Raiders player signing speculation 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2024

Post by Rick »

I think the lure for Galvin to play alongside Cleary, Yeo, Edwards and potentially win premierships eases some of the money concerns .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MJY
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by MJY »

Vossy is worse than the Supercoach whisperer..
He has turned into 'old man yells at cloud' the last year or 2
He and blocker don't even know half the rules or players names
Anything he says should be taken with a bottle of saxa salt
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Don't think Galvin will be leaving Tigers. Latu Finau is another young gun who will likely depart. Could be to Penrith.

The fact is, Penrith will always be a factor as long as Nathan is the 7. He makes Scott Sorenson look like an elite player. Anyone who can do that is always going to be a threat.

All I can say is, I am glad we don't have these problems right now. Was excellent business to sign Strange and Chevy long term.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Sandon Smith from the chooks is a guy I'd be keen to pursue as a 9.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Rick wrote: April 18, 2024, 7:29 pm I think the lure for Galvin to play alongside Cleary, Yeo, Edwards and potentially win premierships eases some of the money concerns .

The tigers will pay him near enough to a mil a year, the panthers won’t pay more than 600k
He’s not sacrificing that sort of money. Forget about it. Pipe dream stuff

I would expect the panthers to use the JFH money to pick up a cheap veteran like NAS and supplement that with a younger cheaper player (like Mooney)
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 18, 2024, 7:43 pm Sandon Smith from the chooks is a guy I'd be keen to pursue as a 9.
I’d go the other Smith
That contract has been a disaster for them, he’s not played very well although I thought his last few weeks before I left were solid

He’d be a big bet and one that could go wrong… but it’s a bet I’d make eyes open about the risk involved
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Botman wrote: April 18, 2024, 7:53 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: April 18, 2024, 7:43 pm Sandon Smith from the chooks is a guy I'd be keen to pursue as a 9.
I’d go the other Smith
That contract has been a disaster for them, he’s not played very well although I thought his last few weeks before I left were solid

He’d be a big bet and one that could go wrong… but it’s a bet I’d make eyes open about the risk involved
I don't think he is a 9 tbh, and I don't think he is professional enough. He has put on more weight (fat) since joining the chooks. I love him as a character but don't know if he drives the right message/sets an example I'm after. He'd probably compliment our pack quite well though.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

I’d go the other Smith

He's been really good the last month, imo the roosters pack let him down last year, he's very very good off front foot ball. Not a crafty 9 like Smith, Egan, Hodgson etc but get him behind a good pack and he adds a different dimension to your attack.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 18, 2024, 8:01 pm
I’d go the other Smith

I don't think he is a 9 tbh, and I don't think he is professional enough. He has put on more weight (fat) since joining the chooks. I love him as a character but don't know if he drives the right message/sets an example I'm after. He'd probably compliment our pack quite well though.
Brandon: “Oh Papa and Taps, you guys are so big and handsome!”
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:
Rick wrote: April 18, 2024, 7:29 pm I think the lure for Galvin to play alongside Cleary, Yeo, Edwards and potentially win premierships eases some of the money concerns .

The tigers will pay him near enough to a mil a year, the panthers won’t pay more than 600k

I would expect the panthers to use the JFH money to pick up a cheap veteran like NAS and supplement that with a younger cheaper player (like Mooney)
Tigers have Luai on 1.2, Fainu 650, bud Sullivan 650, they can't have Galvin on 650 as well. They'll have to shift at both Fainu and Bud if they want to keep Galvin.

Panthers have a mill to spend off JFH and Luai after topping up others and the high chance of May going to replace manu

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

We should go after Galvin and give him the 6. Strange is a centre.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

bonehead wrote: April 19, 2024, 8:56 am
Botman wrote:

Tigers have Luai on 1.2, Fainu 650, bud Sullivan 650, they can't have Galvin on 650 as well. They'll have to shift at both Fainu and Bud if they want to keep Galvin.

Panthers have a mill to spend off JFH and Luai after topping up others and the high chance of May going to replace manu

I thought Fainu was $500k and Sullivan $450k
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Either way that’s 2 guys taking up 1 million dollars of cap space that are not going to get a run if they go with Galvin and Luai.

Issue I see is a half pairing of Galvin and Luai won’t work unless Luai can drastically turn into a 7.

Tigers have already mentioned Galvin’s versatility as a second rower and lock. To me that should ring alarm bells to a young kid and make a potential offer to play as a 5/8 next to Cleary a simple one.

I could also see the Roosters having a crack with the Manu money. The combo of Walker and Keary is not working.

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 18, 2024, 7:40 pm Don't think Galvin will be leaving Tigers. Latu Finau is another young gun who will likely depart. Could be to Penrith.

The fact is, Penrith will always be a factor as long as Nathan is the 7. He makes Scott Sorenson look like an elite player. Anyone who can do that is always going to be a threat.

All I can say is, I am glad we don't have these problems right now. Was excellent business to sign Strange and Chevy long term.
Were you referring to Latu Fainu? The Fainu's are both signed up until 2027.
Galvin is also signed up to end 2026.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Finchy wrote:
bonehead wrote: April 19, 2024, 8:56 am
Botman wrote:

I thought Fainu was $500k and Sullivan $450k
I'll take guess those are 2025 figures with standard increases

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Bluesbrother wrote:Sandon Smith from the chooks is a guy I'd be keen to pursue as a 9.
It’s spelled and pronounced “Brandon”.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Nickman wrote:
Bluesbrother wrote:Sandon Smith from the chooks is a guy I'd be keen to pursue as a 9.
It's kurns, stupid.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

-TW- wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
It's kurns, stupid.

I was saying koo-urns.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

reptar wrote:
-TW- wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
It's kurns, stupid.

I was saying koo-urns.
But I was calling him Brandall. Why didn’t somebody tell me, ohhh, I’ve been making an idiot out of myself!
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:
reptar wrote:
-TW- wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
It's kurns, stupid.

I was saying koo-urns.
But I was calling him Brandall. Why didn’t somebody tell me, ohhh, I’ve been making an idiot out of myself!
Would you have listened?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

zim wrote: April 19, 2024, 11:20 am
Bluesbrother wrote: April 18, 2024, 7:40 pm Don't think Galvin will be leaving Tigers. Latu Finau is another young gun who will likely depart. Could be to Penrith.

Yes, referring to Latu. 5 doesn't fit into 2. The Tigers are overstocked in the halves and I believe he will likely depart. Galvin and Luai will be the halves for a number of years ahead.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

The Nickman wrote: April 19, 2024, 12:51 pm
Different player mate.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Bluesbrother wrote:
Different player mate.
Pretty big dubby there mate.

We’ll allow it though, cos you’re new.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

The Nickman wrote: April 19, 2024, 6:03 pm
Bluesbrother wrote:
Different player mate.
Pretty big dubby there mate.

We’ll allow it though, cos you’re new.
OK. Hook, line and sinker.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Certainly going to be interesting to see how the tigers thing shakes out but one thing I’m pretty confident in - they’ll not be letting Galvin walk if he continues as his career has started
Much like strange with us, he’ll be extended and upgraded asap

How it all works with Fainu and Luai I’m not sure but they’ll figure it out.
I doubt the panthers use their cap money on a half, they’ll use it to keep the rest of their squad strong and trust Cleary to carry the burden with a younger cheaper player
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Galvin is the most impressive youngster I’ve seen in ages. I’d die a little inside if Penrith sniped him.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 19, 2024, 5:59 pm

Yes, referring to Latu. 5 doesn't fit into 2. The Tigers are overstocked in the halves and I believe he will likely depart. Galvin and Luai will be the halves for a number of years ahead.
Players in that 5 are capable of playing other positions. The tigers will let Sullivan and Sezer go before Fainu.
They signed the brothers as a "package" as they wanted to play together. If some club can accommodate all 3 then sure.
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

julian87 wrote: April 19, 2024, 7:22 pm Galvin is the most impressive youngster I’ve seen in ages. I’d die a little inside if Penrith sniped him.
Yep me too. If he can’t play for us then at least play for a side that hasn’t had much success.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

zim wrote: April 19, 2024, 7:34 pm

Players in that 5 are capable of playing other positions. The tigers will let Sullivan and Sezer go before Fainu.
They signed the brothers as a "package" as they wanted to play together. If some club can accommodate all 3 then sure.
Agreed Sezer will move on and I think Sullivan not good enough as a starting half
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Zim, Latu was the under 19s NSW 5/8 last year - ahead of Strange. He is highly rated. I don't think he will want to sit in reserve grade long. Sullivan and Sezer are reserve graders who won't get a run anywhere else. We will see how it plays out but I'd expect Latu to leave the Tigers for an opportunity.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

The package of the brothers could go something like this - Sam is a front rower, Penrith have just lost JFH. With Luai going Latu could slot in nicely in the 6.

Would be a good play from both parties tbh.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fainu looks to be a right half though
Which is where Cleary plays

On paper Fainu and Galvin would work in a similar way to how we see Strange - Sanders works but then Laui is sitting there as a LH too on huge money

If they all hit I wonder if they’ll at least try 6. Luai 7. Fainu 13. Galvin
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

As an NRL player you should be able to change sides.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Botman wrote: April 19, 2024, 8:27 pm Fainu looks to be a right half though
Which is where Cleary plays

On paper Fainu and Galvin would work in a similar way to how we see Strange - Sanders works but then Laui is sitting there as a LH too on huge money

If they all hit I wonder if they’ll at least try 6. Luai 7. Fainu 13. Galvin
Not a bad shout. Galvin would need to bulk up a bit before they would move him to lock.

Maybe Fainu might play as a utility until he moves to lock.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We’ve missed Galvin. No way he’s leaving the Tigers now. We had to recruit him a while back. When he left the Eels. He’s a great young player, but the Raiders have also recruited some great young players.