2020 State of Origin III - Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Maroons 13+
No votes
Maroons 1-12
67%
Draw
No votes
Blues 1-12
33%
Blues 13+
No votes

Total votes: 6

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2020 State of Origin III - Teams and Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Looks like there were some #NSWdirtytactics too! But surely no one would be surprised at that!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

2020 State of Origin III - Teams and Game Day

Post by The Nickman »

Six years later and they just still don’t get origin #JDGI
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The one thing i always find really weird during origin is that people who usually are in lock step about what a raw deal the Raiders get, are always at odds come origin time... it's a very strange phenomenon and i cant quite put my finger on why it happens.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NSW just will never understand Origin and the Queensland spirit. NSW just don’t get Origin. The Blues jersey just doesn’t mean as much to NSW as the Maroons jersey means to Queensland.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The Nickman wrote: November 22, 2020, 11:56 am
RedRaider wrote:
Ruben Daley wrote: November 21, 2020, 10:46 am
The Nickman wrote: November 21, 2020, 7:59 am
moto748 wrote:Surely pointing out that Ponga and Tom T are still to return only highlights the issue. NSW already tried to shoe-horn too many play-makers in (hence Wighton and Gutho in the centres). With Ponga and Tom T available, how do you fit them all in (yeah, drop Gutho, but still...)? Actually, personally I've never been that sold on Turbo Tom. He seems a bit, well, fragile, and he's below Ponga and Gutho in the full-back pecking order for me.
Ponga is also a Queenslander and probably walks back into the Maroons Number 1 jersey

Not picking actual centres is such a NSW thing to do, Ponga doesn’t even belong in this debate
You're right about NSW not picking actual centres but QLD started a second-rower at centre and he did well. It depends on the player and the team around them. I don't know what was wrong with Jack this series but he isn't an example of a shoehorn selection. Technically, he was out of position but he's perfectly suited to centre and has played rep footy there to a really high level. There were many, many years when a large percentage of this forum were claiming he was out of position when he played anywhere but centre.

The problem was he just stunk it up this year. On the flip side, Brenko did well on Wednesday but under no measurement known to man should he rank higher up the best centres list than Jack.

Gutho was out of position and was exploited. That was an odd choice because the qualities that make him a good fullback (backing up through the middle, positioning, chiming into backline moves etc.) don't translate to centre and his weaknesses that aren't as big an issue at fullback (size, one-on-one defence) are a problem at centre. Next year, one or more of Staggs, Lomax and Crichton will get picked.

Turbo is a top shelf player and can play anywhere in the back five for me. He just needs to be fit, which I worry he won't ever fully be.
Ruben, I think the issue with Jack this series was Angus Crichton. I am struggling to think when he passed the ball to his left center partner. In game three when Tupou scored that silky try on the left the backs organised themselves and with Crichton out of it and Jack running the decoy play it was a good try.

Of the Qld tries in game three the one where NSW were most caught out was the Edrick try. There was no one on the left side of the park. I looked at why. Tupou was involved in try saving the play before after Munsters double kick play. Understandable Tupou would have difficulty in getting across. Jack and Crichton chased across field but the Brenko fumble and Edrick right foot step led them to overchase and go past the ball. So where was Cody Walker? When Munster gets the ball for the kick across field he is not in the shot. There are six blues in the shot but he is not amongst them. On such positional plays do Origin series rest.

When I looked at the series as a whole NSW outscored Qld 62 points to 48.
The only score that counts is Queensland won 2-1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That is 100% correct Nickman. I was giving some series facts in response to comments that Fittler cannot coach. To go down in a decider does not mean one side is perfect and the other is poor. One side, Qld, was better when it counted. No question. But Fittler in terms of Series he has coached is two from three which isn't bad.

We all have opinions on how things could have been done better. One for me would be at the selection table. I said before the series began that I thought Klemmer should have been picked. His post contact meters in 2020 Premiership rounds were up with the best in the League. I also think it strange that after winning the Dally M player of the year from the 5/8 position that the NSW selectors and coaching staff would pick not one but two 5/8s before Jack (Keary and Walker). They did select a ready made left center in Stephen Crichton in the squad. He had proved himself all year in the NRL. So what if he is only 20. If you are good enough you are old enough imo. I know Papenhuyzen was in the discussions for the Game 3 bench and the toss of the coin decision went against him. In hindsight the selectors would want that one over again. I can't wait for the 2021 series.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I think that Anastasia Palaszczuk has given us a pretty good display of what the Queensland Spirit is all about, and to be honest it's pretty ugly and nothing to be proud of.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:I think that Anastasia Palaszczuk has given us a pretty good display of what the Queensland Spirit is all about, and to be honest it's pretty ugly and nothing to be proud of.
You would say that... sore loser
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It’s time for NSW to concede the 2020 State of Origin series. You know, we won, you lost. Time to concede the Queensland spirit prevailed. We know we generally win. It must hurt. But we still love you and it’s time for all Canberra Raiders fans to come together, regardless if you’re from NSW or Queensland. Of course, we draw the line at Victorians. We might see you on the Gold Coast next year Dr Zaius. Or maybe at Lang Park. Provided the borders are open.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:I think that Anastasia Palaszczuk has given us a pretty good display of what the Queensland Spirit is all about, and to be honest it's pretty ugly and nothing to be proud of.
You would say that... sore loser
Except, you agree with me Image
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:Well clearly there were some dodgy penalties and dodgy refereeing back in 2014!
And some dodgy posters by the look of things...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

NSW WON BY A LOT, IT WAS A RIGGED ORIGIN. NSW WON THE FOR AND AGAINST BY MILLIONS. QUEENSLANDS FAKE NEWS BORDERS STOLE THE ORIGIN

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Having said all that, I’d love #fourmoreyearsoffreddie