Why Corey Parker is off Ricky Stuart’s Christmas card list

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Raiders have hit back at Corey Parker with a cheeky social-media post, after Parker wrote a column explaining why he wouldn’t want to play for the Raiders, also adding Canberra, in his view, isn’t a great place to live. There are suggestions Raiders players will refuse interviews with Parker.

“I wrote an article saying the Raiders weren’t a club I would go to for various reasons, but it’s nothing personal against Ricky or the club.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 9b2acac430

NRL great added to Raiders coach Ricky Stuart’s black list

Corey Parker has found himself public enemy No. 1 in Canberra after some brutal comments about the nation’s capital.

“There’s no chance I’m going to the Raiders,” Parker wrote. “The reality with Canberra is that nothing excites me about their spine. There are some classy players here and there; chiefly Joe Tapine, a premier middle forward in our game, while Josh Papali’i is a great front-rower but getting towards the back-end of his career. Matt Timoko has got some upside and there’s some youth coming through, but losing a player of Jack Wighton’s class is a huge blow in a modestly-talented side.

“So, I’m not rushing to get to Canberra. And to be blunt, it’s a club that needs obvious upside with the playing situation to hold appeal as a signing destination. Whenever a player looks at joining a new team, they and their family obviously look at the place first; where would we like to live? Canberra? No, not real keen. Especially not if you’re not a chance of winning something, and the Raiders don’t look a genuine factor this season for mine.”

Read more: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-g ... 1278752606
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Re: Why Corey Parker is off Ricky Stuart’s Christmas card list

Post by Rickmando »

Oh boy.

Cue another round of “nobody rates us, everyone is out to get us…”

Zzzzz
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Parker lol.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I said in another post that he's one of my least favourite commentators. He loves putting the boot into us. The guy has been perennially criticising the club, particularly during a period of last year when he said we wouldn't make the 8 as we would lose all our final 5 games, including against Canterbury. Some of his criticisms relating to our football were valid, mind you. But we have improved on that front this year.

Players that have come here want to stay. Besides Jack and going back further to 2020 when Cotric signed with Canterbury, we haven't lost anyone recently that we really wanted to keep. Bateman and GWilliams were different.

Corey is talking nonsense. Canberra is a great place with things to do and great for family. I miss the place, even the cold weather ! When I was 18, I chose to go to university in Canberra (ANU) even though I got accepted into the best university for my discipline in Sydney. I loved the people too, a lot were from country areas.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Rickmando wrote: March 28, 2024, 6:27 pm Oh boy.

Cue another round of “nobody rates us, everyone is out to get us…”

Zzzzz
Chances Ricky paid him to write the article :roflmao
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Who’s Corey Parker ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I remember a game in the early 2000's, we were playing Brisbane. Alan Tongue took Parker's legs out and Parker literally flipped upside down in mid air and landed on his head. How he didn't break his neck I have no idea. I've never been able to find the footage. Hopefully some passionate Raiders fan out there has a copy of the game somewhere.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

At our home game against the Tigers the three Fox commentators including Parker interviewed Benji Marshall.

When Ricky came out Parker had been positioned at the far end of the field and Blocker and Lara did the interview. Looked odd at the time but maybe there was something to it.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote:Who’s Corey Parker ?
I think he was in The Lost Boys
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

-PJ- wrote: March 28, 2024, 6:53 pm Who’s Corey Parker ?
Yep that’s right! Corey Who?
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

-PJ- wrote: March 28, 2024, 6:53 pm Who’s Corey Parker ?
He's the 80 IQ dribbler that got a job with a News Corp owned media organisation after playing for a News Corp owned football team. What a coincidence, eh??!!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: March 28, 2024, 6:57 pm I remember a game in the early 2000's, we were playing Brisbane. Alan Tongue took Parker's legs out and Parker literally flipped upside down in mid air and landed on his head. How he didn't break his neck I have no idea. I've never been able to find the footage. Hopefully some passionate Raiders fan out there has a copy of the game somewhere.
What was he wearing in this dream?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Green Blogger wrote: March 28, 2024, 7:02 pm At our home game against the Tigers the three Fox commentators including Parker interviewed Benji Marshall.

When Ricky came out Parker had been positioned at the far end of the field and Blocker and Lara did the interview. Looked odd at the time but maybe there was something to it.
Guaranteed.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: March 28, 2024, 7:27 pm
Finchy wrote: March 28, 2024, 6:57 pm I remember a game in the early 2000's, we were playing Brisbane. Alan Tongue took Parker's legs out and Parker literally flipped upside down in mid air and landed on his head. How he didn't break his neck I have no idea. I've never been able to find the footage. Hopefully some passionate Raiders fan out there has a copy of the game somewhere.
As a Broncos fan I’m surprised you don’t remember it.

I’m sure it was this game actually in 2001: https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seas ... mmary.html

EDIT: Round 25 2002 https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seas ... mmary.html
Last edited by Finchy on March 28, 2024, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: March 28, 2024, 7:58 pm

I’m sure it was this game actually in 2001: https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seas ... mmary.html
Post a clip of the tackle
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: March 28, 2024, 8:39 pm

I would if someone had a copy of the game. But alas, I don’t, as I stated in my first post
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: March 28, 2024, 8:59 pm

I would if someone had a copy of the game. But alas, I don’t, as I stated in my first post
Oh ok - well I’m sure it real.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: March 28, 2024, 9:04 pm

I can assure you it is
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: March 28, 2024, 9:05 pm

I can assure you it is
Yeah I believe you - I’m sure that really happened in real life
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: March 28, 2024, 9:15 pm

I can assure you it is
Listen hear you little ****, go watch the game and get back to me.

EDIT: it was 2002 - Corey talks about it himself here:

"Broncos co-captain Corey Parker said McKinnon’s injury, which has reportedly rendered him a quadriplegic, did not mean more tackling safeguards were needed.

Parker was involved in one of the ugliest incidents on a football field when he was upended by Alan Tongue in 2002, his head thumping vertically into the ground.

The awkward tackle, which was not a spear as Parker had flipped over Tongue, jarred Parker’s neck and he said at the time “I just used one of my nine lives”.

Despite his personal experience of landing head first at speed, Parker said rugby league was already safe enough."

News_Image_File: Corey Parker lands on his head after colliding with Alan Tongue in 2002. Picture: Fox Sports

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 119786f6d7

and here:

"It has been almost 14 years, but even thinking about the incident still sends shivers down the spine of Broncos veteran Corey Parker. As he prepares to play his 300th NRL game on Thursday night, Parker shakes his head recalling the incident that came within millimetres of ending his career back in August 2002."

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/subscr ... our=append

Broncos fans discussing it on Broncos HQ here (you'd be familiar with that Billy):

"Crazy Sam said:
When he landed on his bald head against the Raiders in about 2002. Hard to believe he got up from that one.

I've asked several friends about that but no one's ever remembered it and thought my memory was screwed up..I recall him going in for a tackle and somehow getting flipped over the guy's back and landing square on the top of his head."

https://broncoshq.com/threads/what-is-y ... st-2656723

Pick another one out of your **** net Billy, I'm getting good at this.
Last edited by Finchy on March 28, 2024, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: March 28, 2024, 9:23 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 28, 2024, 9:15 pm

I can assure you it is
Listen hear you little ****, go watch the game and get back to me.

EDIT: it was 2002 - Corey talks about it himself here:

"Broncos co-captain Corey Parker said McKinnon’s injury, which has reportedly rendered him a quadriplegic, did not mean more tackling safeguards were needed.

Parker was involved in one of the ugliest incidents on a football field when he was upended by Alan Tongue in 2002, his head thumping vertically into the ground.

The awkward tackle, which was not a spear as Parker had flipped over Tongue, jarred Parker’s neck and he said at the time “I just used one of my nine lives”.

Despite his personal experience of landing head first at speed, Parker said rugby league was already safe enough."

News_Image_File: Corey Parker lands on his head after colliding with Alan Tongue in 2002. Picture: Fox Sports

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 119786f6d7

and here:

"It has been almost 14 years, but even thinking about the incident still sends shivers down the spine of Broncos veteran Corey Parker. As he prepares to play his 300th NRL game on Thursday night, Parker shakes his head recalling the incident that came within millimetres of ending his career back in August 2002."

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/subscr ... our=append

Pick another one out of your **** net Billy, I'm getting good at this.
I told you I believed you that it happened just like you said. In real life.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Well that’s everything wrapped up in a neat little package.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

reptar wrote: March 28, 2024, 10:15 pm Well that’s everything wrapped up in a neat little package.
:roflmao
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

This may be controversial and I’m not saying it as a reaction to the article or Parker’s commentary but I always thought he was overrated as a player.

I know, I know, he has an incredible record, 340+ games, heaps for QLD and Australia, several individual awards, I know.

He was definitely a good player.

But he also played in the most stacked teams at every level and did a role that I feel lots of guys could’ve done if given the opportunity.

Probably going to have to concede this one because his resume is amazing but, to me, he was a durable all-rounder who could kick goals and didn’t have an obvious weakness and got a Bradbury run for his whole career.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Haha, Corey Parker needs a cuddle.

Over my many years living in Canberra I've had a handful conversations with newcomers about how boring they found the city. Most people really like it, but some don't. That's perfectly normal. Guaranteed none of them appreciated the irony of the conversation. The few I remained in contact with stayed for years or are still here, for whatever that's worth. Maybe they took up mountain biking?

Anyway, I'm sure he feels better for sharing his opinion.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I remember that :lol:
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Does anyone know the reason's he said he wouldn't go to the Raiders?

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Ruben Daley wrote: March 29, 2024, 6:20 am This may be controversial and I’m not saying it as a reaction to the article or Parker’s commentary but I always thought he was overrated as a player.

I know, I know, he has an incredible record, 340+ games, heaps for QLD and Australia, several individual awards, I know.

He was definitely a good player.

But he also played in the most stacked teams at every level and did a role that I feel lots of guys could’ve done if given the opportunity.

Probably going to have to concede this one because his resume is amazing but, to me, he was a durable all-rounder who could kick goals and didn’t have an obvious weakness and got a Bradbury run for his whole career.
I’d say that is a fair assessment.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

I think it’s a bit inappropriate for Parker to me making those comments when he is a commentator on games. He’s paying out the area in which the players and their families live. Rightly so they might not want to do interviews with him in the future.

Smart career move, Cozza!!!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Corey Parker regularly fires off against an easy target, then after his had his stay he starts to counter with defensive claims that it’s nothing personal etc.

Yet another rugby league media personality who never provides any real insight into the sport and instead just parrots and expands on what someone else said earlier.
samvucago
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jon Hardy

Post by samvucago »

BJ wrote: March 29, 2024, 9:00 am Corey Parker regularly fires off against an easy target, then after his had his stay he starts to counter with defensive claims that it’s nothing personal etc.

Yet another rugby league media personality who never provides any real insight into the sport and instead just parrots and expands on what someone else said earlier.
You are being too kind here. Corey Parker has about as much personality as a broom handle and ole Mavis who calls the bingo at Vikings Erindale has more idea about RL than him.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

dubby wrote: March 29, 2024, 7:49 am Does anyone know the reason's he said he wouldn't go to the Raiders?
Up in the first post dubs. Doesn't rate the place or the team, no chance of winning anything.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Agree it’s a dumb article but is it a view that differs from what many have expressed on here when it comes to recruiting players? Also is it wrong that some people wouldn’t want to live in Canberra, others couldn’t cope with Nth Queensland, some hate Sydney and Melbourne might not be everyone’s cup of tea. If everyone wanted to live in Canberra it would become Western Sydney and im quite ok that it isn’t. In summary Corey Parker = dumb, his opinion on this = meh.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Billy Walker wrote: March 29, 2024, 9:59 am Agree it’s a dumb article but is it a view that differs from what many have expressed on here when it comes to recruiting players? Also is it wrong that some people wouldn’t want to live in Canberra, others couldn’t cope with Nth Queensland, some hate Sydney and Melbourne might not be everyone’s cup of tea. If everyone wanted to live in Canberra it would become Western Sydney and im quite ok that it isn’t. In summary Corey Parker = dumb, his opinion on this = meh.
People on here are paid by the games broadcaster to call games though. And if a view is expressed on here, we aren’t going to have players decline interviews.

His comments have the potential to have one clubs fans base not want to listen to the games he calls.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

President Clinton wrote: March 29, 2024, 10:22 am
Billy Walker wrote: March 29, 2024, 9:59 am Agree it’s a dumb article but is it a view that differs from what many have expressed on here when it comes to recruiting players? Also is it wrong that some people wouldn’t want to live in Canberra, others couldn’t cope with Nth Queensland, some hate Sydney and Melbourne might not be everyone’s cup of tea. If everyone wanted to live in Canberra it would become Western Sydney and im quite ok that it isn’t. In summary Corey Parker = dumb, his opinion on this = meh.
People on here are paid by the games broadcaster to call games though. And if a view is expressed on here, we aren’t going to have players decline interviews.

His comments have the potential to have one clubs fans base not want to listen to the games he calls.
Wait, you guys are getting paid?