2017 World Cup

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

2017 World Cup

Post by greeneyed »

Rugby league headhunts Asian Cup boss Michael Brown to oversee 2017 World Cup

Having just staged the Asian Cup, leading official Michael Brown has been headhunted to ensure the 2017 rugby league World Cup becomes the most engaging event in the sport's history.

Brown, who has more than 20 years of experience in the sporting sector, has just been appointed as the chief executive officer of the Rugby League World Cup. His most recent role was as CEO of the successful Asian Football Confederation's 2015 Asian Cup, but has experience in other top jobs including the boss of the Hawthorn Football Club and general manager of cricket at Cricket Australia.

Brown's appointment is considered a coup as rugby league attempts to expand the game internationally during an event in which 32 games will be played across 23 days in November and December 2017.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... hmp1l.html
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Re: 2017 World Cup

Post by Makaveli »

It's a great model, the Rugby League World Cup. Basically, if you aren't good enough to play for Australia, New Zealand, or England, I'm sure we will find some type of heritage or ancestral rule allowing you to play for a minnow.

You can then switch back to your first nation of choice when it suits you, and switch back again when you are no longer selected.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The quadrennial joke of the sporting world
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I fail to understand how rugby league supporters denigrate their sport in this way, while other codes supporters do everything possible to support their code. Of course, some rugby union supporters probably see it as their only hope, supporting international Union...
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I agree ge. The last two world cups have been great for the game
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

The League world cup is slowly growing , Aussies , Kiwis dominate . With Poms performing like they do in all sports.

but when you look at the other World cup tournamnets only a handful of teams dominate.

cricket world cup - 5 teams have won the tournament since 1975

4 winners in rugby - since 87

Since 1930 in the Soccer world cup only 8 different teams have won it

and in AFL , they have a world cup , but I'm guessing its at amateur level. Aussies do not participate.
Arnie
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Arnie »

I'm with you GE.
World Cups are a great spectacle. A great chance to showcase our beloved sport on an international level. Especially with USA and France getting to the quarter finals. Sure they may not have been native players but it puts a profile on that part of the world to grow.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Raidersrawesome wrote:The League world cup is slowly growing , Aussies , Kiwis dominate . With Poms performing like they do in all sports.

but when you look at the other World cup tournamnets only a handful of teams dominate.

and in AFL , they have a world cup , but I'm guessing its at amateur level. Aussies do not participate.
Shush it, it's only the Rugby league World Cup that's meant to be lopsided where only a few teams can win it.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Heaven forbid we support our own world cup
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Oh, fair go, dubs

Mate
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Not sure what is happening with eligibility rules but I really like how they have relaxed them for world cups in recent history allowing ex-pats and blokes of that heritage to allow some of the smaller countries to compete. If Tonga and Samoa develop some half decent playmakers over the next year or two they will genuinely compete with at least England.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Manbush wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:The League world cup is slowly growing , Aussies , Kiwis dominate . With Poms performing like they do in all sports.

Shush it, it's only the Rugby league World Cup that's meant to be lopsided where only a few teams can win it.
It's not about who can win it, it's about the level of competition.

In the RWC, there is 7 or 8 teams who are legitimately international standard, most of the players in the top 7 or 8 teams are paid professionals in respectable leagues around the world
in Soccer, once the finals kick off, everyone playing is a professional, and most of them in top levels of competition, every team is of a certain level of respectability

Where as in Cricket, there is like 5 teams worth a pinch of ****. In RL, there's 3. In AFL, just the 1.
The rest of the teams in those competitions play at a level that is actually park level for their spot, and the reason for that is because those teams are filled with actual amateur park level players
Please
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Please »

Pigman wrote:
Manbush wrote:

It's not about who can win it, it's about the level of competition.

In the RWC, there is 7 or 8 teams who are legitimately international standard, most of the players in the top 7 or 8 teams are paid professionals in respectable leagues around the world
in Soccer, once the finals kick off, everyone playing is a professional, and most of them in top levels of competition, every team is of a certain level of respectability

Where as in Cricket, there is like 5 teams worth a pinch of ****. In RL, there's 3. In AFL, just the 1.
The rest of the teams in those competitions play at a level that is actually park level for their spot, and the reason for that is because those teams are filled with actual amateur park level players
It's the unconscious bias at play again.
Well, at least Jack got paid.
greeneyed
Don Furner

2017 World Cup

Post by greeneyed »

This weekend's qualifiers.

Greece V Spain - full match replay

Spain 76
Greece 4

Tonga V Cook Islands - full match replay:

http://livestream.com/accounts/12168250 ... mute=false

Tonga 28
Cook Iskands 8
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Greece were right in that one until the ball was kicked off.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This result between Spain and Greece knocks out Malta.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lebanon V South Africa

Parramatta Eels star Reece Robinson and his brother, Melbourne Storm three-quarter Travis will lead a strong Lebanese Rugby League Federation Cedars squad against the South African Rugby League Rhinos in the upcoming Middle East-African World Cup Qualifiers, scheduled for 25th and 31st October at the Brakpan Stadium in Gauteng.

Lebanon squad:
Mark Daoud (Asquith Magpies), Jamie Clark, Richard Coorey, Ead Kassem, Elias Sukkar (Auburn Warriors), Chris Saab (Guildford Owls), James Boustani (Hills), Ray Finan, Robin Hachache, (Immortals RLFC), Travis Robinson (Melbourne Storm), James Elias (Newcastle Knights), Daniel Abou-Sleiman, Ahmed Ellaz, Tarek El Masri, Ray Moujalli (Newtown Jets), Reece Robinson (Parramatta Eels), Nick Kassis, Mitchell Mamary (Wentworthville Magpies), Wael Harb (Wolves FC), Adham El Zbaidieh

South Africa squad:
Jaice Terblanche (Barberton Bulldogs RLC), Marcell Viljoen, Rudolph Prinsloo, Theo Rhodes (Bears RLC), Shuab Samaai (Cape Town Hyenas RLC), Jason King (Emerald Tigers QRL), Deon Kramer, Jean Coetzer, Jean Pierre Nel (Harlequins RLC), Louis Musson (Parramatta RL NSWRL), Bradley Williams, Halvor Harris (Perth RL), Shane Gillham (Titans RL QRL), Christo Louw, Dwayne Botma, Johan Joubert, Nardus Raubenheimer, Ruaan Du Preez, Rupert Wells (UP-Tuks RLC), Gideon Mzembe (Wynnum Manly QRL)

Late news:

Lebanon has been forced to re-shuffle its squad following Reece Robinson’s withdrawal. The Parramatta Eel back is set to undertake a code switch to New South Wales Waratahs and made himself unavailable to the Lebanese Rugby League Federation.

Head coach Darren Maroon has replaced him with 19-year-old American University of Beirut back row Toufic El Hajj.

The Mount Lebanon native said, “I still remember the first day I saw a rugby league training session; I was immediately caught up in the magic of it all and ever since, it’s become such a massive part of my life.

“It has taught me and how it’s positively help change my life. I’m a better man today because of rugby league and being named a Cedar is the greatest and most humbling honour.”

RLWC on Facebook
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

The stadium seat colours remind me of this

Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

greeneyed wrote:Lebanon V South Africa

Parramatta Eels Star Reece Robinson and his brother, Melbourne Storm three-quarter Travis will lead a strong Lebanese Rugby League Federation Cedars squad against the South African Rugby League Rhinos in the upcoming Middle East-African World Cup Qualifiers.

Lebanon squad:
Mark Daoud (Asquith Magpies), Jamie Clark, Richard Coorey, Ead Kassem, Elias Sukkar (Auburn Warriors), Chris Saab (Guildford Owls), James Boustani (Hills), Ray Finan, Robin Hachache, (Immortals RLFC), Travis Robinson (Melbourne Storm), James Elias (Newcastle Knights), Daniel Abou-Sleiman, Ahmed Ellaz, Tarek El Masri, Ray Moujalli (Newtown Jets), Reece Robinson (Parramatta Eels), Nick Kassis, Mitchell Mamary (Wentworthville Magpies), Wael Harb (Wolves FC), Adham El Zbaidieh

South Africa squad:
Jaice Terblanche (Barberton Bulldogs RLC), Marcell Viljoen, Rudolph Prinsloo, Theo Rhodes (Bears RLC), Shuab Samaai (Cape Town Hyenas RLC), Jason King (Emerald Tigers QRL), Deon Kramer, Jean Coetzer, Jean Pierre Nel (Harlequins RLC), Louis Musson (Parramatta RL NSWRL), Bradley Williams, Halvor Harris (Perth RL), Shane Gillham (Titans RL QRL), Christo Louw, Dwayne Botma, Johan Joubert, Nardus Raubenheimer, Ruaan Du Preez, Rupert Wells (UP-Tuks RLC), Gideon Mzembe (Wynnum Manly QRL)

Late news:

Lebanon has been forced to re-shuffle its squad following Reece Robinson’s withdrawal. The Parramatta Eel back is set to undertake a code switch to New South Wales Waratahs and made himself unavailable to the Lebanese Rugby League Federation.

Head coach Darren Maroon has replaced him with 19-year-old American University of Beirut back row Toufic El Hajj.

The Mount Lebanon native said, “I still remember the first day I saw a rugby league training session; I was immediately caught up in the magic of it all and ever since, it’s become such a massive part of my life.

“It has taught me and how it’s positively help change my life. I’m a better man today because of rugby league and being named a Cedar is the greatest and most humbling honour.”

RLWC on Facebook
:lol:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I hope South Africa win. At least their team has some actual South Africans
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I'm surprised that irl hasn't tried to develop into nations like south Africa, to offer a chance or alternative to players who miss out on rugby.

I think the code should try and develop into Hawaii. Similar people to other Island nations like Tonga, Samoa and Fiji

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Boyd is so similar to Glen Lazarus it's not funny.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:Boyd is so similar to Glen Lazarus it's not funny.
You're not funny
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:
dubby wrote:Boyd is so similar to Glen Lazarus it's not funny.
You're not funny
Darius and Blake lazarus maybe
Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rugby League Ireland Wolfhounds have held off a fast finishing Scotland Rugby League Bravehearts to win 24 - 22 at the Netherdale, Galashiels on Friday night. Leading 18 - 4 at half time, Scotland fought back to lead 22 - 18 heading into the final quarter of the match before a Scott Grix try and a Liam Finn conversion handed the Wolfhounds the win.

https://www.facebook.com/IntlRL/photos/ ... 84/?type=3
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

International Rugby League

Catch the livestream of today's Rugby League World Cup Qualifier between the South African Rugby League Rhinos and Lebanese Rugby League Federation Cedars on the link below.

Broadcast: 3pm South Africa, 3pm Lebanon, 1pm United Kingdom, Midnight Australia (NSW/Victoria), 2am New Zealand.

Can the Rhino's reverse a 28-point deficit? Or will the Cedars qualify for their first World Cup since 2000?

Livestream: South Africa v Lebanon

http://www.asiapacificrl.com/livestream/

Broadcast seems to start at 11:30pm AEDT.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wales is now in pole position to take out the 2015 European Championship after winning their first Test in the south of Wales since 1948.

The 14 - 6 victory over FFR XIII - Fédération Française de Rugby à XIII leaves Wales as the only undefeated team in the tournament with one round remaining.

Wales will take on Rugby League Ireland in Bray next week, whilst France will take on Scotland Rugby League in Avignon.

https://www.facebook.com/IntlRL/photos/ ... 42/?type=3
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lebanon qualify for 2017 Rugby League World Cup

Lebanon have qualified their first World Cup since 2000 with a comprehensive second leg win over South Africa at the Bosman Stadium, Brakpan, Pretoria.

As in the first leg, Cedars winger Travis Robinson was the destroyer in chief with a second successive hat trick against the Rhinos, second rower Elias Sukker again the man of the match after another storming display, which saw Lebanon triumph 90-28 on aggregate.

Lebanon captain Chris Saab commented: “This is the best day of my life. We have been waiting for this moment for a very long time and I hope every Lebanese person – as well as past and present players – have something to smile about.”

SOUTH AFRICA 16
Tries: Mzembe (36), Wells (54), Viljoen (76)
Goals: Williams 2/3

LEBANON 50
Tries: Abou Sleiman (2), Robinson (11,19,44), Daoud (26), Sukkar (32), El Masri (60), Boustani (63), Kassis (74)
Goals: Boustani 7/10

Half time: 6-28
Referee: Phil Bentham (England)

Read more: http://www.asiapacificrl.com/2015/11/01 ... world-cup/
greeneyed
Don Furner

2017 World Cup

Post by greeneyed »

Two years to go until RLWC2017

There are just two years to go before the world’s best Rugby League teams play in the Final of the Rugby League World Cup 2017.

To mark the two year milestone Rugby League World Cup 2017 Chief Executive Officer, Michael Brown, revealed the new Tournament logo today with current and future Rugby League stars at a South Sydney Rabbitohs community clinic.

“Rugby League has never been stronger in Australia, New Zealand and around the world with more people watching and playing the game than ever before,” Mr Brown said.

Read more: http://www.nrl.com/two-years-to-go-unti ... fault.aspx
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

There is a lot of rugby league being played in more countries t these days. Gambia the newest

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: RLWC2017 logo launch

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

USA qualify for 2017 Rugby League World Cup

The United States became the 11th team to qualify for the 2017 Rugby League World Cup with a 34-24 win over Canada in Florida on Saturday.

Danny Howard, who plays for Sydney club Wentworthville in the NSW Cup, scored three of his side's eight tries in Jacksonville.

Read more: http://www.nrl.com/us-qualify-for-rugby ... fault.aspx
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

World Rankings released

The new World Rankings, issued by the Rugby League International Federation, have set up the 2016 international season perfectly.

The Four Nations tournament, to be played in the UK next autumn, will offer England, Australia and New Zealand the opportunity of going in to the 2017 World Cup as the number one ranked nation, a position currently held by the Kiwis.

Among the big movers are two nations who will compete in the 2016 World Cup Qualifiers – Europe; Spain who go up five places to 21 and the winners of European Championship B in 2015, Serbia, who now sit just outside the top ten.

1 (1) New Zealand
2 (2) Australia
3 (3) England
4 (4) Samoa
5 (5) France
6 (7) Ireland
7 (6) Fiji
8 (9) Wales
9 (8) Scotland
10 (10) USA
11 (14) Serbia
12 (12) Italy
13 (13) Canada
14 (11) PNG
15 (16) Russia
16 (15) Tonga
17 (18) Belgium
18 (23) Malta
19 (19) Germany
20 (20) Lebanon
21 (26) Spain
22 (17) Cook Islands
23 (22) Ukraine
24 (24) Greece
25 (27) Denmark
26 (21) Norway
27 (29) Jamaica
28 (25) Netherlands
29 (31) Sweden
30 (30) Czech Republic
31 (28) South Africa
32 (32) Niue
33 (33) Hungary
34 (34) Latvia
35 (35) Morocco

Read more: http://www.nrl.com/world-rankings-relea ... fault.aspx
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Visit the 2017 World Cup site: http://www.rlwc2017.com/
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Just read that Serbia are touring Australia this year.
Interesting to note that league was introduced to Serbia in 1953 but was banned in 1964. League returned to Serbia in 2000.
They have Brian Smith helping them as an advisor in preparing for the world cup.
Serbia are playing a lot of games and winning which is helping their international ranking.