The Politics Thread 2023

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: The Politics Thread 2023

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote: December 11, 2023, 6:33 pm Woke is a word **** go with when they don't like/can't understand a concept
Hahaha it really is, isn't it?
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

It really is.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk
This place is woke.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Actively cheering on the slaughter of babies, women and children in Gaza.

Cheering on Netanyahu even though he is widely despised even within Israel.

Why do all of your opinions suck :lol:
Up The Milk
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gangrenous wrote: December 11, 2023, 5:34 pm A dog whistle for the woke?

What in the actual…
I like it, it has a nice feel of using two terms one usually used in a derogatory fashion for the far right and one used usually in a derogatory fashion for the far left and mixes them together to make a nice little cookie.
samvucago
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jon Hardy

Post by samvucago »

The Nickman wrote: December 14, 2023, 10:02 am
-TW- wrote: December 11, 2023, 6:33 pm Woke is a word **** go with when they don't like/can't understand a concept
Hahaha it really is, isn't it?
The term “woke” nicely encapsulates people with the terrible affliction of arrogance and stupidity that are trying to scream and shout their “concepts” into reality.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I see that emerging unfortunately on this very site, cancel culture , GE is woke.

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

And the site will be broke if he continues down this road.

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Woke and broke.

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

He's driven out all the free spirits and he's left with labour voting bludgers.

This place is woke.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2023

Post by gangrenous »

papabear wrote:

What in the actual…
I like it, it has a nice feel of using two terms one usually used in a derogatory fashion for the far right and one used usually in a derogatory fashion for the far left and mixes them together to make a nice little cookie.
There’s a reason dog whistle is associated with the right. It’s because it only makes sense if you’re trying to communicate you stand solid with an anti-social view without triggering outrage, or at least giving yourself a plausible deniability.

It doesn’t make sense here (or generally at all with ‘left’ views) where your concern is someone overtly “telling you what you can’t say”. Which is the most extreme take on what is in that post.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Boomercm wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: December 10, 2023, 8:25 am I didn't see the EPL post, but from the article that Boomer posted, were they encouraging inclusion over performance? In a professional league? If so, then it is an embarrassing post.
I based my initial post on the article you read. I would have worded my criticism differently had I seen the original as posted by GE.

It was poor reporting by the article to over-emphasise the performance over inclusion aspect. It was there, but only a small part of it.

My error for not fact checking. I'm the first to point out that you can't trust news media to report stuff accurately nowadays. I was rushed/lazy and happy to believe what was written because it fit within my preconceptions.
I’ll take being mistaken for GE as a compliment.

Good of you to own your error in the last paragraph. But it still seems like you think there’s something untoward in the post at all based on your second paragraph.

There’s so many issues to work on in the world and you’re straining to find issues where there are none, from people doing their best to help. What a waste.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

So so many gangers, you must be really upset and down.

This place is woke.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think I hear something…
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

gangrenous wrote: December 15, 2023, 6:02 pm
Boomercm wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: December 10, 2023, 8:25 am I didn't see the EPL post, but from the article that Boomer posted, were they encouraging inclusion over performance? In a professional league? If so, then it is an embarrassing post.
I based my initial post on the article you read. I would have worded my criticism differently had I seen the original as posted by GE.

It was poor reporting by the article to over-emphasise the performance over inclusion aspect. It was there, but only a small part of it.

My error for not fact checking. I'm the first to point out that you can't trust news media to report stuff accurately nowadays. I was rushed/lazy and happy to believe what was written because it fit within my preconceptions.

Good of you to own your error in the last paragraph. But it still seems like you think there’s something untoward in the post at all based on your second paragraph.

There’s so many issues to work on in the world and you’re straining to find issues where there are none, from people doing their best to help. What a waste.
The woke ideology is easily the biggest single threat to a stable civilisation, imo. Intersectionality (reinforcing group identities based on immutable characteristics, creating the narrative of victims vs oppressors) combined with a religioun worthy self-righteousness and cancel culture. It's a recipe for disaster. You've had three racially based riots (France, BLM US, Ireland) I can think of in the last 3 years, coming from both sides of the divide. How many more would you like to see?

If you want an answer for 'why trump'? look no further.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gangrenous wrote: December 15, 2023, 5:54 pm
papabear wrote:

What in the actual…
There’s a reason dog whistle is associated with the right. It’s because it only makes sense if you’re trying to communicate you stand solid with an anti-social view without triggering outrage, or at least giving yourself a plausible deniability.

It doesn’t make sense here (or generally at all with ‘left’ views) where your concern is someone overtly “telling you what you can’t say”. Which is the most extreme take on what is in that post.
Didn’t the post say “do not say”

And my response was tbh at people don’t like being told do not say….

Obviously I appreciate the context behind the dog whistle term and why it was popularised. Same with woke.

However, I don’t think terms/ words / sentences should be confined to their historical context. I am proud of my creation. You don’t like it and can’t make sense of it through your perspective that’s fine, but I think trying to argue my term does not make sense from an objective perspective is just weaker then skim milk.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

an excellent article covering recent events.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ge/676350/
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Boomercm wrote:
Boomercm wrote:

The woke ideology is easily the biggest single threat to a stable civilisation, imo. Intersectionality (reinforcing group identities based on immutable characteristics, creating the narrative of victims vs oppressors) combined with a religioun worthy self-righteousness and cancel culture. It's a recipe for disaster. You've had three racially based riots (France, BLM US, Ireland) I can think of in the last 3 years, coming from both sides of the divide. How many more would you like to see?

Woke ideology the biggest threat to stable civilisation?! Utterly ridiculous.

Those BLM riots just spontaneously combusted out of wokeness did it? Not the systemic racism. **** me… Image
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2023

Post by gangrenous »

papabear wrote:
papabear wrote:

What in the actual…

Obviously I appreciate the context behind the dog whistle term and why it was popularised. Same with woke.

However, I don’t think terms/ words / sentences should be confined to their historical context. I am proud of my creation. You don’t like it and can’t make sense of it through your perspective that’s fine, but I think trying to argue my term does not make sense from an objective perspective is just weaker then skim milk.
It was listing out things you could say as helpful, and things not to say to not be a jerk. It held no authority. And even with your interpretation, do you disagree with any of the points? Or just a child who sees “do not” and throws a tantrum?

Last paragraph - your use of the term is objectively wrong. But if you like it, go for it.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

gangrenous wrote: December 16, 2023, 9:26 am
Boomercm wrote:
Boomercm wrote:

Woke ideology the biggest threat to stable civilisation?! Utterly ridiculous.

Those BLM riots just spontaneously combusted out of wokeness did it? Not the systemic racism. **** me… Image
Systemic racism is up there with the biggest propaganda lies in the history of propaganda.

Why would people from all races and religions, from all over the world, be desperate to move to these civilisations that were systemically racist? And away from their own. It's laughable. There is no anti-racism (the supposed antidote to systemic racism) policy that has ever shown any benefit. Ever. Period.

I am happy for you to put out your three best pieces of evidence for systemic racism, and I will happily and easily dismantle them. The only rule is the evidence can't begin with 'my truth'.

Historical racism (and some remaining actual racism) is a real thing. Systemic racism is a grift. A big fat dangerous grift.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Why do people move from countries involved in decades long conflict, poverty, starvation and just all around **** situations to places with better prospects? Seriously, is that your question?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2023

Post by gangrenous »

I assume he spent so long down a right wing rabbit hole in Covid that he’s lost all sense of the real world…

As for Boomer’s evidence of systemic racism - What’s your definition? Sounds like you’ll only count overt stuff like white Australia policies.

If there’s no bias in the system why are white males pretty well over represented in the good stuff? While the bad stuff like prison rates and deaths in police custody are well over-represented in the opposite direction?

Even if you put the very best spin on that - that it’s entirely inherited disadvantage from past inequality, is that what you’d accept? You’d just say “oh yeah, people like me are naturally going to struggle and watch others succeed and I’ll just be happy that it *might* not be anything actively against me” whilst that doesn’t gel with many interactions you live?

Meanwhile your struggle in life is someone made a sign that told you you shouldn’t be a prick and that’s threatening the world in your view.

It’s sad.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

So sad gangers, greta and the gang is with you brother, you can always find a social media site and all cry together.

This place is woke.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2023

Post by gangrenous »

There’s that noise again…

Edit - and now you’ve doxxed me and sharing photos of me. Not cool man.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

gerg wrote: December 16, 2023, 11:52 am Why do people move from countries involved in decades long conflict, poverty, starvation and just all around **** situations to places with better prospects? Seriously, is that your question?

No my question was to give me your best three pieces of evidence. Give it a go.

(1) give me a definition for systemic racism

(2) give me your three best pieces of evidence to support it

Noting 1 and 2 can't be the same. E.g., You can't say that systemic racism IS differences in prison rates, and then use prison rates as your evidence.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

gangrenous wrote: December 16, 2023, 11:54 am I assume he spent so long down a right wing rabbit hole in Covid that he’s lost all sense of the real world…

As for Boomer’s evidence of systemic racism - What’s your definition? Sounds like you’ll only count overt stuff like white Australia policies.

If there’s no bias in the system why are white males pretty well over represented in the good stuff? While the bad stuff like prison rates and deaths in police custody are well over-represented in the opposite direction?

Even if you put the very best spin on that - that it’s entirely inherited disadvantage from past inequality, is that what you’d accept? You’d just say “oh yeah, people like me are naturally going to struggle and watch others succeed and I’ll just be happy that it *might* not be anything actively against me” whilst that doesn’t gel with many interactions you live?

Meanwhile your struggle in life is someone made a sign that told you you shouldn’t be a prick and that’s threatening the world in your view.

It’s sad.
Happy to give you every advantage here. You can set the definition. And you can use whatever evidence you like from all over the world. There's more research in the US, so happy for you to utilise that data set.

Give it a go.

Only noting that 1 and 2 can't be the same. E.g., You can't say that systemic racism IS differences in prison rates, and then use prison rates as your evidence.

EDIT: you claimed earlier that the BLM riots were due to this 'systemic racism', so you obviously had something in mind re a definition. Keep that in the back of your mind too. Your definition and evidence should help support that statement.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Boomercm wrote:
gerg wrote: December 16, 2023, 11:52 am Why do people move from countries involved in decades long conflict, poverty, starvation and just all around **** situations to places with better prospects? Seriously, is that your question?

Noting 1 and 2 can't be the same. E.g., You can't say that systemic racism IS differences in prison rates, and then use prison rates as your evidence.
So a sentence beginning with "why" and ending with a question mark isn't a question?

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Boomercm wrote:

My definition is that people of colour will over the course of their life end up with less return for their effort, experiencing conscious and unconscious discrimination.

I gave an example above with prison rates. I doubt you’re going to try and argue African Americans aren’t grossly overrepresented in most prison stats? Would George Floyd have been murdered in the same situation if he was white? Are you going to try and claim that was one bad egg and African Americans aren’t statistically more at risk from that sort of response?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I mean one of the clearest and most obvious example of systemic racism is voter supression laws and gerrymandering in the US political system.

Voting laws quite deliberately are designed to supress voting in very specific demographics and electoral lines are drawn in the most absurd, and again, specific way to ensure the party holding power maximises its chances to retain power

Voter supression laws and gerrymandering overwhelmingly disadvantage and disenfranchise minority groups based on race. Polticial systems gain and retain power on the back of minipulating the democratic systems to target and oppress minority voices. Doesn't get more systematically racist than that if we're being honest.
Last edited by Botman on December 17, 2023, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

gangrenous wrote: December 16, 2023, 6:11 pm
Boomercm wrote:

My definition is that people of colour will over the course of their life end up with less return for their effort, experiencing conscious and unconscious discrimination.

I gave an example above with prison rates. I doubt you’re going to try and argue African Americans aren’t grossly overrepresented in most prison stats? Would George Floyd have been murdered in the same situation if he was white? Are you going to try and claim that was one bad egg and African Americans aren’t statistically more at risk from that sort of response?
Appreciate this reply. I will get on this but might take a few days.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

A few days is well overkill.

Just tell us what you disagree with. Don’t need a researched essay if we can agree/disagree at a conceptual level.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gangrenous wrote: December 16, 2023, 9:31 am
papabear wrote:
papabear wrote:

What in the actual…

It was listing out things you could say as helpful, and things not to say to not be a jerk. It held no authority. And even with your interpretation, do you disagree with any of the points? Or just a child who sees “do not” and throws a tantrum?

Last paragraph - your use of the term is objectively wrong. But if you like it, go for it.
To some degree we are communicating at cross purposes

I have no qualms with anything you or most posters wrote here.

I was just commenting on the actual post from the soccer federation more about the sloppiness of the words and then got excited by my term..

Happy for you to share your comments on whatever on this one but yeah I’m all good.. also no tantrum here ;).
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Israel are lurching from one war crime to the next, bombing hospitals, slaughtering journalists and indiscriminately killing civilians in Gaza to the extent that they are now murdering their own white flag waving hostages.

Absolute PR disaster for them.

And pretty soon the only people who will be supporting them will be Zionists, geopolitical ideologues like Boomer and trolls like Q.
Up The Milk
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

Mickey_Raider wrote: December 18, 2023, 4:44 pm Israel are lurching from one war crime to the next, bombing hospitals, slaughtering journalists and indiscriminately killing civilians in Gaza to the extent that they are now murdering their own white flag waving hostages.

Absolute PR disaster for them.

And pretty soon the only people who will be supporting them will be Zionists, geopolitical ideologues like Boomer and trolls like Q.

You know that anyone that believes that the Jewish people should have Israel as a home is a zionist, right?

That's everybody except the Palestinians*. I'd say it is everybody except Hamas but that isn't really true. You can break the Palestinians into two groups. Those that want to eradicate Israel by terrorist means, and those that want to eradicate Israel by political means. There has never been a group of Palestinians that recognise Israel and will negotiate a solution with them. Someone needs to inform them that when you lose a war, and if you care about your people at all, the thing to do is surrender and make peace.

*and the Harvard-esque-woke
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Why haven’t you surrendered and made peace with me after you lost our argument?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Dont wait by the letterbox, Gangers