Post by bonehead »

manly this week then a bye? reset and go again

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews

Post by gerg »

Bring Woolford in and our pack can start dominating again which will immensely help the young guys.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Botman wrote: April 28, 2024, 8:01 pm The situation with chev isnt great but i dont think he's doing a lot wrong, granted he apparently had a shocker last week against the Broncos but im watching his debut now and it's in line with what i saw tonight... he's generally in the right spot and making the right play

He's not impacting the attacking structure right now because we really dont play in a way that plays into that. We play short and to our edges and centres WAAAAAAY more than most teams who play through their fullback as the sweep player. And when it does go to the fullback, it's a run first approach.

That structure and how we go about has to change to allow Chevy to get more involved. But Weekes and Strange are not great ball players at this stage of their careers, and Strange is not playing his natural side. So it's hard for him to come in and shine. I wouldnt drop him, id stick with him, he's doing well enough that the experience is of great benefit and he's not struggling to an extent that his long term development and confidence is being compromised.
I'm happy enough for him to play until Rapana's back. But then I never would have had Rapana over Savage, even though I'm relatively ok with it, I wouldn't have gone that way myself
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah i think when Rapa is back, Chevy can drop back to cup and keep working on his game having had a good taste of FG
A good discussion could be had at that point whether we're best of bringing rapa back on the wing or fullback... but i think thats a fan discussion, i dont think Savage is in consideration for the fullback position. I think the coach would pick Raps, Chevy, Hoppa and Kris before he'd go back to Savage.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Eagles by 103.
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

Azza wrote: April 28, 2024, 9:10 pmEagles by 103.
Is that an option on Sportsbet?
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

1. Savage
2. Schiller
3. Timoko
4. Kris
5. Cotric
6. Whitehead
7. Strange
8. Papalii
9. Woolford
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. Ata
13. Smithies

14. Weekes
15. Soulo
16. Mooney
17. Puru
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The echos for Puru to be selected as a back up 9, when he hasn’t actually trialed, played or trained in the position is peak GH and is as likely to happen as Cotric in the backrow.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Billy Walker wrote:The echos for Puru to be selected as a back up 9, when he hasn’t actually trialed, played or trained in the position is peak GH and is as likely to happen as Cotric in the backrow.
Just goes to show how terrible Levi is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Billy Walker wrote: April 29, 2024, 7:13 am The echos for Puru to be selected as a back up 9, when he hasn’t actually trialed, played or trained in the position is peak GH and is as likely to happen as Cotric in the backrow.
He has played in that position. Started actually in a number of games last year and then moved there in other games when he wasn’t named. Unfortunately, Levi should not be there.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

1. Savage
2. Asomua
3. Timoko
4. Kris
5. Hoppa
6. Strange
7. Cook
8. Saulo
9. Woolford
10. Tapine
11. Mariota
12. Whitehead
13. Puru

14. Weekes
15. Hola
16. Papali’i
17. Sasagi

It could be a train wreck, but **** it.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Regs Revolution wrote: April 29, 2024, 8:14 am
Billy Walker wrote: April 29, 2024, 7:13 am The echos for Puru to be selected as a back up 9, when he hasn’t actually trialed, played or trained in the position is peak GH and is as likely to happen as Cotric in the backrow.
He has played in that position. Started actually in a number of games last year and then moved there in other games when he wasn’t named. Unfortunately, Levi should not be there.
I won’t hold my breath on Puru to 9.
President Clinton
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Billy Walker wrote: April 29, 2024, 8:56 am
Yeah, because the risk of dropping Danny Levi is just too great.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

1. Stewart- sounds weird in such a loss but he defended well. I'm still waiting for the slick passing he's shown in reggies to come out. Might take him a while to catch up with that side of FG. He popped up to receive one or two offloads which is good. We could lean in on offloads more since our attack is struggling otherwise.

2. Savage- played ok I thought. Maybe a bit lazy on one 40-20 but I haven't seen a replay if he actually had a shot at it or if he just suffers from Mark Waugh syndrome and looks casual. He's fixed up most other areas of his game and is genuinely leading at times so I'd back him to sort that out too.

3. Timoko- huge game. Part of an entire edge that got terrorised in defence though.

4. Kris- he's had better games.

5. Schiller- again part of that edge that got torn apart. Got stuck in with yards work, which was better. I like the attacking threat. If we win a game with a team of 20 year olds it won't be because we grimly defended our way to an 8-6 victory.

6. Strange- i'd be interested to see how he goes with a better hooker. Running game obviously good and our left edge is the only one which can string a few passes and get around a team atm. Probably runs his wider players out of space at times but he's one of our better performers.

7. Cook- I don't think Ricky will make this change but he's a better organiser and creative passer, which is what we need right now. Defence seems about on par with Weekes but I have only watched 1.5 Cup games this year. I think the ability to put on a play and score in the red zone would take an awful lot of pressure off the defence. When you can't it just gets dispiriting and makes it a matter of time until we crack open...

8. Mariota-

9. Woolford- seriously Ricky. Enough.

10. Tapine-

11. Young- i don't quite get all the criticism. He's scrambling like mad trying to cover all the lapses in the middle (and even the other edge!) I'm not dropping him for that.

12. Whitehead- experience might help that edge in defence. We don't get much in attack either way so far.

13. Puru- if we actually want a ball playing lock, then pick one. Smithies is a bit ponderous at it.

14. Starling- I don't think we've got the minutes into Trev, and I'm not sure Woolf will go 80 in Fg immediately.

15. Mooney- sticking with him. We're developing this year. The odd hard lesson comes with that. Torn with putting Saulo here instead.

16. Papali’i- maybe time to split Tapine and Papa.

17. Smithies- spells Whitehead and Puru as needed.

We could also put Smithies on the right edge. He'd at least make his tackles and protect Cook somewhat. I doubt he'd offer any less in attack than Whitehead.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

You’re right. I won’t hold my breath either but that’s not the point Billy. We both know what the point is!
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

BadnMean, with the young criticism, you’re right, he does an insane amount of scramble work but he is playing to 1/10th of what we have seen him play. He just isn’t delivering. A week or two in Reggies might wake him up. He is well below par atm.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BadnMean wrote:1. Stewart- sounds weird in such a loss but he defended well. I'm still waiting for the slick passing he's shown in reggies to come out. Might take him a while to catch up with that side of FG. He popped up to receive one or two offloads which is good. We could lean in on offloads more since our attack is struggling otherwise.

2. Savage- played ok I thought. Maybe a bit lazy on one 40-20 but I haven't seen a replay if he actually had a shot at it or if he just suffers from Mark Waugh syndrome and looks casual. He's fixed up most other areas of his game and is genuinely leading at times so I'd back him to sort that out too.

3. Timoko- huge game. Part of an entire edge that got terrorised in defence though.

5. Schiller- again part of that edge that got torn apart. Got stuck in with yards work, which was better. I like the attacking threat. If we win a game with a team of 20 year olds it won't be because we grimly defended our way to an 8-6 victory.

6. Strange- i'd be interested to see how he goes with a better hooker. Running game obviously good and our left edge is the only one which can string a few passes and get around a team atm. Probably runs his wider players out of space at times but he's one of our better performers.

7. Cook- I don't think Ricky will make this change but he's a better organiser and creative passer, which is what we need right now. Defence seems about on par with Weekes but I have only watched 1.5 Cup games this year. I think the ability to put on a play and score in the red zone would take an awful lot of pressure off the defence. When you can't it just gets dispiriting and makes it a matter of time until we crack open...

8. Mariota-

10. Tapine-

11. Young- i don't quite get all the criticism. He's scrambling like mad trying to cover all the lapses in the middle (and even the other edge!) I'm not dropping him for that.

12. Whitehead- experience might help that edge in defence. We don't get much in attack either way so far.

13. Puru- if we actually want a ball playing lock, then pick one. Smithies is a bit ponderous at it.

14. Starling- I don't think we've got the minutes into Trev, and I'm not sure Woolf will go 80 in Fg immediately.

15. Mooney- sticking with him. We're developing this year. The odd hard lesson comes with that. Torn with putting Saulo here instead.

We could also put Smithies on the right edge. He'd at least make his tackles and protect Cook somewhat. I doubt he'd offer any less in attack than Whitehead.
Agree mostly with this side, although I think with clever interchange use (yes I know thats unlikely) we don't need Starling on the bench, Puru to give Woolford a spell for middle 25 minutes or so. Starling offers less than Levi.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Regs Revolution wrote: April 29, 2024, 9:37 am BadnMean, with the young criticism, you’re right, he does an insane amount of scramble work but he is playing to 1/10th of what we have seen him play. He just isn’t delivering. A week or two in Reggies might wake him up. He is well below par atm.
Yeah Youngs in poor form no doubt but i reckon our horrible structure is playing a big part in Hudson trying to create too much himself and come up with a big play because of no ball playing or decent attacking structure around him.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

Regs Revolution wrote: April 29, 2024, 9:37 am BadnMean, with the young criticism, you’re right, he does an insane amount of scramble work but he is playing to 1/10th of what we have seen him play. He just isn’t delivering. A week or two in Reggies might wake him up. He is well below par atm.
I actually think these factors are linked. Hudson is the victim of us having no attacking structure in the last 2/3 seasons. He's constantly trying to come up with hero plays - as we've needed them to generate any points - but the fundamentals of the position, particularly his line running, haven't developed at all. Same applies in defense: yes the guy flies around out there, yes he works hard in cover, and yes he can make the occasional game changing play, but he also comes up with lapses on the edge that are nowhere near good enough for a guy on his salary. The Ramien try on the weekend a case in point.

I still believe he has the tools to be an elite player. But he needs to focus on the fundamentals of his job and attention to detail, rather than papering over the cracks with the occasional big play. Sadly with the lack of depth we have at the position he's borderline undroppable right now, making it even harder to instill any discipline in his play.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Regs Revolution wrote: April 29, 2024, 9:34 am
You’re right. I won’t hold my breath either but that’s not the point Billy. We both know what the point is!
I’d say the point is that Ricky is the coach, has the best seat on what the team needs, and will pick his best 17. I’m excited to see what that looks like tomorrow. I’ve got thoughts on what that will and won’t look like and suspect there will be some disappointed posters.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: April 29, 2024, 10:55 am I’d say the point is that Ricky is the coach, has the best seat on what the team needs, and will pick his best 17.
EXTREMELY BOLD **** coming from a guy who spent years on this site doing almost nothing else but **** canning Jarrod Croker's selections in FG?
:lol:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Keep on biting little fishies.... keep on biting
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Woodruff has to be named..it’s a must.

If Levi is named #9 I’ll I’ll I’ll..I don’t know what I’ll do.

I’m so sick of looking at those pretty pink tights.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Bloody_Burnham
Gary Coyne

Post by Bloody_Burnham »

gerg wrote: April 29, 2024, 10:02 am
BadnMean wrote:1. Stewart- sounds weird in such a loss but he defended well. I'm still waiting for the slick passing he's shown in reggies to come out. Might take him a while to catch up with that side of FG. He popped up to receive one or two offloads which is good. We could lean in on offloads more since our attack is struggling otherwise.

8. Mariota-

10. Tapine-

Agree mostly with this side, although I think with clever interchange use (yes I know thats unlikely) we don't need Starling on the bench, Puru to give Woolford a spell for middle 25 minutes or so. Starling offers less than Levi.

Starling has stopped doing the thing he does best, running from dummy half. Without his running game he doesn't offer much else and his service is too slow for NRL standard.
Last edited by Bloody_Burnham on April 29, 2024, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I'd still rather see Woolford start at 9 with Levi spelling him for 20min or so rather than Starling in the 14, but I suspect either way Starling's job is safe.

Although I suspect Levi's is as well.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2024, 11:02 am Keep on biting little fishies.... keep on biting
I’m Bart with the cupcake and I’ll
keep grabbing it no matter what :lol:
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Hard to see us going much better without a genuine halfback in the 7 jersey. Doesn't really matter who we drop or bring in if this isn't addressed imo. We should try Cook this week but really we should be looking to buy/loan a half for this season if we can't get Sanders here early. Other than that I'd be dropping both Levi and Starling for Woolford and Trevilyan. Starling had a chance to show he's up to NRL standard when Levi was hooked, then proved he wasn't which forced Levi back on. Our back five also was taught a lesson on the weekend. Schiller drops out for me. Kris has to step up or he should also lose his spot.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Botman wrote: April 29, 2024, 11:00 am
Billy Walker wrote: April 29, 2024, 10:55 am I’d say the point is that Ricky is the coach, has the best seat on what the team needs, and will pick his best 17.
EXTREMELY BOLD **** coming from a guy who spent years on this site doing almost nothing else but **** canning Jarrod Croker's selections in FG?
:lol:
He's only happy with Ricky's selections now that Croker and Cotric are gone and Danny **** Levi gets picked every week. If Levi gets dropped for Woolford, we'll see how happy he is with the coaches well-informed selections then.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Levi fair dinkum makes Burnham/Buttriss look like Steve Walters.
Last edited by Azza on April 29, 2024, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

Raiders_Pat wrote: April 29, 2024, 11:17 am Starling had a chance to show he's up to NRL standard when Levi was hooked
This club has given Tom Starling no less than 93 chances to show he's NRL standard. The answer is apparent. And though he isn't worse than Danny Levi, he is more frustrating, as he has at least a few attributes that could allow him to compete at this level, but across 6 seasons of first grade (six!) hasn't made even the slightest improvement to his deficiencies, including such fundamental skills as passing the ball from dummy half. Get rid.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Azza wrote: April 29, 2024, 11:27 am Levi fair dinkum makes Burnham look like Steve Walters.
Levi is so bad I actually yearn for the return of Luke Bateman to the role. Considering that was the worst hooking performance I've ever seen at the Raiders, that's saying something.
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

Woolford at nine, someone other than Starling at 14.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Finchy wrote:
Azza wrote: April 29, 2024, 11:27 am Levi fair dinkum makes Burnham look like Steve Walters.
Levi is so bad I actually yearn for the return of Luke Bateman to the role. Considering that was the worst hooking performance I've ever seen at the Raiders, that's saying something.
Luke Bateman, Ata Hingano, Adam Elliott

All better options than Danny Levi

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Bloody_Burnham
Gary Coyne

Post by Bloody_Burnham »

-TW- wrote: April 29, 2024, 11:39 am
Finchy wrote:
Luke Bateman, Ata Hingano, Adam Elliott

All better options than Danny Levi

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Considering a name change to Nuke Levi Island.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Unfortunately I think we're in the same spot as Brisbane a couple of years ago when they won the spoon. Everyone could see they had talented juniors and they needed time, but they were missing a decent halfback and they had Darius Boyd absolutely phoning it in at fullback, literally jumping to the turf to avoid making tackles.

It took poaching Reynolds from Souths (worst decision ever by Souths not to re-sign him) and Walsh feeling homesick and leaving the Warriors to turn them into a finals force again. Unfortunately losing Fog has put us in a similar position of being stacked with talented juniors but having no experienced general in the spine to guide them around (no Levi doesn't count).