Sharks 13+
19%

Total votes: 16

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2024 Round 4 v Sharks: Game Day

Post by Botman »

Chicka Chicka Chicka wrote: April 1, 2024, 12:20 pm For those playing at home, Ethan Sanders watch will commence in about 15 min on Kayo - Eels v Magpies
Sanders is overawed takes aging like month old milk :lol:
had a hand in both the eels first two tries with excellent long balls to open up space and just scored their 3rd taking on the line.

Matt Arthur and Ethan Sanders doing a number on the Maggies now.
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

The Colonel is a talent no doubt.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

gangrenous wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
-TW- wrote:
Riaan wrote:Savage will be lucky to keep his spot this week, errors are one thing but lack of urgency and complacency just doesn't cut it in the NRL. Very surprising the amount of people making excuses for him.
Schiller will take Savages spot unless Hopoate is no good

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Why on earth would that be the case? Schiller was terrible. He scored two tries any decent winger could finish and other than that had a completely lackluster game.

Savage created a try out of nothing, secured a couple of loose balls as good as you'll see and was powering through tackles. He clocked off once in defence and spilt the ball twice. That was bad, but every other game this season has been quality from him. No coach is dropping a great player after one indifferent game.
Schiller and Savage both did good and bad things.

Both should be there to fix them next week. They’ve shown they’re the goods if you address any issues as they pop up.
Yes, they both did some good and bad things.

The fundamental difference IMO is that Savage is an infinity better footballer than Schiller. He's faster, a significantly better defender, more physical, has better footwork and is much better under the high ball.

Schiller is quick and finishes tries any good winger should finish.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote:Pretty simple game Rugby League.

Ya gotta hold the ball.

We didn’t.
That's it in a nutshell.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Green Hornet wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: April 1, 2024, 5:36 am
-TW- wrote:
Riaan wrote:Savage will be lucky to keep his spot this week, errors are one thing but lack of urgency and complacency just doesn't cut it in the NRL. Very surprising the amount of people making excuses for him.

Why on earth would that be the case? Schiller was terrible. He scored two tries any decent winger could finish and other than that had a completely lackluster game.

Savage created a try out of nothing, secured a couple of loose balls as good as you'll see and was powering through tackles. He clocked off once in defence and spilt the ball twice. That was bad, but every other game this season has been quality from him. No coach is dropping a great player after one indifferent game.
I agree, but am nervous Stuart will drop Savage. He doesn't deserve to be dropped, but won't think it's our of the question.
We'll see what happens I guess.

I'd be gobsmacked if Savage is dropped after one sketchy game where a bunch of players sucked.

Personally, I reckon Hudson Young is the fortunate one, given our lack of second row depth. The coach needs to get into his head and help him to simplify his role.

He's trying to do too much with the ball and is trying to come up with too many big plays in defence. It's entirely unnecessary, unless you're chasing a 12+ point deficit.

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 1, 2024, 2:09 pm
The fundamental difference IMO is that Savage is an infinity better footballer than Schiller. He's faster, a significantly better defender, more physical, has better footwork and is much better under the high ball.

Savage spent most of that game zooming around picking up every loose ball, making breaks and tough carries and getting involved.

He clocked off badly in that chip kick play and then made a couple of drops. Worth noting the conditions seemed sweaty/soapy and that the Sharks back 5 also had 8 errors between them for the match. He never stopped seeking work though. I'd be happier as a coach trying to turn a 70 minute performance into 80 mins through continued improved application/concentration than trying to get Schiller to switch on out of the back 20m.

But I wouldn't write either off on that game.

I agree with you on Young. He seems to be set on "star" plays on both sides of the ball. Sometimes you just need to roll your sleeves up and stay disciplined in defence and run good lines for your half.
Robert the Bruce
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by Robert the Bruce »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 1, 2024, 2:10 pm
-PJ- wrote:Pretty simple game Rugby League.

Ya gotta hold the ball.

We didn’t.
That's it in a nutshell.

I had a few thoughts on the game and that was one of them. The other was how cool it would be to watch the game from the above apartments with radio commentary.
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

BadnMean wrote: April 1, 2024, 3:44 pm

Savage spent most of that game zooming around picking up every loose ball, making breaks and tough carries and getting involved.

He clocked off badly in that chip kick play and then made a couple of drops. Worth noting the conditions seemed sweaty/soapy and that the Sharks back 5 also had 8 errors between them for the match. He never stopped seeking work though. I'd be happier as a coach trying to turn a 70 minute performance into 80 mins through continued improved application/concentration than trying to get Schiller to switch on out of the back 20m.

I agree with you on Young. He seems to be set on "star" plays on both sides of the ball. Sometimes you just need to roll your sleeves up and stay disciplined in defence and run good lines for your half.
The problem with Young is that he is pretty light for a second rower and he doesn’t run good lines. Ideally in a good side, he would be playing lock but anyway we are a side stacked with middles and no second rowers
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Colk wrote:
BadnMean wrote: April 1, 2024, 3:44 pm

The problem with Young is that he is pretty light for a second rower and he doesn’t run good lines. Ideally in a good side, he would be playing lock but anyway we are a side stacked with middles and no second rowers
This is a line of thinking I don't really understand. Huddo can read what's in front of him well.

Last couple of seasons he suffered from playing outside a half that was allergic to playing competent football and this year he's outside a rookie.

I just think he's trying to hard to be the man. He needs to build trust with Strange and just focus on sticking his tackles.

Running certain lines is the least of his issues.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Seiffert82 wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
-TW- wrote:

Schiller and Savage both did good and bad things.

Both should be there to fix them next week. They’ve shown they’re the goods if you address any issues as they pop up.
Yes, they both did some good and bad things.

I think the finish on his first try was much better than he’s been given credit for.

Also noting Schiller isn’t up against Savage for mine. Savage is a lock and he’s up against Hoppa and Cotric.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

We were expecting a wild ride this year as we are rebuilding so this isn't totally unexpected for what most of us were thinking in the off season. The frustrating part is how we were unlucky to lose last week and then started quite well. It's crazy and disappointing to lose like that. I hope we don't see too many changes to team selection or playing style because of one terrible performance.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017