2024 Canberra Raiders NSW Cup

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: 2024 Canberra Raiders NSW Cup

Post by Seiffert82 »

Rick wrote:
-PJ- wrote:How’s The Colonel goin ?
Does he look better than Cook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not really to be honest, but he does have a good kicking game. Looks OK defensively too. He's definitely not a running halfback. He needs a 9 who can give him a bit of width.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

77th min TRY RAIDERS to Trey Mooney. Bashing the door down the first grade again. That attacking move went the length, in about three plays. Adam Cook converts!

Canberra Raiders 30
Parramatta Eels 6

FULL TIME

MATCH REPORT: Raiders bounce back over Eels in NSW Cup

The Canberra Raiders NSW Cup's strong start to the season continued on Sunday afternoon after a 30-6 victory over the Parramatta Eels at Canberra Stadium. Raiders halfback Adam Cook was instrumental to the win.

After an even start to the contest, an error from Parramatta fullback Ethyn Martin provided the Raiders with the first set of quality field position for the afternoon. The Raiders only needed two tackles to take advantage with a beautiful short side raid orchestrated by Adam Cook, providing a pass for Jed Stuart to go over untouched.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2024/04 ... t-nsw-cup/

MATCH REPORT: Green machine turn up the heat on Eels at Canberra Stadium: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2024/04/0 ... aidersEels
Last edited by The Greenhouse on April 7, 2024, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Greenhouse score update service
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Some good backing up from Stewart after a break from the dropped ball from Parra.

Nice to see Mooney run hard for the try. Solid 65 minutes from him.

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I take it Mooney outplayed Guler?

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Good effort. They are a good team to watch.

I thought Cotric had a solid second half and looked much better than last week. Asomua back to his best as well.

The non top 30 guys played really well this week. Cook for sure but players like Taateo and Stuart were strong. There wasn’t really anyone who played badly.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, Mooney definitely had more impact than Guler. To be fair, Parramatta have a solid forward pack and Guler was in the middle when the game was quite physical early. As the game went on it opened up a bit and Mooney stood out a bit more than he did early on.

I like how he consistently ran with intent.

Last edited by Seiffert82 on April 7, 2024, 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

Sid wrote: April 7, 2024, 5:41 pm I take it Mooney outplayed Guler?

Guler was pretty good.

Mooney is playing huge minutes and did a lot of damage at the end so he wouldve been better over the game. When he does come in they might be wanting him to be able to start pretty quickly.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Noticed Mooney was captain. Hope that shows the Raiders intent

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Mooney was Cup captain most of last year.

I would assume because he's been in the 19 a couple of times they gave it to Puru to start with

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Cook seems like he'd struggle defensively in first grade but he's worth throwing a small contract at if he's happy to play back up and understand where his place is in the preferred spine at the moment. That all changes if Sanders takes an extra year to develop or we get a couple of injuries.

How did Noah Martin go?
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

Didn’t look out of place and was strong defensively. He had heavy strapping on one leg though and didn’t last the distance. Not sure if it was planned.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Cheers. Probably the leg he was out with last year. Don't expect to see his best fitness until next year. Especially coming up a grade.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2024 NSW Cup Round 6: Canberra Raiders v Canterbury Bulldogs

Canberra Raiders v Canterbury Bulldogs
Sunday 14 April, 4:00pm
Canberra Stadium
Broadcast: No broadcast or live stream available

Canberra Raiders

1. TBA 2. Michael Asomua 3. Nick Cotric 4. Manaia Waitere 5. Jed Stuart 6. Kaeo Weekes 7. Adam Cook 8. Emre Guler 9. Zac Woolford 10. Peter Hola 11. Mitchell Spencer 12. Noah Martin 13. Hohepa Puru (c)

14. Adrian Trevilyan 16. Luke Webley 21. Peter Taateo 18. Loghan Lewis

Canterbury Bulldogs

1. Joash Papalii 2. Jeral Skelton 3. Hayze Perham 4. Reece Hoffman 5. Eli Clark 6. Bailey Biondi-Odo 7. Joseph O'Neill 8. Liam Knight 9. Jake Turpin 10. Zane Tetevano 11. Lachlan Vale 12. Harry Hayes 13. Lipoi Hopoi

14. Romano Cook 15. Jordan Samrani 16. Jirah Momoisea 17. Jack Todd

Last round: The Canberra Raiders scored seven tries in a 30-6 victory over the Parramatta Eels at Canberra Stadium on Sunday afternoon. The win means the Raiders are still undefeated, and sit in second place on the ladder, behind the Panthers.

Canberra half Adam Cook set up the first three tries for the Raiders, two of them with long passes to winger Jed Stuart. His kick ahead to the in goal also set up centre Manaia Waitere for a four pointer. That delivered a 12-6 lead to the home team at the 30 minute mark. Cook initiated and backed up to score a try of his own near the 60th minute. He was in everything. It wasn't his day with the boot, however. He missed five conversion attempts, before landing his sixth attempt just before full time. Kaeo Weekes also missed a goal. To be fair to the kickers, almost all of the attempts were from the sideline.

Raiders winger Michael Asomua bagged a double in the second half, while Trey Mooney got a very well deserved try with two minutes remaining. He just crashed over. Mooney was named captain for the match, with Hohepa Puru starting from the bench. Former Raiders forward Makahesi Makatoa produced the only try for the Eels in the 23rd minute of the game.

The Raiders had 60 per cent share of possession - and almost 10 minutes more than the Eels with the ball in hand. No wonder when you look at the completion rates (Raiders 84 per cent, Eels 64 per cent) and the error count (Eels 13, Raiders eight). The Eels also posted more infringements than the Raiders (11-7). Canberra dominated all the attacking statistics. They made over 550 more running metres and 200 more post contact metres than the Eels. Canberra produced more line breaks (6-4), tackle breaks (42-32) and offloads (8-4). The Raiders also posted over 350 more kicking metres than the Eels. Parramatta had a much heavier defensive workload - and missed more tackles (42-32) and recorded more ineffective tackles (16-8).

Trey Mooney (239) topped the running metres for the Raiders, coming in ahead of Chevy Stewart (198), Michael Asomua (196), Peter Hola (174) and Emre Guler (172). Adam Cook produced three try assists, while Nick Cotric got two - giving the final pass for the Asomua tries. Jed Stuart and Asomua both posted two line breaks. Stewart made eight tackle breaks, Mooney seven. Mooney (29) led the tackle count, followed by Zac Woolford (25), Mitch Spencer (23), Noah Martin (22) and Hohepa Puru (22). Cook, Mooney and Stewart were the best performers all round.

This round: In Round 6, the Raiders host the Canterbury Bulldogs at Canberra Stadium. The Bulldogs are coming off a 20-14 win over the Roosters at Belmore Sports Ground on Saturday. It was 10 all at half time, but tries to halfback Cassius Tia and winger Jeral Skelton gave the home team a 10 point advantage with just over 10 minutes remaining. A late try to Roosters centre Kyron Fekitoa was not enough. It was the Bulldogs' third win of the season - having produced narrow wins over the Eels (38-36) and Rabbitohs (22-20) in the opening month.

Team news: Chevy Stewart will make his NRL debut this week, but the Raiders have yet to name his replacement in NSW Cup. Trey Mooney has also been selected in first grade, meaning Peter Hola will start at prop and Hohepa Puru at lock.

2024 season record: Raiders: 4 and 0, 1 draw (2nd, +116)
Bulldogs 3 and 2 (7th, -26)
Form: Raiders: WWWDW
Bulldogs: WLLWW
Recent meetings: 2023 Round 25 Raiders 40 defeated Bulldogs 12 at Raiders Belconnen
2023 Round 10 Raiders 10 drew Bulldogs 10 at HE Laybutt Field
2022 Round 19 Bulldogs 39 defeated Raiders 26 at Canberra Stadium
2022 Round 2 Bulldogs 48 defeated Raiders 12 at Stadium Australia
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

I wonder what the plan is for fullback? Waitere has played a fair bit there so I guess he may get the spot and Esera plays up again.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

That'd be my guess as well. In previous years, maybe even last, I would have expected Cotric to move to fullback and Esera to centre. Cook has played fullback before as well but I think he's left that behind. Far more valuable to the side as the 7.
Henderson is also an option to come up into the halves and you move Weekes to fullback, but cup all feeds off what you want in firsts so I'd expect Kaeo to stay put.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Got to feel a bit sorry for Weeks. From all reports he was a whisker (or a second trial) away from playing 6 for us this year then Strange plays the way he did in the second trial, starts the year how he has, gets offered 700k a year and here we are.

Now Chev gets a crack at fullback and he is still in Cup.

Hard to see a way into the side for him without injuries.

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Rick wrote:Got to feel a bit sorry for Weeks. From all reports he was a whisker (or a second trial) away from playing 6 for us this year then Strange plays the way he did in the second trial, starts the year how he has, gets offered 700k a year and here we are.

I'd have Kaeo in the 14 over starling, I'd back Weekes, Fogarty and Strange to cover hooker for 20mins

Edrick The Entertainer
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

bonehead wrote: April 9, 2024, 8:46 pm
Rick wrote:Got to feel a bit sorry for Weeks. From all reports he was a whisker (or a second trial) away from playing 6 for us this year then Strange plays the way he did in the second trial, starts the year how he has, gets offered 700k a year and here we are.

I'd have Kaeo in the 14 over starling, I'd back Weekes, Fogarty and Strange to cover hooker for 20mins

Yeah, I like the look of Weekes and think he has a lot to offer as a 14. Better speed, hands and passing than current Starling. Might lack a bit in the defensive comparison though.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Cranky Old Man wrote:
bonehead wrote: April 9, 2024, 8:46 pm

Yeah, I like the look of Weekes and think he has a lot to offer as a 14. Better speed, hands and passing than current Starling. Might lack a bit in the defensive comparison though.
definitely but starling not offering pretty much anything this season

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Billing hoping to push his way into Raiders NSW Cup team

Pat Carrigan has become one of the stars of the NRL and now the Broncos ironman’s cousin is on the rise. Goondiwindi product Josh Billing is pressing his claims for a start in Canberra’s NSW Cup side.

“Like Pat, Josh is as tough as nails,” said his agent Jeff Jurotte, who also manages Carrigan. “He is nearly Pat’s height and weighs about 93kg. He is a good country kid. Josh’s dad is Pat’s mother’s brother, so they get on really well as cousins. Josh went to Marist Ashgrove (in Brisbane) as a centre, but Canberra thought he would develop into a second-rower and that’s where he is now playing. He will get some time this year in the NSW Cup and like Pat, he has the desire to play NRL.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... c0f7b25a45

Playing Queanbeyan Blues at present.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

NoMan wrote: April 9, 2024, 6:28 pm I wonder what the plan is for fullback? Waitere has played a fair bit there so I guess he may get the spot and Esera plays up again.
I just presumed it was Hopoate.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of today’s NSW Cup clash between the Canberra Raiders and Canterbury Bulldogs at Canberra Stadium. Kickoff is at 4:00 pm. There is no live stream or broadcast of this match. But we will have live scores right here in this thread.

Here are the final team line ups.

Canberra Raiders

4. Manaia Waitere 2. Michael Asomua 15. Simi Sasagi 19. Prinston Esera 3. Nick Cotric 20. Mitch Henderson 7. Adam Cook 8. Emre Guler 9. Zac Woolford 10. Peter Hola 11. Mitchell Spencer 12. Noah Martin 13. Hohepa Puru (c)

14. Adrian Trevilyan 16. Luke Webley 18. Loghan Lewis 21. Peter Taateo

17. Lachlan Lewis

Canterbury Bulldogs

1. Joash Papalii 2. Jeral Skelton 3. Hayze Perham 4. Reece Hoffman 5. Eli Clark 6. Bailey Biondi-Odo 7. Joseph O'Neill 8. Liam Knight 9. Toby Sexton (c) 10. Zane Tetevano 12. Harry Hayes 19. Kitione Kautoga 17. Jack Todd

11. Lachlan Vale 14. Romano Cook 15. Fahmy Toilalo 16. Jirah Momoisea

20. Penioni Tagituimua
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

With Kaeo Weekes out, there might be something to the rumours of Ethan Stange being in doubt for firsts.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Bulldogs kick off in NSW Cup, we are underway.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

4th min TRY RAIDERS to centre Prinston Esera… and Adam Cook cannot convert from out wide.

Raiders 4-0
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

9th min TRY RAIDERS to Peter Hola under the posts, off a dummy half pass from Simon Woolford. Adam Cook gets the conversion from in front.

Raiders 10-0
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

18th min TRY RAIDERS to Nick Cotric in the corner, off a superb long pass, Adam Cook we think. Cook gets the goal from the sideline.

Raiders 16-0
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

The Greenhouse wrote: April 14, 2024, 3:22 pm With Kaeo Weekes out, there might be something to the rumours of Ethan Stange being in doubt for firsts.
Strange definitely is not out.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Asomua nails Clark in the corner for a great try saving tackle.

Cotric having a few great long runs. Looks focussed.

The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

32nd min TRY BULLDOGS to Lachlan Vale, almost under the posts. A little lucky. Converted Toby Sexton.

Raiders 16-6
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

HALF TIME

Canberra Raiders 16
Canterbury Bulldogs 6
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

41st min TRY BULLDOGS to second rower Harry Hayes. That’s poor defence. The Raiders conceded a try virtually from the kick off. No conversion Toby Sexton.

Raiders 16-10
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

The Greenhouse wrote: April 14, 2024, 4:55 pm 41st min TRY BULLDOGS to second rower Harry Hayes. That’s poor defence. The Raiders conceded a try virtually from the kick off. No conversion Toby Sexton.

Raiders 16-10
That was quick!! Cmon boys!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

50th min TRY BULLDOGS to Kitione Kautoga. This is not a great start to the second half for Canberra. Converted Toby Sexton. The Raiders have just thrown away a good lead.

Raiders 16
Bulldogs 16
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

We keep on turning the ball over. The Dogs now on a roll, making big metres every set.