Mal Meninga in line for bombshell South Sydney coaching appointment

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This small detail on rugby league's greatest jersey is making fans go wild

It's been 30 years since the Canberra Raiders won the 1994 NSWRL grand final in what might just be the greatest rugby league jersey of all time - and now they're releasing a new line of retro jumpers with a grand final patch. The club will wear the jersey at Magic Round in Brisbane on May 17, with most of the 1994 team to gather at the stadium to watch the clash against the Bulldogs.

"People would say 'what are you going to Canberra for?' People underestimate how good this town is, how good the club is, how they look after each other. I'm glad I made that decision back in '85 to come to Canberra, because it's probably the best decision footy-wise I could have made," Mal Meninga said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Mal Meninga in line for bombshell South Sydney coaching appointment

Post by greeneyed »

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have identified Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga as the top priority candidate to be parachuted into Heffron Park once the club parts ways with current coach Jason Demetriou.

In a left-field bombshell development, the Rabbitohs board has been presented with a shortlist of six possible candidates including Meninga, Michael Maguire and Ben Hornby with the vote for the current Kangaroos coach being unanimous. Meninga, an Immortal and one of the most respected figures in rugby league, will be approached about coming in as a caretaker coach for the remainder of this year only.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ent=static
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mal would crazy to walk into that mess, as a fill in for this year only.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

greeneyed wrote: April 10, 2024, 5:12 pm Mal would crazy to walk into that mess, as a fill in for this year only.
Kind of makes sense given his relationship with a lot of those players from the Ozzie team. I think it would suit Mal. I don't think he harbours any NRL fulltime coaching gig so really he is minding the furniture, keeping them in line with little pressure to perform any miracles.

Not saying i love it but i can objectively see it as a decent option for souffs
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

They need a hard ******* like Maguire.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: April 10, 2024, 5:12 pm Mal would crazy to walk into that mess, as a fill in for this year only.
They might want Mal to sort out Latrell and Jack and their halfback and hooker issues and ….
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I vote Madge based on the rumours about him and Wighton despising each other lol.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

No interim coach is going to do much. Mal would probably just be collecting a cheque.

Whoever it is they should just rent Ricky’s overhead projector and get it over with.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I thought this was crazy.

But thinking about it. He’d purely be the manager (like he was for Qld). Hornby would coach rugby league and Meninga would sort the players out man to man.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

500 - 700k for a 6 month baby sitting job isn't bad money. Hand the keys to Wayne in 6 months. You can see why he's interested.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

NoMan wrote: April 10, 2024, 6:43 pm No interim coach is going to do much. Mal would probably just be collecting a cheque.

Whoever it is they should just rent Ricky’s overhead projector and get it over with.
Lol. Laughed at this one. The overhead projector is the first investment I'd make.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

This sounds like a fox sports thought bubble. Remember when they basically bullied the tigers to sign Tim Sheens- who was then found to be way out of his depth :roflmao
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Wow, JD has the "full support of the board" but we're just making a short-list of his replacement.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Geez, I love Mal but for the life of me I don't understand what Souths are doing here.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 11, 2024, 1:31 am Geez, I love Mal but for the life of me I don't understand what Souths are doing here.

Think Latrell.
Think, terrible attitude.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'I love the idea': Kangaroos mentor Mal Meninga would consider replacing Souths coach Jason Demetriou

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga has confirmed he has received inquiries about replacing the under-siege Jason Demetriou at South Sydney.

"I love the idea of being an interim coach," he said. "However, I've got some big commitments in my life. I obviously do a lot of video with Fox, I've got this [radio], the Australian gig and I've got my own business. I'm very happy in life living down here in Canberra. It is something that certainly interests me and I am flattered that my name is being mentioned at all. But again, there's no real foundation to it just yet."

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2024- ... 7a470e06c7
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

All that equals - I’m keen, but sharpen your pencil before you make me an offer.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

dubby wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: April 11, 2024, 1:31 am Geez, I love Mal but for the life of me I don't understand what Souths are doing here.

Think Latrell.
Think, terrible attitude.
Yep, that's a fair point, but it again puts the needs of one or two players over the welfare of the entire squad.

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Demonstrating why Mal was kept in the dark about the Titans negotiating with Des.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.