Canberra Raiders miss out on signing a second-row target Luciano Leilua

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Re: Canberra Raiders express interest in Cowboys forward Luciano Leilua

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

What I took from the trial is our forward depth is good. Some of the young guys are not far from making the step up.
LL is good and a current FGer but we should probably hold off and see where the young progress to.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I get that it's a red flag he's leaving the club early again..
But from his perspective a couple of clubs are deciding how close to $900k they can pay him for 4 years.
If he stays at the Cows, he's got Nanai on one edge and two very talented dudes trying to win the other one. If in 12mths time he's playing off the bench and looking for a new club, he's not getting that kind of money.
And TBH that's not even that unlikely even if Leilua is playing good footy.

Eyes up play by the Manager
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Would be nice if this saga got wrapped up soon, one way or the other
denissnowy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by denissnowy »

Agreed
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

I’d guess if he isnt named today its basically confirmed he is leaving the Cowboys.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

RedRaider wrote: February 19, 2024, 11:45 pm
Ruben Daley wrote: February 19, 2024, 1:49 pm
Andymachine wrote: February 19, 2024, 7:15 am Noah Martin's front on defence was a highlight but we didn't see much from him with the ball. It was 20 minutes of one trial game and he's only 18 so still a couple of years away. I think it's pretty early for anyone to be stating that we don't need another edge backrower because we have Noah Martin after seeing him for 20 mins. As for Sasagi, I didn't see anything there to be excited about. I don't think he'll see much, if any, first grade this year.

I still think we absolutely need another edge and I think the club is targeting the right type of player - Fifita, Koloamatangi, Leilua. These guys are exactly what we need. Only problem is that if LL wants $900k, that's too much for him IMO unless the Cows would be chipping in, which they should be. I also don't think his character should be judged too harshly by people who don't know him based on throwing a phone and being a bee's over the limit. We've had much worse indiscretions than that in the playing group over the years.
Totally agree. I loved that trial and was pleasantly surprised by nearly everyone but we saw nothing in that affects our 2024 and 2025 second-rower stocks.

I can't speak about Luciano's off-field stuff other than they seem relatively minor in NRL terms, as you've pointed out - though I never like hearing anything about DV.

But Payten made it clear last year that Luciano was one of, if not the only, player giving his all during the Cow's low periods. He singled him out more than once after a loss. This is far more indicative of his effect on the locker room than any of the perceived issues raised in this chat so far.

I'll take a guy who kept working while his team was phoning it in any day.

The real question is the contract. As has been said, $900K needs to be put into context of the current cap, the probability of the Cows paying some freight and the fact we have to use 95% of our cap regardless. Given that, I suspect the club is seeing this as not really stretching us too much (noting they also appear to be haggling).

Luciano would improve our team a lot more than Hosking and he would also make Hosking more valuable by pushing him down a position in the pecking order.
I agree with the highlight part, yet he is so loved by the Cowboys they are looking to off load him. There is possibly more too this as to why the Cowboys want to offload a highly paid player so soon into his contract. We have only one Top 30 place left. I would prefer to keep that spot for the Colonel should he be available after Round 6.
I don't think the Cows are trying to offload a problem. They just have four very good second-rowers, including a young Origin player on a massive contract, and can't keep them all. They also need to upgrade players like Dearden and Cotter. Releasing Luciano is the obvious solution because he frees up heaps of cap space in a position they are more than covered in. Nice option to have really.

Agree about prioritising Sanders but I doubt the club would do anything to impede his signing. Also, pretty sure CHN is still in the top 30, so there's another spot available in all likelihood.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It feels that his attitude stinks and he's butting heads with Todd Payten

So if we got him we'd have to be careful to structure the deal in a way that if he goes downhill that there isn't a large whack of cash tied to years that you'd want to move him on
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

-TW- wrote: February 20, 2024, 1:09 pm It feels that his attitude stinks and he's butting heads with Todd Payten

So if we got him we'd have to be careful to structure the deal in a way that if he goes downhill that there isn't a large whack of cash tied to years that you'd want to move him on
When do you think he started butting heads with Payten? Was it before or after he said Leilua was the only player to have a proper crack last year? Lmao
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

I have a strong feeling this one will get done.

2 factors: we love to overpay for non-premium positions, and, Rick will not be able to resist the opportunity for another one of his legendary redemption jobs (the Leilua surname alone will have him feeling it in his plums)
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Rickmando wrote:I have a strong feeling this one will get done.

2 factors: we love to overpay for non-premium positions, and, Rick will not be able to resist the opportunity for another one of his legendary redemption jobs (the Leilua surname alone will have him feeling it in his plums)
My goodness, are you going to persist with this again, all year?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Cmon Dubs. Even a strident cheerleader like yourself must admit it would be a very Raiders-like signing to pay 900K per year to a second rower that is barely a rep player and has potential off-field concerns.

(Btw Not sure if you’ve read anything else in the thread - I’ve not said I’m against bringing him in, he would make our side somewhat better).
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

He wasn't named for the Cowboys this week.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

If we do sign him, I'm backing him to hit career best form by the end of the season.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Luciano would really add to our attack and strength in depth if he joined us.

Whitehead cannot play 80 min each week. It's unfair to him, and also the team.

Let's get this done.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

In my opinion if CHN is cleared to return to the NRL this LL conversation stops. Given the way Rick has handled CHN over the past couple of years constantly dropping or giving him only limited minutes. Disregarding CHN’s current medical issue would he provide better value at his rumoured $650k pa or LL at say $800k?
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

kona_dream wrote: February 20, 2024, 9:50 pm In my opinion if CHN is cleared to return to the NRL this LL conversation stops. Given the way Rick has handled CHN over the past couple of years constantly dropping or giving him only limited minutes. Disregarding CHN’s current medical issue would he provide better value at his rumoured $650k pa or LL at say $800k?
No he wouldn't. CHN is an overpaid waste of a spot on our roster. CHN is way down the pecking order, even if he was fully fit. Luciano is an absolute wrecking ball. CHN is a very average NRL player and has been for several years now. At 650k he represents very poor value for money IMO.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Bluesbrother wrote:
kona_dream wrote: February 20, 2024, 9:50 pm In my opinion if CHN is cleared to return to the NRL this LL conversation stops. Given the way Rick has handled CHN over the past couple of years constantly dropping or giving him only limited minutes. Disregarding CHN’s current medical issue would he provide better value at his rumoured $650k pa or LL at say $800k?
No he wouldn't. CHN is an overpaid waste of a spot on our roster. CHN is way down the pecking order, even if he was fully fit. Luciano is an absolute wrecking ball. CHN is a very average NRL player and has been for several years now. At 650k he represents very poor value for money IMO.
And now we have the official coach’s line on CHN, which is something many of us having been saying for years now anyway.

Good to have confirmation though.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The Nickman wrote: February 21, 2024, 6:42 am
Bluesbrother wrote:
And now we have the official coach’s line on CHN, which is something many of us having been saying for years now anyway.

Good to have confirmation though.
Whatcha talkin’ bout Willis?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Bluesbrother. When you Luciano Leluia is an absolute wrecking ball.
I presume you are saying he plays like Miley Cyrus.

I’d put LL in the occasional Sledgehammer description, not an absolute wrecking ball.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by kona_dream »

If CHN is medically retired. Then in the space of less than a year we have been able to remove 3 Albatross contracts in less than a year. Croker, Wighton and CHN.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Rickmando wrote:Cmon Dubs. Even a strident cheerleader like yourself must admit it would be a very Raiders-like signing to pay 900K per year to a second rower that is barely a rep player and has potential off-field concerns.

(Btw Not sure if you’ve read anything else in the thread - I’ve not said I’m against bringing him in, he would make our side somewhat better).
Trying to remember the last time we signed such a player.....

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Shane Flanagan’s $2.7 million coup as Dragons land Luciano Leilua in late twist

The Dragons have finally landed one of the big-name recruits coach Shane Flanagan has been after with North Queensland Cowboys backrower Luciano Leilua set to link with the Red V effective immediately on a $2.7 million three-year deal.

While St George Illawarra initially baulked at Leilua’s asking price Flanagan has been busy behind-the-scenes and has convinced Dragons management to take on Leilua’s $900,000-a-season asking price.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 4d2c8e58e9

LL signs with dragons and I’m not upset
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Good outcome all round, I think. Best of luck to him at the Dragons but I think Ricky is on the right path here giving the young blokes a go.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

<forklifts the ramp back into the shed>

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

$900k.... good grief.... serious overpay there. Glad we balked at the price.
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

3 years with this year included would've been much better value and lower risk than the 4 they were talking about but it's not one to get upset over. Hopefully they can land a better player soon.
Last edited by NoMan on February 21, 2024, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Best result possible. Dragons overpay big time. The only downside is that it gives the Cowboys the space to retain their back rowers.
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

Safe to assume the ramp will get wheeled out again now.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Pleased we didn't pay that for Luciano. Good player, but not 900k when you have a look at junior's coming through. It might also mean there is some life in CHN yet?

It may also mean, as noted above, that our custom designed Fifita ramp will undoubtedly be dusted off and (Toyota) forklifted out of its temporary hiatus when the man-child displays his annual symptoms of indecisiveness.

Overs from Saints for LL imo.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

And that's the end of that episode.
Green Hornet
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine / Josh Papalli

Post by Green Hornet »

And thank God that is over.......

Also just realised its my GH birthday today....member on this day 18 years ago :D
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Another swing and miss. That's a shame on the player front but yeah for that kind of money you probably want someone in a tier higher than LL.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

That would make LL the 2nd highest paid edge forward in the game behind Fifita.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Botman wrote: February 16, 2024, 3:03 pm Going to be pretty funny if this 11th hour stuff is all just a ploy to get more out of the Dragons :lol:
Got em...
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

He could’ve been a good pick-up but not too disappointed to miss out. Not sure going to the Dragons Will help his career much. Though others would say the same about us.

It does mean we theoretically have somewhere near $900K free in the cap though…