2024 Canberra Raiders NSW Cup

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2024 Canberra Raiders NSW Cup

Post by Botman »

Good win! Well done lads
Looking forward to catching the highlights… a shame that’s all we’ll get :(
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Good start, it bodes well for the enthusiasm across the squad. Great to see all but one try going to a back as well.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Currently top of the ladder in both grades 🪜

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha Jed Stuart scored in the first minute? Pick that one out of the net, dubby!
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

The Nickman wrote:Hahaha Jed Stuart scored in the first minute? Pick that one out of the net, dubby!
He only got over the line because he’s Ricky’s son!
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The Nickman wrote: March 7, 2024, 9:50 pm Hahaha Jed Stuart scored in the first minute? Pick that one out of the net, dubby!
There's a whole season of cup with Jed showing talent at that level if people feel their nets are not full enough. Seems like we're in for more of the same this year.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The Schiller try was a cracker. Knights put up a high ball to our defensive left. Chevy takes the ball and runs about 40 meters across field beating about 3 defenders on the way, he then passes to Schiller who goes 80 meters also beating tacklers on the way to the try line. Schiller the thriller strikes again.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH REPORT: Canberra Raiders cruise to victory over Newcastle Knights

The Canberra Raiders cruised to a 38-22 victory against the Newcastle Knights at Hunter Stadium, who were unable to head the green Machine at any stage of the NSW Cup season opener.

James Schiller’s second try was as scintillating as it was pivotal to the result. Newcastle had wrestled the momentum back after scoring on both sides of half-time and had reduced the lead to 12 points when Chevy Stewart took the ball on his own line. He picked up Schiller who raced 90 metres to score to extend the margin to 18 points and extinguish any hope of a comeback.

Read more: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2024/03/0 ... htsRaiders
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Will we get highlights of this game? If so, where?
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

We should get highlights, it's usually the next day but maybe on Saturday for a Thursday game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ruben Daley wrote: March 8, 2024, 12:08 pm Will we get highlights of this game? If so, where?
The NSWRL publishes a package of highlights of all the weekend’s games on their website. We put up a link to them here when available. If the games are featured on NSWRL TV, they will sometimes put them up as a special package for that game only.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Thanks, pals.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2024 NSW Cup Round 2: Canberra Raiders v Western Suburbs Magpies

Canberra Raiders v Western Suburbs Magpies
Saturday 16 March, 12:40pm
Canberra Stadium
Broadcast: Fox League, Channel 502

Canberra Raiders

1. Chevy Stewart 2. Michael Asomua 3. James Schiller 4. Manaia Waitere 5. Jed Stuart 6. Kaeo Weekes 7. Adam Cook 8. Peter Hola 9. Zac Woolford 10. Trey Mooney 11. Mitchell Spencer 12. Simi Sasagi 13. Hohepa Puru

14. Adrian Trevilyan 15. Peter Taateo 16. Loghan Lewis 19. Prinston Esera

18. Lachlan Lewis

Western Suburbs Magpies

1. Heath Mason 2. Solomon Alaimalo 3. Ryan Garner 4. Declan Casey 5. Alex Lobb 6. Iverson Matai 7. Noah Ryan 8. Reuben Porter 9. Jake Simpkin 10. Josh Finau 11. Sione Vaihu 12. Tony Sukkar 13. Justin Matamua

14. James Valevatu 15. Tallyn Da Silva 16. Kit Laulilii 17. Gordon Whippy

18. Jay Kirk

Last round: The Canberra Raiders produced a strong first up win in the 2024 NSW Cup, beating the Newcastle Knights on their home ground, 38-22. The Raiders were first to score through winger Jed Stuart in the second minute of the game. The Knights struck back just five minutes later, with a try to centre Fletcher Myers. But the Raiders soon took control of the match, playing an open, free flowing brand of attacking football.

In the 15th minute, lock and captain Hohepa Puru took advantage of a repeat set, going right through the middle of the Knights' pack to score beside the posts. Michael Asomua crossed in the corner in the 20th minute, after a huge, looping cut out pass from Kaeo Weekes. A slick, short pass from Weekes put James Schiller on a run to the try line four minutes later. Next, Weekes scored himself, backing up on the outside after a great break from Chevy Stewart. Four tries inside the space of 15 minutes. Raiders on fire. Raiders in charge at 28-4.

The Raiders threatened again just before half time, but the Knights took advantage of a loose pass. Fullback Fletcher Sharpe swooped and ran 60 metres to score. Newcastle trailed by 18 at the break. But Sharpe was back in the thick of the action three minutes into the second half. A grubber to the in goal could not be cleaned up by Chevy Stewart - and Sharpe pounced on the ball just inside the dead ball line. The Knights had the momentum and were within striking distance.

But their hopes of a miracle comeback were quickly crushed. James Schiller scored a stunning try in the 52nd minute. With the Raiders trapped near their own goal line, Chevy Stewart went on a cross field run, searching for a weakness in the Newcastle line. He found it, putting Schiller on a 90 metre run down the right touch line, who fended off defenders on the way.

The ensuing short kick off from the Knights failed to go 10 metres. And the Raiders again took advantage, with centre Manaia Waitere scoring in the 57th minute off a red zone scrum play. Newcastle second rower Thomas Cant produced an impressive try from 40 metres out in the 74th minute. But by then it was all too late.

The Raiders ended the match with a 51 per cent possession share - and had a slight advantage in metres gained (1443-1359). The Knights made more tackle breaks (38-34) and metres per set (41-39). But Canberra made eight line breaks, Newcastle just three. Errors also proved costly for the Knights (12-8).

Michael Asomua (212) produced the most running metres for Canberra, followed by James Schiller (163), Hohepa Puru (152) and Trey Mooney (139). Puru (41), Mooney (30) and Zac Woolford (28) topped the tackle count. Kaeo Weekes posted two try assists, while Chevy Stewart produced one try assist and two line break assists. Puru and Schiller both made five tackle breaks, Stewart four.

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Raiders v Knights: Click here

This round: In Round 2, the Raiders host the Western Suburbs Magpies at Canberra Stadium. The Magpies had a bye in the first round of the competition, so we're yet to see how they're shaping in 2024. However, they didn't have the best season in 2023. They finished in 11th place on the ladder, posting an 8 and 14 record, with two draws. They averaged 21 points scored per match, but conceded 29 per match.

Team news: The Raiders top 17 is unchanged from last week. Lachlan Lewis replaces Toby Thorburn as the 18th man.

2024 season record: Raiders: 1 and 0 (2nd, +16)
Magpies: NA
Form: Raiders: WWWLW
Magpies: LLLLW
Last five: Raiders 3, Magpies 2
Recent meetings: 2023 Round 23 Raiders 28 defeated Magpies 22 at Raiders Belconnen
2023 Round 14 Magpies 26 defeated Raiders 18 at Lidcombe Oval
2022 Round 22 Raiders 26 defeated Magpies 22 at Leichhardt Oval
2022 Round 3 Raiders 47 defeated Magpies 24 at Canberra Stadium
2021 Round 11 Magpies 36 defeated Raiders 22 at Lidcombe Oval
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That Knights fullback has some jets on him

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Who was the final pass for our 3rd try? Very nice ball!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: March 8, 2024, 9:19 pm Who was the final pass for our 3rd try? Very nice ball!
You didn't read the story, did you? :(
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: March 8, 2024, 9:26 pm
Botman wrote: March 8, 2024, 9:19 pm Who was the final pass for our 3rd try? Very nice ball!
You didn't read the story, did you? :(
I have…. Now
:lol:
great ball from Weekes
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Puru and Mooney sure putting their hands up again, at least statically

I am going to get irrationally upset when Hoppa holds a spot over Cotric who is a far superior player and dudes who don’t know ball and value bulk running metres will argue with me all year and it’ll all be naught because that’s Asomua’s jersey sooner than later
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Looks like from the highlights Chevy, Schiller and Weekes (although he dropped one in the clear) had good games. Schiller would be my first back up back 5.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

From the highlights Weeks looked like he had a really good game with the ball in hand. Nice pass cut out pass to Asomua out on the wing, beautiful short ball to Schiller and also crossed himself for a try.

All this on the right hand side though. Looks like our 3 best halves are all right hand side players.

Fog played a bit on the left during the Knights game but Strange did not reciprocate and was permanently left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Schiller keeps picking up highlights. Nice ball playing from Weekes.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I really like what I see from Schiller. Was unlucky not to be playing firsts.
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

Waitere looks a decent prospect from the highlights.

The Colonel is on Kayo today for those interested.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-TW- wrote:That Knights fullback has some jets on him

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Fletcher Sharpe, Cessnock lad and very very handy cricketer - played country nsw u16s from memory.
I think he'll be an nrl player before too long, he's gone from SG ball to top 30 this season

Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gangrenous wrote:I really like what I see from Schiller. Was unlucky not to be playing firsts.
scored a 90m try but only clocked 163m for the match, is that good enough? I'm not convinced

Edrick The Entertainer
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Looking at the other stats it's well above par for the match or on par if you take away the try. 23m per run ;)
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I like Schiller but you couldn't have him over Hopper this week

Edrick The Entertainer
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2024 Canberra Raiders NSW Cup

Post by gangrenous »

bonehead wrote:
gangrenous wrote:I really like what I see from Schiller. Was unlucky not to be playing firsts.
scored a 90m try but only clocked 163m for the match, is that good enough? I'm not convinced

As long as you’re taking the longest run off everyone else in your comparison too. I doubt that’s far off the money…

And you know… 80m try counts for a little something when others can’t do it.
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

I know NSW cup are supposed to play the same systems as the NRL but its pretty clear the backs weren’t used as much for making tough runs.

It’s hard to tell whats sarcasm these days bur think Schiller is a better wing option anyway where he is streets ahead of Hoppa.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gangrenous wrote:
bonehead wrote:

As long as you’re taking the longest run off everyone else in your comparison too. I doubt that’s far off the money…

And you know… 80m try counts for a little something when others can’t do it.
I think he's proven on a level with Hoppa and Savage, to get in front of those guys he needs to score those 80m efforts but also put up the work rate.
Those 80m opportunities don't come in nrl often so yes being able to do it is big, we know sav can do it, we know hoppa can't but to his credit Hoppa out worked the entire team on Thursday night round 1 bought the other 16 players a week of match fitness which Schiller didn't do in cup.

Edrick The Entertainer
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Just watched the highlights… my god Kaeo Weekes looks good. Also, anyone who thinks James Schiller is slow is having a proper old laff imo.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Schiller too good for that level
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Is Lachlan Lewis Wally Lewis' nephew, the same one who went to the Bulldogs?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

No he's a young second rower.