Saturday 10 September, 5:40pm
Melbourne Rectangular Stadium
Gates open: 12:45pm
NRLW - Gold Coast Titans V Parramatta Eels: 1:05pm
NRLW Brisbane Broncos V St George Illawarra Dragons: 2:50pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC
Weather: Showers. Partly cloudy. Very high (90 per cent) chance of showers, most likely in the morning and afternoon. Winds north to northwesterly 15 to 20 km/h turning west to southwesterly 20 to 30 km/h early in the morning. Chance of any rain: 90 per cent Possible rainfall: 2 to 5 mm Min 11 Max 15

The Canberra Raiders have qualified for the finals in eighth place and now head to Melbourne for a clash with the Storm. It is not a venue that should raise any fears for the Green Machine - they have won four games straight at the ground.

Last round: 2022 Round 25. Canberra Raiders 56 - Wests Tigers 10. It was all over at half time. The Raiders led 42-0 at the break, having scored seven tries. The Raiders chose to rest Jack Wighton and Elliott Whitehead on the day of the game, given it was almost certain they had already secured a finals spot. Jamal Fogarty was then rested during the second half. While the Raiders took the foot off the accelerator, they still ran out comfortable winners over the wooden spooners.

More on Round 25: As I saw it

Team news: Jack Wighton and Elliott Whitehead return to the Raiders' starting team after being rested on Sunday. That means Matt Frawley drops out of the top 17, while Corey Harawira-Naera returns to the bench. The Raiders have made no other changes to the team.

Halfback Jahrome Hughes (calf) returns for the Storm, with Cooper Johns dropping to the reserves list. Kenny Bromwich (head knock) and Nick Meaney (shoulder) have both been named after suffering injuries against the Eels.

Late changes: Both teams left their starting 17 u changed on Friday afternoon, when they reduced their squads to 19. Albert Hopoate and Matt Frawley remain on the Raiders’ extended bench, while the Storm retained Young Tonumaipea and Jordan Grant as reserves.

History: The Raiders have won only 15 of 51 matches against the Melbourne Storm, for a meagre 29 per cent win rate. The Raiders broke a five game losing streak against Melbourne with a memorable 22-18 victory in Bleak City in Round 22 in 2019. The Raiders had two players sin binned in the first half and trailed 18-0, before scoring 22 unanswered points. It was the Storm's worst ever collapse. Canberra followed up with another stunning, 12-10, victory in Week 1 of the 2019 finals - with a John Bateman try in the final stages delivering a match winning lead. They produced their third straight win against Melbourne in Round 3 of 2020. But the Storm then went on another five game winning streak against Canberra, including the 2020 Preliminary Final. The Raiders ended that streak in Round 18 this year, winning 20-16 in Melbourne.

2022 Round 18 Canberra Raiders V Melbourne Storm

2022 Round 5 Canberra Raiders V Melbourne Storm

2021 Round 22 Canberra Raiders V Melbourne Storm

2021 Round 11 Canberra Raiders V Melbourne Storm

The Raiders have won seven of the 12 games played between the clubs at Melbourne Rectangular Stadium, including the last four.

Form: Raiders: LWWWW
Storm: WWWLL

The Storm is coming off back to back losses, having fallen to both the Roosters (18-14) and the Eels (22-14). But Melbourne also has recent wins over the Broncos (60-12), Panthers (16-0) and Titans (32-14). The Raiders are on a four game winning streak - decisively beating the Tigers (56-10) and Sea Eagles (48-6) and scraping home against the Knights (28-22) and Dragons (24-22). Their most recent loss was a 26-6 defeat at the hands of the Panthers at Canberra Stadium.

Betting: The Storm is a $1.37 favourite, with the Raiders paying $3.10 The Raiders have 8.5 points start in the line betting. The odds for Canberra have shortened slightly late in the week.

Stat attack: This is a clash between eighth (Raiders) and fifth (Storm) on the ladder. The Storm has the best attack in the league and they're not far off the benchmark team, the Panthers, in defence. Melbourne ranks first for tries, line breaks and dummy half runs, third for completions and fourth for tackle breaks.

Canberra's relative strength is their defence - but they've finally broken into the top eight teams in attack, having opened up against the Sea Eagles and Tigers in the past couple of weeks. The Raiders rank second in the NRL for offloads and third for dummy half runs.

The Storm is just a bit better than the Raiders in almost every department, apart from offloads and tackle efficiency. The Storm has shown some signs of wear and tear over recent weeks, as the injury toll has mounted. But they've also had a much tougher draw heading into the finals than the Raiders.

The Storm has conceded more penalties than any team in the competition. That's not surprising as they are prepared to test the patience of the officials in terms of offside play and the wrestle. The Storm's Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Justin Olam and Cameron Munster are three of the top five most penalised players in the NRL. But the Raiders aren't far behind, ranking third for most penalties conceded.

2022 Season record: Raiders 14 and 10 (8th, +63)
Storm 15 and 9 (5th, +247)

Attack: Raiders 22 points and 4 tries scored per match, ranked eighth on tries scored
Storm 27 points and 5 tries scored per match, first on tries scored

Defence: Raiders 19 points and 3 tries conceded per match, ranked sixth for fewest tries conceded
Storm 17 points and 3 tries conceded per match, ranked fourth for fewest tries conceded

Possession: Raiders 51 per cent, Storm 51 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 77 per cent, Storm 80 per cent

Running: Raiders 1518 running metres per match
Storm 1555 running metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 32, Storm 35 per match

Line breaks: Raiders 4, Storm 6 per match

Try assists: Raiders 3, Storm 4 per match

Offloads: Raiders 12, Storm 10 per match

Kicking: Raiders 518 kicking metres per match
Storm 499 kicking metres per match

Tackling: Raiders 88 per cent tackle efficiency
Storm 87 per cent tackle efficiency

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1315 running metres conceded per match
Storm 1289 running metres conceded per match

Errors: Raiders 10, Storm 10 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 6, Storm 7 per match

Key match-ups:

Xavier Savage and Nick Meaney. Xavier Savage has come on in leaps and bounds in his rookie year. He made three appearances last year, but has now notched up 17 in 2022. He's scored six tries and produced seven line breaks, 37 tackle breaks and averaged 142 running metres per game. He's reduced his error count as the season's progressed, while his positioning and passing game are developing quickly. Nick Meaney is filling in at fullback for an injured Ryan Papenhuyzen. They are big boots to fill. Meaney is possibly best known as a winger, but about half of his 87 NRL games have been at fullback. In 22 games this year, he's produced 13 tries, eight try assists, 13 line breaks, 56 tackle breaks and 108 running metres per game. Meaney's numbers are better overall. But is difficult to compare the statistics for these two, as Meaney has only played half of his games this year in the No. 1 jersey.

Jack Wighton and Cameron Munster. Two of the best five eighths in the competition. Jack Wighton has been a little up and down in 2022, but in recent weeks he's been back to his absolute best. He is an incredibly dangerous runner. In 2022, he's scored four tries and produced nine try assists, 12 offloads, 14 line break assists and 14 line drop outs. He's averaged 98 running metres and 284 kicking metres. He hits hard in defence, very hard. Cameron Munster's numbers are even more impressive. Recently he's been roaming, switching to fullback in attack. So he'll be hard to contain. He has 11 tries, 15 try assists, 30 offloads, 15 line break assists and nine line drop outs to his name. He's average 141 running metres and 205 kicking metres per game. His tackle efficiency is almost as good as Wighton's. This will be a great contest, but Munster is in front in this match-up in my view.

Josh Papalii and Nelson Asofa-Solomona. Josh Papalii has probably been overtaken by Joe Tapine as the No. 1 prop at the Raiders, but Big Papa is still awesome. He's scored four tries, made 67 tackle breaks, 37 offloads and averaged 124 running metres and 26 tackles per game. Nelson Asofa-Solomona is probably lucky he's not on the sidelines, suspended for this match. Just this year, he's been fournd guilty on five charges for high tackles and dangerous contact, but has only ever paid a fine. So he plays on the edge. He's got three tries, 82 tackle breaks, 34 offloads, and an average 119 running metres and 20 tackles per game so far in 2022. Big Papa takes this match-up for mine.

My tip: The Storm are rightly favourites in this game - and almost all the numbers point to a Storm victory. But the Storm is looking more vulnerable right now than they have for years. They haven't finished outside the top four since 2014. In fact that has only happened once since 2010 - when they were stripped of all their competition points for salary cap cheating. They have only won four of their past 10 games, while the Raiders have won eight of their past 10. Canberra is peaking at the right time. Then add in the Raiders' good recent record in Melbourne. It is going to be a very tough contest. But I'm going to go with the Raiders by six.

What they're saying:

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart after the win over the Tigers: "Any hit out without any problems with injury or whatnot is a good hit out. We're in good form, the players are full of belief and confidence and for them to do what they've done over the last three months has been an extraordinary feat. And it's not over yet. We're not just in there to make up the numbers, like a lot of other people think."

Canberra Raiders

1. Xavier Savage
2. Nick Cotric
3. Matthew Timoko
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Zac Woolford
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Adam Elliott

14. Tom Starling
15. Emre Guler
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Corey Harawira-Naera

18. Albert Hopoate
20. Matt Frawley

Injury/Suspension

Adrian Trevilyan, Shoulder (Indefinite)
Ryan Sutton, Hand (Season)
Jarrod Croker, Shoulder (Season)
Harley Smith-Shields, Knee (Season)
Josh Hodgson, Knee (Season)

Melbourne Storm

1. Nick Meaney
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Marion Seve
4. Justin Olam
5. Xavier Coates
6. Cameron Munster
7. Jahrome Hughes
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Harry Grant
10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenny Bromwich
13. Josh King

14. Brandon Smith
15. Tui Kamikamica
16. Trent Loiero
17. Chris Lewis

18. Young Tonumaipea
19. Jordan Grant

Injury/Suspension

Tyran Wishart, Ankle (Finals)
Dean Ieremia, Hamstring (Season)
Ryan Papenhuyzen, Knee (Season)
Reimis Smith, Pectoral (Season)
Christian Welch, Achilles (Season)
George Jennings, Knee (Season)
Tom Eisenhuth, Ankle (Season)

Officials

Referee: Grant Atkins
Touch judges: Drew Oultram, Liam Kennedy
Video referee: Ashley Klein

NRL Teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLStormRaiders
The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2022 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Re: 2022 Finals Week 1 V Storm: Game Day

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!! Go the Raiders!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Game Day, I can’t recall being more exited about a game ( other than the 2019 GF) we are confident!
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Go the Raiders!! Not that confident but hopefully the boys play well
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Confident. Bring it on.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Raiders666 wrote:Go the Raiders!! Not that confident but hopefully the boys play well
We’ll win this.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

The Nickman wrote: September 10, 2022, 7:29 am
Raiders666 wrote:Go the Raiders!! Not that confident but hopefully the boys play well
We’ll win this.
I hope your right :thumbsup
Mullins_y2k
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Mullins_y2k »

Nervous, feeling a close Raiders win or Storm by 20....
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

Drove through a storm on the way to Melbourne it wasn't the storm of old.. We've got this go raiders

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Let’s go Raiders. Feeling quite confident about this one!
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Have a good feeling about this one! Up the milk!
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

Raiders of the Storm, LETS GO THE GREEN MACHINE!!!
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Feel They're gna blow us off the park early.. we'll put a lil fight back in 2nd half but that's about it. Storm by 20
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Been confident all week but today not so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Glad we get the extra game this season but this is as far as we go..
Storm 13 +
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

My mate had a dream storm lost 12 nil
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

It looks like a cool, damp and windy day in Melbourne according to the forecast. Hopefully it improves as game time gets near. The Raiders defensive efforts will have to be on song to match it with the Storm. Possession will be key, so ball security and no dumb penalties a priority. We are coming off a string of wins so confidence will be strong. Plenty of experience in the side so I would expect those players to take those who have not been in NRL finals footy before aside and have them focus of performing their assignments well. Go get 'em Raiders.
RomfordRaider
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Corey Harawira-Naera

Post by RomfordRaider »

I’ve been watching the 2019 finals highlights. I couldn’t help it, I feel an air of inevitability that an upset is on the cards.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Dear God.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Bennyboy2283
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Bennyboy2283 »

Bennyboy2283
Ken Nagas

Post by Bennyboy2283 »

Can we get this guy to do this to our boys please
Bennyboy2283
Ken Nagas

Post by Bennyboy2283 »

Add green mist and Ricky Stuart’s boy and Jackie boys page unwritten then we are in
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I feel confident we can shake it tonight which makes me INCREDIBLY nervous.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

raiderskater wrote: September 10, 2022, 12:47 pm I feel confident we can shake it tonight which makes me INCREDIBLY nervous.
I'm in no way confident. I do hold out hope though. Raiders have gone well down in Melbourne in recent times. The team seems to lift there.

When it comes to finals I usually assess the chances based on each team bringing their A game. If Storm so that I feel they will be too good regardless of how well we go.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Northern Raider wrote:
raiderskater wrote: September 10, 2022, 12:47 pm I feel confident we can shake it tonight which makes me INCREDIBLY nervous.
I'm in no way confident. I do hold out hope though. Raiders have gone well down in Melbourne in recent times. The team seems to lift there.

When it comes to finals I usually assess the chances based on each team bringing their A game. If Storm so that I feel they will be too good regardless of how well we go.
Munster carved up the NSW team basically on his own. If he has a game like that it’s hard to see us stopping it. The same could be said for Wighton. If he has a blinder it could be enough.

Both of those outcomes are dependent on who wins the battle in the middle though. We need our forwards to get on top of theirs and a lot of that comes down to ball control and discipline no cheap turnovers coming out of our end, no soft penalties for them coming out of theirs.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

pickles wrote: September 10, 2022, 2:35 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

Munster carved up the NSW team basically on his own. If he has a game like that it’s hard to see us stopping it. The same could be said for Wighton. If he has a blinder it could be enough.

Both of those outcomes are dependent on who wins the battle in the middle though. We need our forwards to get on top of theirs and a lot of that comes down to ball control and discipline no cheap turnovers coming out of our end, no soft penalties for them coming out of theirs.
Agree and winning the middle will come back to defensive effort. Limit those big impact runs from the likes of Nelson and Smith you will go a long way towards winning that battle. The rest their pack are solid players without being overly threatening. Bromwich brothers were elite once but you get the feeling their best days were a few years back.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

Bennyboy2283 wrote: September 10, 2022, 12:26 pm
That’s pretty good
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of today’s final clash between the Canberra Raiders and Melbourne Storm! We are here in Bleak City. Join us for live scores from 5:40pm. Please join in with your own commentary. Here are the final team line ups:

Canberra Raiders

1. Xavier Savage
2. Nick Cotric
3. Matthew Timoko
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Zac Woolford
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Adam Elliott

14. Tom Starling
15. Emre Guler
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Corey Harawira-Naera

18. Albert Hopoate

Melbourne Storm

1. Nick Meaney
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Marion Seve
4. Justin Olam
5. Xavier Coates
6. Cameron Munster
7. Jahrome Hughes
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Harry Grant
10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
12. Kenny Bromwich
15. Tui Kamikamica
14. Brandon Smith

11. Felise Kaufusi
13. Josh King
16. Trent Loiero
17. Chris Lewis

18. Young Tonumaipea
The Greenhouse score update service
jimmy82
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

They have a weak bench
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Goodluck containing Smith and Grant. They're obviously looking to ambush
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I expect Kamikamica will play middle so we could see big Nelson to line up on the right edge. Young will have his defense tested.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Northern Raider wrote: September 10, 2022, 4:59 pm I expect Kamikamica will play middle so we could see big Nelson to line up on the right edge. Young will have his defense tested.
NAS will also be tested defensively if he stays out wide, our 2nd phase play will really test him….
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Finals Papa is a very different beast. I can’t recall him not killing it in a final. He will have Tarps firing beside him and Hors will be ready to explode. If we show up we will be fine. The forwards will lay the platform we just need Jack and Fog can lead us around and I’m confident a few teams will be nervously looking over the shoulder.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Very strong wind from the south at the ground. About a 12-18 point breeze to the team that uses it well.
The Greenhouse score update service
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Northern Raider wrote: September 10, 2022, 4:59 pm I expect Kamikamica will play middle so we could see big Nelson to line up on the right edge. Young will have his defense tested.
Left foot step on Nelson much easier for Jack. Also Savage running on his outside or inside options as well.