Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on David Fifita

Post by Rick »

Guler and Saulo would walk straight into starting prop for a lot of teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Rick wrote: March 28, 2024, 11:23 am Guler and Saulo would walk straight into starting prop for a lot of teams.

Agree with this. Either starting in teams like Manly, Souths or on the bench for Penrith, Newcastle, Cronulla, Parra, or Warriors. I deliberately chose teams in contention for the top 8 or thereabouts.
But so would Horse, Ata and Mooney.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Guler/Saulo might start or bench at other clubs, but other clubs concentrate their spending in the spine, so are happy to take a hit in other positions. It's a model that works for them but with our spine, and inability to recruit marquee spine players, would be catastrophic for us.

We need the Tapines and Papaliis. Guler and Saulo won't be one. Mooney and Ata might not be either but are at least closer
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Canberra Milk wrote: March 28, 2024, 3:41 pm Guler/Saulo might start or bench at other clubs, but other clubs concentrate their spending in the spine, so are happy to take a hit in other positions. It's a model that works for them but with our spine, and inability to recruit marquee spine players, would be catastrophic for us.

We need the Tapines and Papaliis. Guler and Saulo won't be one. Mooney and Ata might not be either but are at least closer
I think this sums it up nicely.

It’s not about whether those guys are good enough for first grade or not. It’s whether they’re better than average or capable of getting there because that’s what we need.

I think the same argument applies to Hoppa and Cotric. Both good players who could get a gig elsewhere. But we need proper strike talent.

Ata and Trey are good first grade players now with the potential to be stars. Guler and Saulo are close to their max.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

I reckon Fifita would be the best second rower in the comp again pretty quickly if he was playing off the back of a middle rotation of Papa, Tapine, Ata, Horse and Mooney. That seriously is the highest ceiling Raiders middle rotation I remember since the 90's. He would still be a great signing.

Pretty sure he has friend zoned Ricky at this point though.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I think Hosking is better value for money
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

NoMan wrote: March 28, 2024, 4:24 pm I reckon Fifita would be the best second rower in the comp again pretty quickly if he was playing off the back of a middle rotation of Papa, Tapine, Ata, Horse and Mooney. That seriously is the highest ceiling Raiders middle rotation I remember since the 90's. He would still be a great signing.

I would have thought good halves are more likely to improve the level of an edge forwards game than a good middle.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: March 28, 2024, 6:45 pm
NoMan wrote: March 28, 2024, 4:24 pm I reckon Fifita would be the best second rower in the comp again pretty quickly if he was playing off the back of a middle rotation of Papa, Tapine, Ata, Horse and Mooney. That seriously is the highest ceiling Raiders middle rotation I remember since the 90's. He would still be a great signing.

I would have thought good halves are more likely to improve the level of an edge forwards game than a good middle.
David Fifita has put it together and played exactly one consistent season... who was it outside? It involved one good prop I guess.
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

I'm in the "**** I hope we get Fifita" camp well and truly.

We have the money in the bank, retirees coming up, he's marquee let's get it done.

He just strikes me as a Dave Taylor that hasn't completely given up on himself yet
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think he’d be dynamic for us and potentially push us up into the next tier in terms of where we are in competing for a premiership. And it would help our half on his side of the field to have a weapon like that who creates space and time for his halves due to the threat he poses. If a club like ours has the chance to recruit a player like him I don’t think we can afford not to, that sort of coup coupled with playing quality football is the type of thing that can help shift some of the perception of the club as a destination.

I also think the edge forward spot is still in need of attention. But I don’t think he’ll come, he’s said no twice, no reason to think anything has changed. I don’t think there is any reason to think he’ll even trigger the release.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Fifita wouldn’t have to do the grunt work with us. He could focus on his destructive attack.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

He's 100% a flat track bully, downhill skiier. Looks good in a winning team, but absolutely awful when you're losing.

Talented for sure, but it's a massive cultural risk having one of your highest paid players being a mental midget.

I can see why the club pursued him, but I'd be very surprised if they had a third crack.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Value for money, give me Hosking
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
CrabLord
Noa Nadruku

Post by CrabLord »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 29, 2024, 4:37 pm He's 100% a flat track bully, downhill skiier. Looks good in a winning team, but absolutely awful when you're losing.

Talented for sure, but it's a massive cultural risk having one of your highest paid players being a mental midget.

I can see why the club pursued him, but I'd be very surprised if they had a third crack.

Isn’t that sort of the thing we have been missing out on? We have had the identity of brawlers and defensive heroes holding on to games. For once I would like to see us really put a team to the sword when we are well positioned and doing that.

Imo David is that destructive sort of player who can do that, whilst allowing for plenty of resilience across the side.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think Fifita has played dominant games against a lot of high level competition. I dont think calling him a flat track bully is accurate
He's as elite as it gets as an edge weapon, capable and proven at being able to single handedly take any games and drag a team kicking and screaming to wins
He doesnt maintain that game to game because no one can, if he could he'd be the greatest player in the games history. But he's impactful every game he plays, he is the first guy the opposition coach game plans against.
It doesnt always translate to winning games because he does not play a position the impacts the game enough to win games on his own regularly.

He'sa great player in a dog **** team, with a dog **** franchise, in a market that no professional sports team (and boy have they tried!) managed to make work.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

nachopants wrote: March 29, 2024, 3:02 pm I'm in the "**** I hope we get Fifita" camp well and truly.

We have the money in the bank, retirees coming up, he's marquee let's get it done.

He just strikes me as a Dave Taylor that hasn't completely given up on himself yet
Who would you have him in the side for? Hosking or Young.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

RedRaider wrote:
nachopants wrote: March 29, 2024, 3:02 pm I'm in the "**** I hope we get Fifita" camp well and truly.

Either, the David Fifita of the last 18months has been fantastic, neither Zac or Hudson hold a candle to David
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Postman Pat wrote: March 29, 2024, 7:25 pm
RedRaider wrote:

Either, the David Fifita of the last 18months has been fantastic, neither Zac or Hudson hold a candle to David
Amen brother.
You dont figure out how Fifita works around Hosking and Young. you figure out how Hosking and Young work around Fifita. :lol:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Botman wrote:
RedRaider wrote:

Amen brother.
You dont figure out how Fifita works around Hosking and Young. you figure out how Hosking and Young work around Fifita. Image
Assuming that Whitehead is a walk up start?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 29, 2024, 8:07 pm
Botman wrote:
RedRaider wrote:

Amen brother.
You dont figure out how Fifita works around Hosking and Young. you figure out how Hosking and Young work around Fifita. Image
Assuming that Whitehead is a walk up start?
Have you not seen the injury report?

Elliott Whitehead (washed) - season
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Botman wrote: March 29, 2024, 8:05 pm
RedRaider wrote:

Amen brother.
You dont figure out how Fifita works around Hosking and Young. you figure out how Hosking and Young work around Fifita. :lol:
Lol yes. Fafita has immortal potential. Hudson, I fear, has peaked. And Hosking is a journeyman who has hit a purple patch.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fifita.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 29, 2024, 4:37 pm He's 100% a flat track bully, downhill skiier. Looks good in a winning team, but absolutely awful when you're losing.

Don't know how you come to that conclusion given he has played through a horrendous set up at the Broncos after the car crash affair that was Anthony Seibold and then the pathetic excuse for a club in the Titans. Put Fafita in a good environment and he would make Viliamme Kikau look like a boy scout.

I honestly believe if he comes here he will be the best forward in rugby league.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 29, 2024, 8:28 pm
Botman wrote: March 29, 2024, 8:05 pm
RedRaider wrote:

Amen brother.
Lol yes. Fafita has immortal potential. Hudson, I fear, has peaked. And Hosking is a journeyman who has hit a purple patch.
If you and i are in alignment on something, then it's a wrap, brother.
I think honestly the Titans are a team that arent paid a lot of attention too.. but Fifita makes an impact every game. He's elite. His team doesnt always win because it's **** but he's almost always awesome. I cant fathom watching that guy play and thinking he's only good when his team is winning. He's almost always good! And often he's the only reason that does win.

If Fifita and Tino left, they might not a **** game. Those dudes are absolute studs pissing away their careers
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fifita can be amazing. But he’s just not switched on. He is not interested in coming to Canberra, forget him! He takes the easy route every time. He’s never going to reach his very considerable potential.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I’m happy to switch our home base to the Gold Coast if it means we can sign Andrew.
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

RedRaider wrote: March 29, 2024, 6:37 pm

For me personally mate I look at it a bit more like this

Backrowers:

- Whitehead
- Young
- Hosking
- Corey
- Smithies
- Saulo

Then I think about who could play up front on rotation

- Paps
- Taps
- Gueler
- Mooney

For me personally 2025...

08 - Paps / Corey
10 - Taps / Mooney
11 - Fifita
12 - Hosking
13 - Young

16/17 - Smithies / Saulo, etc

I just think Whitehead, Gueler, don't have spots anymore (leg speed) so we start transitioning
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Ruben Daley wrote:
Canberra Milk wrote: March 28, 2024, 3:41 pm Guler/Saulo might start or bench at other clubs, but other clubs concentrate their spending in the spine, so are happy to take a hit in other positions. It's a model that works for them but with our spine, and inability to recruit marquee spine players, would be catastrophic for us.

I think this sums it up nicely.

It’s not about whether those guys are good enough for first grade or not. It’s whether they’re better than average or capable of getting there because that’s what we need.

I think the same argument applies to Hoppa and Cotric. Both good players who could get a gig elsewhere. But we need proper strike talent.

Ata and Trey are good first grade players now with the potential to be stars. Guler and Saulo are close to their max.
To clarify when I said Guler and Saulo would start at a number of clubs I was not justifying their position in our side I was answering the concern raised by someone else saying we had too many forwards already.

The fact that they would start at a number of clubs means they would be very easy to shop mid year.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

CrabLord wrote:

Isn’t that sort of the thing we have been missing out on? We have had the identity of brawlers and defensive heroes holding on to games. For once I would like to see us really put a team to the sword when we are well positioned and doing that.

Imo David is that destructive sort of player who can do that, whilst allowing for plenty of resilience across the side.
I want a forward pack that lays a platform that allows us to win the majority of games we play.

Fifita is a damaging ball runner in the attacking 40. Don't get me wrong, statistically he's the best in the business in that position. He's a matchwinner when he's switched on.

The only issue I have is that at the Titans he has been a highly paid passenger on many occasions and he's shown little interest in moving to Canberra.

I've never thought we were a genuine shot of signing him. I'm always a bit concerned about signing players with these sort of clauses in their contract. Not a huge amount of loyalty.

And then there's the small issue of an ACL injury.

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

greeneyed wrote: March 29, 2024, 8:48 pm Fifita can be amazing. But he’s just not switched on. He is not interested in coming to Canberra, forget him! He takes the easy route every time. He’s never going to reach his very considerable potential.
I agree to be honest.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote: If you and i are in alignment on something, then it's a wrap, brother.
I hope you’re not cheating on me and rule 72 with this floozy! Image
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Agree. Dave Taylor comparison rings true.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Fifita likes to be flogged every week. He won't move from the beach and nightclubs. He still gets paid.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: March 30, 2024, 8:20 pm Fifita likes to be flogged every week. He won't move from the beach and nightclubs. He still gets paid.
Half hearted more than half the time, no interest in committing to coming to Canberra. I’ve no idea why the Raiders would have any interest left.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I can not imagine watching David Fifita play and thinking "na, im good. I dont want that player"
Tonight, in a badly beaten team, in a terrible team... his impact on the game was felt. If he wanted to be here, we'd be **** fools to think we're too good for him and that we dont need or want him. We've got a **** hot forward pack, it's very good. He'd be the best player in the pack instantly. And you can argue that with a wall, i'm not interested.

If he becomes available again, i think we'll be interested and make serious offers and we should. But i dont expect that to be the case. He re-signed there for reasons that are his own and i dont think a tough start to the year changes much about that decision