greeneyed
Don Furner

2017 Rd 14 V Penrith Panthers: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers
Saturday June 10 5:30pm
Carrington Park, Bathurst
Gates open: 2:00pm Group 10 A Grade Curtain Raiser: 2.30pm - Bathurst Panthers and Orange Hawks
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League live Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC
Weather: Shower or two. Cloudy. Winds southeasterly 20 to 30 km/h. Chance of any rain: 50 per cent. Possible rainfall: 0-8 mm Min 5 Max 14

Round 13 2017. It was 21-20. Another golden point loss. That is three this season. It was a second golden point loss to the Sea Eagles in a matter of weeks. The Raiders have also lost by a point in the final moments to the Broncos. That's eight competition points. It leaves the Raiders in ninth on the ladder, halfway through the competition, six competition points adrift of the top four. It was courageous to come back in the second half. But the team is not playing to its potential or capability. And the Raiders do have trouble winning close games.

2017 Round 13 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

More on Round 13: As I saw it

The Raiders head to the country town of Bathurst for a Penrith Panthers home game at Carrington Park. Both Shannon Boyd (knee) and Dunamis Lui (ACL) have been ruled out with injury - Lui for the whole season. Sia Soliola has been named at prop in place of Boyd, while Luke Bateman (thumb) returns at starting lock. Mounties forward, Royce Hunt, has been named to make his debut off the bench. Dave Taylor, Kurt Baptiste and Brent Naden are named on the extended bench - but all three are also named for Mounties. Scott Sorensen is the only reserve not named for Mounties, signalling he will again be 18th man.

The Panthers have made no changes to the team that defeated the Bulldogs last weekend.

Late changes: Adam Clydsdale and Brent Naden have been omitted from the Raiders squad of 21, with Kurt Baptiste included in the top 17 on the bench. Dave Taylor and Scott Sorensen remain on the reserves list. It looks like Sorensen will be the 18th man, while Taylor, if he plays, will turn out for Mounties. Sitaleki Akauola and Moses Leota have been omitted by the Panthers from their squad of 21.

Matt's Match-ups: Who wins the skins?

Franko's Five: Five things the Raiders should do to beat the Panthers

History: The Canberra Raiders have won 36 of 71 matches against the Penrith Panthers and drawn one. That's just over a 50 per cent win rate.

Canberra played Penrith three times in 2016, winning two of the three. They lost the clash played at Carrington Park in the corresponding match last year by a point, in controversial circumstances. However, at Canberra Stadium, the Green Machine produced a win in the heat in Round 2 and in Week 2 of the finals.

Canberra has won six of the last 10 matches between the clubs. The Raiders have won just 12 of 31 matches played at the home ground of the Panthers, Penrith Stadium - but Penrith has elected to play Canberra at Bathurst for the second year in a row.

2016 Finals Week 2 Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers

2016 Round 9 Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers

In this week's "History Happens", we go back to Round 1 of 1992. The Raiders had defeated the Panthers in the 1990 Grand Final, but Penrith turned the tables in 1991. The following season started with a Grand Final replay and the Raiders had a very small piece of revenge at Canberra Stadium. They ran out 14-10 winners, with Brad Clyde and Brett Mullins scoring tries for the Green Machine. It was two tries apiece, with Mal Meninga's three goals proving decisive. Will it be the Panthers getting revenge this time for the 2016 finals loss to the Raiders?

1992 Round 1 Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers

Form: The Raiders have a LLWWL record in the past five matches, while the Panthers are on a three game winning streak (LLWWW). In their last start, they decimated the Canterbury Bulldogs, 38-0. They've also accounted for the Knights and Warriors in the past few weeks.

Betting: The Raiders are outsiders in this week's match, paying $2.05 - and have 1.5 points start. The Panthers are paying $1.80.

Stat attack: The Raiders and Panthers were early favourites for the 2017 premiership... but this is a battle between ninth and 10th. The Raiders have won six, the Panthers five, with both teams on 12 competition points.

Attack: The Raiders have scored more points than any other team (296) and are equal first for tries scored (51). However, they are fourth in the league for average points (22.8) and fifth for average tries scored (3.9). The Panthers rank sixth for points (21.7) and eighth for tries scored (3.6).

The Panthers average a 53 per cent share of possession (the Raiders 49 per cent) and have a slightly higher completion rate than the Raiders (74-73 per cent). Penrith receives more penalties than Canberra (7.5-6.9 on average per match) but also concede more (6.6-6.2) - so there's not much advantage for Penrith there. The Panthers make slightly more errors (12-11 per match). What explains the possession share? It's the Panthers' style, which is to keep the ball in play and to pass often.

The Panthers are top four for running metres (1474 per match, 1394 for the Raiders), but the Raiders make slightly more metres per run (9.4-9). Both teams are bottom four in the league for kick metres (408 metres per match for the Raiders, 396 for the Panthers).

The Raiders are second in the league for tackle breaks (33 per match) - but the Panthers (31) are not far behind. The Raiders also produce more try assists (3.5 per match, 2.9 for the Panthers). However the Panthers have the advantage in line breaks (5.6-4.8 per match) and offloads (11.8-9.8 per match).

Defence: The defensive records of both teams are similar - and not great for either team. Canberra concedes 18.9 points (3.3 tries) per match, compared to 19.4 points (3.3 tries) for the Panthers. The Panthers concede fewer running metres than any other team in the competition (1301 metres per match, compared to 1387 metres for the Raiders). The Raiders miss fewer tackles (23 per match, compared to 31 for the Panthers) and have a clearly better missed to made tackle ratio. The Raiders also concede fewer line breaks (3.3 per match, 4.4 for the Panthers). Both teams concede around 10 offloads per match.

Our tip: It's not surprising that the Panthers are favourites in the match. The Panthers are on a winning streak and all the commentators are saying the Panthers are "back". Nevertheless, I don't think we should get too carried away. The teams Penrith has beaten in that streak are all towards the bottom of the ladder.

The Raiders are not performing to their potential and not performing consistently. The Raiders are also suffering some injury trouble, with Boyd and Lui out. But Canberra is no more disadvantaged by injury than the Panthers. They also have a number of players missing, including Peter Wallace (groin) and Bryce Cartwright (knee). Until Canberra puts some better form on the board, I'm going to have to go with the Panthers in this one. Whichever team is the winner, they could produce a lot of points. Let's hope I'm wrong - and that this is the game where the Raiders "click".

What they're saying:

Sia Soliola on Dave Taylor: "He is always a good one to have on board, it's great that we've got a player like Dave with his experience, size and ball playing ability. He's just come in and done everything required of him. He hasn't whinged or moaned ... he's come in and done the work. It would be good for him [to play]."

Jarrod Croker: "They're a quality side as well [Penrith] and they've been a bit similar to us. They're finding their feet, they've got some fantastic players in that side and they're going to be tough ... we need a win going into the bye."

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Junior Paulo
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Sia Soliola
11. Josh Papalii
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Luke Bateman

21. Kurt Baptiste
15. Royce Hunt
16. Clay Priest
17. Joe Tapine

18. Scott Sorensen
20. Dave Taylor

14. Adam Clydsdale*
19. Brent Naden*

Penrith Panthers

1. Dylan Edwards
2. Josh Mansour
3. Dean Whare
4. Waqa Blake
5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
6. Matt Moylan (C)
7. Nathan Cleary
8. James Tamou
9. Mitch Rein
10. Reagan Campbell-Gillard
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Isaah Yeo
13. Trent Merrin

14. Tyrone Peachey
15. Leilani Latu
16. Tim Browne
17. Viliame Kikau

19. Sione Katoa
21. Peta Hiku

18. Sitaleki Akauola*
20. Moses Leota*

*Omitted players

Officials:

Referees: Henry Perenara, Chris James
Sideline Officials: Rohan Best, Tim Roby
Video Referees: Bernard Sutton, Bryan Norrie

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLPanthersRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2017 #FromAllAngles

NSW Premiership teams: Click here
Holden Cup teams: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: 2017 Rd 14 V Penrith Panthers: Game Day

Post by DJ89 »

Royce Hunt not named at Mounties, imagine he'll be making his debut.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

DJ89 wrote:Royce Hunt not named at Mounties, imagine he'll be making his debut.

I'd imagine so, given he's named in the fg team in jersey 15, haha
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

Pigman wrote:
DJ89 wrote:Royce Hunt not named at Mounties, imagine he'll be making his debut.

I'd imagine so, given he's named in the fg team in jersey 15, haha
Thought it might be a bluff.

Like Ricky naming Taylor every **** week for no go reason!

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Haha touché!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don't think they're going to name a player to make his debut and then pull the rug though...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote:I don't think they're going to name a player to make his debut and then pull the rug though...
Didn't we do that to some poor **** a few years ago?
I can't even remember who? But he did media during the week and everything haha

Think it was in the middle of the Furner years, or maybe it was Henry
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Cornish was named but got vetoed, I can't remember us naming someone and dropping them

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

greeneyed wrote:I don't think they're going to name a player to make his debut and then pull the rug though...
Stuart takes players into games from the bench and they don't play a second.

Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by Jake »

Moses Pangai?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

Pigman wrote:

Daniel Joyce or Jay Lasscock (spelling might be off for this one)?

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Jake wrote:Moses Pangai?

He was dropped for disciplinary reasons, but we didn't find that out for weeks/months after so maybe he was who I was thinking of :/
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Tapine joined the 'Human Turnstile club' on the weekend.... Merrin to run through him this weekend for 1st tryscorer.
4 in a row coming up for the purrrrrfect panfers. Easy victory by 18 points.

However, if Bryce Cartright plays our chances of pulling off a huge upset are increased greatly.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

Man what an upset it would be if the $1.95 outsiders got up!

Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by Jake »

Pigman wrote:

He was dropped for disciplinary reasons, but we didn't find that out for weeks/months after so maybe he was who I was thinking of :/
That's what I'm thinking. I think we ended up with Sami Sauilima instead. How far we've come.
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

Jake wrote:
Pigman wrote:

That's what I'm thinking. I think we ended up with Sami Sauilima instead. How far we've come.
I think it was made public pretty early on. If i remember correctly, Stick told him early in the week that he'd be debuting and then he proceeded to turn up to training late... I mean wth? :thumbsdown
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

DJ89 wrote:
Pigman wrote:

Dan Joyce and Cy Lasscock (Jay's brother) were named as 18th men but never played. I have a feeling Kyle O'Donnell was named in 2013 to make his debut but got left out in the end and didn't play again that season but played the following year.

Of course the Cy Lasscock story was a sad one in that he completely wrecked his knee in a trial game, made an attempt to come back but it was no good and the doctors told him he could never play RL again.

His brother Jay didn't make first grade, he played in our lower grades and when reserve grade finished went to live in Qld and play for Souths Logan. It didn't work out for him and he came back and became one of the best players in the Canberra Raiders cup with Queanbeayan Blues also coaching the lower grades. However, whatever demons he had came to the surface and he sadly took his own life. Must be 4 or 5 years ago now, how time flies. I know it was a massive shock to the whole Canberra / Qbn league community. Very sad.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ooof I had no idea about that
What a terribly sad story :(
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

Bay53 wrote:
DJ89 wrote:
Pigman wrote:

Dan Joyce and Cy Lasscock (Jay's brother) were named as 18th men but never played. I have a feeling Kyle O'Donnell was named in 2013 to make his debut but got left out in the end and didn't play again that season but played the following year.

Of course the Cy Lasscock story was a sad one in that he completely wrecked his knee in a trial game, made an attempt to come back but it was no good and the doctors told him he could never play RL again.

His brother Jay didn't make first grade, he played in our lower grades and when reserve grade finished went to live in Qld and play for Souths Logan. It didn't work out for him and he came back and became one of the best players in the Canberra Raiders cup with Queanbeayan Blues also coaching the lower grades. However, whatever demons he had came to the surface and he sadly took his own life. Must be 4 or 5 years ago now, how time flies. I know it was a massive shock to the whole Canberra / Qbn league community. Very sad.
I must have gotten the two mixed up. Was aware of Jay taking his own life. Really is a sad story. Seemed like a popular man.

Sad with Cy too, if I recall, Campese wrote a story on him. And I actually thought he did two ligaments in his knee (again, could have misread).

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Game day preview updated for latest squads, weather, odds.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Pigman wrote:

Wasnt that Drury Lowe the winger?
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Lucky wrote:Tapine joined the 'Human Turnstile club' on the weekend.... Merrin to run through him this weekend for 1st tryscorer.

However, if Bryce Cartright plays our chances of pulling off a huge upset are increased greatly.

@@%$ you
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:
Lucky wrote:Tapine joined the 'Human Turnstile club' on the weekend.... Merrin to run through him this weekend for 1st tryscorer.

@@%$ you
Wouldn't put too much stock in what he says. Saying a bench player is going to be involved in the first try scored. Hah. Agree with the sentiment :)
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!!!!! Go the Raiders!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

After 2 months of awful football and lame excuses from our coach, the season is on the line tonight.

No more excuses. Win tonight or season 2017 is as good as over.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Game Day, is this the day where we all click, Baptiste proves to be the vital missing cog and we un earth a new forward sensation and belt the Pennies?
Or is it the beginning of the end?
Not sure if I'm excited or depressed :?
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

Game Day !!

What can I say .. simples, we need to win.

We require 7 wins from our next 12 games just to make 8th .. if it doesn't start today, short of a sudden reversal of form and a deal of luck (which we have not had a lot of) we can start preparing for season 2018.

Did I mention that we have to win today?

C'MON RAIDERS LETS DO IT !!!
I don't post facts
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

I wonder if DT will be a late change for Hart. If not, go Roycey .. having seen a few of his performances in Mounties I wondered when he would be given his chance .. hope he grabs it with both hands, for his sake and more importantly ours.
I don't post facts
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raidersfan wrote:I wonder if DT will be a late change for Hart. If not, go Roycey .. having seen a few of his performances in Mounties I wondered when he would be given his chance .. hope he grabs it with both hands, for his sake and more importantly ours.
Don't think so, haven't noticed him in any video or pics from Orange. Hunt definitely in Orange.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is how the weather looks right now in Bathurst from my salubrious motor inn. BTW I can now see why the Raiders stayed in Orange.

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Bathurst is a dump

Sent from my ZTE T815 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Hopefully the boys turn up to play for 80 minutes this week. The first half of last week's game was absolutely abysmal.

Hopefully the Wonder Woman movie is also good value, because that's what I'll be watching while the game is on. :lol:
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

It's not apparent to me that Ricky actually does any coaching between games. The same mistakes by usually the same players ad nauseum. Combined with his refusal to drop players or make positional changes results in the same dumb, lazy performances week after week. I doubt any other coach in the NRL would leave Austin at 5/8 after his lackluster displays this year. The only hope for a win is if the opp takes us for granted and a few Raiders players draw inspiration from Rapana and use their natural talents. It would be a novel idea for Ricky to anoint someone, anyone, to be the on-field general.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

dubby wrote:Bathurst is a dump

Sent from my ZTE T815 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
BUT THE MOUNTAIN. One day I will go and I will get to drive the most famous piece of road in Australian motorsport. One of the most famous tracks in world motorsport. :woot:

Game day boys! Good luck! Play well! Keep the faith! Look at each other and tell each other, you can do this, we believe in you! And so it shall be!

(I will be spending the day in an oversized freezer.)
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Taylor to start for Mounties

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk