2023 Canberra Raiders NSW Cup

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: 2023 Canberra Raiders NSW Cup

Post by -TW- »

The last post previews in tapatalk

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Really enjoyed that game. Chevy Stewart- what a player he is. Cannot wait to see him in the NRL. Asomua turned the game on its head when he came on. Morkos is an awesome footballer. Strange needs to get more involved, James dictated the proceedings. Lots of green shoots there.

I also loved seeing Schuster and Sam Fainu getting brushed off by Schiller after they were carrying on giving it to our blokes. I doubt either of those men will do much in the NRL. Their character just isn't there. Lazy thugs who will end up on a building site/TAB somewhere. Thanks for the game fellas.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Butters wrote: September 2, 2023, 3:39 pm What happened there for those that were closer?

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
Just watch the replay of that incident. Chevy did a great job saving a try, ran cross field and punched the ball out. He didn't seem to do anything wrong by anyone. Then Dean Matterson ran in from a very long way away to push Chevy around. And the team didn't like it, understandably.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH REPORT: Canberra Raiders edge Sea Eagles in Elimination Final

The Canberra Raiders have set up a showdown with the New Zealand Warriors in the minor semi-final of the NSW Cup, following a nail-biting 24-22 victory over the Blacktown Sea Eagles at North Sydney Oval.

Michael Asomua came up with a huge play late in the match, catching the ball from a Sea Eagles bomb just 15 metres from his own line and running across field before offloading to a flying Xavier Savage. Savage glided down the sideline, drawing in the opposition fullback and offloading to Chevy Stewart, who raced away to score the match-winning try for the Raiders.

Read more: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2023/09/0 ... ion-final/
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Bay53 wrote: September 2, 2023, 6:27 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 2, 2023, 5:29 pm Can someone post the highlights here when they are available ? Thanks
You can actually watch the full game back on Facebook.
I cant seem to find it
Anyone got a link?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:Really enjoyed logging on here just now and reading the game as it unfolded without “the Greenhouse” account spoiling all the results in a preview post before the game like they do on the occasions where Sean is providing the updates.

It’s so much better, would be great if it happened that way no matter who was providing the updates.

Bit disappointing to log in on here and see “the Greenhouse” spoil the score and then read Sean (or anyone else) giving blow by blow updates and you already know the result.

That final summary can come after whoever gives their match commentary, as it does when “the Greenhouse” provides official updates, as happened today and last week.

Nobody needs spoilers.
Supporters forum? More like bag out the moderators forum.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ah ****... i saw that video 1000 times and didnt realise ours was on the back of the panthers eels game
Thanks GE!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Just looked at the tries there I’ll try and watch the entire thing tomorrow

The strange pass for the Schiller try is pretty special
He’s got a lot of different ways to hurt teams with ball in hand

The last try to win it, just a show case of what this fg team is missing and why it’s needed
Last edited by Botman on September 3, 2023, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloody_Burnham
Gary Coyne

Post by Bloody_Burnham »

That last Raiders try was an absolute thing of beauty. Highlighted Asomua's power game, the raw pace of Savage and the brilliant instincts of Chevy to back up on the inside like the great fullbacks do. If it weren't for the Sticky factor, i would definitely say that the future is bright.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2023 NSW Cup Finals Week 2: Canberra Raiders v New Zealand Warriors

Canberra Raiders v New Zealand Warriors
Saturday 9 September, 1:00pm
Leichhardt Oval
Live stream: NSWRL TV via the NSWRL Facebook page

Canberra Raiders

1. Chevy Stewart
2. Utuloa Asomua
3. Harley Smith-Shields
4. Brad Morkos
5. Xavier Savage
6. Ethan Strange
7. Joshua James
15. Jake Clydsdale
20. Danny Levi
23. Loghan Lewis
11. Clay Webb
19. Jed Stuart
21. Mitchell Spencer

9. Adrian Trevilyan
10. Tane Kiriona
16. Jayden Clarkson
22. Joseph Roddy

14. Mitch Henderson

New Zealand Warriors

1. Setu Tu
2. Moala Graham-Taufa
3. Ali Leiataua
4. Brayden Wiliame
5. Edward Kosi
6. Ben Farr
7. Ronald Volkman
8. Tanner Stowers-Smith
9. Paul Roache
10. James Gavet
11. Kalani Going
12. Jacob Laban
13. Tom Ale

14. Michael Sio
15. Isaiah Vagana
16. Zyon Maiu'u
17. Maia Sands

Last match: The Canberra Raiders produced a thrilling, 24-22, win on Saturday in the NSW Cup elimination final against the Blacktown Sea Eagles.

The Green Machine was missing forward leaders, Trey Mooney and Hohepa Puru, and it did show. Both players were on duty with the NRL squad. Puru had been selected for an NRL debut, while Mooney was put in cotton wool as a reserve. After losing control of the game in the third quarter, the Raiders snatched victory away from the Sea Eagles, thanks to the brilliance of their outside backs.

The Raiders dominated the first half, in terms of possession and territory. They scored two tries inside the first 10 minutes. First, prop Peter Hola scored from close range near the posts. He seemed to be well wrapped up by the defenders, but he kept on fighting until he could reach out and ground the ball over the line. Then in the 10th minute, a great cut out pass from Ethan Strange put winger James Schiller over in the corner.

But the Green Machine wasted a number of other opportunities in the first half. They just couldn't get across the line. At one stage, James Schiller picked up a loose ball near the Raiders' own goal line - and ran 80 metres before being caught by Blacktown winger Jake Toby. He threw the pass inside to Ethan Strange - and if Strange had taken it, it might not have been ruled forward. Instead, the ball bounced on the ground - and the error was called.

The Sea Eagles, however, could get across the line. In the 40th minute, a kick ahead from Cooper Johns set up a simple try for Jacob Sykes. He was in again, five minutes into the second half. So in no time at all, the Raiders' first half dominance counted for naught. 12-0 to 12 all in the space of six minutes.

The Raiders were soon left rocking and reeling after Blacktown fullback Kaeo Weekes grabbed a quick double - and all of a sudden, the Sea Eagles had a lead of 10 points. 22-12 at the 60 minute mark. The Sea Eagles had all the momentum, all the possession and were getting all the penalties.

An individual run from James Schiller was enough to bring Blacktown's momentum to a halt. Forced into a line drop out in the 63rd minute, the Sea Eagles put in a short kick. It was defused by Schiller and he promptly weaved his way to the try line.

With 10 minutes remaining, the Raiders produced the stunning match winner. Michael Asomua took the ball deep in his own half and ran cross field - putting Xavier Savage on a huge run down the touch line. Chevy Stewart backed up on the inside. His try leveled the game, while his conversion delivered the lead. It was a nail biting finish for the Raiders fans. Stewart was forced to make a try saving tackle with less than two minutes left on the clock. It was a huge relief when the Sea Eagles were penalised for a double movement - and Canberra held on for the win.

The Raiders had 55 per cent of the ball, with the Sea Eagles completing at just 63 per cent (Raiders 81 per cent). The Sea Eagles made 16 errors, the Raiders just six. Both teams conceded nine penalties, but the Sea Eagles failed to find touch from penalty kicks twice. The Raiders made 300 more metres with the ball in hand than Blacktown and 10 more tackle breaks. The Sea Eagles, did however, get a couple of more line breaks than Canberra (6-4).

James Schiller (226), Chevy Stewart (169) and Harley Smith-Shields (166) topped the running metres gained for Canberra. Jake Clydsdale (136) and Mitch Spencer (127) were the top forwards in that department. Schiller made 10 tackle breaks, Smith-Shields six. Spencer (28), Danny Levi (25) and Clay Webb (21) topped the tackle count.

Finals Week 2: The Raiders are now on a six game winning streak - and they need three more if they are to take home the title. They head back to Sydney on Saturday, this time to Leichhardt Oval, for a clash with the Warriors.

The New Zealand outfit lost on Saturday to the Rabbitohs, 26-12. The two teams were all tied up at half time (6-6), but South Sydney was too strong in the second half. The Warriors' other recent loss was to the Sea Eagles (32-12) in Auckland in Round 24. They have recent wins over the Panthers (26-14), Magpies (26-16) and Dragons (42-12).

The Warriors beat the Raiders in both contests between the clubs earlier this year. In Round 21, the Raiders led 18-0 after 15 minutes - but sadly, went onto lose, 21-20. A Ronald Volkman field goal in the 80th minute proved to be the difference. That is Canberra's most recent defeat in this grade - and they have played much better football since. Canberra is certainly capable of getting the win this weekend.

Team news: James Schiller has been promoted to the Raiders NRL squad this week, so Michael Asomua has been been named to start on the wing. Jake Clydsdale replaces Peter Hola at starting prop, while Jed Stuart comes into the second row in place of Luke Webley. Tane Kiriona and Joseph Roddy have been added to the bench.

2023 season record: Raiders: 15 and 9, 1 draw (4th, +80)
Warriors: 14 and 10, 1 draw (3rd, +146)
Form: Raiders: WWWWW
Warriors: WWLWL
Attack: Raiders 23, Warriors 26 points scored per game
Defence: Raiders 20, Warriors 20 points conceded per game
Recent meetings: 2023 Round 21 Warriors 21 defeated Raiders 20 at Mt Smart Stadium
2023 Round 15 Warriors 34 defeated Raiders 16 at Raiders Belconnen
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Botman wrote: September 2, 2023, 8:37 pm Just looked at the tries there I’ll try and watch the entire thing tomorrow

The last try to win it, just a show case of what this fg team is missing and why it’s needed
Yeah some nice moments in those Highlights from Strange, Stewart and Savage
Also wouldn't mind seeing more Schiller and Asomua and Less Hopoate early in 2024.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

kiwi raider wrote: September 5, 2023, 8:31 am
Botman wrote: September 2, 2023, 8:37 pm Just looked at the tries there I’ll try and watch the entire thing tomorrow

Yeah some nice moments in those Highlights from Strange, Stewart and Savage
Also wouldn't mind seeing more Schiller and Asomua and Less Hopoate early in 2024.
I think we've seen Hoppa's ceiling. I'd happily have him fill in here and there- reliable yards. But wingers are a position you can strike gold in if you get a guy with potential- guys like Rapa, Noufaluma, Sivo had golden years from relative obscurity- BUT they all had a weapon and high ceiling. It's worth sifting through wingers waiting for lightning imo rather than settling.

Watching Anderson's knee go mid break after he burst through with power and hit the afterburners was such a shame.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Gee our young forwards have got a job ahead of them. Clydsdale, Lewis, Kirona and Clarkson have played very little reserve grade and Roddy will be on debut.

Our 1-7 looks pretty good and potentially two good 9s but they are going to have to get us through. If we get through and first grade don't they probably get back Schiller, Frawley, Puru and Mooney plus Hola will be right. Not sure about Webley's injury.

Warriors team by comparison looks pretty good.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Anyone know why they name the team list with all the wacky jersey numbers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I remember watching Kalani Going in our lower grades. Non Stop all effort player who played on the right for us. He is a Puru type who goes flat out all the time.

Our spine and backline give us an advantage at this level. Agree with Bay53 a big effort by our young forwards needed.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Danaman137 wrote: September 5, 2023, 5:22 pm Anyone know why they name the team list with all the wacky jersey numbers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It generally has to do with sizes at this level and the fact that some players get allocated their own jersey, suited to them, which they keep week to week. Multiple sizes for each position number too expensive in lower grades.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I know he's not eligible at this point, but speaking hypothetically, assuming Hopoate can't make 1sts this week, I'd still struggle to get him into that backline. Maybe a bench position to cover outside backs and second row?

The future feels quite bright for this group of players.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

100% agree
He shouldnt be playing ahead of Stewart, Savage, Morkos, HSS or Asomua
They're all better than him at their respective positions.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

I reckon they would bench Asomua again and rotate Hoppa into the forwards for a stint. Worked last week.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Don’t forget, there’s a live stream on the NSWRL Facebook page Saturday at 1:00pm.
The Greenhouse score update service
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of today’s NSW Cup Week 2 Finals clash between the Canberra Raiders and New Zealand Warriors. Kick off is at Leichhardt Oval at 1:00pm. The match is live-streamed on NSWRL TV via the NSWRL Facebook page. We will have live scores right here from 1:00pm. Please join in with your own commentary.

Here are the final teams.

Canberra Raiders

1. Chevy Stewart
2. Utuloa Asomua
3. Harley Smith-Shields
4. Brad Morkos
5. Xavier Savage
6. Ethan Strange
7. Joshua James
15. Jake Clydsdale
20. Danny Levi
23. Loghan Lewis
11. Clay Webb
19. Jed Stuart
21. Mitchell Spencer

9. Adrian Trevilyan
10. Tane Kiriona
16. Jayden Clarkson
22. Joseph Roddy

14. Mitch Henderson

New Zealand Warriors

1. Setu Tu
2. Moala Graham-Taufa
3. Ali Leiataua
4. Brayden Wiliame
5. Edward Kosi
6. Ben Farr
7. Ronald Volkman
8. Tanner Stowers-Smith
9. Paul Roache
13. Tom Ale
11. Kalani Going
12. Jacob Laban
14. Michael Sio

15. Isaiah Vagana
16. Zyon Maiu'u
17. Maia Sands
21. Eiden Ackland

18. Eddie Ieremia-Toeva
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It looks like we might have a first for the season, no late changes for the Raiders.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Fine day at Leichhardt. 18-19C, feels like 14C. Perfect conditions for rugby league.

Teams out on the field now, the Raiders kick off. We’re underway.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

1st min Warriors kick on the last, the Raiders let it bounce… the Warriors regather, but then knock on. Very dangerous.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

3rd min ERROR WARRRIORS They knock on the high kick. Set restart for Canberra. But it was a terrible kick to the corner to end the set.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

4th min PENALTY WARRIORS will get them off their own line.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Oh dear .... little bit soft

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

5th min TRY WARRIORS to second rower Jacob Laban, takes the kick ahead. Ronald Volkman converts from close to the posts. The Raiders have been too frantic in the opening minutes.

Warriors 6-0
Last edited by The Greenhouse on September 9, 2023, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Volkman bomb towards Asomua and an easy try for the Warriors. Converted Warriors 6 Raiders 0.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Can't match them through the middle. If we can't play this out wide, we might be in for a long day.

The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

10th min TRY WARRIORS to former Raiders Kalani Going. Simple try from dummy half, poor goal line defence from Canberra. Terrible start from the Raiders. Ronald Volkman fails to convert.

Warriors 10-0
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Warriors in again. Very soft. Spin from dummy half and over. Went through Webb like he wasn't there. Not converted. Warriors 10 Raiders 0.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

14th min PENALTY WARRIORS Asomua off side for the kick chase.