Rugby League 2020

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: Rugby League 2020

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Brent Read saying Kyle Flanagan has been released from Roosters, heading to Bulldogs. Also says
Jake Clifford: Cowboys > Knights
Josh Ado-Carr: Storm > Bulldogs
Matt Burton: Penrith > Bulldogs

Source
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

Today Wigan take on St Helens in what yet end up being a title-decider: it's by no means certain that the season will be fully completed, there is already talk of changing the play-off system (again! for the second tine this year) in an effort to get the season to some kind of conclusion, whilst Covid cases still mount up.

And as for Roosters/Souths fans talking about the biggest rivalry: this will be the 326th competitive contest between Wigan and Saints! The first was in the first season of rugby league in 1895.
moto748
Gary Coyne

Post by moto748 »

And Wigan win 6-18 and go top of the table, :D snuffing the Saints out in the second half with superb defence. And the margin should have been bigger; Wigan scored four tries to one, but only managed one successful kick from the usually reliable Zak Hardaker.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

moto748 wrote:And Wigan win 6-18 and go top of the table, :D snuffing the Saints out in the second half with superb defence. And the margin should have been bigger; Wigan scored four tries to one, but only managed one successful kick from the usually reliable Zak Hardaker.
up the cherries

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
moto748
Gary Coyne

Post by moto748 »

And hot on the heels of that derby win comes the announcement that Bevan French will indeed be staying at Wigan. Most fans had written him off as returning to Australia, likewise Jackson Hastings. Now we know French is staying for sure, and Hastings may well be be. This is a bold move by the Club in the current difficult climate with the virus. French has been superb for us in the last few weeks, solid defensively and also creating some magical tries out of next to nothing in attack with his remarkable pace and footwork. With JB returning, we have the nucleus of a champion side next season.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

French is not an nrl player, he's best served destroying the esl, much like Austin.

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

moto748 wrote:And hot on the heels of that derby win comes the announcement that Bevan French will indeed be staying at Wigan. Most fans had written him off as returning to Australia, likewise Jackson Hastings. Now we know French is staying for sure, and Hastings may well be be. This is a bold move by the Club in the current difficult climate with the virus. French has been superb for us in the last few weeks, solid defensively and also creating some magical tries out of next to nothing in attack with his remarkable pace and footwork. With JB returning, we have the nucleus of a champion side next season.
Just out of curiosity how are Sezer and Austin going these days?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
moto748
Gary Coyne

Post by moto748 »

gergreg wrote: November 3, 2020, 7:18 am
moto748 wrote:And hot on the heels of that derby win comes the announcement that Bevan French will indeed be staying at Wigan. Most fans had written him off as returning to Australia, likewise Jackson Hastings. Now we know French is staying for sure, and Hastings may well be be. This is a bold move by the Club in the current difficult climate with the virus. French has been superb for us in the last few weeks, solid defensively and also creating some magical tries out of next to nothing in attack with his remarkable pace and footwork. With JB returning, we have the nucleus of a champion side next season.
Just out of curiosity how are Sezer and Austin going these days?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
They are going OK. Sezer is playing in a struggling side, who continue to lose games by narrow margins week by week. According the latest tweaks made by the RFL, we will play Huddersfield effectively for the League Leader's Shield (minor Premiership) on Friday. Austin is doing OK at Warrington, but the re-arrival of Widdop doesn't seemed to have helped; they are not meshing as a partnership. Personally I would not swap either for Hastings. I know some sarcastic comments were made about him upthread, but don't judge him on England appearances; nobody came out of the Bennett shambles looking good. Fact is, Hastings has been bloody good for us this season, he is always involved, puts in a hell of a shift every week, and certainly has his fair share of tries and assists.
moto748
Gary Coyne

Post by moto748 »

bonehead wrote: November 3, 2020, 6:36 am French is not an nrl player, he's best served destroying the esl, much like Austin.

Is that post based on actually watching SL games, or is it just a bit of wotireckon?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

moto748 wrote:
bonehead wrote: November 3, 2020, 6:36 am French is not an nrl player, he's best served destroying the esl, much like Austin.

Is that post based on actually watching SL games, or is it just a bit of wotireckon?
it's from watching French in the nrl

Edrick The Entertainer
moto748
Gary Coyne

Post by moto748 »

Well Wigan beat Huddersfield tonight to take the League Leader's Shield (minor premiership). In a shortened season, we have won more games than anyone else, and have played all the other top sides twice, which of our rivals have avoided. We now have a week off before taking on the lowest ranked survivor of the two play-off games for a place in the GF.

Further good news: in our last games, we have restricted our opponents to just one try.

I'm sure George and the boys are watching and cheering us on. Obviously this season I was hoping for the fairy-tale finish, with the Raiders winning the GF and coming to Wigan next year for the WCC, that would have been so perfect! :D Sadly that didn't happen, but we are still in with a good shout for our end of the deal.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

If you get a chance to catch up on the Super League Grand Final, watch it.

One of THE great games with an unbelievable finish.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

MrPosh wrote:If you get a chance to catch up on the Super League Grand Final, watch it.

One of THE great games with an unbelievable finish.
insane

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched the replay. An awful grind, but what a finish! Better than the Rapana try against the Knights in golden point! Won’t that young remember that for the rest of his life.

The game was presented beautifully, given no crowds. The stadium dressed beautifully, the pre game was excellent. Always shed a tear during Jerusalem, what a beautiful performance.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Statement on Isaac Moses

The NRL Appeals Committee has issued its decision in respect of an appeal brought by Mr Isaac Moses. Mr Moses’ accreditation under the NRL Player Agents Accreditation Scheme was cancelled by the NRL in June 2020.

The independent Committee upheld the NRL’s findings that Mr Moses breached his obligations as an Accredited Agent in 2017 by counselling, procuring and assisting one of his clients to give evidence to the NRL that was false and intended to mislead an investigation by the NRL Integrity and Compliance Unit.

The Appeals Committee will now hear submissions from the parties on whether the cancellation of Mr Moses’ accreditation should be confirmed, or some other sanction be imposed.

The cancellation of Mr Moses registration will not take effect until notified by the NRL.

NRL media release
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

If the NRL don’t withdraw Moses’ license from being a player then what good are they.

Moses has acted far worse than players such as Carney and Monaghan who never played NRL again.

For the good of the game Vlandy’s must act on Moses.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jared Maxwell appointed referees boss

The National Rugby League (NRL) has today appointed Jared Maxwell, General Manager – Elite Officiating.

Jared takes on the role after a decorated career as a first-grade match official which included over 275 NRL Matches, State of Origin and Test Match appointments. He most recently served as NRL Bunker Operations Manager and has been a member of the NRL Match Appointments Committee.

NRL Head of Football – Elite Competitions Graham Annesley said Jared would oversee both elite officiating and bunker operations.

“Jared was a leading referee for over a decade, then transitioned into coaching second-tier referees, before being appointed bunker manager last year and becoming a member of the match officials’ appointments committee,’’ he said.

“Jared knows our referees well and the referees know Jared well. He understands the game and its clubs, but importantly has some innovative ideas to enhance the way our match officials prepare for a game.”

Jared Maxwell said he was looking forward to the opportunity of overseeing the NRL match officials.

“It’s an honour to be appointed to such an important role. Our match officials did an outstanding job last year adapting to the new rules and I’m looking forward to taking that to the next level in the 2021 season,’’ he said.

“We all want to see fast, entertaining rugby league and I’ll work closely with all officials to ensure the players are given every opportunity to achieve that.”

NRL media release
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

They keep bouncing between ordinary refs as refs boss

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

He can’t be worse than the last refs boss.