39%

Total votes: 18

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: 2024 Round 8 v Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by zim »

Finchy wrote: April 23, 2024, 7:20 pm Is anyone else surprised that a favourite of Ricky's (and Billy's) in Hoppa is stuck in reserves, when someone who played plenty of reserves last year and started there this year (Schiller) is still in firsts even though he's just signed elsewhere for next year? Credit to Ricky for not being petty, and sticking with a faster team.
I mentioned the hoppa selection earlier too. The storm clouds that always bang on about it have instead decided to focus on other things they don't like. Rinse, repeat.

Trindall is a big out for the sharks. Not as big an out as Fogarty is for us so we'll be facing an uphill battle.
What a win it will be if we can pull it off.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Woolford hasn’t shown any more in previous seasons than Levi has this season. Much of a muchness between the two.

But Woolf has certainly shown more than Starling has this season.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BJ wrote: April 24, 2024, 1:34 pm Woolford hasn’t shown any more in previous seasons than Levi has this season. Much of a muchness between the two.

Exactly my point. The argument isn't Levi vs Woolford, it's Woolford vs Starling.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote: April 24, 2024, 1:22 pm
dubby wrote: April 24, 2024, 1:10 pm
The Nickman wrote: April 24, 2024, 12:57 pm
Finchy wrote: April 24, 2024, 12:40 pm
dubby wrote: April 24, 2024, 12:36 pm

I don't think it's personal.

FWIW I'd be playing Woolford over Levi.
I really think it is personal. Woolford as shown in the last 2 years he offers more offensively and defensively than Levi does, yet Ricky picks Levi over him regardless. I think it's entirely personal.
And as I've said previously, anyone who's not a blatant troll or firmly in the back pocket of the coach can see this too, and recognises it as our greatest current squad weakness.
Again, you make ad hominem comments. We all have different opinions and that does not justify attacking someone.

We have no idea why Levi is ahead of Woolford. This is pure speculation.
No, I speak pure fact based on observation. You find me one single person on this forum who doesn't think Woolford belongs in the NRL team hooker rotation who isn't a) firmly in the coach's back pocket or 2) a blatant troll and I'll retract the comment.

In the meantime, I'll wait patiently over here by the bar while you look.
I've no idea what you mean by "in the coaches back pocket ".

Is someone here a wallet?

Troll, I know you're referring to old mate.

And I've already stated that I think Woolford should be our 9.

But here's a question for you.

You don't like Levi or Starling. You want Woolford as 9. Who plays 14?
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I never said Woolford should be 9. Just go back and read my last few posts on the topic and stop frothing at the mouth for 10 seconds ****.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Rickmando wrote: April 24, 2024, 1:10 pm
Finchy wrote: April 24, 2024, 10:11 am
dubby wrote: April 24, 2024, 9:57 am The only reason I can think of to justify Starling's selection is experience. Aside from Levi he has more experience than Woolford and Puru.

With such an inexperienced backline, he's probably looking for more experience on the field.
Isn’t he room mates with Huddo and they’re besties? Maybe Ricky doesn’t want to burn both players by dropping one.
Simple then, drop them both!

I can’t help but feel Huddo might do well with a 1-week reserve grade sharpen-up (message) like the one Papalii got a few years back….
Ironically I think Huddo's best year for us (2022?) he did get a 1 week drop to ressies. Sharpened him right up.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

BJ wrote: April 24, 2024, 1:34 pm Woolford hasn’t shown any more in previous seasons than Levi has this season. Much of a muchness between the two.

I can't agree BJ. DL was missing just over 3 tackles per match in his 60 minutes game time this season up to last week. He was given extra time on the park last week and missed 5 tackles. We will be without the Fog kicking game for three months so we must be better at defence or lose the field position battle. In Zac Woolfords 38 games for the Raiders he has missed a total of 38 tackles (see link below). Woolf has been our 9 for much of the last 2 years where the Raiders made the finals. Imo he should be the starting 9 when the opposition has the most energy because he plugs up the middle of the park. His passing game gets the Raiders moving forward down the middle when the opposition is at its freshest.

I reckon we will see two things from the Sharks this weekend. The Shark forwards will target DL in defence and Chevy will again be subject to multiple bombs. Of the two, I have confidence the heart shown by Chevy will again be on display.

https://www.raiders.com.au/teams/nrl-pr ... -woolford/
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

RedRaider wrote: April 24, 2024, 3:12 pm

I can't agree BJ. DL was missing just over 3 tackles per match in his 60 minutes game time this season up to last week. He was given extra time on the park last week and missed 5 tackles. We will be without the Fog kicking game for three months so we must be better at defence or lose the field position battle. In Zac Woolfords 38 games for the Raiders he has missed a total of 38 tackles (see link below). Woolf has been our 9 for much of the last 2 years where the Raiders made the finals. Imo he should be the starting 9 when the opposition has the most energy because he plugs up the middle of the park. His passing game gets the Raiders moving forward down the middle when the opposition is at its freshest.

I reckon we will see two things from the Sharks this weekend. The Shark forwards will target DL in defence and Chevy will again be subject to multiple bombs. Of the two, I have confidence the heart shown by Chevy will again be on display.

Great post
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

I hope we change our game plan. We cant rely on the kick and then pin them down in their 20. We need to use the running attack of our 2 5/8s
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Raiders_Pat wrote: April 24, 2024, 3:21 pm
RedRaider wrote: April 24, 2024, 3:12 pm

Great post
Fairly kind of RR not to also point out that in 40 odd NRL games this decade Levi yet to kick for a single drop out and produces try assists at <0.5 the rate Woolford does, from a similar sample size of games this decade.

The upside must be very, very intangible. It's certainly not the win %.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Someone do a complete statistical breakdown of Levi vs Woolford. Everything. Runs/tackles/missed tackles/errors/try causes/try assists/etc. Surely Woolf will come out on top in nearly every category.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Finchy wrote: April 24, 2024, 4:40 pm Someone do a complete statistical breakdown of Levi vs Woolford. Everything. Runs/tackles/missed tackles/errors/try causes/try assists/etc. Surely Woolf will come out on top in nearly every category.
Lacks context.

Ps I vote for Woolford. Levi is....... not the answer
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

What Levi has demonstrated this season is below average qualities across the board for a starting NRL hooker.

Which is admittedly an improvement on previous seasons, where he was barely playing at NRL standard.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Finchy wrote: April 24, 2024, 4:40 pm Someone do a complete statistical breakdown of Levi vs Woolford. Everything. Runs/tackles/missed tackles/errors/try causes/try assists/etc. Surely Woolf will come out on top in nearly every category.
Right on it sir..... or here's a wild idea. How about do it yourself
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Raider Azz wrote: April 24, 2024, 5:07 pm
Right on it sir..... or here's a wild idea. How about do it yourself
Nah - I have no idea where or how I'd find that. Many on here regularly post such stats. Hence the call out. If no-one could be bothered (much like myself), so be it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'Little sparks': The most inexperienced duo in NRL given keys to the Raiders

The most inexperienced halves pairing in the NRL has been given a licence to boss around two Canberra Raiders veterans, Joe Tapine and Josh Papalii, to ensure they have the time and space to get revenge against the Sharks.

"Kaeo has been really good at training and showing all his skills, his little sparks," front-rower Pasami Saulo said.
"We might have two young halves, but they're really good players. It's an important role and they've been handling it really well - as they do every week at training and in games. I know they're good. We always listen, too."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders v Sharks: viewtopic.php?t=36082

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2024/04 ... -v-sharks/

ANZAC Round player cut jersey auction: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2024/04 ... y-auction/
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

For goal kicking the other options is Weekes, he has kicked two goals in the NSW cup this year, but it also lists his percentage as 40% so I guess that means he missed 3 others?

I guess it's between him and Stewart until Rapana gets back.
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

This is going to be a **** week and perhaps year. **** Roosters are going well now. The only thing worse than the Raiders suffering is that parasite going well
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

That’s the spirit
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

Hopefully K weekes can match Sam walker performance in the 7 a master class try assists I have faith in the boy, C Stewart goal kicking practice would have been top of the agenda.
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

Who doesn’t hate the Roosters? If we have to suffer rebuilding then I want to be at least be comforted by them being crap
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Colk wrote: April 25, 2024, 6:50 pm
Who doesn’t hate the Roosters? If we have to suffer rebuilding then I want to be at least be comforted by them being crap
Agreed.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Depends who has been kicking at training, my guess it would be Chevy kicking goals.
This is the 1 game I would bring Woolford back in to start, try and get 50 minutes out of him, my point being he will get our forwards rolling and he will give the young spine time and some space for our faster backs
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Colk wrote: April 25, 2024, 6:50 pm Who doesn’t hate the Roosters? If we have to suffer rebuilding then I want to be at least be comforted by them being crap
Hate the Sydney team, half the people I know go for them.. and they all call me 6 again still !!! 🤣
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Neeeegz wrote: April 25, 2024, 8:12 pm Depends who has been kicking at training, my guess it would be Chevy kicking goals.
This is the 1 game I would bring Woolford back in to start, try and get 50 minutes out of him, my point being he will get our forwards rolling and he will give the young spine time and some space for our faster backs
We have a spine with less than 150 games combined experience between them and you want to swap out the guy who brings over 100 games experience to that green spine.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Quality over quantity. 100 games of crap is still crap
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: April 26, 2024, 12:41 am Quality over quantity. 100 games of crap is still crap
Well while you mount your case and create your chamber of echos I’m going to enjoy watching Danny Levi play this weekend. Maybe if you throw your toys further out of the cot Ricky might listen to you :roflmao

Narrator- Ricky never listened to Finchy :roflmao
HoraceBigCigar
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Jason Croker

Post by HoraceBigCigar »

Ruben Daley wrote: April 23, 2024, 7:22 pm
The Nickman wrote: April 23, 2024, 7:10 pm
Ruben Daley wrote:
The Nickman wrote: April 23, 2024, 6:20 pm WHY THE **** IS STARLING STILL THERE?

How many minutes did he play against the broncos in a game where Fog was injured for half of it? Seriously, even the coach is admitting by his actions he’s no good, but he’s too **** stubborn to pull the trigger and make the most meaningful change he can with his squad.

It’s so frustrating and such a big reason he’ll never be an elite coach. Just can’t put good decision making ahead of pride, never has been able to.
I wonder if it is pride. Ricky definitely has that in spades but who’s he too proud to admit a mistake to? Us? I doubt it. The media? They’re not pointing out issues with selections. They never do.

Lots of people claimed Ricky was too proud to admit he should’ve played Savage but he overcame it by saying earlier this season that he knew Savage would be an excellent footballer three years ago and has been proven correct.

Too proud to move Kris? Not really. He just said Kris’ best spot is centre and didn’t reflect on that also being true for the whole time Kris played fullback last year.

Jack not working at five-eighth? Jack not being worth a million bucks? Jack not being the best player in our team? Nope. Ricky just focuses on Strange and the youth.

I think we conjure conversations where Ricky argues for his guys against all evidence because he’s stubborn and proud. But I wonder if those conversations happen. I think it’s just as likely the only discussion this week was who would replace Jamal and it lasted two minutes because they’d decided Kaeo would be next man in back in January.
Hahaha every single one of those examples you’ve cited proves that pride and stubbornness is his number one problem, they’re not making the case you think they are!
Only if you believe he stuck to his guns in the face of clear evidence that his plan wasn’t working - which is definitely how it looks. I just don’t know if I believe he thinks like that.

I reckon he may well be not assessing other options like bringing in Woolford/Trevilyan/Puru at all.

In other words, I doubt whether seeing how much better the team is playing now has made him reconsider his decision to offer Jack a million bucks a year for four years. I doubt he thinks Kris didn’t work/spent too long at fullback.
The Starling thing is weird. Other “hard” decisions have been made this year (Guler, Cotric, Hoppa still in cup) but this one sticks and it costs us. We’re not good enough to have the luxury of plying a 16+1 game.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

HoraceBigCigar wrote:
Ruben Daley wrote:
The Nickman wrote: April 23, 2024, 6:20 pm WHY THE **** IS STARLING STILL THERE?

How many minutes did he play against the broncos in a game where Fog was injured for half of it? Seriously, even the coach is admitting by his actions he’s no good, but he’s too **** stubborn to pull the trigger and make the most meaningful change he can with his squad.

It’s so frustrating and such a big reason he’ll never be an elite coach. Just can’t put good decision making ahead of pride, never has been able to.
I wonder if it is pride. Ricky definitely has that in spades but who’s he too proud to admit a mistake to? Us? I doubt it. The media? They’re not pointing out issues with selections. They never do.

Lots of people claimed Ricky was too proud to admit he should’ve played Savage but he overcame it by saying earlier this season that he knew Savage would be an excellent footballer three years ago and has been proven correct.

Too proud to move Kris? Not really. He just said Kris’ best spot is centre and didn’t reflect on that also being true for the whole time Kris played fullback last year.

Jack not working at five-eighth? Jack not being worth a million bucks? Jack not being the best player in our team? Nope. Ricky just focuses on Strange and the youth.

I think we conjure conversations where Ricky argues for his guys against all evidence because he’s stubborn and proud. But I wonder if those conversations happen. I think it’s just as likely the only discussion this week was who would replace Jamal and it lasted two minutes because they’d decided Kaeo would be next man in back in January.
Hahaha every single one of those examples you’ve cited proves that pride and stubbornness is his number one problem, they’re not making the case you think they are!
Only if you believe he stuck to his guns in the face of clear evidence that his plan wasn’t working - which is definitely how it looks. I just don’t know if I believe he thinks like that.

I reckon he may well be not assessing other options like bringing in Woolford/Trevilyan/Puru at all.

In other words, I doubt whether seeing how much better the team is playing now has made him reconsider his decision to offer Jack a million bucks a year for four years. I doubt he thinks Kris didn’t work/spent too long at fullback.
The Starling thing is weird. Other “hard” decisions have been made this year (Guler, Cotric, Hoppa still in cup) but this one sticks and it costs us. We’re not good enough to have the luxury of plying a 16+1 game.
We also don’t generally have the luxury of 20min of “Starlingball” at a critical moment in close games either, a period where the forwards get poor service and the whole team generally runs around like headless chooks, as directed from dummy half.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote:
HoraceBigCigar wrote:
Ruben Daley wrote: I wonder if it is pride. Ricky definitely has that in spades but who’s he too proud to admit a mistake to? Us? I doubt it. The media? They’re not pointing out issues with selections. They never do.

We also don’t generally have the luxury of 20min of “Starlingball” at a critical moment in close games either, a period where the forwards get poor service and the whole team generally runs around like headless chooks, as directed from dummy half.
Yep, that's a killer. Stuart needs to sort that rubbish out ASAP.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

The way this weekend's games have gone so far, how depleted we are, I'm fearing a 40-10 loss on Sunday...
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Raider47 wrote: April 26, 2024, 10:39 am The way this weekend's games have gone so far, how depleted we are, I'm fearing a 40-10 loss on Sunday...
And we're wearing a different strip. That's always a queue we're in for a hiding :doubt:

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

HoraceBigCigar wrote: April 26, 2024, 5:58 am
Ruben Daley wrote:

Do you think it could be because…. And stay with me here….. ummm ….. despite the echoes of a forum, Woolford isn’t actually very good.

Levi is our starting 9 doing a great job, and Starling disappointingly is 14 because there is nobody better.

Crazy theory I know! But is my theory that a coach might pick his best players each week any wilder than the conspiracy theories on here about grudges and pettiness and pride. Talk about tin foil hats out in force :roflmao
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: April 26, 2024, 3:38 pm
Ruben Daley wrote:

Do you think it could be because…. And stay with me here….. ummm ….. despite the echoes of a forum, Woolford isn’t actually very good.

Levi is our starting 9 doing a great job, and Starling disappointingly is 14 because there is nobody better.

Crazy theory I know! But is my theory that a coach might pick his best players each week any wilder than the conspiracy theories on here about grudges and pettiness and pride. Talk about tin foil hats out in force :roflmao
So the coach picks the best players each week hey Billy? How do explain the continued selection of your whipping boys Croker and Cotric last year? Or the fact he picked Woolford over Levi for nearly all of last year even after his jaw healed? Or the fact Semi and now Hoppa were dropped to reserves despite being so “fantastic”?

Grudges pettiness and pride are 3 very accurate descriptors of Ricky, and his selections or non selections over the years have proven that.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: April 26, 2024, 3:55 pm
Billy Walker wrote: April 26, 2024, 3:38 pm

So the coach picks the best players each week hey Billy? How do explain the continued selection of your whipping boys Croker and Cotric last year? Or the fact he picked Woolford over Levi for nearly all of last year even after his jaw healed? Or the fact Semi and now Hoppa were dropped to reserves despite being so “fantastic”?

Grudges pettiness and pride are 3 very accurate descriptors of Ricky, and his selections or non selections over the years have proven that.
The problem with your theory is that it is based on an extraordinary level of arrogance that you have a more enlightened judgment on what the correct selections are, than an NRL coach who’s job it is to train and analyse these players. Call me crazy, but I feel Ricky might have a bit more skin in the game than you and the other members of the peanut gallery. I’m going to go out on a real limb here and suggest he might even be a better judge on these things than the GH echoes. :roflmao But I encourage you to maintain the rage and delusion Finchy - you wear it well :roflmao