7%
Titans 13+
14%

Total votes: 14

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: 2024 Round 6 v Titans: Game Day

Post by bonehead »

Rapana/ Chevy and Schiller rotating during the year has no reason not to work, at some point Strange will need a rest and if Chevy plays 12 games this year is probably a good workload on his young body.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Green Machine wrote: April 15, 2024, 10:00 am
The Nickman wrote: April 15, 2024, 7:33 am
Green Machine wrote:
kiwi raider wrote: April 14, 2024, 8:51 pm
The Nickman wrote: April 14, 2024, 8:32 pm
Except for, y’know, all the restarts and penalties she blew and the fact she got the majority of her calls spot on

You blokes, seriously
Yea she probably couldn't do much more , a couple of years back teams that gave multiple 6 agains ended up with someone in the bin but its not really ruled that way much these days, Titans probably deserved at least a warning that could happen tonight, they pushed the envelope big time
Twice she missed blatant calls (Chevy obstructed taking the bomb and Papalis obstruction) and was only saved thanks to the Titans scoring and the bunker saving them. If the Titans had been tackled they likely score very soon after. She’s hopeless.
Oh no, she made two mistakes and one of them was ruling a try which the bunker then came back and looked at, which is now the process the refs follow and happens every single game on numerous occasions?

Yeah you’re right, sack her!
I hope you didn’t complain about Ben Cummins in the GF.
I didn't, no.

And if you're comparing her game last night to Ben Cummins in the '19 grand final, then wow. Just wow.

Says a lot more about some of you blokes than actual facts ever will.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: April 15, 2024, 10:00 am
Billy Walker wrote: April 15, 2024, 6:56 am
Botman wrote: April 14, 2024, 10:44 pm
Billy Walker wrote: April 14, 2024, 10:42 pm
Botman wrote: April 14, 2024, 10:34 pm 59% possession, 87% completion rates
We outgained them by 500+ metres and they scored with 20 seconds left, kicked it from the sideline to force golden point, which we only won in the final 30 seconds of GP

Boy I’m glad to have missed that one! I’d have been apoplectic watching that
12/13! We keep rollin…

Sounds like Chevy had a very good debut!
Despite the story the stats tell it was a very professional controlled performance. Titans were good and played to a good plan that nearly came off. We needed to be patient and get a lot right to win that game. It’s worth a watch if you find a replay.
It’ll have to wait until I’m back
But it’ll be a priority when I do
Really want to watch Chevy’s debut
Be interested to hear what you thought of Fifita’s game. He’s coming back from injury, but he wasn’t overly dangerous. I agreed with you that your view that we should take him at all costs if the option is there, but I feel like I’m pausing for thought on that. I was just one game I guess.
Haven’t seen the game obviously but he has190 metres run, 80 post contact
And that’s without a line break and only one tackle break

If that’s what your edge back rower is giving you in a game he’s pretty quiet in it speaks to how good the bloke is
Wow - they are good numbers
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Finchy wrote: April 15, 2024, 9:57 am
The Nickman wrote: April 15, 2024, 7:47 am
Finchy wrote:
dubby wrote: April 14, 2024, 11:13 pm While not a pretty win , it showed us how to fight and scrap for a win.
We already knew how to do that, that was all of our wins last year. We need to move beyond that level of play against crap opposition.

Scrap for wins against the Storm or Broncos. We should be putting the likes of the Titans to the sword. Much like the Tigers games last year.
You mean like we did to the knights, tigers and eels this year?

Good teams don’t always blow the doors off bad teams, sometimes the bad teams show up and the good teams have to find a way to win still… as we did tonight

Yes.

When we're playing the team coming last, at home, with no wins, with the worst defence, having conceded 28+ points in 9 straight games, I expect a bit better than a 1 point lucky win in GP.
I think we all expected a bigger win. Though watching the game it's pretty obvious the Titans team that turned up is a far better side than how they've played the rest of the year.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Titans had a game plan against us and it nearly worked. They were up for this game.
We also had a game plan which was too conservative and handled by the Titans.
We take the 2 points and move on. We will need to be much better this week
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

NRL thinking of fining Sticky and Hasler.

Ricky Stuart and Des Hasler both facing fines as 'cheating' storm erupts after NRL thriller

Hasler joked during his press conference that he’d be fined $25,000 for his rant and is expected to be sanctioned for his remarks. While Stuart could also be slapped with a financial sanction for starting his press conference retort by saying "**** me". The Raiders coach was previously fined for swearing in a press conference.

Read more: https://au.sports.yahoo.com/ricky-stuar ... 55073.html
Vaccinated
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

The Titans definitely came with a goal of slowing us down in the ruck and they did an exceptional job if it and worked incredibly hard in defence all night. They definitely didn't play like a team that is coming dead last and has been flogged each week. Hasler complaining is clearly a tactic to take attention of the game plan he devised and make it about something else. There were constant hands on the ball while players were trying to play it, wrestling and slowing the game down. Full credit to them, it nearly worked but with that game plan you have to expect to cop the calls.

Ricky could have handled it better. If instead of calling them cheats he had said that they had a clear game plan of slowing the raiders down in the ruck by pushing the boundaries then most people would agree with him, That also wouldn't be Ricky though so there's that.

I went back and looked at the 2 contentious plays in golden point. The charge down and the Strange break. The charge down was close. Where I can freeze the video the ball is on the ground one second and you can't see Chevy's back foot and the next second the ball is obscured and he is moving. It may have technically been offside but it was very close and not egregious in any way.

The obstruction is just people not understanding the rules. The only player obstructing any Titans player was Savage and he passes Strange the ball so even if Strange cuts back infield it isn't an obstruction. A dummy runner in the same spot is 100% an obstruction but as Savage passed him the ball it's a completely different scenario.

Our attack was clunky, particularly when attacking in the red zone and that is something that we need to work on. Schiller needs to get his positioning sorted. Too many tries down that edge for the same reason that Schiller keeps coming in and leaving the space. Wouldn't be surprised to see Hoppa on that wing next week.

Ultimately it was a good game to win. The Titans were desperate and defended very well and we still managed to scrape a win.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

They are going to fine Ricky for saying the ref did a good job?

*edit* oh, it's for saying a naughty word.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I'm impressed with how Ricky handled the tactics against us last night. It was the right attitude - "we just have to overcome it, and focus on our processes" instead of complaining about the tactics. Good teams have to overcome any tactics thrown at them and still win. Des was always going to instruct the Titans to play like that. He's matured as a coach.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: April 15, 2024, 11:00 am
Wow - they are good numbers
Yeah and again just going off the stats but to hold him to only 1 tackle break and 3 offloads tells me we did about as good a job keeping him quiet as you can
But that the sort of player he is. A quiet game where he didn’t seem to impact the game was an edge (not a middle or outside back) carting it up for near 200 metres

put him behind a pack like ours and the strike we have outwide and he’d be a nightmare
Imagine Seb Kris, Savage and Strange… mix of powerful and elusive ball runners running off his 2nd phase game and into space vacated by defenders selling out to stop Fifita?
Last edited by Botman on April 15, 2024, 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: April 15, 2024, 1:05 pm I'm impressed with how Ricky handled the tactics against us last night. It was the right attitude - "we just have to overcome it, and focus on our processes" instead of complaining about the tactics. Good teams have to overcome any tactics thrown at them and still win. Des was always going to instruct the Titans to play like that. He's matured as a coach.
I thought he matured in 2019, then he went back to being petulant rocky again.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Azza wrote:
Hong Kong Raider wrote: April 15, 2024, 1:05 pm I'm impressed with how Ricky handled the tactics against us last night. It was the right attitude - "we just have to overcome it, and focus on our processes" instead of complaining about the tactics. Good teams have to overcome any tactics thrown at them and still win. Des was always going to instruct the Titans to play like that. He's matured as a coach.
I thought he matured in 2019, then he went back to being petulant rocky again.
He was the same in 2019. Ricky is just Ricky and he hasn’t changed personality in over thirty years. Maybe he’s slightly mellowed if anything.

His fire, passion and shoot from the lip approach is both his strength and his weakness.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I’m sure he himself was largely the same but his approach to public messaging was a complete departure from his norm in 2018- 19- 20.
And I don’t think it’s a coincidence that was our most successful period in his tenure

I honestly don’t think there is any reasonable disagreement to be had there.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Botman wrote: April 15, 2024, 1:26 pm I’m sure he himself was largely the same but his approach to public messaging was a complete departure from his norm in 2018- 19- 20.
And I don’t think it’s a coincidence that was our most successful period in his tenure

I honestly don’t think there is any reasonable disagreement to be had there.
Are you trying to say that it's easy to be a happy coach when your team is winning and doing well? It does seem logical.

I think there has been some changes in the way Ricky speaks to the media over time. There was a period where he talked about us not having the players to compete but this season, despite the youth that we have, there seems to be a high standard set and expected.

I think Ricky is a fan of the game and is hugely emotionally invested in the team. This definitely has plusses and minuses and generally speaking, press conferences is always going to be a minus. He does not have the emotional regulation to be circumspect or measure himself at all and has shown it time and time again.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Except that’s exactly what he was in that period I spoke about
He was extremely controlled and measured and was deliberate in his messaging re: officials and other things outside our control

And it wasn’t as a result of winning, it was evident he had made a conscious decision to change his approach in the lead up to the season

Now he seemingly couldnt maintain it, but it’s absolutely within him to do it. As he proved in that 2-3 year run.
And I also think he’s been better in that regard this year so far
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

He has definitely been better this year and almost got there yesterday until someone told him about Des complaining. The journos know him well enough to push his buttons and get the sound bites they need to get the clicks. Maybe someone needs to point out that he is basically a media EDIT to get him to change his tune.

He can manage it sometimes so its interesting that he has even given up completely trying to moderate himself. Hard to see how it helps the team.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He let it go through to the keeper so well and then they got him with the ol change up pitch at the end
Tapine was having a good time with it too :lol:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:Except that’s exactly what he was in that period I spoke about
He was extremely controlled and measured and was deliberate in his messaging re: officials and other things outside our control

And it wasn’t as a result of winning, it was evident he had made a conscious decision to change his approach in the lead up to the season

Now he seemingly couldnt maintain it, but it’s absolutely within him to do it. As he proved in that 2-3 year run.
Weren’t you complaining about Ricky’s messaging through that period. I don’t think he’s changed much over the last 5 years. He’s up and down like a yo yo.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Our game bound to feature today. Live now.

VIDEO: NRL head of football elite competitions Graham Annesley holds his Round 6 football briefing: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/04/15/gra ... d-06-2024/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BJ wrote: April 15, 2024, 2:30 pm
Botman wrote:Except that’s exactly what he was in that period I spoke about

Weren’t you complaining about Ricky’s messaging through that period. I don’t think he’s changed much over the last 5 years. He’s up and down like a yo yo.
Nah, in 2019 he came out and had an active focus on not blaming the refs and the NRL and just focussing on what they could control. And hey presto, we happened to make the grand final that year.

He regressed back to being a petulant child if not in 2020, then by 2021 for sure.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Nope, you’ve definitely got the wrong man on that one.

I was effusive in my praise of his growth in that period and have said many times since that I don’t think it’s a coincidence at all that we had our most success in the period in which the head coach was the most controlled and deliberate with his public messaging
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I suspect it was the influence of the leadership coach that the club had on board at the time. He's no longer around. You might remember last year Ricky stated that leadership can't be taught from books etc and that his decision on resting Jarrod Croker was real leadership.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: April 15, 2024, 2:38 pm I suspect it was the influence of the leadership coach that the club had on board at the time. He's no longer around. You might remember last year Ricky stated that leadership can't be taught from books etc and that his decision on resting Jarrod Croker was real leadership.
Are you talking about Kenny Rogers?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote: April 15, 2024, 2:40 pm
greeneyed wrote: April 15, 2024, 2:38 pm I suspect it was the influence of the leadership coach that the club had on board at the time. He's no longer around. You might remember last year Ricky stated that leadership can't be taught from books etc and that his decision on resting Jarrod Croker was real leadership.
Are you talking about Kenny Rogers?
No. He's the kicking coach among other things.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Wish he was the defensive coach. He could teach us when to hold them or when to rush out the line to fold them….

I’ll see myself out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

greeneyed wrote: April 15, 2024, 2:31 pm Our game bound to feature today. Live now.

VIDEO: NRL head of football elite competitions Graham Annesley holds his Round 6 football briefing: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/04/15/gra ... d-06-2024/
Really interesting stats he showed. Why they keep these more advanced stats hidden is a mystery. The 10m compliance in particular was an eye opener and makes a bit of a joke of the later comments on Chevy been offside.

I think they need to not just trust the stats though. PTB speed in particular is very misleading if you just compare two teams to each other and an average.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Raiders gunna get smashed by the refs moving forward, based on Annesley's presser. Ricky was right and the stats show it, but Annesley seems more focused on the assumption Canberra should have been pinged on a few occasions and were offside on the charge down, rather than the fact the Titans got away with heaps. There'll be a square up.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Lamenting Actions
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

Finchy wrote: April 15, 2024, 3:26 pmAnnesley seems more focused on the assumption Canberra should have been pinged on a few occasions and were offside on the charge down, rather than the fact the Titans got away with heaps.
Legitimate dementia.
-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

I don't even agree with Annesley that Stewart was offside. He was in front of the goal line, but the Titans player was behind the 10m line. The ref made the 10m too big. He was 10m back from the play the ball.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Finchy wrote:Raiders gunna get smashed by the refs moving forward, based on Annesley's presser. Ricky was right and the stats show it, but Annesley seems more focused on the assumption Canberra should have been pinged on a few occasions and were offside on the charge down, rather than the fact the Titans got away with heaps. There'll be a square up.
Well we're playing #penaltybroncos so there's that. Probably one of the Sutton boys riding them home too.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

2024 Round 6 v Titans: Game Day

Post by BJ »

Annesley highlighting as good news that ‘close results in games’ are a positive, always concerns me. It’s also been referred to by referee officials previously as a benchmark of referee success.

This is what leads to a change in the way referees make calls when one team is down by ten points or more. Too many games (and not just Raiders) see the refs intervene in a way that often helps a team come from behind.
Last edited by BJ on April 15, 2024, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

BJ wrote: April 15, 2024, 4:01 pm Annesley highlighting as good news that close games are a positive always concerns me. It’s also been referred to by referee officials previously as a benchmark of referee success.

This is what leads to a change in the way referees make calls when one team is down by ten points or more. Too many games (and not just Raiders) see the refs intervene in a way that often helps a team come from behind.
Manufacturing closer contests.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Watching the review. I’m surprised Annesley said Badger set the 10m line on the goal line. She was standing slightly in front of the line and the play the ball was almost a metre from the ten metre line. If the tryline is the defensive line, then the referee has to stand on the tryline.

This is where he ties himself and his referees in knots, by going into tiny details on offsides of just one step or one metre when players are regularly a step or more offside in defence.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Another point in Annesley’s own data that you would think he would have raised about last nights game (and something that I think most of us watching the game thought live).

The Raiders v Titans game had:
. The slowest average play the ball speed of all 8 games over the round.
. The slowest ruck to tackle timing of all games.
. The slowest tackle timing of all games.
. The slowest play the ball speed inside the 40 and
. The slowest PTB speed outside the 40 of all games in the round.
. Over 27% of all rucks in the game took over 4 seconds.

Add to that long list of outliers, the referees could have pinged the Titans for a further 28 offsides which was almost triple the Raiders amount of missed offsides. Based on all that, then any reasonable judge would think Ricky had a reasonable point about the Titans game plan.

Surely all that combined data across the entire game was a bigger story than a slight offside that was far from a clear live call. I’ve seen players 3 or 4 metres offside in golden point get completely ignored by the referee.

Annesley focused on the wrong issue in last night’s game.