where the Raiders have the clearest advantage. I say it repeatedly: if they concentrate, complete their sets, the Raiders should have too much strike for the Bulldogs.

The worry is that teams like the Sharks and Sea Eagles have shown the rest of the competition how to beat Canberra. Get off the line "quickly", be prepared to give penalties away for standing off side - particularly on the edges - slow down the play and kick for the sidelines. The Bulldogs are the sort of team that will be quite prepared to employ similar tactics.

No doubt the Canberra brains trust will have the tactics ready to counteract it. They will need to avoid becoming frustrated. They let the Manly niggle get the better of them last week - and they can't fall for that one again. The pack will need to stand up and be counted - and make metres up the middle of the park before the play makers spread it. Josh Papalii and Junior Paulo are doing a heap of work, but the pack as a whole will need to lift against a big Bulldogs outfit. We know they can do it, and I'm tipping they will. But it will be a very rugged affair. Raiders by four.

What they're saying:

Junior Paulo on the Bulldogs team: "They've got a big forward pack as well and a lot of strike power across the the park, so it will be a job for us middles to hold ourselves accountable for whatever happens because without our go forward the backs aren't able to do their job."

Blake Austin: "I think it's fair to say we're really comfortable with where we're at so far this season, we were heading into [the Manly] game to go four in a row and it went all the way. Manly had to play some really good footy to beat us, so in terms of confidence nothing has changed there and we're really excited to take on the Bulldogs."

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton 2. Nick Cotric 3. Jarrod Croker c 4. Joey Leilua 5. Jordan Rapana 6. Blake Austin 7. Aidan Sezer 8. Junior Paulo 9. Josh Hodgson 10. Shannon Boyd 11. Josh Papalii 12. Elliott Whitehead 13. Joe Tapine

14. Adam Clydsdale 15. Luke Bateman 16. Clay Priest 17. Sia Soliola

18. Dunamis Lui 19. Scott Sorensen 20. Makahesi Makatoa 21. Lachlan Croker

Canterbury Bulldogs

1. Brett Morris 2. Kerrod Holland 3. Josh Morris 4. Brenko Lee 5. Marcelo Montoya 6. Josh Reynolds 7. Moses Mbye 8. Aiden Tolman 9. Michael Lichaa 10. James Graham 11. Josh Jackson 12. Greg Eastwood 13. David Klemmer

14. Sam Kasiano 15. Danny Fualalo 16. Adam Elliott 17. Raymond Faitala-Mariner

19. Francis Tualau 20. Matt Frawley 21. Reimis Smith 23. Will Hopoate

Players in light grey omitted.

Officials:

Referee: Henry Perenara; Assistant Referee: Chris James
Touch judges: Brett Suttor and Kasey Badger
Review Official: Ben Galea; Senior RO: Bernard Sutton

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLBulldogsRaiders
The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2017 #FromAllAngles

NSW Premiership teams: Click here
Holden Cup teams: Click here

Follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum, Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Re: 2017 Rd 9 V Bulldogs: Game Day

Post by Lucky »

Bulldogs $2.66..... Juicy odds, I'll take some of that
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Game day preview updated for team changes, weather, odds.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Expecting hoppa to give us a bath after being slagged in the other thread

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Game Day Mofo's ! Most important 2 points so far this season, Caaarn Raiders!
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Lucky wrote:Bulldogs $2.66..... Juicy odds, I'll take some of that
What a waist of money
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!!!! Go the Mighty Raiders!!!!!!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Game day, no excuses raiders, time to get the job done!
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Yep huge game for us after the heartbreak of last week and going into the break. C'mon boys, need this one.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Need 2pts here.

PJs health and well being depends on it.

Please God..(looks skyward)
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

A win we go 6th .. lose and its 10th .. snakes and ladders stuff at this stage of the season.

As they say you don't win the premiership in April but ..... losing those three close games gives us very little breathing room.

At the least we need to keep in touch with the top four .. more than achieving those ends up till last week and in fact would have finished 4th had we won ... it's not going to get much "easier" as this game in the next month.

GO YOU RAIDERS !!!
I don't post facts
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Raiders666 wrote:
Lucky wrote:Bulldogs $2.66..... Juicy odds, I'll take some of that
What a waist of money
I know he said juicy, but he probably won't eat the money.
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Green thumbs »

Game day! Weather looking good for footy. No excuses Raiders - please dont get distracted by the niggle that the Dogs love to dish out. Please hang onto the ball and dont make stupid, hot-headed mistakes. It's never too early to start winning, so Go Raiders! And bring back the two points.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

About to leave for Sydney! Let's go Raiders!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Bring a jacket , it will get a bit chilly come 530.

Clear skies and no cloud or wind here so far

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Vaccinated
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

cat wrote:Bring a jacket , it will get a bit chilly come 530.

A green jacket ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

-PJ- wrote:

A green jacket ?
Preferably but any raiders one will do , I find the retro jersey in a larger size than needed with layers underneath works well too

No beanie required but a scarf to wave is an option
Also pre pack food cause the food at anz makes gio taste five Michelin star cuisine

Vaccinated
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

The world is awash with red lines that can't be crossed. This game presents another one. The pups cannot be allowed to win if the Raiders's dream of a GF berth is to be kept alive.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

cat wrote:
-PJ- wrote:

A green jacket ?
Preferably but any raiders one will do , I find the retro jersey in a larger size than needed with layers underneath works well too

Also pre pack food cause the food at anz makes gio taste five Michelin star cuisine

It was warmer inside the ice rink* this morning than outside it, I think I'll be okay. I have my big Raiders jumper anyway.

Scarf is always a must + Raider beanie, and I'm bringing my famous** flag of course. Bread rolls have been loaded and packed. Let's ROLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* even before I warmed up. After practice it was definitely warmer inside than out.
** Both the Captain and Sezer made admiring comments about my flag. I think that qualifies it as famous.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:
-PJ- wrote:

A green jacket ?

Cold... Sydney?

Don't make me laugh

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

TW, Sydney maybe warmer in degrees than Canberra but trust me it feels colder!

I can be at a raiders game middle of winter fine, come back up to Sydney in the same clothes and 10 degrees warmer and shiver my bones down

Think it's cause Canberra is a dry cold and Sydney is moist and gets into your joints ....

Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

raiderskater wrote:
cat wrote:
-PJ- wrote:

A green jacket ?

It was warmer inside the ice rink* this morning than outside it, I think I'll be okay. I have my big Raiders jumper anyway.

Scarf is always a must + Raider beanie, and I'm bringing my famous** flag of course. Bread rolls have been loaded and packed. Let's ROLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* even before I warmed up. After practice it was definitely warmer inside than out.
** Both the Captain and Sezer made admiring comments about my flag. I think that qualifies it as famous.
Sounds perfect , I am seriously looking forward to a huge turn out of raiders fans today :)

Vaccinated
Mullins_y2k
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Mullins_y2k »

First game of the season for me today, going with a group of 5. Pumped common Raiders!
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Just got me a vintage UCLA track top from TKMAXX, won 200 on the polar bears and been following the boys in punters club all is good, Burleigh big head lager going down like a dream , I'm sensing a Raiders rogering tonight go you **** RAIDERS!!!
This place is woke.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There is a chilly breeze at the Stadium. All the Raiders Reserves playing Mounties, so I guess we are 1-17.

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Tiny crowd so far with an hour to kick off and I agree with GE, it's chilly

Kato going OK

Vaccinated
The Greenhouse

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of this evening's NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and Canterbury Bulldogs at the Olympic Stadium. The Raiders are 1-17, but Bateman will start. Here's the final line up:

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Junior Paulo
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Shannon Boyd
11. Josh Papalii
12. Elliott Whitehead
15. Luke Bateman
Interchange

13. Joe Tapine
14. Adam Clydsdale
16. Clay Priest
17. Sia Soliola

Canterbury Bulldogs

23. Will Hopoate
2. Kerrod Holland
3. Josh Morris
4. Brenko Lee
1. Brett Morris
6. Josh Reynolds
7. Moses Mbye
8. Aiden Tolman
9. Michael Lichaa
10. James Graham (c)
11. Josh Jackson
16. Adam Elliott
13. David Klemmer

12. Greg Eastwood
14. Sam Kasiano
15. Danny Fualalo
20. Matt Frawley
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

I'm fine with Bateman at starting lock. Bench looks slightly better that way.

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Much better balance i think.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

I like that they have broken up one of their winger centre pairs should leave room for some miscommunication

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2017 Rd 9 V Bulldogs: Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

cat wrote:Tiny crowd so far with an hour to kick off and I agree with GE, it's chilly

Kato going OK

It's not so bad! But then again I'm dressed warm Image

It's still for Olympic Park. Usually much windier than this here.
Last edited by gangrenous on April 29, 2017, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

CJR wrote:I'm fine with Bateman at starting lock. Bench looks slightly better that way.

Yeah, good call I think Image
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

CJR wrote:I'm fine with Bateman at starting lock. Bench looks slightly better that way.

Yeah, good call I think Image
CRR

Post by CRR »

please make it a good long weekend and give us a win
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

So Sezer says he needs to take on the line more, Ennis just said it... so is he gonna do it or